The Closet: Chapter 1

by KiteRide86

Jamie peered through squinted eyes to look at the clock. 4:30 a.m. and her roommate, Caramia, was already awake and putting on her face. Jamie rolled her eyes and tried to go back to sleep. Classes didn’t start until 7 a.m. and they lived on campus! Jamie rolled over to watch Caramia at work.

First, she turned on the flat iron. Then the make-up process began: foundation, to even out her already perfect skin; mascara, to lengthen flirtatious eyelashes; eye shadow, to accentuate dark eyes like drops of honey; blush, to accent cheekbones; and lipstick, to spice up Angelina Jolie lips. She picked up the flat iron and grabbed a handful of jet black hair. It cracked and popped as it slid between the hot plates. Chemicals sizzled, leaving behind a burnt smell that curled Jamie’s noise.

Jamie could not watch another second of this or she would surely barf. She rolled back over and simmered green. Caramia had a date tonight. Caramia probably had a date for tomorrow night, too. If not, she would soon enough.

Caramia was hot.

Jamie was not.

After Caramia left, Jamie got up. She glanced at the clock which read 6:24. Jamie began her process: deodorant, to smell better throughout the day; hairbrush, to rid her long auburn hair of tangles; and cereal, because she had no money to go to Starbucks and no intentions of becoming anorexic. Next she threw on a pair of jeans and a light yellow t-shirt with a faded rainbow across the front with the caption: “follow the rainbow.”

Jamie grabbed her coat and headed for class.

The leaves danced resplendently in the wind and the flowers were bright with color. Jamie loved the spring, but she loved the summer even more. She was glad it was almost here. As she walked to class she observed the students on the walkways around her. Some she knew and some she didn’t and some were...Keith. She sighed in awe of him, watching his blonde hair dance in the wind. She melted as he stuck his hands into the pockets of his Hollister jeans. As she gathered her nerves to go talk to him, Caramia strode over and kissed him on the cheek. Jamie watched as they locked together, arm in arm. Her jaw dropped and she simmered green, once more.

She followed far behind, watching as every romantic gesture they made twisted her insides a little tighter each time. As They turned into Sophomore English, she went straight into Advanced Literature. She spotted Brenna and Chantal and sat down next to them. Brenna smiled through tufts of black hair which crowded around her porcelain face. Her make-up was light, except for her eye shadow which was meant to play up her emerald eyes. Chantal was playing it cool because on the other side of her was her boyfriend, Randy. Chantal’s chocolate hair was corn-rowed and pulled up into two spiraled nubs.

“Your hair looks really cute, Chantal.” Jamie whispered.

“Thanks,” she whispered back.

Class was very interesting. It was always this way with Jamie, though. Today Miss Hanson lectured on several poems including one of Jamie’s favorites, “Meeting at Night” by Robert Browning. She always wished she had a love like that. A secret love filled with passion and romance. She sighed, laying her head down on the desk.

After class they went to the local coffee shop to discuss their summer plans.

“Randy and I are planning to go to Miami for the summer. Aren’t we, Randy?” Chantal said, patting his thigh.

“That’s right, baby.” He played along, wearing a large grin.

“How about you guys?” Chantal inquired, taking a sip of her mocha shake.

Brenna leaned back in her chair, “I’m going to England to study Literature further.”

Jamie shook her head, “I envy you going to England, but I don’t envy the work you’re going to have. And over the summer!”

“Well what are you doing?” Brenna asked, stirring her latte.

“I’m going home to help my mom. She needs me right now and I haven‘t been there for her.” Jamie replied, watching the foam in her coffee swirl and pop, purposely avoiding eye contact.

“How is she doing?” Brenna asked.

“Better. She’s in remission now, but the doctor’s say it could come back. She stopped Chemo a couple of weeks ago, so she’s still weak. I just want to help get her life back to normal. I want to put this behind us.”

“It’s not your fault, you know?” Chantal condoned, reaching for Jamie’s hands.

“I know,” she looked up at Chantal, “but I still feel bad for leaving her all alone. Ever since dad left it’s been me and her and now…it’s just her.”

Chantal sighed.

Summer came rapidly and Jamie found herself dreading to go home. She wanted to be with her mom, but she didn’t want to see her weak and fragile. Her mom had always been strong and independent, especially after Jack left seven years ago. Jamie felt as if she were in a trance. One minute she was packing her things and the next she was halfway home.

Usually the radio would be on, music pouring through the speakers. Most days she would sing along at the top of her lungs and as bad as she sounded she would sing anyway. Today; however, silence filled the car, as well as Jamie’s mind. She had shoved her thoughts away with her luggage.

As her house came into view she held her breath, hoping that, somehow, when she walked through the front door her mother would be the same as before she left for college two years ago. Pulling into the driveway, Jamie noticed the landscaping was in mint condition. Jamie knew her mother loved to garden, but she thought because of her illness she wouldn’t have the strength to.

Jamie turned off the car instinctively and sat staring blankly ahead. After a few seconds she shook out of her stupor. Once she reached the front door she stopped to examine every crack in the burnt red brick and every leaf on the ivy crawling up the house. Jamie took a deep breath and pushed the doorbell. It seemed heavier than normal.

Then she waited.

Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:11 pm
Dr. Who says...

Pretty much the same as Forseer, everyone already pointed out the spelling and grammar. So, I'd like to say, very good and I cna't wait to read the next chapter! Keep writing!

Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:31 am
Foreseer wrote a review...

Well, I thought this was really good and I loved it. Not much to say since every one else kind of pointed out the spelling and grammar stuff. You got me hooked and I can't wait to the next chapter.

Keep writing :wink:

*Foreseer*

Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:27 pm
Alainna wrote a review...

This was really good and now I'm hooked!!!

I can't really crit much as I didn't find any mistakes and others have already pointed most out........so praise from me!!!

Just be careful with the mum...cancer is a big topic and if you nail it, it will be great.

Off for more,
Alainna
xxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:07 am
Sam wrote a review...

Hey, KiteRide!

This was a really cool story! Usually, I tend to shy away from reading contemporary stuff, because the characters and conflicts often fall flat. I was proven wrong, though- your characters were awesome, and the conflict subdued, but had several layers to it. Very good stuff.

There were a few things I'd look at, though:

PICK A POV AND STICK TO IT:

Using third person omniscent is kind of a trick sometimes, because it's very tempting to go into all sorts of peoples' heads. That gets confusing to the reader, though, so the basic rule of thumb is to pick a POV and stick to it.

Here's where I noticed you went off track a bit:

Chantal sighed, feeling sorrow for her friend.

If you want to write from Chantal's perspective, it's perfectly okay to do alternating chapters from different POVs. However, you need to give the reader a warning- like a chapter or some other break- just to make sure you don't leave anyone behind.

DON'T LEAVE THE OTHER SENSES BEHIND: I remember this was my first ever science lesson- you learn about your surroundings with touch, taste, smell, sound, and sight. This is important in everday life (ergo, blindness is not something you want). It's also invaluable in writing, considering how your readers are naturally deaf and blind to your world. They have no idea what's going on unless you tell them.

Coincidentally, I recently had a roommate at science camp who was absolutely obsessed with making up and straightening her hair. The idea was terrifying to me- the whole process smelled like chemicals and burnt hair, and it took her forty-five minutes to do. Just like Caramia, right?

That's why I was kind of disappointed when you didn't describe the sound or the smell of the process- they're the most horrifying part of it all! If you'd add that in, I think you'd get a cringe or two out of your readers.

___

Again, this was a grand read. Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions or want me to take a look at something else. :D

Night Mistress says...

it sounds interesting! i hope you put up another piece soon.

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:28 am

I love the storyline and I'm already feeling really sorry for Jamie, she seems to have a very hard life. This piece was well written with some good description and believable characters so well done. Just a few suggestions to make...

Some she knew and some she didn’t and some where...Keith. I think you mean some were Keith here. If not, somewhere is one word.

She followed far behind, watching as every romantic gesture they made twist her insides a little tighter each time. I think it needs to be twisted rather than twist but up to you.

Chantal’s chocolate hair was corn-rowed and pulled up into to spiraled nubs. Here I think you meant to say two spiraled nubs but if not, the to should be removed so that it makes sense.

Overall, a very nice piece so keep up the good work.

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:54 am
JC wrote a review...

Then the make-up process began: foundation, to even out her, already perfect, tan skin; mascara, to lengthen flirtatious eyelashes; eye shadow, to accentuate dark eyes like drops of honey; blush, to accent cheekbones; and lipstick, to spice up Angelina Jolie lips.

You don't need a comma there, it's an unnecesarry stop in the sentece =D. But then again, concerning the sentece, it was a bit long and well...gratuitous. It seems like you're using omiscent third person here, which is good, but if Jamie doesn't use makeup or care about it, why would she take the time to explain it's purpose if said purpose is useless in her mind? Just a really really long question is all =D

That was a great ending, by the way. Actually, all of this was really good. I loved how it was put together, your characters are good too.

Seeing as I have nothing else to critique on, good job. Tell my when you post the next section =D Oh, and welcome by the way, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything like that =D

Keep up the good work!
-JC

(P.S- I also have a character named Jamie in a book I'm writing, Philosophy of the Dark [aka POD], and no, that was not advertising =D hehe.)

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri