z

Young Writers Society



i should have been home yesterday *edited*

by LadySpark


Inspiration: "I'll take you back to my West Virginia. My honeysuckle and tool sheds. The chicken coops. The abandoned loves. I'll show you what August grass feels like."
-Shinji Moon

thoughts i have while driving home
1/11/16

i will take you home with me.
i will take you to my mountains,
and show you where you can really breathe.
i will show you my mountains--
show you where the mist practically kisses you
show you how every time you sing at the top of your lungs
the coal rivers sing back.

i will show you where my soul is hidden-- between two trees
listen, those trees are trying to tell you something.
they're trying to tell you that i will say that i love you,
at the top of that mountain.
because it is from there i get all my liquid courage. from the moonshine
from the coal dust, from the porch swing, from you.
you, especially.

you are like my mountains in the way that you are brave,
in the way that you are an immovable,
unshakable force that is always there.  i will take you to my mountain.
we'll sit among the wild flowers,
i'll show you where i first hold your hand.
i'll teach you how when you whisper, the entire world will stop and listen.

i will tell you about the first time i kissed my mountain.
i will whisper to you that i never got used to it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:42 am
Wyatt16 says...



Very nice. This poem shows great writing skill. It sounds like a love song to me. I think if you put it to song then it would come very easily to write.




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:41 am
Wyatt16 says...



Very nice. This poem shows great writing skill. It sounds like a love song to me. I think if you put it to song then it would come very easily to write.




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 16

Donate
Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:30 pm
NewYork30 says...



This made me miss my home more than ever. This was such a freaking beautiful representation of someone's love for their home and for someone else and it is unexplainable how powerful this piece is. I saw so much imagery and saw the mountains and the mist and the trees and the coal rivers. I feel this way about my home and I think that is why this really speaks to me. I love it!




User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:10 am
View Likes
TimmyJake says...



Your poetry is always so beautiful. I love it <3




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 33
Reviews: 131

Donate
Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:17 pm
View Likes
Monsters wrote a review...



Hello Ladyspark,

You have taken every usual step of an inexperienced writer here.

1. You write about the imagery of the mountain in a way that blends into the voice of every other poet. There is a lack of personality, of uniqueness here that totally destroys the plot of a love story. Instead of admiring the quote for what it's good at (words like honeysuckle, tool sheds, chicken coops) you compare the mist to kisses, breath to breathing, echos to singing back. It's terrible. I'm not intrigued by a reiteration of the same meaningless statements that have been perpetuated so much that they will always lack any meaning what so ever. I'll contribute these to fluff because they aren't speaking for the characters personality which is the only thing you absolutely must do well in a love a story.

2. In the first stanza, your repetition does not work well and you leave it too soon to have a chance at working at all. The 'i will' interrupts the little rhythm you have in this poem and the 'taking us to the mountains' is rather dull and should not be repeated for it is not really a strong enough emotion. This is worse then fluff because it destroys all rhythm.

3. Perhaps the biggest sign of inexperienced writers; just change what the poem is really about half way through. Is it about the mountain or a love story?

4. The fourth stanza is just unoriginal and you literally just start talking without any care for rhythm or anything else.

that is just my opinion anyway, happy writing




User avatar
541 Reviews


Points: 370
Reviews: 541

Donate
Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:47 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 wrote a review...



Hi Spark! This is my first review in what feels like decades, so don't mind me if when I'm brushing the dust off it lands somewhere near you. ;)

First off, I quite appreciate the sentiment(s) working through this poem. Place is such a meaningful thing and I always enjoy reading people writing about the places they are from. There's such a unique quality in the way we each perceive the places we live that a million writers could write truthfully about the same place and each piece would come out different. So good on you!

That all being said, this poem felt quite a bit scattered to me. We begin with this focus on the mountains which is strong, but then we move into more of an exploration of the landscape in general and the poem becomes more of a love poem than a poem about a place. That's not to say that they can't be both, of course, but it seems that these can't both be the main focus of the poem. One ought to be presented more subtly. Since there's this tension between a poem about a place and a poem about a lover the metaphors and images get pulled in discordant directions and it makes it hard to focus on some of the really lovely stuff in this poem.

In the same way, the straining of these ideas keeps the poem at a pretty basic level. The speaker feels a connection with the mountains as a physical place, and then the speaker relates this connection with the mountains to the connection with their lover. Then, at the very end, there's this somewhat confusing idea that the speaker has never actually been satisfied with the mountains that have embodied the beauty of their soul for the majority of the poem. See the confusion?

I'd like to encourage you to really consider this idea of place, of the mountains. The mountains in Appalachia (I'm assuming here, considering I know the area of the country you're from and the inspiration you drew from is about West Virgina) carry deep significance to many different people, but as I said earlier the significance of this place to you is unique from all these other perceptions. This is what I found most lacking in this poem, the presence of honest emotion rather than constructed poetic emotion. I can see you as Poet back there behind the curtain pulling the strings and speaking into the microphone, phrasing things in a way that feels poetic, dealing with themes and ideas that seem poetic. Relax, forget about an audience, and put your mountains on the page.

The last thing I'll leave you with is this:

they really do, sweetheart. believe me.
listen.

I think most of everything I've said in this review can be summed up in this line. Generally, it seems to me, if you have to tell your reader to believe you then you aren't doing your job. Let your poetry speak for itself. Don't ask anyone to believe you. Make them believe.

Lovely work, darling, keep at it. <3

-Lauren-




LadySpark says...


thank you darlin! Absolutely phenomenal review!




Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx