z

Young Writers Society



The Elephant Boy {six}

by Kylan


When the morning nurse came in to check on Charlie, she found him wearing his pillow case over his head so that he looked like a Ku Klux Klan wizard burning the homes of black families. He refused to remove it.

***

“Come on, Charlie. Just take it off,” the doctor said with the nurse standing by his side. “You can't go around wearing a pillow case for the rest of your life. Or the rest of the morning, for that matter. Take it off and eat some breakfast, alright?”

Charlie was silent.

The doctor said, “If you don't take it off, Charlie, we will.”

Charlie was unmoving and voiceless, like a religious idol in front of pagan congregations. His mouth was stitched up. His face was gone. He was gone, absorbed up into the pillow case just like his tears and his sweat. Charlie wished that the nurse and the doctor and the rest of the world would just leave him alone. All he wanted to do was cease to exist peacefully.

“Is this about your face, kid? It is, isn't it? Well, bud, let me tell you something. Let me put things into perspective. There's a little girl down the hall just about your age. She lived a couple neighborhoods over from you and didn't make it to her shelter because her mom and dad were strung out on drugs. When the bombs hit, she was burned all over and crippled for the rest of her life. Now she can't move, she can't smile, and she's still alive. You, my friend, are in a position ten times better than hers. ”

Charlie had made his heart was as cold as coffins sinking to watery depths after their funerals on the ocean.

Its hands were folded across its chest.

Its limbs were rusty with rigor mortis.

There was no way to reach his heart because he didn't care.

The doctor sighed and nodded at the nurse.

“Pull it off.”

***

Charlie dissolved into tears and buried himself in the bedsheets – like tired gravediggers in cemeteries feeding dirt to corpses – and would not resurface, he swore to himself, until the nurse returned the pillow case.

He did not eat that day.

He did not sleep.

Eventually, the nurses stopped trying and the doctor told them not to replace Charlie's pillow with any more sleeves.

But.

For some reason, Charlie couldn't get the thought of the girl down the hall out of his head.

***

On the seventeenth day of Charlie's residence, the middle-aged woman was a caged canary whistling in mine shafts poisoned with Carbon Monoxide. Her breathing stopped. Her lungs were balloons filled up with too much air.

Death winked at Charlie has he carried her out the door.

***

Charlie imagined the little girl with the broken body extended on her bed like a Playboy centerfold with a respirator over her face and lips made out of concrete. He imagined her voice. It was soft and small like mice in experimental labs and could barely make it through the walls, like everyone else's. He imagined that Death was probably pretty good friends with her. He would have to be, with someone who so closely resembled a corpse already.

Charlie desperately wanted to meet this girl.

He wanted to see if she was really worse off than him.

He wondered what they would talk about.

Probably the smell of God's breath and the precise dance steps required to fit in with a city full of burning people and the music that people make on their death beds. They would talk for hours. They would keep Death away by being together.

Charlie imagined her eyes, the only things untouched by evil men and cancer.

They would glow.

Like the skeletons of kites flying in electrical storms.

***

That night he listened for her voice in the dark, instead of his mother's.

***

The doctor told Charlie that morning that he no longer needed to say at the hospital.

He told him that nice people were coming to take him home and care for him since his parents weren't alive anymore. He told Charlie that these people would feed him and clothe him and shelter him and that they were called foster parents.

Again, when the couple walked into the room, it became a depressed zoo animal with tranquilizer darts stuck in its thigh and drooping eyelids. To Charlie, Joseph's face looked as if a smile would break it into a thousand pieces and Liesel's lips were as thin as Chinese fans. They stood in the doorway sounding out of place as their heartbeats dropped into the room like coins into the paper cup of a blind man sitting on the sidewalk.

Charlie was standing by his bed on wobbly legs.

His hair was slicked back and he was dressed in a new clothes that crinkled and gave off plastic smells.

The doctor was there telling them that Charlie would need to return to the hospital every week for check-ups and was handing over the medication that would make his face hurt less. Charlie could tell that they were were staring at him instead of listening and at the mention of his face, Charlie bowed his head.

The wilting flowers on the bed stand were as closed up as the eyes of babies listening to Mozart as Joseph spoke:

“What about a mask or something? Do you have one of those?”

“A mask?” the doctor asked.

“You know, for his face.”

“Oh. No, we don't. And I would advise you not to encourage him to wear one. Charlie's...is a delicate situation. And it'll take him a long time to adapt to his image. Just be understanding and supportive and he'll be able to make it through the storm.”

Joseph nodded.

Charlie's shoulders sunk even further, like the Titanic treading water with its passengers all bloated with life jackets. As soon as he got to Liesel and Joseph's house, he swore to find all the pillowcases and hide them so that no one could take them away from him.

“Okay, kid,” Liesel said. “We don't have all day and these dying bastards give me the chills. Let's get out of here.”

As he walked down the hallway, he held Liesel's hand and felt the doctor's eyes staring at his back.

The hand was cold and dead.

And patients stared at him from out of open doors as he walked by, their eyes glittering like the flashbulbs of the paparazzi taking tabloid photos.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
695 Reviews


Points: 2242
Reviews: 695

Donate
Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:56 pm
Angel of Death wrote a review...



Ha! Kylan you won't believe what I had to go through to read this! Well to make a long story short, I wasn't home yesterday and so something told me that Kylan might post chapter 6 so luckily my cell phone has the internet and I read the whole thing last night. This story is getting better and better! I like all of your descriptions.

My favorite lines were:

Charlie desperately wanted to meet this girl.
He wanted to see if she was really worse off than him.
He wondered what they would talk about.
Probably the smell of God's breath and the precise dance steps required to fit in with a city full of burning people and the music that people make on their death beds. They would talk for hours. They would keep Death away by being together.
Charlie imagined her eyes, the only things untouched by evil men and cancer.
They would glow.
Like the skeletons of kites flying in electrical storms.


This flows nicely and it just reeks you in every way. Actually, everything about this story is perfectly suited for you. You write as if you were and I don't know if book ideas are just handed to us by dreams or inspiration but whatever it is-this story is for you. I can't wait to read the next chapter. Also there were a couple of added words where they shouldn't be. I would pull them out for you but I don't feel like it right now. Read over your work and I'm sure you'll find what I mean. If not, I'll be back, just say the magic words. Oh and thanks for PMing me!
Great Job and Keep Writing
-Angel




User avatar
713 Reviews


Points: 7740
Reviews: 713

Donate
Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:51 pm
BigBadBear wrote a review...



Kylan! Thank you so much for keeping me informed with this! I truly am in love with Elephant Boy.

To tell the truth? I devoured this. I read it so fast that I didn't catch a single grammar error. So... you won't hear anything on that subject.

I love the pillowcase. It truly was a wonderful idea.

The doctor said, “If you don't take it off, Charlie, we will.”


I don't know why, but this is really bugging me. I would change it to "The doctor said, "If you won't take it off, Charlie, we will." I really think that works better. I don't know why that's bugging me so much. @__@

Now she can't move, she can't smile, and she's still alive. You, my friend, are in a position ten times better than hers This should be "her's".. ”


I lied. There is a grammatical error here.

Okay. That's all I could really find.

Fantastic job, Kylan! I adore the way that this plot is coming together, piece by piece. Once it grabs a hold, it will not let go. I have to finish reading this, and you have to finish writing this.

-Jared




User avatar
369 Reviews


Points: 15698
Reviews: 369

Donate
Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:41 pm
Conrad Rice wrote a review...



Here's my critique, nice and prompt as always. :)

I have to thank you again for helping me with my story. I can only hope that the help I am providing you with is actually helpful for you. I run out of things to say somethings, which is why I resort to nitpicking at little grammatical and spelling errors. Anyway, I hope this works for you, and thank you again.





Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life... He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's ironic he could save others from death, but not himself.
— RazorSharpPencil