z

Young Writers Society



He Loved Me

by KoizoraS


It’s hard. One day, you’re sitting around and it crashes into you – crashes through you. It makes you feel ecstatic; you sit beside the open window, your hands folded on the sill and stare up at the stars, smiling to yourself. “He really did love me.” Euphoria is only a breath away. But then you realize what it is that you’ve lost. The insecurity, the feeling of regaining control over your life, over your feelings, it no longer seems enough. The loss doesn’t cripple you, not anymore, not since you let it cripple you last, all those years ago. But it crashes through you, a barrage of what-ifs and I-wishes, dooming you to a life of doubt. Or at least, that’s what your melodramatic conscience makes you think.

But then, would I have really ever believed that he was hopelessly in love with me then? At that stage, when he’d left, no matter what Sam said or how many times she’d said it, I didn’t believe her. After all, abandonment or the feeling of it at that hormonal stage had debilitated and warped my views so much that I couldn’t believe it. So, would it change anything? Could I change anything? Did I truly lose the shot at true love or was it inevitable? After all, I’m healthy now and he’s all I’ve ever wanted, he possesses every trait I knew The One would have. But he’s not him. That one inexcusable fact makes everything else almost redundant. But is everything else redundant? And although I’m not in love with him, I love him with every cell in my heart. He took my pieces and put them together and although I’m not complete, I am Whole. And I wasn’t Whole for a long time. And I don’t want to waste myself doubting the certainty with which I love him. I know he’s not in love with me either, but then what do I really know after all? I never believed that he loved me then.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1220 Reviews


Points: 72525
Reviews: 1220

Donate
Tue May 15, 2012 2:39 am
Kale wrote a review...



This ended rather abruptly. Combined with the sudden switch from second to first, and the entire piece overall feels disjointed and incomplete.

First- and second-person can work very well together (it's personally a favorite technique of mine to blend the two), but there needs to be a clear reason to use both in the same piece, and balancing between the two can be quite tricky. Right now, I can guess at the reason for using second-person (to get readers to empathize with the narrator), but the balance is off, being tilted too far towards first. There's also the matter of how using second tends to alienate at least some readers.

You could've made this work all in second, or all in first, but I'm really not sure mixing the two is a good idea for this particular piece. There are more consistent ways to generate empathy than using second-person which do not run the risk of alienating your readers, and I would recommend using one of those ways instead.




User avatar


Points: 915
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:59 am
Sammy says...



HAHA. I know who you are. I was just about to post this link on your wall. Then I saw the name. I love you babe.





Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain