z

Young Writers Society



Cursed

by KiteRide86


Okay, so I am very amatuer at scriptwriting. Please bear with me. If it's hard to understand just say so. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Youthfullness shines, but scatters

and who, in this world, is forever?

Scene 1

Hikari: I’m home! (bursts through the front door to find her father sad in the kitchen)

Hikari: What’s wrong? (distressed) Ah! Did one of my teachers call you? Am I in trouble?

Daisuke: No

Hikari: (relieved) good, because I thought…

Daisuke: Hisashi, called.

Hikari: (distressed again) What did he want?

Daisuke: He wants you to marry Katsuo.

Hikari: The Swine?!? (disgusted)

Daisuke: Yes, but I told him I would not have you be a pawn in his business affairs. Besides, you are too young to marry.

Hikari: And…

Daisuke: He said we are no longer part of the Sasaki family.

Hikari: What does that mean?!?

Daisuke: It means we must move to the country. He is taking back our house.

Hikari: (sulking)

Daisuke: It won’t be that bad. At least you don’t have to marry Katsuo. Now gather your things, we are leaving tonight.

Hikari: (distressed) But where will we stay on such short notice.

Daisuke: Daichi and Kyoko have offered us their home until we find our own.

Scene 2

Daisuke: Thank you for letting us stay with you for a while. (puts down bags)

Kyoko: It’s no problem. Whatever we can do to help.

Emi: (enters) Where is Hikari? (smiling sweetly)

Daisuke: She is upstairs unpacking her things.

Scene 3

(Hikari unpacking)

Enters Emi

Hikari: Oh, hello, Emi. It’s so nice to see you.

Emi: (smiles) I’m so glad you’re staying with us, Hikari! Now we can play together all the time!

Hikari: (smiles back)

Emi: Why are you staying with us?

Hikari: (distressed)

Scene 4

Daichi: I can’t believe Father would try to arrange Hikari’s marriage?

Daisuke: I know, she’s too young.

Daichi: Especially to that boy, Katsuo.

Daisuke: (sighs)

Daichi: Hisashi is a powerful man. I’d be careful if I were you. He won’t take no for n answer.

Daisuke: I agree, but what should I do?

Scene 5

Hikari: Bye! (exiting house)

[I wonder what father will do now that we don’t have a home? I sure do hope grandfather doesn’t give him any more grief. Ah! But what about Katsuo? I mean I was supposed to marry him and all…]

(turns the corner)

Katsuo: How’s it going? (leaning against a building)

Hikari: (distressed) It’s going good, Katsuo! Everything’s fine! Why do you ask? I mean…

Katsuo: (places his fingers on her lips to quiet her) Shh…I know all about it. (smoothly)

Hikari: You do?!?

Katsuo: (walks beside her) We’re supposed to be married. Lucky you. (leaning in)

Hikari: [Ah! What should I say?]

Katsuo: Your father doesn’t want that to happen. (walking up to the school building girls swoon around him) It’s a shame, really, I mean I know how bad you want me.

Hikari: (shocked and disgusted)

Katsuo: See you around, Kari. (exits)

Hikari: [Kari?] (sighs)

Enters Ayako and Isamu

Ayako: What was that all about?

Hikari: (eyes widen) Uh, nothing!

Isamu: It sure didn’t look like nothing. (teasing her)

Ayako: Our precious Hikari wouldn’t happen to be swooning over the Swine would she?

Hikari: No! No! It’s not like that at all!

Isamu: We know! We’re just messing with you, that’s all. (punches her in the arm)

Hikari: Oh! (relieved)

Ayako: What did he want, anyway?

Hikari: [They’d overreact if they knew the truth. I should probably wait to tell them everything that’s happened] He just wanted to know if we had anything due today.

Ayako: Oh, that’s Katsuo for you.

Isamu: Yeah, he probably didn’t even think about it until this morning.

Ayako: I’m surprised he even cares.

(bell rings)

Hikari: Time for class!

Scene 6

Hikari: I’m home!

Daichi: Welcome home, Hikari. Daisuke has gone out and probably won’t be home until later tonight.

Hikari: Oh! Where did he go?

Daichi: He went to look at houses in the country.

Hikari: Oooo! Well in that case, I hope he finds a cute little cottage on a pretty blue pond where we can live peacefully! We don’t need grandfather’s help, father has a good job! (confidently)

Daichi: Um, Hikari…

Hikari: (fist high in triumph) What?

Daichi: Your father worked for Hisashi.

Hikari: Oh! Wait…worked...as in unemployed?

Daichi: Sadly, yes. I guess I failed to mention that your father is looking for employment, as well as a house.

Hikari: (sulking) It’s all my fault. Maybe I should just marry Katsuo.

Daichi: That is no way to talk! You and your father will be fine. Just give it time. Maybe it will be good for him to get out from under his father’s wing.

Hikari: You’re right!

Scene 7

Daisuke driving through a forested part of the country trying to return to the main road when his car breaks down. Daisuke sighs getting out of the car. He pops the hood, exaggerated smoke comes out. Face is covered with black. Coughs. He walks through the dark forest looking for any sign of life. He sees a light and follows it to an old mansion.

Daisuke: What’s this? (walks to the front door and knocks. No one answers, he opens the door. Surprised he shyly goes in) Hello! Is anyone home? (thinks: It must be abandoned.)

Rain and lightening pour from the sky.

Daisuke: Well it’s a good thing I found shelter before this storm (laughs, scratches head) (thinks: I hope Hikari doesn’t worry)

Scene 8

Hikari: (laying in bed, glances at clock) (thinks: Oh no! It’s already midnight! I hope father found shelter. Ah! What if he got attacked by a wolf or WORSE!)

Scene 9

Daisuke: (waking up, yawns while stretching. Glances over to find a silver plater with food) (thinks: Oh, someone does live here. Oh, well, they are generous.) Why, thank you, kind host. (After meal walks out on the porch and picks a flower from a nearby sakura tree (cherry blossom). (thinks: perfect for hikari!)

Hisoka: (enters) What do you think you are doing? (calmly)

Daisuke: (frightened, drops flower)

Hisoka: Was I not a kind enough host? I gave you shelter, food, and privacy. Do you have to take more than is allotted to you?

Daisuke: Oh, I’m so sorry! (waving arms) I just saw it and it remined me of my daughter. You see I left her at home and she’s probably worried sick and…

[He just had to explain the whole thing]

Hisoka: (rubs chin and grabs him by the shirt) You are coming with me.

Scene 10

Hikari: Why hasn’t he called yet?!?

Daichi: Apparently, he left his phone. (holding up the phone)

Hikari: I am going to hurt him so bad!

(three hours pass)

Hikari: I can’t wait here any longer. I have to go look for him. Where was he going, exactly?

Scene 11

Hikari: (searching through the woods) Father! Daisuke! (stumbles upon the mansion.) I didn’t know this was here. (walks to the front door and knocks. Goes in after no answer. Eventually finds her father locked in a cage) Father!

Daisuke: You must leave! He’ll find you!

Hikari: Who will?

Daisuke: Leave!

Hikari: No, I have to get you out of here.

Hisoka: (enters) I thought you might come.

Hikari: Who are you? Let my father go!

Hisoka: I’m afraid I couldn’t possibly do that. (exaggerated sadness)

Hikari: Take me instead!

Hisoka: Fine. (opens lock and door)

Daisuke: Hikari, don’t do this.

Hikari: Father, go.

Daisuke: (hesitant)

Hikari: Go!

Daisuke: (sulking exits)

Hisoka: I’ll show you to your room.

Hikari: Oh, so I don’t have to sleep in this cage! (sarcastic)

Hisoka: (snaps around) You can if you really want to!

Hikari: (rolls eyes) I’ll take the room.

Hisoka: (opens door)

Hikari: (thinks: It’s so…elegant. How could someone like him live here?)

Hisoka: Dinner is at seven and I expect you to attend.

Hikari: (silent)

Hisoka exits

Hikari: (locks door and plops down on the bed. Thinks: who does he think he is? Taking my father and expecting me to come to dinner with him! I don’t even know his name, much less who he is or where he’s from. Maybe I should go to dinner so I can investigate further.

Scene 12

(Hikari enters dining room)

Hisoka: So you decided to join me. Excellent! Take a seat.

Hikari: (sits at the opposite end of Hisoka)

(silence)

Hikari: So you never told me your name.

Hisoka: Ah…I must apologize for my rudeness. My name is Hisoka Takahashi. And yours?

Hikari: Hikari Sasaki…(silence) How long have you lived here?

Hisoka: My whole life. This house was given to my family a long time ago.

Hikari: So I…noticed that the gardens were a bit…unkempt. When was the last time anyone worked in them?

Hisoka: It has been a while. My mother used to do it. She was always sweating over them. They used to be lovely…

Hikari: What happened? (cautiously)

Hisoka: She and my father died a long time ago.

Hikari: My mother died when I was three.

Hisoka: That must have been hard…growing up without a mother. Mine died when I was…

Hikari: What?

Hisoka: Nothing, I…excuse me. (gets up and leaves)

Hikari: (taken aback. Sits in silence for a few moments considers whether or not to leave or stay)

Scene 13

Hikari: (starts out the front door w/ backpack on)

Hisoka: (stands in the shadow of the door) Where do you think you are going? Have you forgotten already?

Hikari: No, and I’m going to school.

Hisoka: How do I know that you will come back?

Hikari: You don’t, but if I don’t go to school people will get suspicious and eventually come looking for me.

Hisoka: So, we have a problem, don’t we?

Hikari: No, you have a problem. If I leave I may not come back, but if I stay people will notice.

Hisoka: What should I do?

Hikari: You should trust me.

Scene 14

Hikari: (at locker)

(enters Isamu)

Hikari: Hey, Isamu.

Isamu: Hey. Are you ready for our history test today?

Hikari: (distressed) We have a test today?!?

Isamu: Yeah, you didn’t know? Well, don’t worry you can cram during lunch.

Scene 15

Hikari: (studying in library. Flips through the book, notices a castle that looks like Hisoka’s. Stops to read further. Under the picture a short sentence read: the famous Inaka House was built around 800 AD for Emperor Kanmu’s daughter Hitomi Takahashi. Thinks: that’s He must be related to Emperor Kanmu! Gets out cell phone and dials.)

Daisuke: Hello.

Hikari: Father, it’s Hikari.

Daisuke: Hikari! Are you alright? Has he hurt you? I was going to come back for you, but I thought he might do something rash.

Hikari: No, don’t. I…want to stay.

Daisuke: What?

Hikari: I don’t expect you to understand, just know that he’s not as dangerous as you think.

Daisuke: How do you know that? You’ve only been with him a day. Surely you do not know what he is capable.

Hikari: Just trust me…okay?

Daisuke: …okay, but call me if you feel uneasy.

Hikari: I will.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
565 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 565

Donate
Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:34 pm
Stori wrote a review...



Gosh, another Kyte! Hi!

Down to business. It's short, too short. Yes, it's manga, but still.

And maybe: (sarcastic) It's great! It's all fine! or something like that. "Distressed" is over used. And it doesn't fit.

Pace! It's no good without setting! Slow down and describe it. Draw us a picture.




User avatar
3821 Reviews


Points: 3891
Reviews: 3821

Donate
Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:47 am
Snoink wrote a review...



I like your dialogue. A lot. The conflict really comes out and I feel sorry for Hikari. But, while this is a lovely story, I don't think the play format is doing it justice. I think, it you put it in a different form, it would stand out much better. For instance, if I were you, I would hook up with someone who likes to draw anime here (we have a couple of good anime artists) and just team up and create a comic. It might be fun!

But yeah. Good stuff. :D





As a writer, I'm more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened.
— Kazuo Ishiguro