z

Young Writers Society



Holy Rolling (2)

by Kylan


[charlotte]

He couldn't keep his hands off of her.

Cold and dirty. A permanent grit of hard work and manure and hay seed etched into the lines of his palms. Grasping, mechanical, but not altogether unwelcome. Jim pushed her against the slatted wall of the barn, flaking paint and red. The cold utensils of his fingers, prodding. Charlotte's quiet, breathless words in his ear. Soft, contradictory encouragement. A slow unwinding. She could feel his hands slipping up her shirt. Full of hungriness and sin. And him, excited by the milk and honey of her pale skin, warm and flat as the hood of a car in the sun. Kissing her neck, the undersides of her wrists, pink and tender as the slender necks of lilies. Animals in the stall, heedless of the taut twining arms and dusty gasps. Standing in the hay. Jim's inhibitions were long gone, smothered and dead. And he was in control. And they both knew this. But the traveling of his hands made Charlotte stiffen a little.

“Jim,” she said, withering.

His traveling hands. Traveling, shiftless, soulless hands.

In between kisses he said, “What's the matter?”

“Jim, stop.”

“Nah, hon.”

Charlotte squeezes her eyes tight and grabs his hands through her shirt. He looks up. Dilated, moonstruck eyes. His face smooth and well-worn as a family bible. “Come on, Charlie.” He whispered, and leaned in for another kiss, but Charlotte pulled back.

“We shouldn't, Jim. We can't.”

He looked at her for a little bit. And then he let go of her and stepped back, wiping the edge of his mouth and the sweat on his face with the back of his hand. He shook his head. “I knew it.”

“Knew what?”

“I knew you'd let a bunch of rules and preachy bastards get in our way.”

“It's not that, Jim.”

“Then what the hell is it?”

She looked at the ground. The horses and milkcows sweated in the heat, their mouths bristly and moist and grumpy, and their ratty tails flicking back and forth like little chinaman braids. Charlotte shrugged. “I don't know.”

“Are you going to let a couple sermons and a slap on the hand cheat you out of some fun? Huh? I know you, Charlie. Godssakes, you're one of the wildest, funnest girls in the county. And I love you because of that. Wouldn't want you any other way.”

Flies mumbled and recited dizzying, diseased nonsense. She looked at him. Hot sun nosed through the knotholes and slats in the barn. An oppressive, stifling tiredness. Charlotte closed her eyes and sighed and Jim moved closer to her. He wrapped his arms around her waist. The cool dampness of his shirt. The crazy, motown beat of his heart, elaborating voicelessly. He kissed her neck. Cold. Sugarcubed. His rough lips like brushing beetlewings.

“Come on, kid. The devil can't feel this good.”

Her hair stray and listlessly golden in the spool of the sun, like a pitchfork-full of hay.

“Okay,” she said. “Alright. Screw em.”

Jim laughed and unbuttoned his shirt. “That's the spirit.”

The heat blossomed.

[franklin]

Pastor Franklin looked over his glasses at the congregation. The women fat and dimpled at the knees and elbows. Their dresses tight and limp. Waving hymn books, hands, hats at their full, sweating faces. Mouths hanging open, hinged and squeaky. The men lean and sickled, like overused farm tools. Their cornmeal skin tanned, dried, poulticed. Humble and horny. Rug-beaten by the sun. The girls toothless and pink. Socks pulled up to their knees and smelling of dolls and lilac, fermented in the heat. The boys scoured and tarnished. Their pockets full of shrively dead frogs and marbles. Everyone drugged and sapped. All the windows in the small church open and the doors, too. But sitting anything other than the shade of a tree was as hot as momma's kitchen when she's fixing for company.

He took off his glasses, folded them neatly, and set them on the pulpit.

He looked at the sermon he had prepared before him and then back up at the congregation.

“The Lord Almighty has given us everything,” he says.

Amen, said the crowd, bored and dumb-looking, their faces muted and dirty.

“He has given us our children, our wives, our husbands, our land, our backs to work with, our hearts to feel with, the sweet water, the muck, the heartache. He has given us his son, the only begotten, our lord and savior Jesus, Jesus. He's given us the cool,” he paused and smiled a little, “and the godawful hot.”

Amen.

Louder this time. A little laughing. But laughing just wasted energy. The men had their hands folded over their scrunched up guts, folded like cootie-catchers. They smiled lazy, droopy smiles and tried to sleep a little bit.

Pastor Franklin bit his lip and looked off. In a softer voice he said, “He's given us hope and good. But right along beside it, another customer, he's given us damning sin and despair. Sin, brothers and sisters. What do we do with our sins? Whisper em to the reeds? Talk to me about them? Pray? What do we do when we see a sin standing right before us, bold as day, full of ugly hell and smiling a rotten smile and saying come here, brother? Come here, sister. Taste me. Taste this cool, sweet apple and know me. Look at him. Look at your neighbor. Look at all the hard, righteous work he does and look where that has gotten him. A limp, some rusty tools, and a bunch of bratty kids. Doesn't sound like a life to me. What do you do? What?”

He looks into the empty, murky faces.

“You rise up and you say 'Get thee hence, Satan! You ugly, bastard son of perdition!” he roared, spit frothing at the corners of his mouth. “You turn your back on the whore and the gambler and the bottle and you join your father in heaven in sweet, sweet untarnished salvation! Salvation and eternal life, brothers and sisters! Everlasting joy! Do I hear an A-men!”

Amen!

Voice scratchy and broken as a love song on a transistor radio, “And when earth and hell combines against you and says 'come here' and 'come there' you turn to your holy bible and you read until your eyes fall out! Until your fingertips is papercut and your throat's dry and you've chased that ugly sin away!”

Amen!

Bright, filemented eyes, now. Faces red and fevered, a drain of passion. The heartburn of righteousness and hate and soul and praise festering at their fingertips and the amens spilling from their lips and the old time religion stomping their feet and puppeteering their flabby, sunspoiled arms.

Amen! God almighty, amen! amenamenamen!

And Pastor Franklin up at the pulpit waving his arms around, his flopping jowls, and his teeth shining and pressed like saxophone buttons. His eyes brewed up and fiery as a home remedy and his hands pulling down the wrath and torment of god. Hands clapping. Hallelujahs rising. Orgy of gut and stink and sweaty exoneration. The words of his sermon came easy now. Right off the top of his head. Words like bees from his papery lips, choking the room with a transcendental putridness. Squelching in the heat.

“Lord God, make us whole!” he cried heavenward, his whole body pried and screwed tight. “Give us strength and make us right!”

No one could hear him anymore.

And no one really noticed when Mrs. Parris fell off of the pew, either, squirming and writhing like a fishing worm on a hook. Too caught up in the frenzy of heat and God. Her eyes wide open. Her mouth tight and rigid and biting her tongue, so that blood squished from behind her teeth, frothy and pink. The shoulder of her dress slipped off to reveal a bony, spotted shoulder. Drowning groans. Old popping bones. Then someone, stood up and screamed for help and it was another minute before things quieted down enough for people to start yelling for a doctor. Pastor Franklin looked down. He felt his heart contract a beat and he stepped off of the pulpit and ran down the aisle. Mrs. Parris, jerking her arms around, a fluttering body dance, but slowing down, like a carnival tilt-a-whirl at the end of a ride. Someone pried open her mouth and stuck a hymn book there. Her tongue was swollen and red. There was blood running down her cheeks and people were saying, Pray for her, preacher! Pray for her! Cast out her demon, Father!

God in heaven, he thought. A devil in my church.

And he knelt down beside her and put his hand on her forehead. He opened his mouth.

But immediately, Mrs. Parris stopped moving.

She looked up at Franklin, her eyes clear and sober. Her white, respectable hair stray and loose and framing her face. A cold pit settled in his stomach just looking at her, a frivolous, frightened feeling, like a gray ghost story told over a fire.

She said thickly, “Wait. Love it. I can't hear them anymore, I swear it! I swear. Hold on. Savor. Swing a minute, but wait and listen.”

“Mrs. Parris,” he whispered.

Her eyes rolled into the back of her head. And her throat gurgled. She spat blood and wiped it away shakily with the back of her hand. People leaned in. Tight-faced and tripwire-lipped. The air humming. Quiet and bent as the rows of corn in the moonlight. Mrs. Parris shivered and balled herself up. She shook her head and her lips pouted, drawn together. “Momma,” she whispered. “I won't eat it, I won't. I don't like it.” Her voice rising to a shrill crescendo. “Take it away from me or I'll scream! I'll scream, I tell you! Oh, now look what you've done! All over the dress! I – ”

The old woman gasped and her spine arched her straight up. Franklin bolted back. Her jaw working and churning. Her arms flapping useless and nerveless at her sides, treading the air.

“Mrs. Parris!”

“We are deceived! We have the devil among us! Flee, children! For the angel comes! Oh, Lord! Oh, good savior! And fear me! We are done for! The wicked have poisoned us all!”

Her mouth clamped shut, like the lid of a music box, and she fell forward, into Franklin's lap. Silent. The crowd was silent. She was heavy. He shoved her off. He realized he was panting, his heart strumming in his chest and in his ears. His mouth dry as cottonwood. The doctor ran in and pushed through the voiceless crowd. He knelt by the old woman's side. Lipless. His hands smooth and vain. Smelling of chemicals and books. He put two fingers to the base of her neck. He waited a moment. He looked up at Franklin.

“Dead,” he said.

The perverted silence sunk, weighted by all the deflated spiritualism.

The heat shivered.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
402 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 402

Donate
Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:19 pm
Clo wrote a review...



Kylan! One of these days I'm going to get to one of your pieces first and then I'm going to have so much to say. Until then, I agree with what that one person up there said about just publishing the darn thing. But here's what I have to say with what considerations I do have:

Jim pushed her against the slatted wall of the barn, flaking paint and red.

This bit here seems odd -- flaking paint and red... seems like red should just come before paint so you don't have to use that little clunky and. "Flaking red paint".

This sex scene is very well written. Your word choice and the arrangement in which you place those words is masterful -- the imagery is so strong, and you bring clear emotion to it so that it's obvious which each person in the act is thinking. It's really enjoyable because it just reads so well, and I move right along without stumbling over any awkward instances or strange words. It's like you have an alliance with words and the right word will just come to you on a whim. It's amazing.

The heat blossomed.

This repetition is nice. I feel like it's building something up. Hmm. Very exciting!

When it comes to the "Franklin" part, I didn't enjoy it as much as "Charlotte" or the first part. The hell-fire preacher idea has an air of cliche about it, though he is an interesting character, and I found myself not entirely interested in all his preaching. I would suggest cutting out some of his lines, as not to overload on the hell-fire aspect to his character -- we can already tell what he is, we see lines that show his method of preaching, so too much of it is unnecessary, or I feel like I'm reading Jonathan Edwards's sermons again, and they're not too interesting either. ;)

As for him swearing, what Jared mentioned -- let him swear. His method of preaching is meant to be passionate, and so they swear. It's true to character.

Can't wait to read the next part! You need to start submitting these things to magazines and publishers, Kylan, seriously.

~ Clo




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:49 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



-waltzes in-
Oh! There's more of this! ^_^ Let me check it out then. ^_^

Charlotte squeezes her eyes tight and grabs his hands through her shirt. He looks up. Dilated, moonstruck eyes.


Eep! Tense change here again. >_<;; Please, please fix.

The crazy, motown beat of his heart, elaborating voicelessly. He kissed her neck. Cold. Sugarcubed. His rough lips like brushing beetlewings.


So beautiful! =D

Everyone drugged and sapped.


Okay, I acknowledge this as your style. I adore your style and the descriptions you use, especially all the ones that came before this line. ... There is, however, a possible problem with the way you use sentences. I get the feeling that maybe, in this passage, you kind of just took 'were' or 'was' out of sentences to make them not sound so boring and instead got all your custom fragmenty-thingies. =/ I mean, I like the descriptions, but maybe just MAYBE you could find a way to work those descriptions into sentences about active actions or something like that? -shrugs- It's probably not fit to work with your style, but as much as I love your descriptions, the choppiness gets to be a bit much sometimes. That's just one reader, though. =]

A limp, some rusty tools, and a bunch of bratty kids. Doesn't sound like a life to me. What do you do? What?


Huh. This section of the priest's thingy was kind of confusing. When he used 'me', I didn't know if he was referring to himself or speaking as if he was Jesus/God. Here, though, it definitely is referring to himself, and I don't find that fitting for the speech. It's kind of like revealing the author of a work through the writing when it should just be a seamless story {most of the time}. Maybe take out his references to himself? -shrugs-

This was amazing though. The scene at the church got me especially caught up in the moment.

-hobbles on to the third part- ^_^




User avatar
695 Reviews


Points: 2242
Reviews: 695

Donate
Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:39 pm
Angel of Death wrote a review...



Here again!

Gosh, this really had my heart racing at the speed of light! I couldn't stop reading and I'm not sure if I saw any mistakes or not because I just couldn't focus on that, this is really really good and the flow to this is beautiful. It has rhythm, excitement, and this is just truly written well. Also, I'm seeing a pattern. The last part ended with:

The heat died


Then there was:

The heat blossomed.


And lastly:

The heat shivered.


I wonder if the heat is causing all this madness. Well, I shall continuing reading.

Good job,

~Angel

*gold star*




User avatar
713 Reviews


Points: 7740
Reviews: 713

Donate
Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:52 pm
BigBadBear wrote a review...



Kylan--

Holy cow! I haven't critiqued this yet?! Sheesh. I suck.


Just publish it all so I can go buy the book. It'd be a lot easier.


Well said.

Well, Kylan... I really hate you right now. I desperately wish this were a book in my hands; I need to turn the page and read on! Kylan, I'm so hooked, it's not even funny. I don't know what to say anymore! This is like Elephant Boy. It's insanely gripping, moving and just amazing. Kylan, I applaud for you.

There is only one thing that bothered me. The priest cussed too much. I mean... he is a priest, and not swearing is one of the 10 commandments, so at least he would follow that? I don't know what the religion is, but it most certainly is a Christianity, whom believe in the 10 commandments. Anyway. The priest was the only one that really bugged me.

-

The first scene surprised me. XD Kylan's writing sex scenes. *immature snort* Anyway, it was well done. I didn't see much wrong with it other than the guy, what's his face? Jim seemed a little too pushy.

I'm excited to see how this will all come together. As others have said before me, I'm hooked.

-Jared




User avatar
387 Reviews


Points: 27175
Reviews: 387

Donate
Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:02 pm
Kylan says...



Thanks everyone for the comments! Too kind. Much too kind. :wink:

-Kylan




User avatar
164 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 164

Donate
Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:34 pm
Ares says...



Just publish it all so I can go buy the book. It'd be a lot easier.




User avatar
106 Reviews


Points: 1361
Reviews: 106

Donate
Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:35 pm
nixonblitzen wrote a review...



I feel humbled giving you any criticism.

I love the mood of this piece. The descriptions are just amazing. Personally, I love fragments and I like your use of them. You use strings of fragments to move along the plot.

It's very readable, but once in a while you have these long paragraphs that really break up the flow. After reading "He couldn't keep his hands off of her," seeing a long paragraph can be a bit deterring to the reader.

“Come on, Charlie.” He whispered, and leaned in for another kiss, but Charlotte pulled back.


I don't believe you would make this mistake, but it seems like the period after Charlie should be a comma and the h shouldn't be capitalized, right?

When is this supposed to be set? I felt some of your descriptions (motown, cootie-catcher) didn't fit as well with the setting. Well, cootie-catcher might work, but I don't see why motown has any right to be in this setting.

You did a good job building up the excitement of the sermon. It was believable (insomuch as I can say, having never been to a hellfire sermon).

This is so appealing because, as a reader, I want to know more. Where did the dead man in the river come from? Why doesn't Charlotte want to? And Mrs. Parris just dies in church? But, as a writer, I really appreciate the way you only half-tell, so I feel conflicted.

This is really just amazing.

rachel




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 6

Donate
Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 am
muffy wrote a review...



There is so much flow in this. I don't even think I could give you any useful critique. I really liked how this whole religious theme was tied in since the begining with the description of the guy's worn faced that resembled a bible. I really enjoyed this, and I can't wait to see more.




User avatar
369 Reviews


Points: 15698
Reviews: 369

Donate
Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:08 am
Conrad Rice wrote a review...



Hey, Ky, here I am.

Okay, now I am hooked. I just had a little bit of trouble getting past your first section. So, the first part of this section was all right. I did like the dialogue between Jim and Charlotte. It clicked, which is what all good dialogue should do.

As for the second part, I have to raise a couple of questions. First, though the time period just might call for it, a hellfire preacher is really kind of cliche at this point. For now he seems all right. But you are going to need to try to bring him out of the traditional mannerisms of such a preacher at some point, if you don't want him to be so cliche. As for the second question, it has to do with the name Mrs. Parris. Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but Parris was the name of the minister in The Crucible. That seems like too close of a correlation to me, so you might consider a name change. If you intended it as an homage, however, then by all means keep it.

All in all, looking good. Again, I apologize for how long it took me to get around and review this. I'm sorry I waited, it's looking very good. Good job, and good luck.

-Conrad





"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare