Memoirs of a Broken Guard: Part 1

by Keumgan

"All security guards are to be fully dressed in their uniform before they can receive their equipment. Please ensure you are on post at least 5 minutes before the start of your shift. Use your radio to inform your supervisor that you are on-duty." 

Day 1.

Uniform. Check.

Hair pulled back. Check.

I turn on my radio and hang it onto my belt.

I'm a female, yet I am wearing a not-so-fancy black tie and a very manly uniform. Our pants are apparently "unisex", except they provide this awkward space for an organ I do not possess. As if my parents didn't need any extra reasons to be bothered by how much of a tomboy I am. Why security? I suppose I've always had this penchant toward helping others. I wish I were a superhero with a flashy red cape, so I could fly over the corrupt cities of this planet and rid the world of evil. But that's not happening, so security will have to do.  

09:45 

I walk over to a medium-sized lobby where Roll Call is to be held. Four benches form a square in the middle of the lobby. About a dozen old men wearing the same uniform as mine are seated on the benches, looking grim, and chit-chatting about random things. The few younger guards, including myself, just choose random spots to stand in. Two supervisors walk in, followed by the site manager. Roll call begins. Everyone is here. Everyone has their equipment. Instructions are given and relevant information is relayed. Off to the galleries we go. I work in an art museum. It is my job to protect some seriously expensive art, apparently. I've never really had an interest in art, but hey, let's see how my first day on the job goes. 

17:00

Gallery closing. An older guard begins the lockup procedures and I have no clue what to do. He shows me how we have to "sweep" the galleries in order to usher the visitors out, and how we have to check all the emergency exits to ensure they're secure. After we're done, he asks me how my first day on the job was.

"It was great! I love being a security guard!" I say with a smile.

"You'll be hating this job soon enough." He says with a shrug. He walks away, leaving me a little baffled. You'd think a senior guard would give encouraging words of wisdom to the new hire. I hate him already. 

Three weeks later.

I am now a "pro" at this job. All I have to do is patrol the rooms I'm assigned to, make sure nobody touches the art, and greet visitors with a smile or answer their questions and give them directions. I finally learn the name of the old guard who informed me of how I will soon hate my job (which I don't, by the way). Liam Langston. A befitting name for an old grouch!  

10:30

My supervisor walks in on his regular gallery patrol. He has three bars on his epaulets. That's the first time I notice these bars. That's also the first time I catch myself wanting to have three bars as well. 

"You've only been here for three weeks. Get real." I think to myself. He gives me an authoritative nod and walks away. I snap myself back to reality and get back to pacing around my territory, throwing quick glances in every direction to ensure nothing weird is going on. I've become interested in art, all of a sudden. I now enjoy walking around the galleries and contemplating the art while on duty, especially when we're not full to the brim with visitors. I've been reading all about those paintings that I have to protect. They're quite beautiful. I'm so lucky to be working here!

2 months on the job.

I have been showing up to work 6 out of 7 days a week. I'm starting to get used to the feeling of numbness in my legs toward the end of the day. The older guards seem unphased by the fact that they have to stand in the same spot all day. I'm not sure how I feel about it just yet. In fact, I'm not sure how I feel about my job altogether.

14:00

I am counting the seconds on my watch. How long until my next break? 37 minutes and 15 seconds. I pace for what feels like an eternity. I bet 10 minutes have already passed so I look at my watch, full of hope...It's still 14:05?! HOW? I'm beginning to feel like grouchy old Langston may have been telling the truth. No. I refuse to believe it. I'm not like him. I'm not like the other guards. Most of them are grim, hopeless, bored. Numb. It's like there's no real human to talk to. They've been doing this for years. Why am I here? To have a job while I'm still in college, studying the career I actually do want to have. To pay my bills. To get experience. But not to stay for years.

I'm so bored. I pull up a small notebook and start scribbling. On the first page, I write "Memoirs of a broken guard". Because I'm broken, right? Normal guards just come to work, stand like they're frozen in time for hours. And then they just leave. But me? I have a different agenda. I behave differently. They look at me like I'm some foreign entity that makes no sense. Yep, I am definitely broken.

Silberfee wrote a review...

Hi,

I liked the format, it was an interesting choice to write a paragraph for each time (later I thought it was fitting for the job of the protagonist as a security guard as I can imagine them checking the time each second/minute/hour). The use of slow rhythm and detail in the beginning is very good as well, I can relate and picture how the protagnist feels about making a good first impression on her first day at work.

I have a few minor comments to make:

the word 'hate' here is a bit extreme and the narrator seems mature enough to not judge a person based on a comment made about the job ...i think the word hate is a bit too extreme for this context.

I thought in these two (pivotal ) moments in the story you could go into more depth:

I now enjoy walking around the galleries and contemplating the art while on duty, especially when we're not full to the brim with visitors. I've been reading all about those paintings that I have to protect. They're quite beautiful. I'm so lucky to be working here!
what is beautiful about the paintings? you don't need to go into depth about it I just want to know what is it about them that catches the protagnist's eye (is it the detail, the realism the theme???

2 months on the job.

14:00

I am counting the seconds on my watch. How long until my next break? 37 minutes and 15 seconds. I pace for what feels like an eternity.

I think that the point when the protagnist started the job to the point in time two months later went to quickly, there must have been a thought process there whereby the protagnist began to accept certain truths about the job before coming to a full acceptance that the job is actually boring .

Anyway keep writing! I have wondered what security guards think and feel becasue they seem to have nothing to do most of the time ! : P

Keumgan says...

Thanks for the review! You will find that I'm a very sensitive person. I tend to feel emotions in am extreme manner, which is why I used "hate". And that's quite literally what the guy actually told me, so I wrote it as is. You're right about the quick part. This is two years ago. I don't remember full details of every single day :P

RavenBlack wrote a review...

Hey Raven Black here!

This was an interesting read, never read this style of a short story before, which was refreshing.

Positives:
- Great choice of style - I think the 1st person perspective is excellent and allowed me to get to know the character more and to relate to them. Also the 'times' was an excellent choice too, made me feel like I was there in a sense, waiting for the time to go passed. I could feel her boredom.

- The character being a tomboy was a positive for me because I'm a tomboy and there isn't a lot of female characters in books in who are tomboys (sorry for the excessive use of 'tomboy' :-P). This made me really happy.

- Excellent description, easy to visualize the surroundings and the character. Plus, you used a variety of techniques which were used correctly.

Negatives:
- The only criticism I'd say is that I wanted more, like for something to happen because the title made it seem like you wrote this memoir to preserve a secret, which intrigued me. I thought Liam Langston was going to be the 'cruel boss' or he was hiding a dark secret, working with a criminal organisation. But nothing happened.

Other than that great piece. :-D

Keep Writing xx

Keumgan says...

Thanks for the review! More is coming. This is just the beginning. In the upcoming parts, I will start describing different situations I faced as a guard. The character is in fact none other than me. I was planning to write this when I started two years ago. Better late than never!

RavenBlack says...

Thanks for the clear up. Yeah it's better to write now when its all in your head :-)

Keumgan says...

Part 2 is up!

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte