z

Young Writers Society


12+

Short gothic story "The Path" - Draft

by Korlix, Korlix


Hey community, even though i appreciate reviews, i would appreciate it even more if you could simply fill out this survey once you have read my story! Thank you so much. - Korlix

https://survey.zohopublic.com/zs/QtBVEo

I opened my eyes. I did not know whether I ever opened them or if the blind of darkness had just left them. I was standing on a trail to an end which I could not see. It seemed to be an evening, for I saw no sun in the sky. However, neither was there a moon. I looked at my wrist. My watch was gone, even though I am convinced I never take if off. I looked down. I wasn't wearing clothes, yet I didn't feel cold. I began to walk along the path, while looking around. There was no person and there was no animal. Neither was there vegetation. Just a field of darkness. It wasn't darkness itself; it was just the absence of everything else...the absence of living in general. Did I have my eyes open? I did not know.

The path was the one thing I saw. It did not comfort me to see it, for I did not know if the path was an image stuck in my head or a present object. I kneeled. I moved my hand onto the path, yet I could not feel the crust of the earth. Neither could I feel my muscles move and yet I could see my hand strive along this path. Was it an image after all? I stood up and I jumped. I ran forward. I spun my arms in circles. I stretched my back. There was no feeling. I knew I was doing the action, for I did see myself doing it. However the emotion of it was missing. Was I paralysed? I took a deep breath through my nose. No scent. What is this? Is my nose blocked? I licked my arm. I did not feel the moisture of my saliva run along it. I pinched my stomach. No pain. It was as if all my senses had abandoned me, but one. My vision. And yet I still could not tell whether my eyes were open. I tried to feel along my face with my hand. I tried to identify what was mouth, the nose, the eyes... with no success. I held my hands right in front of my eyes. There was no darkness. I could see my hands, the lining and wrinkles on them, but no darkness. I clapped my hands together. Clapped them harder. Faster. Even faster. No sound. And no way to tell if my ears were present.

I carried on moving forward along the path. The pattern never changed, the path was a perfect lining of dirt. There were no animal tracks, no tire tracks and no footprints. I turned around. I saw nothing. It wasn't much of a difference I suppose, except one. The one thing that was present when looking forward. The path. I took five steps forward and turned around. There was no path and yet I saw it, while moving forward. Is my last sense also abandoning me? I carried on moving forward along the path. I did not want to turn around again; otherwise I might also lose sight of the path in front of me. A memory came to my mind, or rather another memory, since I still couldn’t tell if this path was of reality. It was my wife telling me to pick up our son from kindergarten today, as she was busy. Did I pick him up? 2 O'clock she said and I shouldn't be late again. Was I late? Was it past 2.00? And the eggs! I have to buy those too, before going home. Six eggs in total, she said. We need them to make a birthday cake for our son this weekend. Did I ever go to the market?

I stopped. The path lead me to a pier. How come I did not see it until now? Surely anything would have stood out, if around me there was nothing. Nothing apart from the path. There was water and a small row boat at the end of the pier. The water somehow comforted me. Instantly I went on all fours and leaned over the pier to look inside the water. "You won't see a thing", said a voice. A voice! My ears, do they work? "Nay", the voice said. "There is nothing that is needed to be heard, nothing needed to be smelled, nothing needed to be tasted and nothing needed to be felt", said the voice. I stood up and saw a person sitting in the row boat. Who was he? "It does not matter who I am", he said. I walked towards the boat and sat down in it. "But if you must know, my name is Chairon", he said. He said... yet without opening his mouth. "As I said there is nothing to be heard". "I can see your thoughts and you can see mine, there is nothing to hide". I gave him the coin and he began to row. I felt no comfort in finding something living, or rather something at all. I suppose the wood of the pier and the boat counted as the first form of plant I saw.

Another memory came to mind. It was of my workplace. I stood next to a vending machine and something caught my attention. There weren't a lot of people there that day and most of them wanted to withdraw money. A man stormed in. A scream. There was a moment of hectic. I moved my hand to my waist. A loud echoing bang. Pain and another bang shortly after. Another scream. That was all. I understood. So it is true, it does exist. "It exists for the minds that see it. If you expect to see it, you will. It is a time for peace of the heart and whatever way your heart can find peace is presented to you". So did I expect darkness? "But is it darkness? You didn't expect something, therefore nothing is presented, or rather the absence of everything". How come I can remember things from before? "I do not know the answer". How do I know that this is reality and not just an image put into my mind? "There is no way to know, it is what you make of it". What I make of it... like life! It is what one makes of it. So is this reality after all? But if so, why do all my senses abandon me? "As I said, there is nothing needed -". I know, I know.

After a while of silence another thought came to my mind. Why can I see you? "I can't tell you, I suppose it is the way that your heart wanted". Did it? A long path... a pier and a boat ride? Another memory. It was of my wife. I was looking at her and she was smiling while we were sitting in a row boat. Her laughter echoing in my head. I kneeled and she gasped. She said yes and smiled as happy as never before. The image left me and now I was looking at Chairon. But why you? I do not mean to offend you, but wouldn't my heart find peace in the eyes of my wife? "This world is limited to those who are part of it. It can not show you something that is yet to become part". So I am part of it... this isn't an image. This isn't a memory. This is now. This is... "What you make of it", said Chairon. The boat stopped. We reached another pier, identical to the first. I stood up and got out of the boat and walked onto the path joining the pier."Make what you want from it, to find your peace". I turned around, but the pier, as well as the water and the boat with Chairon, were gone.

What I make of it... I thought to myself. I was thinking of all the memories that ever brought joy or happiness to my life. The sunset I would watch with my son every evening. Magnolia trees that would bloom every spring. Stroking my dog, Arthur, when I was a child. Eating my grandma's apple pie. Driving my Cadillac Eldorado convertible along the empty highway. Playing baseball with the guys and going for a drink afterwards. Movie nights with my wife. My wife... I stopped thinking. I looked in front of me. The path was gone; in front of me was a highway with magnolia trees on both sides of it and a Cadillac Eldorado parked in front of me. At the end of the highway was the sun, about to set. I noticed that not all my joyous memories were there. I opened the car door and out jumped a dog that looked identical to Arthur. He barked and jumped around in circles. He barked! I could hear the low pitched bark of my dog! Then I realized that I could also feel the sun lying on my skin and the sweet scent of magnolia in the air. I smiled. I sat down in the driver’s seat and stroked my dog while he licked my face. I felt the moisture of his saliva on my face. I never thought that a dog's saliva could bring so much joy to my heart. On the passengers’ seat was a slice of a warm apple pie on a plate. I took it in my hand and took a bite. The fresh taste of apples in a texture which was incredibly soft with a crusty lining melted in my mouth. It was delicious and just there and then I realized that my sense of taste was present. I cried. I was in an incredibly happy state of euphoria, but then a realization struck me. This isn't reality. This isn't my real grandma’s apple pie, this isn't my Cadillac Eldorado car, this isn't my real dog Arthur, these aren't real magnolia trees and this isn't the real sun. In the world of reality my wife is now on her own with my son, while I am in this world of fantasy.

A tear rolled down my cheek." No one can give you back reality, but isn't life just a world of fantasy? A world where it depends on what you make of it? Isn't it an illusion of unlimited options and paths?". I looked around. The sun was gone, as well as the dog, the car, the highway and the apple pie. Who was this? Where was this voice coming from? Who did it belong to? "We have spoken already". Chairon? "I am what you make of me. The image you wanted to see earlier was Chairon, as the scenery reminded you of your wife". I do not want this fantasy! I want to see reality! "Then find your path. You have unlimited paths, just like in your reality. Fight for your path. Fight for your heart. Fight!”.

There was a beeping sound. Once again there was darkness, but it was a different kind of darkness. It wasn't the kind which was to be seen due to the absence of living, it was the kind of darkness you saw in the sky at night. The kind of darkness you saw when you turned off the lights. The kind of darkness you had when you closed your eyes. It was peace. My senses came back. I felt an instant pinch of pain in my chest and my entire body was in agony. It was beautiful. I was so grateful to feel these emotions, for I knew they were real. I managed to open my eyes and glistering light shone into them and the darkness left them, left me. I felt as if I were in paradise. Then all my senses blended in. I could see my wife sitting next to me. I could feel my dried out mouth. I could smell the scent of hand sanitizer and once again I could feel that agonizing pain in my chest. Once again, I cried. Once again, I smiled. I have chosen my path.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 4007
Reviews: 117

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:53 pm
View Likes
crossroads wrote a review...



Hi there, Korlix, and welcome to YWS ;)

I checked your survey link, but decided to leave this review nonetheless.. I think I will cover more or less the same things you ask for there anyway.

First off, I liked this quite a lot. You have some great descriptions in there, it's easy to follow, flows nicely and successfully pulls the reader in. I like the way you created the atmosphere, and the idea itself (about the complete absence of feelings, smells, everything) seems quite original.

However, there are things which could be improved. Let's take a look at the first paragraph.

I opened my eyes. I did not know whether I ever opened them or if the blind of darkness had just left them.


This just doesn't really work - the second line offers the taste of that mysterious atmosphere which will follow the reader throughout the entire piece, but it looks almost funny combined with the first one.
"I opened my eyes. I didn't know if I opened them or etc." That's like saying "I ate a potato. I wasn't exactly sure that I ate it."

I don't think it was your intention, but that's how it seems at the first read. Perhaps try combining them:

[qoute]I did not know whether I ever opened my eyes, or if the blind of darkness had just left them.[/quote]

I was standing on a trail to an end which I could not see. It seemed to be an evening, for I saw no sun in the sky. However, neither was there a moon. I looked at my wrist. My watch was gone, even though I am convinced I never take if off. I looked down. I wasn't wearing clothes, yet I didn't feel cold. I began to walk along the path, while looking around. There was no person and there was no animal. Neither was there vegetation. Just a field of darkness. It wasn't darkness itself; it was just the absence of everything else...the absence of living in general. Did I have my eyes open? I did not know.


You have a lot of sentence fragments here. Short sentences can sometimes add to the general feeling of the story, yes, but not when overused. When I read this part, especially if I try reading it out loud, it's stopping all the time, and it's hard to keep concentrated on the thought in the story.
It might be better if you connected them now and then;

I was standing on a trail to an end which I could not see. It seemed to be an evening, for I saw no sun in the sky - however, neither was there a moon. I looked at my wrist: my watch was gone, even though I was convinced I never took it off. I looked down. I wasn't wearing clothes, yet I didn't feel cold. I began to walk along the path, while looking around. There was no person and there was no animal, not even vegetation; just a field of darkness. It wasn't darkness itself; it was just the absence of everything else... the absence of living in general. Did I have my eyes open? I did not know.


It's a really small change, but I think it works better ^^ It's the same with other parts of the story - I won't be quoting them all, I'm fairly sure you get the picture.

It got slightly confusing to follow the dialogue. While I wouldn't quite like to see it in the form of proper dialogue, I do think you could use more than quotation marks to distinguish one person's speech from the other's (although they are thoughts and not really words). Perhaps writing Chairon's lines in italic?

This story reminded me of a movie which I can't remember the original name of. Robin Williams plays the husband , who dies in a car crash along with the kid(s?).. then he finds himself in this sort of afterlife, and walks through pictures his wife paints and..so on and so forth. It's not exactly the same thing, but it reminded me of it quite a bit - which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Overall, I think it's a very nice piece, with some great imagery and descriptions. I would like to see more characterisation, though.
Oh, also.
the moisture of my/his saliva

This isn't a phrase which is very often seen used, and it kind of sticks out too hard when used twice in such a short piece.

I believe that would be it. I'd like to read the finished version if you redo it, so feel free to let me know on my wall or via PM ;)

Cheers,
~Aria




Korlix says...


Thank you very much for your review, i must say i am very much impressed. I will change the story before it is fully completed as this is the first official draft version of it and editing is still crucial ^^.

I got an overall opinion regarding the fragmented sentence type i used, which pretty much is: It doesn't flow nicely. I must say i very much agree; at first i wanted it to reflect on individual thoughts that just pass by in the protagonist's mind rather than a whole lot that come in one go. However as clearly seen the emphasis of this isn't taken the way it should be by my clear overuse of them, which i didn't really pick up on when writing it myself.

While on the topic of the protagonist; personally i didn't want to give him too much of a personality or background (kept rather broad) so that every viewer can relate to his situation with THEIR own thoughts of what they would think and feel rather than trying to find the answers from the story. However i did get some feedback saying that they want more thoughts and feelings from the protagonist to seem more human. I can see where they are coming from but at the same time that kind of contrasts with the original idea. If you have a personal opinion on this topic please feel free to share and comment below :).

On a side note: Never saw or heard from that movie... coincidental i guess? Maybe i would have written things differently to seem a little more unique then... after all, i didn't know that something similar had been done before.

Thanks again for the analysis,

Korlix



User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 4169
Reviews: 42

Donate
Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:05 am
View Likes
malachitear wrote a review...



Hey there!

Apple Dumpling Gang for a review!

It took me a while to read this through, but I thought it was rather good!

The part I liked best was this paragraph:

Another memory came to mind. It was of my workplace. I stood next to a vending machine and something caught my attention. There weren't a lot of people there that day and most of them wanted to withdraw money. A man stormed in. A scream. There was a moment of hectic. I moved my hand to my waist ...(it goes on)


However, looking at this same quote, I think you can see something pretty major. A crucial element of a good story is one that has a controlled pace, keeping the reader immersed i the story, as it allows both better understanding, and more coherence in your own writing.

It's really tiring to read this piece because it's really fragmented. Making everything into short sentences not only jarrs the reader, but also makes the story harder to follow (a question in your survey)

Try to 'show' more than you tell. For example, instead of saying 'smell the scent of hand sanitizer and once again I could feel that agonizing pain in my chest.' It would really make a difference here.

But this is still pretty good, so don't worry!

I didn't reply to your survey because I don't really think it's my way to review XD

Keep Writing!
-Binder




Korlix says...


Very detailed review and i will use the constructive criticism to improve the story as a whole! On a side note, this is part of the English AS coursework that counts towards my overall grade, so pointing out any parts that i can change to improve my writing overall are very much appreciated!





No problem :D



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 636
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 pm
View Likes
MarySue wrote a review...



Your descriptions quite good, however I feel like the reader doesn't get to listen in to what the protagonist is thinking often enough. It feels almost a bit mechanical. I think the character needs a bit more emotion, even when it comes to his thoughts, as those are more often than not, the more emotional sides of a person.

Also, I noticed a few fragment sentences, that perhaps could be put together to make a longer one?

Over all this was nicely done though! I enjoyed reading it, and I can't wait to read more from you!





rule #1 of being a potato: potatoes gotta defend their friends from negative self-talk
— Spearmint