Rodeo

by KylaThompson

She says don't go,
I still love you.
He doesn't care,
He has a rodeo to go to.
8 seconds, is all he needs.
He'll hold on, till his fingers bleed.
He came for the buckle,
He came for the prize.
He has won again tonight.
He loves to hear them
Scream his name.
It's all about the girls,
All about the fame.
She's still there,
All alone.
She's worried sick,
She wants him home.
He drinks another beer,
Along with more pills.
He leaves her there,
Paying his bills.
They call him brave,
They call him amazing.
The call him courageous,
I call him crazy.

Iggy wrote a review...

Hello buddy! :D Ariel here to save the day with a review!

Now, nice poem, I say. You are so talented! It was a bit hard to comprehend, for me anyways, but I gather that he abandons his wife to go do a rodeo(s)? Anyways, it was a nice poem. :3

One thing I suggest ia breaking the poem up into stanzas. You know what that is, right? I hope so, otherwise I am doing a terrible job as mentor! XD See, the poem looks too crowded, in my opinion. I suggest breaking them up into four lines per stanza, which is usually the standard.

Next, like SparkOfDoubt said, what happened here?:

I call him crazy.

It really does disrupt the entire flow of the poem. Switching from third to first isn't realy noticible to someone who isn't experienced in reading poetry, but it is a biiiiig mistake and will be noticed by those educated in poetry, like an English professor. I recommend you fix that ASAP, and change "I" to "She".

Another thing is the rhyme scheme. I see that sometimes you'll have one:

He loves to hear them A
Scream his name. B
It's all about the girls, C
All about the fame. B

And at other times in the poem, it isn't present. Not sure if that is intentional or not, I just wated to point it out. If you intended for that to happen, then okay! It's fine, I just wanted to touch upon it.

Well, that's it! Good job, Kyla! I'm proud of you, and this is a beautiful poem. Keep up the good work!

Cheers.~

xx Ariel.

LadySpark wrote a review...

Hellooooo! here as requested! :D

But he doesn't care,

He has too win again tonight.
He loves to hear them
scream his name.

It's all about the girls,
All about the fame.
She's still there,
sitting by the phone/
All alone.

I feel like the 'All Alone' bit is just a little too out of place. It messes up the really nice rhythm you had going, which makes me really sad. I'd delete it. 'Sitting by the phone' is what I would add, because it follows along with the theme and beat of the piece.

He drinks another beer,
Along with more pills.

Once again, something has messed up your rhythm. This word is out of place. Try to find a new way to say it or a new word.

I call him crazy

Whoa, suddenly another POV appears, right at the end of the poem? Where did this third voice come from?

So, this poem reminds me of the song Rodeo by Garth Brooks. Seriously. I loved it. One thing though, I would suggest you consider splitting this into stanzas. The meaning is getting befuddled and confused in the translation because it's all muddled into one lonnnnngggg stanza. Other than that and the nitpicks above, it was fabulous!
Spark

KylaThompson says...

I will definitely take note of that, I will see what I can do thanks a bunch! And Garth Brooks is amazing by the way :)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:53 pm
Ary says...

Hello! Ok, I'm not the best reviewer (I'm still a work in progress...) but I'll try my best :)
Anyways, let's start! So first off I can see the characters jumping easily from the nice woman to the jerk (I hope it's ok to call him that) that's quite good, considering not everyone can do that so easily. I can see the struggle the woman is suffering for the man...the things people will do for love.*sighs*
I do like the way the rhyme flows, although for it second it kinda got lost but after I read it for like the sixth time (I think...) I saw the flow and the pause (the bump) work perfectly.
But I still got confused in some parts I think it was the format, or was it called the shape, of the poem that makes it a bit woobly in one part.
quote:" 8 seconds, is all he needs.
He'll hold on, till his fingers bleed."
But overall I don't see any problem with the substance of the poem. Keep at it; *whispers* "Because I really enjoyed it!
Until next time ;)
Ary

KylaThompson says...

Thank you Ary!!!!

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:43 am
DreamsRain says...

your poem i think is funny and adorable, i really love how you have kinda to things clashing. like her feelings and his actions.

KylaThompson says...

Thank you very much :)

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:59 am
dogs wrote a review...

Hello there Kayla! Dogs here with your review today. You have a good piece to start, a nice idea taking the conception of grand and loved performers and not that great most the time. You keep your grammar simple which always makes my editing job easier. I do have a couple quick points, let's dive in now shall we?

First, I think that maybe you should break this into separate stanzas to organize the thought progression in this piece. So for example, try doing something like this:

"He has a rodeo to go to.
8 seconds, is all he needs.
He'll hold on, till his fingers bleed.

He came for the buckle,"

So on and so forth, I'll leave it up to you where to decide to put in those stanzas, but it just makes it read a little smoother.

"He has a rodeo to go to"

You use "to" twice in this line a little too close in proximity of one another, try editing one of them out or rephrasing the line so it flows smoothly.

"He'll hold on, till his fingers bleed."

I want you to describe this a little more, bring the reader into the moment, as his dry knuckles split and oozed sticky blood. Something along those lines, I know you can do better than my lame efforts right there.

Maybe you should push the brutish characteristics of the "him" in the poem. Maybe have him making out with some girl as you do mention it's all about the girls. I wouldn't suggest going as far as having him porking around with a girl, maybe insinuate it, but don't describe it.

All and all it's a good piece, I like your ending. Good way to bring closure to this piece. I think with a little bit of polishing and what not this good be an excellent piece. Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032

KylaThompson says...

Thank you very much Dogs, I loved this review. I know my poems are just starters, and i knew they weren't the greatest but I do want to be a journalist so I do need words of wisdom to become a proper journalist. My biggest problem right now is my grammar and punctuations. I don't know why I'm having trouble, but it is starting to bother me. I'm not exactly sure how to put some words in the right text. (ex. You're; your. It's; its) I really want to get the right tone though so people understand the poem and what I'm trying to express. I'm trying to get it to where it is about him riding and leaving her, but I also wanted her to show emotion accordingly.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 am
Rarity wrote a review...

Hello there dove! First and foremost, welcome to YWS! I hope you love it! And now... the review. It's a great start. I like the different scenario of love. She loves him, he doesn't love, and or, appreciate her. As far as critiquing goes, I noticed that the rhyme scheme is not consistent, so I would suggest working on that, and the flow of the piece as well. I am slightly confused; there are times when you say 'she' and other times you say 'I'. Are they the same person? If so, I would recommend using one or the other. Another thing, try writing out eight instead of using the numeral, it looks better. Like I said, definetly a great start! Keep writing!

Rarity

KylaThompson says...

Thank you very much! I wasn't for sure about the eight so I was hoping someone would give me word on that. On line 1 and 2 I see what you are talking about; Instead of I still love you, it should've been "I still love you" because it is meant as a quote. At the end I do see it probably didn't end quite well as I planned. I was wanting to describe them as if I'm narrating a story from a book, and then give my input so if that is something that you see as confusing, I understand. Thank you very much for your input though and I hope to hear more from you :)

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor