Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Politics

Strengths of the U.S. Constitution & Government System

by KnightTeen

A/N: Yes, I know. I haven't posted in forever and now I give you an essay. I have to do fifteen of these for my Gov. class, and this is my week three one. I'm editing the other two. And I'm working, and I have school, and I wanted to post something and had this on hand. But never fear, my inner novelist will return for NaNo.

**********************************************************************************************************

September 17, 1787 is a day that went down in history as the day when the United States Constitution was signed by the delegates of the Constitutional Convention. Admittedly, the document was not officially ratified until nearly two years later, which was due to certain states debating it amongst themselves. But this day marked another step toward the government system that Americans have today. Government free from a monarch. Because this was a completely new concept at the time, many were reluctant to believe that this experiment would last. Despite the doubt the Constitution and the government prevailed, and today they are still going strong due to the checks and balances within the system, the guarantee of individual rights, and the composition of Congress and the government system.

The checks and balances system is one of the most important parts of the Constitution and by extension, the government, since its formation. Because of the checks and balances system each of the three branches are allowed to limit each other, ensuring that no branch becomes too powerful. This is the balance. And the checks system makes sure that no decision within the government is made lightly. While the President can make treaties with other countries, the Senate must approve them. In addition, Congress has the ability to pass laws, which the President can veto (reject) if he does not agree with them. Although if he veto's, Congress can then go back and pass the law without his support. Notably, the members of Supreme Court are nominated by the President and approved by the Senate, but Congress can impeach them from office if they so choose. Concerning other things, the checks and balances system makes sure that the rights of the people are protected by not allowing any one branch of the government to rule over the others completely.

The Constitution protects the individual rights of the people, which is a very important thing. When the Constitution was written, the first ten Amendments made up the Bill of Rights which lists specific limits of governmental power in order to protect individuals from government abuse. Significantly, the 1st Amendment allows people to have freedom of speech, press, and religion, where other nine allow for things such as the right to keep and bear arms (2nd Am.), protection from unreasonable searches (4th), prohibition of excessive punishment and fines (8th), and our natural rights (9th). Interesting enough, these amendments are more or less fully set in stone, because in order to have them changed or added to at least two-thirds of the Senate and the House of Representatives must approve, in addition to three-fourths of the states. Without such agreement, the Constitution must remain as it is. Beyond that, the Constitution notably allows for Congress and the government to be composed the way that it is today. It's an excellent system.

Within the Constitution there are certain sections in Article 1 of the text that refer to exactly how the government and Congress are run. According to this section of the original Constitution, legislative powers were granted to Congress, which was to be divided into the Senate and the House of Representatives. Below that, section two dictates when the Members of the House shall be chosen, by whom, how old a Member should be, how both the Representatives and taxes shall be apportioned, what to do when there is a seat vacancy, and finally ends by stating that the House shall choose their speaker and officers. Where section three focuses on how the Senators can hold office, sections four and five discuss how the Elections shall take place, and who will be the judge of them, as well as how to determine and follow the Rules of Proceedings. The other sections are similar. With such strict rules in place that decree how the government shall be run, there is very little margin for error. That is why the United States has lasted as long as it has, all thanks to the wonderful men who formed our country and scripted laws that still govern us today.

The Founding Fathers knew the Government and the Constitution had to be strong, because of two reasons. One, America was a completely new country that was highly sought after, and two, they wanted her to be around for the coming generations. They wanted her to last. Interestingly enough, she did. For more then two-hundred years America has stubbornly stood and never fallen which is due to the brilliant man who formed her government and wrote her Constitution. Without either of these things, no American would be where we are today. Although determining what would work for the people was difficult, they prevailed. And today in 2013 we have a strong government system all thanks to the checks and balances, our individual rights guarantee, and the composition of both the government and the Constitution.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:04 pm
Messenger wrote a review...

The Messenger Knight here, and after reading Dragon's review I don't have a whole lot to fill this review with. :)
Let me say that the revised first line is a grabber. A date, especially one followed by something going down in history, just interests people. I still see that really long sentence in paragraph one.

Although if he veto's Congress can go back and pass the law without his support.

The president can veto Congress? :) I think a comma is in order.

I really enjoyed this essay. It was very well edited and written, and very clear. I understood everything you said, and think you just did a really good job overall.
Keep it up!

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:56 am
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

My word, poor Knight Teen. Fifteen essays for Government. I wasn't fond of that class, and I had no essays to write. I believe I would have shriveled up and died from all the non-fiction essay writing [that felt really odd, trying to mentally figure out how I wanted to say "something that is not fiction." Non-fiction is a very strange word, and it feels...out of place in my mouth. Long live fantasy!!!]

Ahem.
*regains composure*

Now for the review.
Technical:

"September 17, 1787 is a day that will go down in history..."

Is a day that will, or was a day that went? Proper verb tense, please.

"Admittedly, the document was not officially ratified until nearly two years later, which was due to certain states debating it amongst themselves, but this day marked another step toward the government system that Americans have today. Government free from a monarch."

Long sentence. And then a fragment that could have been hyphenated and avoided the fragment issue (head's up some teachers don't like fragments period, even if they are "style" fragments).

"over two-hundred years later they are still going strong..."

Ambiguous pronoun reference. Please, we don't need any historical fiction zombie apocalypse or vampire novels. :D (Sorry, that's the mental image I got while quoting that sentence)

"... by extension, the government since its' formation."

You need another comma in here somewhere, or else get rid of the existing one.

"ensuring that no branch becomes to powerful."

You misspelled "to". Should be "too".

"the way that it is today. It is a good system."

You were going fine in this paragraph until the last sentence. Then you had that. Please just delete that sentence. It's completely unnecessary.

"the Constitution had too be strong,"

Same spelling error as before, only reversed.

"One, America was a completely new country that was highly sought after, and two, they wanted her to be around for the coming generations."

This sentence has an issue in parallelism. Please fix it.

Hope this helps!

KnightTeen says...

Thanks, I'll get to the edits when I have time.

But as for the fragments, they aren't really fragments. My English teacher (aka, my mother) is teaching me English using a program called, "Excellence in Writing," or something like that. One thing that is required in all of my essays now are what she deems, "proper sentence openers." The fragments are what my textbook calls, VSS (very short sentence) and can only have a max of 5 words. If they weren't there, my grade would have dropped.

I wish you were my teacher. You spotted errors she missed. xD

To answer before listening—that is folly and shame.
— Proverbs 18:13