The Ramblings of A Dying Soul- just my feelings because sometimes we just need to write things to cope.

by LMAuthor312

I feel... Exhausted. Like there isn’t a whole lot of fight left in me anymore. He’s winning, slowly. I can feel the hate eating at me from the inside and maybe that’s his plan. I think he knows me better than I know myself. He knows how my emotions affect me. For so many years, he’s watched and observed what makes me… well, me. Every emotion I feel can change how my body feels. I can get sick from stress. I can feel myself aging from the anger and resentment. Our divorce has been finalized for almost 5 months, but he’s still there. Still has his hand in almost every part of my life. Still the puppet master. He abuses. He takes advantage at every turn. We have the most beautiful daughter together, but he even uses her against me. Every. Single. Decision I make in my life is for that little girl and now she’s being used as a weapon to destroy me. And it’s working. I watch as she screams and cries after he brings her home from his visitation, and I see the smugness in his face. He knows it breaks my heart to see her prefer him. Literally makes me sick. He’s told me before he will turn her against me and take her. He will make her hate me too. When I was pregnant with that sweet, darling angel, he told me if I left him, he would make sure I never saw my baby again. Now look at things. I got sole physical custody of her in the divorce and he sees her for limited times every other weekend. It should have ended there, right? No… not at all. The child support is “too much”. “She doesn’t need that much,” He says. “You’re being greedy and selfish,” He tells me, constantly. So now I feel greedy and selfish for wanting to raise her right and needing help to do so. He has conditioned my mind to believe his every word. He could tell me the vilest of lies, and I would actually take pause, thinking he’s right. I have been called the Devil. I believed him... A horrible baby mama who needs to get my mind screwed on right. All because I expect him to hold up his end of our divorce agreement. Just this last weekend, I allowed him to break the custody agreement and keep her overnight one night. As long as he had her home at 6pm the next day, I really didn’t mind. He promised. Then went back and said no, he wants her for two nights now. He wants me to bend to him. To show him just how much power he has over me. If this had been the first time, I probably could have handled it better. I have lost my nerve though. I broke down and let it get to me. The constant manipulation is destroying me. So I did something I’m not proud of but I had to get her home… I don’t trust him. He can’t care for her. So I said I would call the police if she was not home on time. He mocked and insulted me, thinking I wouldn’t do it. He was condescending and rude, saying how I’m a horrible human being for trying to keep my daughter from him. I do not trust him with her though. Every time she comes home starving and filthy. She’s not even two years old yet and he turned her car seat forward facing. He could kill her because he just had to prove me wrong. “She’s big enough and I’m a good driver. Nothing will happen,” He said. He drinks and drives. He smokes pot and drives. He does all that with her in the car. How can I possibly trust him? Whenever she comes home from his house, she’s different. I don’t know what he does but it takes an hour or two for my little girl to go back to normal. She’s such a happy baby but this divorce is going to hurt her. I had hoped I started the process early enough on that she wouldn’t remember it. No… I failed her by not cutting off his custody at the beginning. I should never have been this kind and allowed him the visitation. As her mother, I’m supposed to protect her from the evil in the world. How can I protect her when the biggest evil in her life is her own father? I believes he loves her, however he can. There is no way that’s enough though. I didn’t want to break apart my family but she truly is better off this way. I can raise her and help her be a good woman. Because… if she had grown up watching her father hit me and talk to me like I was worse than the mud on his boots, what would she have expected from any man in her future? If she doesn’t see Daddy respect Momma, why would she believe she deserves respect too?

I’m fighting what feels like a losing battle, though. How do I win this? Revoke his custody? Is that a battle I can even win? I have no idea. It scares me that I can’t be in control of this situation. My family tries to help talk me up and say I have ALL the control. Yet, I don’t feel it. I feel lost. I feel useless. I feel like a complete failure. I’m a single mother to a little girl and I have never felt more lonely in my life. 

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello!! Here to bring this out of the green room for you! :)

I'm getting the vibe from this piece that this isn't just a short story and is rather a more personal reflection of something that you're going through right now. (and if I'm wrong disregard). If this is indeed something you're going through right now, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I see stuff like this happen all the time in my work and it's always so hard. I can tell though through your words how much you car about your daughter and what a good mom you are to her <3

If this is a personal piece rather than a short story, I'd recommend posting it on your blog or on your wall so that people can still comment and offer support without you having to spend hard-earned points in the publishing center!

If this is just a short story and not a personal rant/rambling, then my biggest recommendation is to break up the paragraphs a little more. Paragraph spacings are power and can convey a lot of emotion simply from where you choose to break the paragraphs. The shorter the sentences and paragraphs, the faster the reader will read, thus quickening the pace. The longer the sentences and paragraphs, the slower the reader will read, thus slowing the pace. That's something you can play around with :)

Like the reviewer said below me, it's obviously an emotional piece and the emotions really came through. Feel free to reach out via PM if you need anything, and let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:05 pm
Taleof6kids wrote a review...

Hello. I came to review, but this is a tough one to do that with because of the emotional content. First of all, let me say, as a reader, I could feel the raw emotions and genuinely connected with your writing and your difficult situation. You gave your readers a good look into the personal effects of divorce and the struggles involved. You did a great job with this.

One sentence near the beginning, however, needs a little tweaking. You wrote: Every emotion I feel can change how my body feels. Maybe something like, "Every emotion I feel seems to have an effect on me physically." and then go into some examples, like you did.

There are some grammatical issues that could detract from your writing as well. There are quite a few fragments, but somehow most of them work with this piece. An example is here when you wrote: Still has his hand in almost every part of my life. Still the puppet master. He abuses. "Still the puppet master." is a fragment, but it seems to work ok in between these two shorter sentences. Just be careful when you are editing to catch the major ones like, All because I expect him to hold up his end of our divorce agreement.

The only other difficult part for me to read was when you said you had to do something you were not proud of, but then used ... and said "I don't trust him." I was expecting you to tell us what you did right after the three dots, but instead, I had to wait for even another sentence before you telling us what you did that you were not proud of. I would reveal this to your writer sooner. That's all. It's minor, I know. Not a big deal.

Overall I think you did well. Just watch the technical stuff. And, on a more personal note, I do truly feel badly for you. Hang in there! One day at a time, and I pray things get better for you and your daughter soon.

Wendy

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green