Soulmates - Chapter 1

by Lefty

0•18•32•48

I rub my thumb against the numbers on my wrist as they tick steadily down. A part of me hopes that if I do this long enough that they will stop, but of course that’s a foolish assumption. The numbers never stop until the last one reaches zero.

“Hailey…”

It’s almost as if I can hear a ticking sound in my head of the numbers slowing decreasing in size. 43… 42… Tick… Tick…

“Hailey?”

I’m pulled out of my mind and my consciousness is abruptly dragged back to the dinner table. “Huh?”

“Ohh…” Mom gives me this look. This… over-exaggerated smile like you would give a three year old who just did something adorable. “She’s nervous.”

“Huh?” I look at the others who sit around the table, hoping someone can save me from my hopeless confusion. Dad, my older brother Lineal, my older sisters Kaitlyn and Sophie and Sophie’s new husband John. Nope. Sophie melts into the same expression as Mom and Dad just gives me a reassuring smile while the others stare expectantly.

I give a small laugh and a half smile. Why are they staring at me?

“Hailey, it’s nothing to be nervous about! Everyone finds their soulmate eventually. And you’re one of the lucky ones, being so young.” Mom looks over at Dad and squeezes his arm. “Oh, those poor people who live half their lives before finding their soulmate. They must be so lonely.”

Dad flashes a sweet smile and gives her arm a squeeze back.Now I get it. They caught me looking at my wrist. When I look around the table, everyone is still staring at me. Sophie looks like she’s on the edge of squealing with joy for me. I sink down in my chair. Can the attention turn to someone else now?

“What are you going to wear?” Sophie asks me. “Surely you’ve thought about it. I mean, it’s the most important day of your life.”

“Erm… Not really.”

Mom gasps. “What about that adorable yellow dress with the flowers?”

“No… Oh! What about the bridesmaid dress she wore to my wedding?” Sophie suggests. “She looked so pretty.”

“That would be perfect. That dress along with taking a curling iron to her hair and a touch of lipgloss…”

Heat rises on my cheeks and my stomach tightens into knots the longer they go on.

Kaitlyn gives me a smile of pity. “Come on, you two. You’re smothering her.”

“And those beautiful white sandals,” Sophie adds, obviously ignoring her. “If she wears all that, Hailey will be so gorgeous the lucky guy won’t be able to breathe.”

They look over at me. “What do you think?”

A expression of dread crosses my face. I don’t want to dress up at all. Isn’t the point of having a soulmate that they love you for who you are? I never bother with curling my hair or dressing so fancy normally, so why should I look different than I normally am to make a first impression?

“Oh, Diane. You made her blush,” Dad says.

No… I’m blushing because everyone is staring at me. “Can we just drop it? Please?”

“But tomorrow is going to be the most exhilarating day of your life!” Mom places her hands in her lap and sighs. “You look like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders and I want you to know it’s okay.”

“Hailey asked to change the subject and it’s only right to abide by that,” Kaitlyn tells her. “Let’s just give her some space.”

Dad pipes in. “She’ll have a completely different mindset after it happens anyway.”

Mom shrugs. “Fine.” Then she turns to me. “Can you pass the peas? That’s what I was asking you when I caught you looking at your number.” That look spreads over her face again.

Embarrassment and anxiety seep into my body. She says it looks like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders, but that’s only because they put it there.

“Sure, Mom.” I grab the rim of the bowl and hand it over to her.

The table is silent for a few moments besides the sound of clinking dishes and food being chewed around me. I pick at the food around my plate, my appetite vanquished. Wishing for the wonderful quiet to continue.

My wish doesn’t come true.

Sophie’s eyes widen and she puts her fork down. “You know what would be perfect? If she wore those earrings I got her for Christmas.”

“Yes,” Mom agrees. “That’s what was missing.”

I can’t talk about this anymore. It’s suffocating. I push away from the table and lay my napkin on top of my plate.

“Where are you going?” she asks.

“I’m not very hungry,” I say politely. Then I turn away and begin climbing the stairs.

By the time I reach the top, they seem to think I’m far enough from ear range that they can talk about me. I sink down onto my knees and grab onto the bars of the railing, pressing my head against the bars.

“Diane…” Dad’s voice.

“What? I don’t think she realizes how exciting this is! It seems like everyone is excited but her.” Mom’s voice.

“She’s anxious. Just give her some space. I bet she’ll be giddy by morning.”

Can I get in on that bet? What do I get if I win? A time extension on my number?

I sigh and rise to my feet. Pushing through my bedroom door, I close it behind me and plop down on my bed. It’s the best day of your life. It’s the day everyone waits their whole lives for. It’s the day your whole life changes.

Isn’t that enough to make anyone feel like they want to throw up? Even if it’s for the better? I almost feel like staying home from school tomorrow. I know it’s going to be excruciating from the moment I get there until the time I leave. That look that Mom and Sophie gave me will be plastered on half my classmates faces for the entire day as well as more interrogations. Are you excited? What do you think he’ll look like?

Everyone dreams of the perfect cookie cutter life. It goes like this: they anxiously await the first day of the rest of their lives when their number reaches zero, they fall into their soulmates open arms and fall instantly in love. Then comes the dream wedding, the house, the kids, a hopeless love whose spell they will be under for the rest of their lives, then awaiting the experience to start all over with their own kids. No one has to worry about it working out or not, because they are destined for each other. Made by fate to be the perfect couple.

That’s the track Sophie and John are on. They’re so lovey-dovey with each other it’s nauseating. And they tell their story so much I have it memorized word for word. ‘I remember that day like it was yesterday.’ She would always start out. ‘Just me, walking along the beach with the waves lapping up over my feet. I was so giddy as I awaited my soulmate that the only thing that kept me from exploding with excitement was the calming waves and the beautiful colors of the sky as the sun set over the horizon. Then finally, the numbers on my arm fell to zero and I heard the three beeps I’d awaited my entire life for. I knew the man I was going to spend the rest of my life with standing behind me.’ This is when she would gaze lustfully into John’s eyes and he would wrap his arm around her. ‘I turned to see John, the most handsome man I had ever met. He picked me up and spun me around. Then he kissed me and looked deep into my eyes and from then on I knew it love at first sight.’ Blah… Blah… Blah…

Two months later they had their dream wedding. John, a happy handsome penguin with a bowtie. Sophie, a beautiful bride to be in a flowing dress of white lace. Dad, walking her down the isle. Mom, bawling tears of joy from before the wedding even began. Kaitlyn and I were the bridesmaids of course, while Lineal and John’s brother were the groomsmen. It was a beautiful wedding and I couldn’t be more pleased for my big sister. I’ve never seen her happier than she is now.

I didn’t even think about myself or my own number until the wedding reception. I mean, I literally never thought about it for more than couple seconds at a time before brushing it off. It always seemed so far away that I didn’t bother to dwell on it. But when the reception started, so did the family members with them walking up to me and saying the dreaded two words: ‘you’re next’. My number said 82 days at that point. And that’s when it hit me that it was coming up. Sophie was twenty-two when her clock hit zero. Lineal’s is due to go off a few days after mine, which is a weird coincidence. He’s two years older than me after all. He’s supposed to graduate from high school a couple weeks after that. Which makes me the youngest at sixteen to have my soulmate revealed to me.

See, everyone is born with a number in their wrist. It starts ticking down the moment you’re born. The lowest number I’ve ever seen was 1460 days, making them just four years old. I’ve even seen it start upwards of 25,000 days. Those are the “poor” people Mom talks about. Mine started at the ripe number of 6028 days.

I hold my arm up and look at the number ticking away again. Bright green, LED-like numbers embedded in my skin. I can’t feel them, not in my body nor when I rub a finger across them. But in the last few months, I’ve known it’s there, always.

They say that fate only reveals your soulmate to you when you’re ready. If you see them before your number hits zero, it doesn’t matter. Fate knows when you’ll be ready to meet your soulmate from the time you’re born, so if you meet them before that time, it will stay a secret. The funny thing is, I feel like I’m the farthest thing from ready. To be honest—and I think if I told anyone this they would have me locked away—I’m not sure I want to get married or have that cookie-cutter life. Maybe I wouldn't mind getting married if there wasn’t all the strings and expectations attached. But what if I like being on my own? What if I want to travel the world? Not everyone who finds their soulmate and gets married lives the cookie-cutter, but with my family—and a lot of others—anything else is unthinkable.

Maybe I would be okay with it if everyone didn’t make such a big deal about it or make it feel so important. But when Mom and Sophie go off fantasizing about who I’m destined for and what I should wear and how it will be the “most important day of my life”, all it does it terrify me and give me overwhelming anxiety. Just thinking about it now, my heart is racing. At least with me being only sixteen they won’t start pestering me about marriage and kids for at least a couple years.

I sink down under the covers on my bed and pull them up over my head. At least all this pestering will be over with by the end of tomorrow. But with one ending, starts a new beginning.

-----------------------------------------------

Authors Note: I have done very little editing on this and am not sure how I like it but I was curious what people thought of it and we shall see where it goes. And yes, I finally posted something that isn't TFoA related. Shocking, I know. :o

Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am
Messenger wrote a review...

heey it's Messy here cot a review in who knows how long.
I'm not going to deal with grammar here, I'm just going to focus on the story, so here goes.

This idea seems pretty original to me. I don't read a ton, do maybe its more common than i think, but even so the majority of stories don't have this element, and i love it! It adds some mystery and suspense to the story immediately, since we don't know who the MC will meet. I like your pace, and the voice that you've chosen. It allows for tour first person thinking to blend naturally with the rest of the story.

The characters are new, and will take some getting used to, but you've got a good start of letting us know a bit about who everyone is, and the sort of personality they have. I could maybe use a little more description. I'm not really feeling where the time period is here, other than its advanced because of the arm numbers. Also, when the MC goes up the stairs, she stops, and then the next time she moves she's in bed. Where's the transition? Maybe i missed it. I don't know.

Ooveral its a solid start. Be careful with the ellipses as a heads up. Don't get dependant on them!!

~Messy

Mageheart wrote a review...

Ooh, I love the whole soulmates idea! Back over on fanfiction.net, I've seen people so it countless times with countless different ways you know. Like I believe one person made it so you see the world with color or something like that. But I like how different the protagonist is. She doesn't want her hair done or anything like that. She just wants to be who she really is when the moment comes. She's not really excited for her Prince Charming, at least compared to her family. I think that's why I consider her to be such an awesome character.
You do some cool world building here. I like how you mention the numbers that people have on their wrists with specific examples. That's pretty awesome, at least to me.
I'm sorry that I can't really do grammar advice here. I'm still learning myself. But keep up the awesome work (which I doubt you'll have trouble with), and good luck on your writing endeavors!
By the way, #TeamTARDIS !

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:36 am
Snoink wrote a review...

Eek! What an intriguing idea! I love how you have a timer that will go off when you find the soulmate! It's a very interesting and original idea.

Plus, you have really good pacing. I love how you intersperse action with dialogue with thoughts... it just is really well done and just draws you into the story. Very good writing! Well done!

Now... a bit of a grammar nitpick:

It goes like this: they anxiously await the first day of the rest of their lives when their number reaches zero, they fall into their soulmates open arms and fall instantly in love.

Should be:

It goes like this: they anxiously await the first day of the rest of their lives when their number reaches zero, they fall into their soulmate's open arms and fall instantly in love.

As far as commentary goes, I think that it's strange that they talk so much about the clothes or what she should wear and not really anything about the spot that she's going to be when she meets her soulmate. After all, Sophie goes specially to a beach to meet her soulmate! Where will Hailey be? It seems like it would be an interesting question to throw in!

If I were her parent, I would probably be a little unnerved. After all, Sophie is 22. That's an adult. But, Hailey? She's only 16! Unless somehow in this world, she's considered to be an adult, there's still more work to be done! And now you're going to throw in a soulmate? I would be more comfortable thinking about Lineal's soulmate date coming up in the next couple of days than Hailey's.

Also... is this watch attached to them? Like, can they choose not to wear it? Because it doesn't seem that way...

Now! A bit of speculation on my part, because speculation is fun! Though, I'll read the next chapter soon and maybe I'll see if I get it right... :)

- I think she's right that it'll be someone who seems to fit her better and who will accept her as she is, so I think that's good! I know that my first meeting with my now-husband, I was wearing jeans and a hoodie... and he thought I was awesome. So, this is possible!

- It would be interesting if the soulmate was someone who was not typical! The strangest plot twist that I could think of is that she meets no one. But, there are plenty of other strange plot twists that can be made from this...

Anyway! It's an intriguing idea, my fellow Tardis rider! I shall be happy to read the next chapter and see where it goes. :)

steampowered wrote a review...

Hello, steampowered here for a review! Sorry it’s a bit late… :)

I found this a really interesting premise, and I’m looking forward to reading Chapter 2 and finding out what happens next.

0•18•32•48

When I first read this I immediately thought this was based off the film “In Time” where everyone has a clock in their arms and then when the numbers hit zero, they die (if you’re not familiar with the film, you might want to watch or find a synopsis of it) Even though the premise turned out to be something different, you might want to consider that the reader might instantly think of that film when they read the opening. Despite this, I did like the idea.

My number said 82 days at that point. And that’s when it hit me that it was coming up. Sophie was twenty-two when her clock hit zero.

You’ve got some inconsistency here. I’d personally write all the numbers out as words, so maybe “eighty-two days” would tie in better with the fact you said “twenty-two” in the next sentence?

Lineal’s is due to go off a few days after mine, which is a weird coincidence.

Hmm, this is intriguing… I’m assuming this is part of the story? Unless it’s got some bearing on the events that are going to happen over the course of the novel, I’d probably cut it out.

Overall, I thought this was really good (one of the more awesome ideas I’ve come across on YWS) although like Megrim said, there’s quite a lot of explanation in this chapter and it might be good to tease some of the less important information out across further chapters. I’m sorry this review was so short, but I didn’t have a lot to criticise – the chapter was really well-written, and I enjoyed reading it. Keep writing!

Lefty says...

Hi, Steam! I am familiar with the movie "in time" and because of this I considered having the number be somewhere else, but I'm not sure how to make it more different otherwise. Thanks for pointing that out though. I see what you mean with the inconsistency. I was using numbers when talking about the numbers on their wrist and spelling it out when I was referring to other things like their age. I do get you're point though and might change that. I will definitely consider all of your suggestions. Thanks again!

Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:08 am
WriterXAnonymous wrote a review...

This is brilliant. I love the idea and concept of the whole story. I always wanted someone to write a book about this and now you made my wish come true. You are very good at putting the plot and details together. This will be amazing after you finish it. Please continue it and make the rest, I am very curious about what is going to happen. This story is my favorite by far.

Lefty says...

Thank you so much! I'm so glad that you liked it. Hopefully I will be able to get chapter 2 up soon!

erilea says...

GIVE ME NUMBER 2

Lefty says...

erilea says...

GIVE ME NUMBER 2

Megrim wrote a review...

I loved this! It's a fun premise. There's immediate suspense and then you also have the conflict with the MC not really wanting it to happen. Great idea!

I see what you mean about having done little editing, as there are a lot of typos, but I figure you'll get to those in time so no need to pick them all out for you at the moment. The prose was generally very nice, no complaints here regarding word usage or sentence structure. Crisp and clean writing.

Regarding execution, I had a few thoughts. One thing I noticed is that the emotions are usually told instead of shown. I find that particularly tricky and am always wondering how I can put in emotional cues without directly stating them, especially if the character is self-aware of what they're feeling. I like to use as much body language and visceral responses as possible (without becoming repetitive, which can be hard). Especially since this is first person, I feel like we should get really into this girl's skin and feel what she feels. Like I can appreciate what you mean when she says anxiety seeps into her body, but it doesn't create any feelings in me as the reader, because it's kind of factual. I guess it's like having sympathy for understanding that someone went through a hardship, versus that strong emotion of feeling your heart go out to someone when you actually see them suffering right in front of you. One's more intellectual and distant.

As a side note on that topic, this line stood out to me: "A expression of dread crosses my face." It almost seems a teeny bit like a POV slip, even though I know she would know what her expression is. Yet it kind of reads like she can see her own face.

The other major thing that stuck out to me is that, while pretty interesting, the scene doesn't have much of a purpose other than to explain things to the reader. It doesn't have much in the way of a beginning/middle/end arc. It does have some conflict, which I like, but not a lot of forward momentum. And I've always said that flashback land is not a good place to be in the first chapter. I've heard advice that says you should start the story as late as possible. It probably would be good to have some set-up before she actually meets the soulmate, but I wonder if you could pack some more punch in the first chapter. For one thing, I felt the conversation got to be redundant, which made it feel like it dragged on. The same sort of thing was said a bunch of times in different ways.

Personally I try to keep the introspection, worldbuilding, and backstory to a minimum for at least the first two chapters. Definitely still present, but only those things which are immediately relevant to what's going on in the here and now. The way I figure, the important part is the unfolding scene where the character has to act and make decisions. The worldbuilding and backstory is all backdrop to the things that are going to carry the novel. I think it's easier to get a reader invested by dangling hooks for the immediate future (which you have done with the due date tomorrow).

So if it were me editing this, I'd take a look at the conversation and setting and see what I could do to spice it up. Yes the soulmate thing is a big deal, but what additional worry or external force could I put in there that's unrelated? Sometimes I find it helps to give a scene a mini goal/arc, like trying to get somewhere or complete a small task, a mini story within the larger plot. I don't know if it's a good example but something off the top of my head might be if she felt ill, and had to keep splitting her concentration between that and what's going on around her. Or has a side project she needs to worry about and wants all this soulmate stuff to leave her alone, because she has other things taking up her attention. Or possibily I might just dial up the conflict between the family--maybe damage a relationship with one of them, so at the end of the chapter things are a bit up in the air. Like maybe one of them drives her to school, and they get mad enough at each other that she'll have to walk... then that's how she ends up meeting the soulmate! That's always fun, when you can use the mini-conflict to push the larger plot forward too.

Anyway there's some brainstorming for you, no idea if it's any use. I'd definitely take a look at trimming the conversation to eliminate redundancy, regardless of what you choose to do.

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see ch2.

Lefty says...

Thanks so much for your review. Since I'm just starting with this I really appreciate any suggestions and comments you have. I really like what you said about a second smaller goal. Maybe part of her dead is because so has something else she already wants to pursue or a passion of some kind. I'll define toy take what you said into consideration. Thanks again!

Lefty says...

*definitely - not define toy. Silly auto correct.

Lefty says...

*dread not dead
*she not so
Wow, I wish I could edit comments. Sorry about that!

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus