z

Young Writers Society



Mindset

by Kinla


~Mind Set~

(6 Students are sitting, facing the audience. There are 6 desks altogether; 2 rows, 3 facing the audience, another 3 behind. The students are all wearing sweaters and scarves. Every student is behaving differently, some nervous, some bored. The teacher is walking around to each desk, handing out test scores. He comes to the middle desk in the front row, puts the test score on the desk and looks to the student with sad eyes.)

Teacher: “Well Natasha… What can I say? Looks to me like you never even opened your book... this is what, the third time in a row? Honestly Natasha, I wish you would study.” (Teacher walks off to the next desk.)

(Stage spotlight centers on Natasha, leaving everyone else in darkness. She, out of all the students, seems to be acting the most nervous, fidgeting every now and again, her eyes darting around the room. Her right leg bounces up and down violently beneath the desk. Natasha picks up the test, looks at it, and begins to breathe heavily, holding back tears.)

Natasha: “But… I did study…” (Upset voice)

(Seemingly normal girl enters, second spotlight follows the girl. Nobody notices the other girl. The other girl is wearing the same clothes as Natasha.)

Other girl: “Oh please Natasha, you may have studied, but you’re as thick as a rock. You seriously expected to do well?”

(The teacher finishes handing out the test scores. He then walks to the front of the classroom and starts to quietly talk in a “wha wha” (from Charlie Brown) voice. Natasha rests her head on her hand, keeping her eyes fixed to the test scores, scrunching her fingers through her hair.)

Natasha: “Shut –up, Tasha… It’s your fault that I keep failing! ”

(Tasha grins wickedly. She walks back and forth continuously, scrutinizing Natasha.)

Tasha: “Heh, no wonder your dad got in that accident; he probably couldn’t stand how dumb his own daughter was. He probably tried to die.”

(Natasha drops the test scores, now putting both hands intertwined into her hair. Tears stream down her face.)

Natasha: “Go away… please…” (Begging voice)

Tasha: “Nope. Not going to work.”

Natasha: “Why!!”

(A new voice comes over the speakers, a man’s voice. Tasha mouths the words as they are said)

Tasha/ father: “Natasha…I’m here…”

(Natasha looks up, startled)

Natasha: “Daddy?” (Far off voice, as though remembering something.)

(Tasha laughs evilly. The voice of her father is gone.)

Tasha: “Ha-ha!! You actually thought your dad was back? Well, hate to burst your bubble, but he’s gone.”

(Natasha closes her eyes and breathes in and out heavily, as though she’s pushing back sobs.)

Natasha: “You’re not real…this is all made up… it’s just me in my head….”

Tasha: “If I’m not real, then how come you can’t get rid of me?” (Grins)

Natasha: “I… I don’t know… you’ve been here ever since… ever since he died…”

Tasha: “Well… what if I’m here because you want me? Because you need me?”

Natasha: “You’re NOT real…”

Tasha: “You’re the one who isn’t real…”

(Natasha puts her head back into her hands.)

Tasha: “Awe… little Natasha gonna cry? Need a little hug?” (Teasing voice)

(Tasha walks over to Natasha and attempts to hug her.)

(Suddenly the spotlight on Tasha disappears; turning the lighting from just Natasha and Tasha, to the classroom setting again. Natasha tries to whack Tasha with her hand, but misses. Some of the students around her notice the odd movements, and look at Natasha inquisitively. The teacher walks over to Natasha and looks at her.)

Teacher: “Natasha?” (He looks at Natasha, confused.)

(Spot lights change again, back to just Natasha and Tasha. Tasha walks behind Natasha, placing her hands on her shoulders, talking into her ear)

Tasha: “You see, idiot, they can’t see me, they can’t hear me. You’re ‘special.’”

(The lights switch back to the classroom. Natasha places her hands on Tasha’s face. She forces Tasha to move her mouth. Both Natasha and Tasha speak.)

Natasha/Tasha: “Nothing…”

(The teacher sighs and walks back to the front of the room, and begins the background “wha wha” voice again. The spot light goes back to just Natasha and Tasha. Tasha laughs and walks away from Natasha.)

Tasha: “Silly little Natasha…”

Natasha: “What do you want from me?!?! Just tell me what I need to do to get rid of you!”

(Tasha laughs)

Tasha: “Don’t be a fool, there’s nothing you can do. I’ll always be here, haunting you. You’re the one who conjured me up when daddy died. You deserve me.”

Natasha: “Why are you doing this?!?!”

Tasha: “Like I said; because I can…Because you NEED me…”

Natasha: “What?!? I hate you! I loathe you! Why would I need you?”

Tasha: “Because, I’m you…”

Natasha: “You’re not me…I’m me…I won’t let you control me! I won’t let you torment me anymore! I won’t let you take over my life!”

Tasha: “Oh yea? We’ll have to see about that, won’t we Natasha?”

(Tasha walks over to Natasha. Quickly, she tries to touch Natasha. Lights switch back to the classroom; Natasha practically falls out of her chair trying to avoid Tasha. The teacher looks up, even more confused.)

Teacher: “Natasha?? Are you o-”

Natasha: “GET AWAY FROM ME!!!”

Teacher: “Natasha?!?!”

(Natasha looks around the room, everyone is staring at her. Quickly, she scrambles up onto her feet and runs for the door, but Tasha reaches the door first. Natasha slowly backs away from the door. The Teacher runs over, and grabs Natasha’s arm. All of the students look shocked and confused.)

Teacher: “Natasha! Calm down!”

(Tasha begins to scream, twisting away from his grasp. He lets go of her arm. She runs straight for the door, where at which point, Natasha side steps, allowing Natasha to run through the door. Natasha exits. The teacher follows. Teacher exits. )

Teacher: “Natasha!!!”

(Spot light goes back to just Tasha. She smiles, turning to the audience, shaking her head. Natasha follows after Tasha. Lights fade, dimming the stage. While the lights are dimmed, all people other than Natasha and Teacher exit. Natasha removes her sweater and scarf, now wearing a thin T-shirt. A woman enters, and three chairs are set up, two facing the audience, one facing the two chairs. Natasha and the woman sit in the two facing the audience. The teacher sits in the third chair. Lights come back on.

Teacher: “Mrs. Ahrens, Natasha, thanks for coming, I know it’s been a hectic 5 months for you.”

Mrs. Ahrens: “Yes, its been quite a struggle, but I think Natasha is finally starting to get better. Don’t you think?”

(Natasha smiles)

Teacher: “I agree, I mean, just look at her smile, she wouldn’t have done that before.

(Natasha looks down, as though embarrassed)

Natasha: Yea, well my therapist has been helping me a lot; she’s helping me to learn to ignore “Tasha”.

Teacher: “Well even I understand what it’s like to lose a loved one…In any case; I think that we’ve all agreed that a transfer in schools is the best choice.

(Natasha looks down)

(Everyone nods slowly)

Mrs. Ahrens: “Yes, a new school should do wonders for Natasha, don’t you think dear?”

(Natasha looks up, her face unsure)

Natasha: “Yea, I mean, Tasha doesn’t have the same control over me that she did before…I mean, it’s starting to get better…I mean…”

(Suddenly both the teacher and Mrs. Ahrens start to do the background wah wah voice. Spot lights center in on just Natasha. A second spot light follows Tasha as she enters. Natasha looks at her, frightened.)

Tasha: “Silly… silly little Tasha…”

(Lights fade to total darkness)

~End~


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 7577
Reviews: 126

Donate
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:37 pm
Vasticity wrote a review...



Nice job! You have a very absorbing and original plot. I actually think it would do well as a movie, to be honest. And I do agree with Napalmerski on the lights and set thing, and with Irish on the Tasha and Natasha thing. You add subtle nuances into your script such as Natasha and Tasha. Nice touch. Good spelling, you use punctuation, so... I don't see anything really wrong other than those two things. :D




User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 117

Donate
Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:06 am
napalmerski wrote a review...



Yo,
lovely plot. Just to point out, that you don't have to describe who undresses what and how the stage is changed during lights out, what you have to desribe is how things look when the lights are back on.
The ending was rather weak from my point of view. The high point, the climax of the play in my eyes was when Tasha forced Natasha to speak with hands on her face. I could see it. Beauiful.
...If you are going to end it like that, may I suggest doing the 'puppet' show again? Like Tasha appearing and making Natasha say something like 'oh yes,I am quite better now.'
Hihi, anyway, great idea, pleasant to read, probably pleasant to see acted out.




User avatar
150 Reviews


Points: 14032
Reviews: 150

Donate
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:03 am
irishfire wrote a review...



Hey there!! Irish here! :wink:

I really liked the plot here! It was really dramatic and emotional and unique :D Bravo my fellow thespian!

One thing I feel inclined to mention however is that, in several spots you confused Natasha and Tasha. Lol, its a pretty easy mistake to make but it confuses the reader so just be careful to check for those, and even if you do make them, they're wicked easy to fix :smt003

Hope I was able to help some!!

Keep up the awesome work!
-Irish :elephant:





Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird