Memoirs of a Broken Guard: Part 2

by Keumgan

"Security guards may not interact with children below the age of 12. Should a child touch an artwork, politely ask their parent or guardian to pay attention that it does not happen again. Report any visitor contacts to the control room."

Two months ago, I became a security guard. I was hired to work at a football stadium. When they found out that I speak French, they sent me to an art museum instead. "How fancy!" I thought. I felt a little important, being bilingual and all. It's a very important skill since we're in the capital. 

10:03

The first room in Gallery E contains the oldest paintings in the exhibit, going back as early as 1400. Large paintings that used to hang in old churches and cathedrals now populate room E1. But that's not what caught my attention. I've been here enough times that it's become a little too old. I walk into the side room,  knowing that it is about to start. There is a rectangular balcony that connects all the side rooms from E1 to E18. You can see a lovely garden below, inside Gallery A. I stared at the yellow and violet flowers that were neatly planted in symmetrical rows, and counted the seconds.

3. 2. 1. I hear the first voice. Then the second. Then the entire choir sings Spem in Alium, filling the garden court with harmonic chanting. The music gently rises up through the balcony and I literally breathe in the melody. The notes slowly enter my body from the bottom and walk their way up to my ears, right into my neurons. It sounds like life! Life is inside this chapel I have yet to visit. Where is this chapel they keep telling me about? Hidden somewhere in the garden court. I have been working here for 2 months and I have yet to be posted in the one rotation that contains this music I long to hear up close. All I get for now is distant echoes. Every. Single. Day. What can I say, I'm a musician. Where there's a musician, there must be music, and vice versa.  

10:10

"It's really loud, isn't it?" 

I almost jumped. A guard is standing behind me, looking a little annoyed. I hadn't noticed it was time for my break. 

"I'm glad it's loud. That way I can actually hear it." I say with a bit of hesitation. He doesn't seem too friendly.

"You like it? Nobody does. Well, except for that one guard, Giovanni. He once told the site manager that he enjoyed being in the chapel because he thought the music sounded like heaven. Ever since then, he never gets posted there." 

"Why not?" I ask in disbelief.

"Because the site manager doesn't like it if we're enjoying our job." He extends his hand, waiting for me to give him the key to E1. 

"That makes no sense!" I hand him the key, my eyes squinting as I bite my lower lip.

"Just don't tell him you hate a certain gallery. He'll put you there till the end of time." The guard walks away with a smirk on his face. 

Unreal. Was he telling the truth?! 

Whatever. It's not like I ever talk to the site manager, apart from discussing what shifts are available. Or when he calls me at 8:00 on almost every day off I have, because there are certain guards who don't feel the need to show up to their scheduled shifts. I wonder how that works. All I know is, I get called to come replace these guards. And if I refuse, apparently the site manager will stop giving me shifts as he will see me as "unavailable". So I always say yes. Who needs a day off anyway?

2 months, 2 weeks.

11:15

We have an interesting piece of art in E16. A large, black sculpture that looks like a bunch of over-sized tree leaves hanging by little chains. It dangles from the ceiling in the middle of the room, in a location where it is conveniently accessible for any visitor to touch. Here's the catch: it moves. Although it has an actual name, we affectionately refer to it as "the mobile". Visitors enjoy poking the mobile. That's okay, I guess. It's not allowed, but it's not a big deal. But there is a special breed of visitors. The kind of people who enjoy running around the mobile very quickly in order to make it spin (and it works). Then there are the best type of visitors. They innocently approach this irresistible piece of art, bring their face as close as possible to one of the leaves until their nose almost touches it. And then they blow. A large piece of black metal. They think blowing at it will make it spin. Have you seen the size of that thing? All they ever manage is a tiny spit.

"E16 to control." I call on my radio, with clear exasperation in my voice.

"Go ahead for control!" Says a perky voice. Yeah you can be perky if you're hiding behind your little screens while we stand in the gallery like meaningless statues.

"A visitor just spat at the mobile."

"Is there any visible damage?"

"Negative." As if I'd know whether or not a few drops of saliva would damage metal. Or iron. Or whatever the hell this thing is made of.

"10-4!" Says the control room operator, acknowledging my report. And I move on with my life. Or I think I do. 

12:03

My break will soon come. My break will soon come. My break will soon...HEY! What's this lady doing?! I speed-walk toward the mobile and approach an old lady who's a little too close to the artwork. Prevention is the way to go, as far as I'm concerned. 

"Excuse me ma'am..."

She cuts me off before I can say anything. 

"Oh hello there! Are we allowed to touch this?" She says, ever so carefree.

"Unfortunately that's not al..."

POKE. 

Did she seriously just touch it? I resist the urge to slap my forehead. However, I am unable to control the expression on my face, because clearly the lady just noticed I'm about to hang myself from the mobile.

"Oh, were you about to say we can't touch it?" She is still smiling. I'm going to kill myself.

"Ma'am, touching artwork may cause damage. I'm sorry, but it is not permitted."

"Oh no! Am I trouble?"

Classic. I feel like saying yes. I wish I had a pair of plastic handcuffs just to troll naughty visitors and scare them. But I'm professional.

"No ma'am, just avoid getting too close to any artwork and you should be fine. Have a lovely day." I fake a smile, give her a polite nod and walk away. In my head, I scream "HUMANS!" And my break finally arrives.

RavenBlack wrote a review...

Guess who's back, back again? RavenBlack's back, tell a friend. (I'll stop now :-D)

Great piece again, was really interesting to see interactions between the visitors and yourself and other parts of the gallery. Gave me more of an perspective to the character's job.

Let's start with the positives.
- Once again great description! I particular love the description of the music in the chapel: "breathe in the melody" and "notes slowly enter my body" illustrated this sense of peace that I could feel even through words! That's skill!

-I'm glad humor was added in this time, made it more enjoyable to read! It was really funny when the old lady touched the artwork even though you said you couldn't :-D

Negatives :-(
- In the last piece you said that the guard was 'broken' and it's even part of your title. Yet nothing has really happened or been mentioned that conveys this...

- Now there's nothing wrong with a story describing someone's life but added so excitement to it, some adventure. It seems like nothing interesting is happening to pull my attention.

Keep Writing xx

Ah, customers. The worker's bread and butter and also the bane of our existence.

ANYWAY.

I don't have any suggestions for improvement today, so instead I'm going to tell you what I think you're doing well.

1. Description. We got a good sense of the art gallery, the customers, and even the art itself, but the description doesn't overwhelm the story or bog things down. Since it's an art gallery, you easily could've focused solely on what the MC sees, but you even brought sound into it! I particularly liked this bit.

There is a rectangular balcony that connects all the side rooms from E1 to E18. You can see a lovely garden below, inside Gallery A. I stared at the yellow and violet flowers that were neatly planted in symmetrical rows, and counted the seconds.

3. 2. 1. I hear the first voice. Then the second. Then the entire choir sings Spem in Alium, filling the garden court with harmonic chanting.

2. Characterization. Okay, so I don't know the MC's name yet. But s/he was very relateable (and not only because of their general annoyance with the patrons). I like how serious thoughts are sprinkled with more humorous thoughts like this.

"How fancy!" I thought. I felt a little important, being bilingual and all.

It's part of what made the story so fun to read. I like when a character can kind of poke fun at themselves or their thoughts.

3. Pacing/general. This was an easy, enjoyable read and felt like it flowed naturally from one topic or incident to another. I also like how you broke the chapters into scenes using the time, which felt appropriate for a story about a security guard.

Write on!
BlueAfrica

Keumgan says...

Thanks for the review! The gender of the MC is in part 1. Funny story, you just made me realize that I have not mentioned the name of the MC. Mainly because it's me. These are all true events that happened at work. I changed the names of the guards I've mentioned so far, which probably means I will not be using my own name. What to do lol

BluesClues says...

The funny thing is that I didn't mind too much that the MC wasn't named. It wouldn't be the first time, and anyway I think that's less awkward in a story where the MC is a first-person narrator!

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)