z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

jupiter wishes

by LadyBug



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 755
Reviews: 29

Donate
Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:14 pm
View Likes
GoodieGoat wrote a review...



Hello LadyBug I hope this finds you well.
This is a lovely poem. My first two impressions are that first, this poem is the most enigmatic I've probably yet come a crossed on the site, which gives me as the reader more room for introspection and interpretation. Second is that generally I prefer poems with a traditional rhyme scheme at the end of each line. Nevertheless I think the overall free verse structure with alliteration and a few internal rhymes sprinkled in really add to the thoughtfulness of your poem.

The way I personally interpret this is that there is some individual whose heart, companionship, and company is a source of carefree, unfiltered, astronomically powerful love. This is contrasted with Jupiter, keeping in tone with the space themes. Who is this massive bulk slowly grinding about the solar system. Who yearns for a similar fellowship but alas is deprived of it leaving a gaping whole in his heart. Perhaps as well Jupiter's size and being the foremost god of Roman mythology undercuts the depth and scope of the main character's love. As for the last stanza, perhaps this is a way of expressing just how much this person means to you as the author. The fact that the sunrise 'never combusts' yet a 'solstice has yet to implode' is a reflection that meaningful relationships in real life never truly "culminate". Yet every moment of that relationship is a splendid and intense as the alignment of astronomical bodies.

The only critiques I can offer are on the grammar. Unless it was done deliberately I'd change the "...when he meets you eyes" to "...when he meets your eyes", and "jupiter wishes his juxtaposed to the consistency you have." to "jupiter wishes he was (or 'could be') juxtaposed to the consistency you have."

I hope I've been of encouragement! :D GoodieGoat




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 155
Reviews: 25

Donate
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:22 pm
View Likes
VintageGirl wrote a review...



Hi, VintageGirl here!

I don't have a lot to say because... wow. You conveyed so much in a few sentences. I love the alliteration in the last line about the "solar-system solstice." The entire thing has a nice flow. I also love the allusions to love throughout, platonic or romantic. I can't decide which line I love more:

"your incandescence, a phosphorescence, essence i can't quite capture"

or

"and i learned in my 5th grade science class that planets have heartbeats too."

There is one typo in the poem, in the first line. I think you wrote "you" instead of "your." But overall, excellent poem.

Keep writing!




LadyBug says...


awww, thank you so much!



User avatar
970 Reviews


Points: 108
Reviews: 970

Donate
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:45 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



This poem is so gorgeous. :0 I can see the stars and solar system with the words written in this. It’s like the whole solar system is sparkling. I think that it’s about your admiration for your friend and the imagery from the words are really cool. At least, that’s what I think it’s about. Reading this, it feels like a romance, with allusions to space.

Great job and keep on writing!

I wish you a wonderful day/night.




LadyBug says...


thank you!! i'm glad my point comes across, it's about a man named bert who i met while at a butcher's shop in Italy!



User avatar
56 Reviews


Points: 2448
Reviews: 56

Donate
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:04 pm
View Likes
akanbright says...



It's nice, I give u. Although I didn't really know what you were trying to paint but it's cool😊




LadyBug says...


i give u back %uD83D%uDE0A



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 76
Reviews: 11

Donate
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:10 am
View Likes
crescentmoonprodigy wrote a review...



This isn't really a review-review, if you catch my drift. I just truly admire the way you wrote this, and it's clear to see that it's maybe not a romantic kind of love, but a deep, platonic love that goes deeper than the distance between planets. I don't know. It's just beautiful and I'm obsessed with it, especially this line:

"and i learned in 5th grade science class that the planets have heartbeats too."

Wowzah.




LadyBug says...


thank you so much!




No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates