The Tower's Magic ― Chapter Three

by LadyEvvy

Margaret awoke the next morning to a strangely familiar girl shaking her shoulder, in a room that was not her own. It took a couple of seconds for her memories of the previous day to return. When they did, Margaret found that her resolve had fallen tremendously. She sat up in her bed, and the girl waited patiently while she tried to collect the scraps of her willpower and pin them back together.

Her strength back where it belonged, Margaret went to the window and peeked out between the curtains. The sky was still dark and full of stars, the faintest light of dawn brushing the horizon. Incredulously, she turned back to the girl, only to see that she was holding open a door to an outside corridor.

"Well, at least let me dress first!"

"Forget it princess. You're not trying to impress anyone."

Margaret almost didn't argue. Although she was still in the damp dress from the night before, she wasn't sure she had the energy to change clothes, especially if she didn't actually need to do so. She was about to walk out the door when she remembered her decision from when she met the girl. No one would push her around, starting now, even over something stupid like this.

"I'm getting dressed." Margaret said, drawing herself up to her full height. This still left her rather short, but she was at least taller than the girl.

The girl seemed to find this amusing, and she smirked. That irritating, vile smirk of hers. Margaret was beginning to despise this girl.

"As you wish, dear lady, but you might wanna make it snappy. I won't wait forever you know." The girl at least had the decency to close the door.

Margaret pulled open the wardrobe that stood in the corner of the room. She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but it wasn't this. The strangest assortment of clothes Margaret had ever seen hung in the wardrobe. Beggars' rags hung next next to dresses fit for a queen. Servant's clothes and farmhand's shirts were suspended beside shawls bedecked in diamonds. Margaret pulled out garments at random: a traveler's cloak, wizard's robes, a queen's riding habit, and what looked like a potato sack with arm holes.

Well, I suppose I have options.

Margaret selected a few of the more practical things the closet had to offer. She donned a pair of riding pants, a soft silk shirt, a pair of work boots, and the gray traveler's cloak she had found earlier. She stood before the intricate mirror in one corner of the room, and decided she looked ridiculous. Margaret realized that she didn't mind her appearance terribly. She was comfortable, and almost giddy. This was unusual, since Margaret wasn't a particularly giddy person. 

Margaret yanked open the door and marched out of her room into the hallway. The girl was waiting there. She looked up and down at Margaret's attire and raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. If anything, she seemed amused. Does she always have that look on her face?

The girl turned on her heel and strode off down the hall. Margaret swept after, finding it much easier to keep up in the work boots than she had in her slippers. Thinking along those lines, Margaret realized that she hadn't seen her slippers since she had taken them off at the lake. Oh, well. I have plenty shoes to choose from now anyway.

Once again, the hallways twisted wildly, but the girl walked with sure purpose, leading Margaret down winding passages and tightly spiraling staircases. Margaret tried to keep track of the turns, so that maybe she could get back to the room on her own. Right, left, straight, down the stairs, right, hang on, what was that last one?

Margaret's feet were starting to grow tired by the time they reached a set of intricate double doors. The girl opened one of the doors, and Margaret stepped through into the room. She heard a latch click behind her, and she whipped around. The doors were locked and the girl was gone.

I suppose I should have expected that. Margaret turned back to face the room.

The room was about the size a small study, and mirrors lined the walls. Mirrors with intricate designs on them, mirrors without frames, mirrors of all kinds hung from hooks. From each mirror, Margaret's own face stared back at her. Somehow this made the room seem full of strangers, and smaller than it really was.

She felt suddenly self-conscious in her silly clothes, though there was no solid reason. She was alone wasn't she? Yet somehow, she felt uncomfortable, her own eyes boring into her, judging her, from the mirrors.

Margaret stood for a while, growing more and more uneasy by the minute. She closed her eyes, and could almost feel the mirrors closing theirs as well. She opened her eyes, and again felt self-conscious. She turned to the doors to escape the mirrors, only to find that the doors were hung with mirrors as well.

She turned back to the room, again straightening to her full, rather unimpressive height. She was not going to let Jasmine run off with her family's fortune. She was not going to be cowed by that girl. She most certainly was not going to be bullied by mirrors of all things.

"Go away," She said to the room. Her voice sounded strong and commanding even to her. She knew there was no point in telling the mirrors to leave, but it felt good to hear the power in her voice.

To her surprise, however, the Margarets in the mirrors obeyed. They glanced at each other and bowed out of the frames, leaving only the reflections of the other mirrors in an endless tunnel of frames.

A lock clicked behind Margaret. She stood for a minute, trying to wrap her head around the idea that she had just ordered mirrors to leave her alone and they had obeyed. Then, feeling good about having done something, she turned on her heel and marched briskly out the door. 

To her surprise, it did not lead back into the hallway, but directly into her room. She stepped through cautiously and turned to look behind her. Back through the door stretched a long corridor, the same one she had walked through to get to the mirror room.

"Have fun, princess?"

The girl was sitting on the bed, again fiddling with something in her hands, though Margaret couldn't see what it was.

Margaret ignored her, crossing the room to the wardrobe and hanging up her cloak. She looked out the window and saw that the sun was already high in the sky. How long have I been here? Margaret realized that she hadn't eaten since she had departed for the school with Jasmine. That had been at least a day ago.

As though reading her thoughts, the girl spoke up. "Food'll be up soon."

"What do they generally serve here?"

"Meals, little missy."

"Of course." This girl was exasperating, but she was also Margaret's only companion for the time being. Besides, Margaret felt that this girl had a story. She decided to try again for conversation.

"So what is your name anyway?" The girl's lopsided smirk slid off her face, replaced by something serious.

"I'm not going to tell you. I thought that was pretty clear."

"I told you my name." Margaret could tell she'd hit a sore subject, but she kept going. Any sort of relationship began with a name, and she had to call this girl something.

"So you did."

"Well... I can't call you 'girl' forever. Is there any name you particularly like?"

There was no response.

"If you don't tell me your name I'm just going to make one up for you. You probably won't like it."

Silence.

"I'm going to call you Elena. How about that?"

The girl didn't even reply; she stood abruptly and stormed out of the room.

"Hey, wait!" Margaret called after her as she slammed the door behind her.

Margaret stood for a moment, then sat heavily on the bed. Friendships usually came so easily to her. Why did this girl seem to hate her so much? And as she had rushed out of the room, she had looked... scared. Panicked, even.

- - -

As soon as I was out in the corridors, I broke into a dead sprint. Or at least I thought it was the corridor. I may have run out of the room.

She couldn't give me a name. She couldn't. That was how it had started with Anabelle. I would not fall into a doomed friendship again. No way.

I wasn't quite sure where I was running, but before I knew it, I was up on my roof, staring over the sun-soaked fields to the west.

How had it gotten this bad? I was always so careful about these things. Everyone hated me. I had made sure of that. And why hadn't I thought of some kind of response? I had just panicked and run. What was wrong with me? I didn't want to be friends with this girl, did I?

Of course I did. I had wanted a friend since Anabelle went missing, and I had just been hiding from the inevitable heartbreak. I still was.

My hand ached, and I looked down to see why. I realized I had crushed the butterfly I had been crafting earlier. Bits of metal wings and antennae dug into my now bleeding palm. Angrily I flung the broken insect off the roof. Unsurprisingly, it did not pick itself back up and fly.

It wasn't as though no one had asked my name before. It was just that they had never been so persistent, so determined to get to know me. No one wanted to be friends with someone who mocked them, someone who was cruel and mean. No one except Anabelle. And Margaret, apparently. 

It didn't seem like I could stop Margaret from trying to get on my good side. I sat for a minute, trying to work out what I should do. What was the name she had chosen? Elena? I liked the one Anabelle gave me better, but I couldn't tell Margaret that. She'd ask too many personal questions.

In the end I decided I would just go with it. I would go along with Margaret's game, and it would hurt later, but maybe I would find some actual joy this year. Something to look forward to.

When I got back to the room, I saw that Margaret had saved me lunch. A steaming bowl of tomato soup sat on a tray next to a small loaf of bread. I offered her a small smile. Small, but a real smile, not my favorite smirk. She smiled back.

Neither of us said anything, just ate in silence. I think she understood.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:07 pm
ArcticMonkey wrote a review...

Hi LadyEvvy!

Right let's get straight into this review. I do like how the story is progressing, although I have a couple of questions about this chapter alone I do like this story. The two different perspectives is really cool. I like how the readers know why "Elena" is being so cold but Margaret doesn't, it makes it a lot more interesting. Also, the dragonfly thing is pretty cool, and some very nice imagery.

What I didn't understand is why the girl made Margaret get up and go to that mirror room, just to return to her bedroom? Like there seems to be no point at the minute. Although I did quite enjoy the mirror scene, I think you either need to show more purpose for it or actually elongate it. Add more, why is she so scared of her reflection? Is she scared of being in this new place? So yeah just add more and it makes that bit seem less pointless.

Another thing was the dragonfly bit, is that supposed to represent/reflect something? I think it's a really beautiful bit of imagery you've got going there so I'd definitely work with it further. Perhaps it represents how the girl feels towards Anabelle, or Margaret. The fact that she accidentally broke it- does that mean that their chance at a good relationship is over? Personally, I don't feel it looks that way right now, as in this dragonfly thing representation thing wasn't actually your intention. It's just a suggestion, however I think it would work really well and add loads more to how this story is written.

Overall, this is pretty good. The story is progressing well. I hope this review helps, feel free to PM me with any questions or if you'd like another review on anything. As always, keep writing,

~ArcticMonkey x

Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:04 pm
Europa wrote a review...

Hey, LadyEvvy I'm (finally) here to review!
I'm doing this on my dad's phone right now, so sorry about any typos.
Things I liked
really like where your taking this. Already your two main characters are developing beautifully, your style of writin fits for each character perfectly, and I'm glad to see the two starting to get along. Just make sure not to rush things when you get further on. I sometimes have problems with that myself.

Tweaks
Overall, there's nothing I would really change about this. Well done! Like TheLearningWriter, I'm not much of an expert on grammar, so if there were any mistakes there, I couldn't tell.

Questions 'n stuff
I liked the bit with the mirrors, and it got me thinking, maybe the clothes in there were put there for a reason. Like, if she had put on the fancy dresses and gone in there she would begin to feel overdressed and silly. Am I right about that?

Really good job, I can't wait to see more, so keep tagging me!
-Fanty

LadyEvvy says...

Thank you for reviewing again! Makes me feel bad that I haven't reviewed anything of yours yet. the next thing you post, I will get around to that.

I will certainly try to keep the pace reasonably slow, though it is difficult to keep from rushing the story. It's hard not to just write down ideas as they come.

I hadn't really thought about connecting the clothes in the mirrors. The clothes themselves were actually a sort of test to see how each student thinks. The more practical ones, like Margaret, would have gone for something comfortable, while someone who relied on charisma might have spent more time making themselves presentable. Mostly it just showed that Margaret depended on her wits, not her charm, if that makes any sense.

I will definitely keep tagging you, your reviews are really helpful!

Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:28 am
Mageheart wrote a review...

Hi LadyEvvy! I've read the first two chapters as well, and really like this!
I'm not someone who's good at giving grammar advice, so I'm sorry in advance for not being able to give a lot of helpful criticism.
This story is interesting. There's the all important question of what happened to Anabelle, and the other students that fail. I'm sharing the same belief as "Elena". My thought is that they're still out there.
Next is Margaret. She is going to be the one to introduce us to the world of magic, because she's the new student. I like her choice of clothing, by the way. If I was in her situation, I would dress for comfort and practicality as well.
And finally, there is Elena. I'm interested in finding out why she has to work at this place. I'm also interested in what her real name is.
Keep up the great work (which I have no doubt you will) and good luck with your writing endeavors!

LadyEvvy says...

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on in a while.
I'm glad you're enjoying reading the story. I know I love writing it! It's good to know what points you've enjoyed reading so far, and I'll try to emphasize on those just a little more.
Best of luck to you in your writing as well!

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:19 pm
backroadstraveler wrote a review...

Hey LadyEvvy! backroads Here to review!

Once more you've added to the mystery of the school! I keep asking myself how this building works and can't wait to find out more!

Personally I found the part when the reflections leave a little confusing. I can't quite visualize what's happening when you write

To her surprise, however, the Margarets in the mirrors obeyed. They glanced at each other and bowed out of the frames.
. If the Margarets break form and leave the mirrors, what's left in their place? Are they completely empty frames, or is there some sort of more 'natural' reflection that takes their place?

Also, the introduction of Jasmine
She was not going to be pushed around by Jasmine.
feels a little abrupt and out of place. Jasmine has already dumped her at the school and is practically done pushing Margaret around. I'd recommend adding another chain of thought that makes Jasmine more tied to the situation and being more focused in Margaret's resolve. Maybe something on how Margaret wasn't going to let her steal the family fortune?

Great piece of work, particularly loved how you had 'Elena' respond to being named- I think you did an awesome job of showing the reader how much she fears eventual heartache with the butterfly!

-Backroadstraveler

LadyEvvy says...

Thank you again for reviewing!

Thanks for pointing out the mirror thing. It's always nice to have a pair of fresh eyes, since sometimes I'll have an image in my head and not all of it will get as far the paper, if that makes any sense.

Let me know whenever you post something, by the way. I'd love to keep reading your work!

-Evvy

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear