z

Young Writers Society


12+

The Selection Series

by KemstarPotatothe3rd


I have recently finished the third book of the selection series and it was great. I was cautious to start the first book of the seris because it looks like more of a "princess" book if you will, but I am so happy that I took the offer to read it. If you do not already know what it is about here is a short summary (ps no spoilers:):

It about a girl named America Singer who lives in a world where there are these things called castes. This castes ditermine how much money you have and your rank in society. America is a 5 caste, that is pretty low. But, the Prince that is a 1, has a thing called a slection, that takes a group of girls from random castes and puts them in a competition to become his bride and the next queen. America gets picked, to her demise and has to go in the selection even though she loves Aspen a boy from her caste. She is torn between them and doesnt know who she'll pick.

Sorry if this is sloppy, its my first review :)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Fri May 05, 2017 9:51 am
View Likes
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review!

So I agree that this could be placed better, such as the Media Reviews forum where you can talk with other people about it and summarize it there, or even review it or critique it yourself! But that's nothing to worry about, since literary works can be virtually anything. Onto the review of your review, I would have liked to see it a bit more fleshed out or organized? You call it a review of the series, but it's more of a summary, since there isn't a hint of your opinion here except for in the beginning where you say that it's great.

That's great that you think it's great, but why is it great? I want to hear you explain that, and critique it, because we're not getting anything new if we're just listening to you summarize it. That's what the flaps on hardcovers and the backs on paperbacks. Even online, we could find that somewhere, but what we can't find is your specific opinion, which should be seen as important in this, since you want to 'review' it, that part for me didn't make too much sense.

I'd like to hear explaining on what you mean by 'review'. Go for a neater structure, perhaps one that you end up sticking to and you fill in from there where you summarize the media and then tell us why it's good or bad, all without giving the spoilers away? This should be more akin to that idea.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Image

This review courtesy of
Image




User avatar
377 Reviews


Points: 119
Reviews: 377

Donate
Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 pm
View Likes
Snazzy wrote a review...



Hi Kemstar! (A belated welcome to YWS!)

So this is actually posted as a literary work; people give you feedback/criticism on it in the form of a review. (No worries!) To review, you go to someone else's work (I check the Green Room first) and then reply as a review (after reading and writing the review). Anyway, since you did go ahead and post your kind of synopsis, I will try and give you some feedback on what your novel is about as a whole!

Okay, so the love triangle seems pretty straight-forward and a little bland. If I were in your shoes, I would make her despise the Prince for some reason (maybe the Prince is a jerk, or there's some really intricate history between her and the Prince). Maybe she loses on purpose? Just a thought! I just don't want to see this turn out like another Hunger Games love trilogy. ;)

I like the idea of a literal caste system; maybe you could elaborate more? Some questions to ask yourself could be "how are lower castes treated?", or "do lower and higher castes intermingle, or is that forbidden?". Also, "who created the caste system in the first place, and why?".

Also, just as a general comment, I would make sure to make each of your characters really distinct and even abnormal. Kind of along the lines of the love triangle thing, make your characters break that mold of being a "Mary Sue".

Anyway, the idea sounds interesting! I wish you luck on editing/writing your novel(s)! :D If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! I'll do my best to answer!

~Snazzy





cron
The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard