z

Young Writers Society



Machinations #1 (part 1)

by Kylan


Well, here's chapter one of a new novel I'm working on. I decided I would try different waters and wade into the fantasy end of the YWS pool. Hello there. Never seen me? I come bearing tidings from the Action/Adventure forum.

Regardless, this is only a portion of chapter one, seeing as the chapter is roughly 3500 words. With the sudden inflation of the YWS economy, I'm finding my self somewhat short of points, so I'll post part two as soon as I scrounge up a few critiques.

Enjoy.

Sarajevo, Bosnia

1992

“They're getting closer, kid,” Dmitry whispered, trying twice to light the cigarette shivering between his lips; the spent matches – one after the other – stumbling to the ground with withered heads, charred and bowed in penitence. Looking out of the shattered department store window, he lit a third match and – his hands trembling violently – and touched the nodding flame to the tip of his last cigarette. The rest of his Marlboro pack was strewn across the concrete floor like dead soldiers; leftover earth colored tobacco spilling from their ends like gutted entrails.

Dmitry lit the cigarette and hunched over it, puffing five or six times. His breath was ragged. Nervous. Laced with terror and fear and hopelessness.

Hopelessness.

Nikola hoped to God that there was still hope in the situation. That the shells and the bombs and the machine guns – singing with deadly harmony – had not drained the walls of the dying department store of any trace of resolve. He looked around at the hunched and ragged war refugees clustered together behind counters and twisted racks of clothing and behind cardboard displays.

Outside, it was snowing ash.

And there were distant explosions like the sound of falling fruit.

Thump, thump, thump.

And gunshots. The constant, unending serenade of little shards of death leaving chambers. The wind chime sound of spent shells clattering to the ground. The smell of screams. The smell of dying men and women and children.

Nikola looked away from Dmitry as the older teenager took a long drag on the cigarette and tapped in gently against his knee, and held the AK-47 in his hands a little tighter. There was something about a gun – a loaded gun – that brought an indescribable comfort to Nikola. The feel of its potency against his chest. Its slender neck, cool and harsh and rigid under his palm. The contours. The curves. Like a woman's hips. Full and sensual. And it seemed to whisper. It whispered feelings of confidence and assurance and collectivity. It whispered an end. It whispered relief.

Outside: thump, thump, thump. And distant screams like metal grinding against metal.

He glanced over at the old couple crouching behind the check-out counter, holding hands desperately. Skin the color of smoke stained walls and the texture of burnt paper. Trembling slightly. Twitching each time a faraway bomb ruptured. Squeezing hands at every gunshot.

But looking forward blankly. Silently. Nikola wondered if they were communicating through touch. If they were whispering words of comfort through bony fingers – scoliotic twigs – and singing softly through wrinkled palms. Conduits. Flesh radios: scratchy broadcasts hissing through perforated speakers.

Someone whimpered.

Nikola clutched his gun a little tighter and watched the snowfall outside.

They're getting closer, kid.

“Ever been with a girl?” Dmitry whispered, smoke tripping from his lips and spilling into the air. The high-tension, trillion volt air.

Nikola shook his head.

“Didn't think so. Pity to die a virgin. I'd be out of my mind if I was you.”

“Not dead yet,” Nikola said. His voice sounded like it had been piped through a tunnel a couple miles long. It was so small. Juxtaposed nicely against the high caliber gun against his chest. Stealing warmth from his chest.

Dmitry laughed. A staccato, machine-gun laugh. “Hell, I wish I had your optimism. No, they're gonna get us. Those dirty whores'll find us eventually. They'll kill us. Rape the women. And then kill them.”

He tapped his cigarette again, drifts of ashes pirouetting to the ground. With smoldering grace. Nikola supposed he was right. The Serbs were like viruses. Locate the host, enter the host, manipulate the host, destroy the host. The atmosphere above Bosnia that night would be filled with residual grunts, gasps, and screams of women violated and men with blistering holes in their heads. Nikola bit his lip and closed his eyes tightly and tried to shove leftover images of Ravno. Of his home town bleeding pillars of smoke like the ends of discarded cigarettes and marinated in the stench of death and crying little streams of blood that ran down the streets like man-made creeks.

Creeks that carried the ashfall away with a mindless sense of duty.

Ana with a ruptured jugular – her slender neck spent and piano-key white – a naked back as smooth as a concrete, and supple, sensual legs crumpled on the kitchen floor.

Broken pipes.

Everything about her had been broken.

And the walls were stained with laughing. Animal noises in the plaster.

Ever been with a girl?

A fallen Ana – like a withered blossom – on the kitchen floor, motionless as Ravno burned.

“Wish I had my music. Good stuff coming out of the states these days. New stuff. You ever heard American music, kid?”

Nikola nodded, “A couple times.”

“Everything about that stuff says freedom. Freedom to do whatever the hell you want. Whenever you want. To whoever. Jeez, I wanna go there. I've got an aunt who lives in,” he paused, taking a thoughtful drag on his cigarette and tapping his hand every time he heard the distant gasp of a bomb, “I don't know. Somewhere up north. I talked to her a couple times on the phone and she said when I was twenty-one I could go to the states and live with her.”

The snowfall of smoldering ashes was becoming more plentiful. A middle-aged man on the other side of the room stood slowly and stretched, as if his limbs were crusted with rust. His cheeks looked as though they had been scooped out of his face and his eyes bathed in dark shadows and hid under black circles of weariness.

The man glanced at Nikola.

Nikola stared back.

He seemed to say, they're coming closer, kid.

Nikola looked away, his mouth dry and his heart punching holes in his ribcage. His heartbeats sounded like snapping bones, like roaring gunshots, like snare drum beats. Echoing in his chest cavity. Echoing forever. In his ears, in his head, in his pulse.

Hell, he wanted it to stop.

The machine gun concerto was crescendoing outside. In the twilight, the sidewalk and street-way rubble, like asphalt blood from shattered veins, rebar twisting from broken slabs of concrete, absorbed the sounds. They caught the sounds with weak and broken hands and collected them like fireflies.

Dmitry flicked his last cigarette to the ground. “Do you know how to use that?” he asked, pointing at the AK-47.

“Load, point, shoot.”

A laugh. “You got it down. I always said that killing is the easiest job in this God-awful world.”

Nikola smiled tightly.

Dmitry rubbed his hands together and shoved them between his legs. “Are you going to use it?”

A harder question. Did he have the strength to pull a trigger? Did he have the resolve to paint another man's blood against walls? To see shocked expressions. To see splintered faces.

No.

Probably not.

But he nodded anyway.

Satisfied, Dmitry nodded. “I wish I had another cigarette.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 10

Donate
Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:42 pm
Crawfy wrote a review...



Kylan!

I would like to try and read all of this, but let's see how we get on, eh? :wink:

and – his hands trembling violently – and touched

Repetition of 'and', only one is necessary.

The smell of screams.

Sound?

Flesh radios: scratchy broadcasts hissing through perforated speakers.

Hmm... I'm not sure about this. The adjectives in here (or rather the sentence structure repetition) is very tiring (i.e., adjective noun, adjective noun etc.) Choose which of the last two you prefer

Of his home town bleeding pillars of smoke like the ends of discarded cigarettes and marinated in the stench of death and crying little streams of blood that ran down the streets like man-made creeks.

This is a very long, and as a reader I shouldn't, but I had to reread that a few times before I understood what you mean; add some punctuation and let it flow a bit better.

Impressions
There weren't a lot of errors--or no major ones I could see at a first read. Good luck with that, I am enjoying your style--the way you seem to say something that quite frankly could be made into one, as several sentences. Repetition worked well, yada yada yada...

Be sure that when you describe things, you don't excess. You have done that a few times, e.g. with the cigarette at the start. Although imagery seems to be your strongest point, be sure only to use when needed. However, great piece!




User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 1224
Reviews: 172

Donate
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:44 pm
Lynlyn wrote a review...



Kylan, you are such a fantastic writer; I always look forward to reading your stuff even if I don't manage to scrape up a review for it. (Also, my mom says to tell you she enjoyed The Oil Fields Are Burning.)

I liked the description in the first paragraph, but I think that maybe the description there is a little heavy as it goes on. The first couple of sentences already show that Dmitry is nervous and scared and full of despair, so I really don't think that you have to re-iterate it with that next mini-paragraph, if that makes sense. You've already illustrated Dmitry's state very, very well by this point.

As others have suggested, you might wish to edit this one a little:

Nikola looked away from Dmitry as the older teenager took a long drag on the cigarette and tapped in gently against his knee, and held the AK-47 in his hands a little tighter.


That one tripped me up a little; I thought it was Dmitry holding the gun until I re-read it.

As far as the whole guns and women bit goes, I think it's perfectly fine. In fact, it's great. There's tons of creepy Freudian stuff I could read into it, but I think that mainly it just reveals a lot about Nikola's character. I think comparing a gun to a woman's hips is totally appropriate for him, especially seeing as we find out that Nikola's experiences thus far haven't really familiarized him with either, if that makes sense. So I wouldn't change it at all.

Yup.




User avatar
647 Reviews


Points: 9022
Reviews: 647

Donate
Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:07 am
Alteran wrote a review...



Kylan wrote:
Sarajevo, Bosnia
1992


“They're getting closer, kid,” Dmitry whispered, trying twice to light the cigarette shivering between his lips; the spent matches – one after the other – stumbling to the ground with withered heads, charred and bowed in penitence. Looking out of the shattered department store window, he lit a third match and – his hands trembling violently – [s]and[/s] touched the nodding flame to the tip of his last cigarette. The rest of his Marlboro pack was strewn across the concrete floor like dead soldiers; leftover earth colored tobacco spilling from their ends like gutted entrails.



Kylan wrote: And gunshots. The constant, unending serenade of little shards of death leaving chambers. The wind chime sound of spent shells clattering to the ground. The smell was that supposed to be sounds? of screams. The smell of dying men and women and children.

Nikola looked away from Dmitry as the older teenager took a long drag on the cigarette, [s]and[/s] tapped in gently against his knee, and held the AK-47 in his hands a little tighter. There was something about a gun – a loaded gun – that brought an indescribable comfort to Nikola. The feel of its potency against his chest. Its slender neck, cool and harsh and rigid under his palm. The contours. The curves. Like a woman's hips. Full and sensual. And it seemed to whisper. It whispered feelings of confidence and assurance and collectivity. It whispered an end. It whispered relief.


This was very well done. I really enjoy the musical references in your descriptions. It really helps pain the picture. Very few little grammar issues that are pretty minuscule

No really sure what the fantasy aspect is yet, but I know I'll run across it soon.




User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 3214
Reviews: 137

Donate
Fri May 30, 2008 11:36 pm
Bittersweet wrote a review...



Hullo there! Er, I didn't really read all of the other reviews, so if I repeat something they say, sorry.

The smell of screams. The smell of dying men and women and children.


I know the smell of screams is supposed to sound creative and all, but I think you should ditch it. Because, honestly, do screams have a smell? :wink: Also, I think you should change men and women and children to just people. No need to be so specific, right?

as the older teenager


Which one is the older teenager? Be a little more clear.

tapped in gently


I think you mean it.

Nikola looked away from Dmitry as the older teenager took a long drag on the cigarette and tapped in gently against his knee, and held the AK-47 in his hands a little tighter.


Run-on. Get rid of an and in there or something.

Its slender neck, cool and harsh and rigid under his palm. The contours. The curves. Like a woman's hips. Full and sensual. And it seemed to whisper. It whispered feelings of confidence and assurance and collectivity. It whispered an end. It whispered relief.


Nice stuff in these sentences. Really good descriptive language. Except for I think the woman's hips sentence would be better off like Like a woman's hips; full and sensual. Excellent, though.

Outside: thump, thump, thump.


I think this sentence could do without the :. Maybe switch it around and add a few more words to make it more like a sentence and less like a list.

smoke stained walls

smoke-stained walls

Trembling slightly. Twitching each time a faraway bomb ruptured.


These two sentences could be merged.

But looking forward blankly. Silently. Nikola wondered if they were communicating through touch. If they were whispering words of comfort through bony fingers – scoliotic twigs – and singing softly through wrinkled palms. Conduits. Flesh radios: scratchy broadcasts hissing through perforated speakers.


I think this paragraoh would be much happier being added to the one above it.

watched the snowfall outside.


Shouldn't it be ashfall or something? You said earlier it was snowing ashes, but you never said anything about actual snow.

smoke tripping from his lips


dripping

and spilling into the air. The high-tension, trillion volt air.


and spilling into the high-tension, trillion volt air might sound a little less awkard.

Juxtaposed nicely against the high caliber gun against his chest. Stealing warmth from his chest.


Merge these.

He tapped his cigarette again, drifts of ashes pirouetting to the ground. With smoldering grace.


Merge again.

Ana with a ruptured jugular – her slender neck spent and piano-key white – a naked back as smooth as a concrete, and supple, sensual legs crumpled on the kitchen floor.


I'm kind of confused what's going on in this sentence. Did she get... raped or something? If so, do tell. Also, you've alread used the word sensual to describe a woman, so... different word.

A fallen Ana – like a withered blossom – on the kitchen floor, motionless as Ravno burned.


So, was Ana someone he loved or something? Because we've just been told Nikola was never with a girl. Nice similie, by the way.

His cheeks looked as though they had been scooped out of his face and his eyes bathed in dark shadows and hid under black circles of weariness.


Ooh, nice! Try hidden though.


-wipes hands- Well, that's done.

Okay, I definitely noticed your strong point is descriptive/figurative language. You've got that down beautifully! Your weak point is seperating sentences where they should be together. I notices lots of those. So keep you eyes out for that, kiddo.
This is an xcellently written piece. Me being a very... well, not very cautious person, I usually never go for the whole action/adventure thing. But I'm eager to see what happens to Nikola! :D

Toodles,
Holly




User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 am
Jiggity wrote a review...



His breath was ragged. Nervous. Laced with terror and fear and hopelessness.

Hopelessness.

*

The feel of its potency against his chest. Its slender neck, cool and harsh and rigid under his palm. The contours. The curves. Like a woman's hips. Full and sensual. And it seemed to whisper. It whispered feelings of confidence and assurance and collectivity. It whispered an end. It whispered relief.


Haha, this made me laugh. Microsoft Word must truly hate you. I imagine you are bombarded with squiggly green lines and 'Fragment: Consider Revising.' I think you should listed.

Those two examples above highlight your use of fragments - you should combine more of this into sentences, using comma's. As a technique, it is effective and you do it well but too often so it loses effect. Regardless of how well a story is written, this will ultimately detract from the experience. For example -

'The contours and curves - like a woman's hips, full and sensual; it whispered feelings of confidence, assurance and collectivity.'

Five fragments woven together - obviously you shouldn't do that to all of them, but I think the story could do with a balance of those and solitary fragments. There are just too many of them as it is, clustered together, that work equally well as full sentences.

He looked around at the hunched and ragged war refugees clustered together behind counters and twisted racks of clothing [s]and behind cardboard displays [/s]


Awkward sentence.

Outside, it was snowing ash.

And there were distant explosions like the sound of falling fruit.

Thump, thump, thump.

[s]And [/s]gunshots.


Apart from those and the equally over-the-top use of similies, this is a really well constructed, well written piece I think you should be proud of. A light revision of sentence structure will do a world of good though. I'm definetly interested in seeing where this goes and where the 'fantasy' ties in.

Cheers




User avatar
922 Reviews


Points: 42011
Reviews: 922

Donate
Fri May 23, 2008 4:13 pm
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...



Wow. This is so worldly, I'd love to see where the fantastical twist comes in...

Very nice writing here on your part. I love the taunt, sharp style.

Nikola looked away from Dmitry as the older teenager took a long drag on the cigarette and tapped it gently against his knee, and held the AK-47 in his hands a little tighter.


Kind of a long sentence there and by the end of it, I wasn't quite sure who it was about. A rewrite might be best.

ex. Dmitry took a long drag on the cigarette and tapped it gently against his knee. Nikola looked away and held the AK-47 in his hands a little tighter.

At the beginning, I assumed that Dmitry was the viewpoint character. Perhaps you should do a bit of clarification by mentioning Nikola a little more.

Also, when Nikola is holding his gun, you talk about the comfort it brings. That makes me assume he's used it. But then later, he thinks about how he doesn't really think he has the guts to shoot another person. How is a gun comforting then? Also, he's never been with a girl, so why would he compare a gun to a woman's hips. Don't get me wrong, that is kick-bum imagery and I bow down to you for it (*bows*) but it just seemed kind of inconsistent with the "innocent" we discover Nikola to be. Personally, both the musings on the gun's comforts and comparing it to a woman's curves seem more in tune with what we have seen of Dmitry.

Anyway, very nice writing. Seriously. I can't wait to read more. Therefore, I will...

*thumbs up*

~GryphonFledgling




User avatar
459 Reviews


Points: 10092
Reviews: 459

Donate
Mon May 19, 2008 10:56 pm
Poor Imp wrote a review...



Oy, Kylan, as an introduction this drew me in immediately. Taut narrative and layered dialogue.

...I'll be back to say rather more than that, with any luck. ^_^ But since I've been somewhat out of the loop, I've missed reading much...and your writing has grown. Not to mention, it has a brilliant setting.








IMP




User avatar
241 Reviews


Points: 1090
Reviews: 241

Donate
Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 am
lyrical_sunshine wrote a review...



*glares*
Why are you so amazing??? You make everyone else feel bad. Shame, shame on you Kylan.

But seriously, this is excellent. The one thing I saw was, I think, what Esme pointed out.. "'I have an aunt who lives in," he paused..." Put a hyphen or an ellipses after "in". :D

Jealous. Very jealous.




User avatar
571 Reviews


Points: 14170
Reviews: 571

Donate
Sun May 18, 2008 9:57 am
Esmé wrote a review...



Kylan,

Well, here I am, reading ‘part one’ after ‘part two’. This time I come bearing something (a tad bit) constructive.


Quote:
Looking out of the shattered department store window, he lit a third match and – his hands trembling violently – and touched the nodding flame to the tip of his last cigarette.

Two ‘and’.


Quote:
Nikola hoped to God that there was still hope in the situation.

I can understand the emphasis on the word ‘hope’, yet the one after the MC’s name I’d still switch for something else. Rather than add to the emphasis, it takes away something vital. Makes it ordinary.


Quote:
“Wish I had my music. Good stuff coming out of the states these days.

Capitalize ‘states’? However, later on it’s repeated and again in minors… Hm.


Quote:
I've got an aunt who lives in,” he paused, taking a thoughtful drag on his cigarette and tapping his hand every time he heard the distant gasp of a bomb, “I don't know.

‘lives in’? Not there? I hadn’t had much contact with English lately, and so I’m a bit out of touch. Sorry if my imagination is too wild, heh. But, first comma before first quote? I’d make that a period, and then ‘he paused’ would have the ‘he’ in capitals. To emphasize that pause. I’d generally make the above into three separate sentences, not one split dialogue one. But, may have gotten carried away.


Well, that’d be the end of that ‘constructiveness’. Lets move on to something less original - praise. You write wonderfully, and succeeded in making the events written with black letters on a white sheet of paper come alive without any struggle from my part. They did that by themselves. Portraying emotion, feeling, danger of the situation is your strong point. Will tell you when I find something to oppose that.


Cheers,
Esme




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 6070
Reviews: 277

Donate
Fri May 16, 2008 11:17 pm
Black Ghost wrote a review...



Hey Kylan!

I really liked this, interesting new story your brewing here. I couldn't really find anything wrong with it, though I thought this part seemed a little odd.

A harder question. Did he have the strength to pull a trigger? Did he have the resolve to paint another man's blood against walls? To see shocked expressions. To see splintered faces.


Questions without question marks stand out as funny to me. I only say this because it broke the flow of the narrative, so I think that deserves a look at. Maybe you could change it so they weren't questions? I don't want to suggest anything because I'm not sure if it would fit in with your style of writing, but I'm sure if you looked at if you'd find a good alternative. :)

[s]BlackGhost[/s]




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 6

Donate
Fri May 16, 2008 3:03 pm
mandy92 wrote a review...



Looking out of the shattered department store window, he lit a third match and – his hands trembling violently – and touched the nodding flame to the tip of his last cigarette.


In this sentence, you repeated "and"

Besides that mistake, this story is awesome! I think it's description was excellent. Let me know when you've written more. I'm really looking forward to it. :D




User avatar
713 Reviews


Points: 7740
Reviews: 713

Donate
Fri May 16, 2008 12:49 pm
BigBadBear wrote a review...



Hey, Kylan! I read about this in your blog that you never use. LOL! So, how's it going?

Nikola looked away from Dmitry as the older teenager took a long drag on the cigarette and tapped in gently against his knee, and held the AK-47 in his hands a little tighter.


I'm not quite sure about this. It's a long sentence, so I think you should either take the comma out after 'knee' or place a period after it. And insert, "He" before 'held'. Uh. Yeah.

Gah. I can't believe I didn't find anything else. *rolls eyes* A typical Kylan thing. Almost no mistakes... T_T

It was wonderful. Very captivating. I didn't want it to end there, either!

I think that you bog down your writing with too much description. In your blog you mentioned this also. There are a lot of similies and metaphors. They are good, but I think you overdose on them. After a while, I can't even remember what you were describing.

Anyway, it was awesome. PM me with the next update!@


-Jared




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Fri May 16, 2008 8:50 am
adeleay says...



I actually thought this was excellent :)
I really want to know what happens next.
What part of the first chapter is it? the beginning middle or end?





When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind