12+

Nostalgia - Chapter 3 (Part 1 of 2)

by Lavvie

For LMS. Word count: 962. Take note of the fact that the character Xavier Sage mentioned in a previous chapter is now named Cadogan Sage. 

Cora’s mind was always elsewhere during the spontaneous camping trip with her parents. She held no interest in roasting plastic-encased-rat’s-testicles (hot dogs) over an open flame or indulging in the sticky, white mess of a marshmallow. It was obvious that both David and Henrietta wanted to engage their daughter in the best ways possible, but they had lost her years ago – a fact both known and ignored by the two frumpy accountants.

In an effort to bond, Henrietta proposed a hike the morning of their departure. “It will be fun!” She had squealed with the immensely forced delight that only a mother can produce when the relationship with daughter is not going so well. Both David and Cora groaned – perhaps the one thing that they shared in common – as David had a bit of a beer belly and Cora, well, Cora was in an eternal state of Nostalgia daydreaming. Nevertheless, the unlikely three went off up the mountain.

It was only a few minutes in when David surrendered, leaning up against a mossy tree, chest heaving heavily. Cora spent more time pondering the shapes of the clouds above than moving forward. Henrietta was exasperated.

“Why is it that every time we want to do something as a family, everything fails?” shrieked the flustered woman accountant.

“You were the one who wanted to do something as a family. I was perfectly happy leaving early, Henrietta,” replied David, sternly.

“I didn’t even want to come on the camping trip in the first place,” added Cora. The clouds had momentarily lost her attention.

“See! That’s the problem, here,” cried Henrietta, pointing the blame at her daughter. “From the very first day that we let you do your own thing, you’ve practically left us for dead. More people in town think that Hugo and Elita are your parents and some don’t even know that we exist! It’s preposterous!”

Cora glared back, green eyes flashing darkly and brow furrowed. She walked right up to her mother and stopped, just barely two inches from the flustering face. “Don’t blame me for your lack of presence in Savoury. You’re the ones who hide away day and night in a house isolated from the rest of the town. You have never tried to embrace the beauty and personality of the place. That is all your fault! That is what pushed me away from you two.” Cora turned quickly on her feet to shoot a killer look at the frustratingly complacent David. “And you have nothing to say about this?”

“It is what it is.” David shrugged, further fuelling both Cora and Henrietta’s fury. There is always something infuriating about someone’s lack of interest in a matter that demands someone’s invested interest.

After David’s lazy comment, Henrietta started pelting angry words at him and the subject matter was changed from their daughter to their marriage. Cora was completely forgotten.

She tried to remember when the family dynamic had changed to such unhealthy tendencies. It hadn’t always been this way, believe it or not, and even when Cora had begun to sneak down to The Pancake House, things had been easier. Cora remembered bright Sunday mornings when her mother would cook French toast (with extra cinnamon) and delightful conversation would ensue over orange juice, content to be in mismatched mugs. These memories were always lovely to recall for Cora and she attributed her childhood ease partly to these wonderful interactions with David and Henrietta. But where had it all gone? What had incited things to take a turn for the worse? Had it really been her own actions – spending time with Hugo and Elita – that ruined the family?

But Cora couldn’t believe it. Visiting Hugo and Elita was the result of an already-deteriorating family; it had been her method of escape. It was if one Sunday had been the same, with Henrietta’s gourmet breakfast and sunny juice, and the next was burnt toast, commercial jam, and water – the first tainted weekend of many more to come. Eventually, Cora skipped weekends and spent them at The Pancake House. And then she started spending entire weeks and everything went downhill from there.

Cora was unable to trace the cause of the breaking-down of her family and in the middle of a mountain hiking trip, it was likely not the best idea. Coming back to the present, she realized that in the few minutes of her thinking, both Henrietta and David had escaped her presence and were nowhere to be found. There was nothing she could do but decide to hike back down.

It was a steep and narrow path, laden heavy with rocks and sometimes boulders. The lining trees were gigantic, looming ominously above like forest Gods. Their roots were unwelcome intruders to the path, catching footfalls in the most unfortunate of places and constantly tripping. Cora stepped with care and caution, avoiding deep ruts and the hooks of brown roots. Soon, she felt heavy dollar-sized drops of rain, and within seconds she was drenched, hair waterlogged and shoes squelching. She quickened her pace, not wanting to get caught in a violent mountain storm. Cora stumbled over rocks and sediment that was now mud, that splashed her legs, streaking them an ugly black-brown. The trees swayed intensely and, in the distance, Cora swore that she could hear branches breaking, tumbling tremendously to the forest floor. Lightning flashed and cracked. There was still at least an hour to go but it would be unsafe to continue under such conditions. Cora made a beeline for a little shack up ahead, where even some smoke wafted in wisps from the make-shift chimney.

She turned in, sopping wet, and found herself face to face with Cadogan Sage, also sopping wet. 

Chaser wrote a review...

Disclaimer: I have not read the previous chapters.

Well! I've no context for this scenario, but it certainly is interesting! The plot seems to be smoothly flowing here, though I'm not one to comment.

As styles go, yours seems to be pretty sure of itself. You've got quite a way with words to use phrases like "ugly black-brown" to contribute to the tone. As for the argument, well, while it wasn't the most impactful I've seen, it's not too shabby itself. I myself have always envisioned arguments like a storm. Horizon blackening, wind stirring, and not a single thing you can do about it. Here, it seems...sudden. And a bit petulant. Putting the emotions in the air before putting them in the characters might help.

As for characters, they're well-characterized through dialogue and Cora's descriptions. Just one part feels a little forced:

You have never tried to embrace the beauty and personality of the place. That is all your fault! That is what pushed me away from you two.

It's a bit too lengthy and eloquent to be said angrily, isn't it? When people lose their temper, they often rush their feelings out of their mouths, their reason at its breaking point. Shorter sentences and italics usually aid this, along with a few punctuating actions.

I have but one other nitpick:
shrieked the flustered woman accountant.

It stands to reason that the woman accountant would be shrieking, since she was the one who was "exasperated," and David was too tired to speak at that volume. And while it may sound sexist, shrieking is often used as an action of angry female characters.

Overall, it's a well-thought-out style, with a few minor bumps in the road. The characters seem relatable, and the situation is pretty intriguing. All in all, a decent read. Cheers!

-Chaser

TriSARAHtops wrote a review...

Hi again. Here for another review.

I'll admit, this certainly wasn't my favourite chapter. There were some moments that I liked, and stood out, but on the whole I think some of the charm of the previous chapters wasn't quite as present here. Maybe that cane as a result of moving from Savoury, but there were some things that stood out as being not so great.

This chapter felt a little too much like it was just there as a filler chapter, in a few ways, like it was just there to fill in time before the story really gets going, and to throw in some back story. I didn't really connect with it the way I would have liked to, and I feel as though if this were a book that I'd picked up and was reading, this is a part where I'd get impatient and disengaged.

I also felt like the argument between Cora and her parents could have been executed better. The problem with it stemmed, I believe, from the fact that there was very little tension in the lead up to it, the characters were yelling at each other without any build up. This lack of tension kinda ruined the effectiveness and impact of the argument. It seemed to me as though the characters were articulating exactly what they were feeling a bit too neatly - but one of the best ways to build tension and conflict is to have them hide something, and it's only at the absolute breaking point that they reveal their inner thoughts. I think the breaking point was hit unnaturally early here, so that's something to consider.

Something interesting that I realised reading this is that fact that the writing style you're using here lends itself very nicely to slipping in some info dumps, without having them sound like info dumps. Coar's reflections on how she and her parents got along in the past did toe the line a few times, but the way that you presented all this information was pretty engaging and subtle. I still want to be shown a bit more, especially in terms of Cora's parents, but this case of "telling" was handled pretty well.

That's it from me. I'm still fascinated by the premise of Nostalgia, so even though I wasn't in love with this particular chapter, I'm still looking forward to seeing where this all goes.

The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.
— Alvin Toffler