z

Young Writers Society



Finding You, part 3

by Kelsi222


Hey everyone, here is part 3! Enjoy and please review!!! Thanks!

Sam woke up early that next morning and hopped into a hot shower. He did not sleep much the night before because of what Maria had told him the previous day. He knew Colby was going to have a million questions, and honestly, he was ready to kill Colby for what he had done to Maria. He wanted to tell Colby how Maria felt about him, but he promised he wouldn’t. So it would just have to be business as normal at the bureau.

He arrived at the very tall glass building in his black mustang. He climbed out and noticed Colby a few feet ahead of him walking into the building. He still wanted to shot him in the back of his head, but that may not go over well with the director, so he decided against it.

When Colby entered the building, he noticed Sam following him inside. He was happy to see his best friend, but when he saw his face, he had a feeling Maria had told me everything.

“Sam?” Colby asked quietly.

“What?” Sam asked glaring at him.

“How is she?” Colby asked looking down at the ground.

“Why the hell do you care Smith?” He couldn’t help it, he had to let it rip. “She was so god damn in love with you it isn’t fit. You broke her heart into million pieces. You treated her like shit, and she loved you, and still loves you!” Sam was yelling at Colby now and people were starting at the pair. Sam grabbed Colby roughly and dragged him outside. “Are you going to say anything or just stand there?”

“Sam, I didn’t mean to hurt her that bad and..” He was cut of by more of Sam’s yelling.

“Damn it Colby, you didn’t mean hurt her? What the hell did you think you were doing? She thought you were dead! She mourned your death!” Sam continued to yell.

“Is her daughter mine?” Colby asked, that’s all he could muster out. Sam looked at him in disgusted.

“If Lily was yours, I would have killed you by now.” Sam said back to him.

“Is there any way I can talk to her? Sam please, I just really need to speak to her, and explain myself.” Colby asked.

“If she wants to see you, you can. I am not going to forbid you to see her.” Sam got up in his face now. “But if you hurt her again, I swear to god it will be the last thing you do. Got it?” Sam threatened. Colby just nodded and walked back into the building.

Inside, a co-worker stopped Colby and asked him what was going on between him and Sam.

“It was nothing Corey, but leave it.” Colby replied and pushed passed him into his cubical.

“Okay then.” Corey said sitting down on the opposite side and began working on his paperwork.

When Sam arrived back into the building he went inside his office and decided to call Maria.

“Hey girly, its Sam. What are you doing?”

“Nothing much Sam just hanging out with Anna at your dads. He and Max took Lily out to get ice cream.” Maria replied back.

“Oh I see. Listen, you might hate me for this, but could you promise you won’t?” Sam asked.

“I could never hate you Sam. What’s up?”

“Okay, well when I was coming into work Colby was too. And he asked me how you were, and I just lost it. I said how much you loved him. I’m really sorry, but I wanted to make him feel guilty for what he had done. I so sorry Maria.” Sam said letting out a breath.

Tears started to well in her eyes as Anna took her hand and mouthed, “What’s wrong?” Maria just shook her head and squeezed Anna’s hand.

“What did he say Sam?” Sam sighed.

“He wants to see you. I told him he would have to ask you.” Sam said. Maria sniffled and Sam could tell she was. “Maria, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you cry.”

“No Sam, it’s okay. Listen, I do want to see Colby, tell him okay?” Maria said back, not believing what she had just said. She looked up at Anna, who looked just as shocked.

“Okay Maria. Do you want me to tell him to call you? Or what?”

“No, tell him I’ll meet him at the park. What time will he be off?” She asked.

“I can let him go in 30 minutes, if you want.”

“Perfect, Sam thank you so much! Bye.”

“Bye” Sam replied as he hung up. “Colby!” He yelled out.

“Yeah?” He asked.

“She wants to see you at the park down the road from my house, now, so go! And remember what I said if you hurt her!”

“Yes Sam, thanks.” And Colby was gone.

“Your going to go meet him?” Anna exclaimed.

“Yeah Anna, I have to. I finally have my chance to get some answers, and I am taking it.” Anna nodded her head in understanding.

“Okay, well good luck! And you look great!” Anna always had a fashion thing.

“Thanks and thanks. Tell Max and Alan where I am if they come okay?”

“No problem! Bye.”

“Bye Anna.”

When Maria arrived at the park there was nobody there. She sat on the rubber swing and rocked herself gently playing with sand that was at her feet. She did not notice him until he sat in the swing next to her.

She hasn’t changed a bit, he thought to himself. “Hi Maria” he said.

She shut her eyes and took in a deep breath as she looked back up at him. “Hi Colby.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 198 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 49

Donate
Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Kelsi222 says...



Thank you so much!! I will work on all of the things you pointed out for me!




User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 1040
Reviews: 174

Donate
Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:59 pm
lucyy wrote a review...



Heyy there, I've decided to review your piece as it seems a little lonely at the moment (: . I can see that this is the third chapter so I may ask some really stupid questions, if I do, just ignore me :wink: . All my comments or edits will be in bold and I will go through my review with you at the end. I really hope this helps you out =D

Kelsi222 wrote:Sam woke up early the next morning and hopped into a hot shower. He [s]did not[/s] hadn't slept much the night before because of what Maria had told him the previous day [so I'm guessing that Maria has told him something really big, and you've said that because of it Sam couldn't sleep. Maybe you could describe why he couldn't, what was it about it that kept him awake all night. For example (this is just hypothetically) say that Maria told Sam she was cheating on him with his best friend (let's call him Barney). So maybe last night he couldn't rid himself of the pictures he was conjuring up of the two of them together holding hands, laughing, kissing, etc. Do you get what I mean now - hopefully that should give you a head start (: ]. He knew Colby was going to have a million questions, and honestly, he was ready to kill Colby for what he had done to Maria. He wanted to tell Colby how Maria felt about him, but he had promised [who had he promised?] he wouldn’t. So [try not to start sentences with conjunctions, I know it's hard, but it makes your writing look so much better if you don't (: ] it would just have to be business as normal at the bureau [at the where?].

He arrived at the very tall glass building in his black Mustang. He climbed out and noticed Colby a few feet ahead of him walking into the building. He still wanted to shoot him in the back of his head, but that may not go over well with the director, so he decided against it. [Nice use of showing us Sam's feelings - great job (: ]

When Colby entered the building, he noticed Sam following him inside. He was happy to see his best friend, but when he saw his face, he had a feeling Maria had told [s]me[/s] him everything.

[There are a lot of pronouns being used (he/him), try and avoid that]

“Sam?” Colby asked quietly.

“What?” Sam asked glaring at him.

“How is she?” Colby asked looking down at the ground.

“Why the hell do you care Smith?” [s]He[/s] Sam couldn’t help it, he had to let it rip. “She was so god damn in love with you [s]it isn’t fit[/s] [that doesn't make sense, try rephrasing (: ]. You broke her heart into a million pieces. You treated her like shit, and she loved you, and still loves you!” Sam was yelling at Colby now and people were starting to stare at the pair. Sam grabbed Colby roughly and dragged him outside. “Are you going to say anything or just stand there?”

“Sam, I didn’t mean to hurt her that bad and..” He was cut of by more of Sam’s yelling.[Tr describing Colby a bit... the expression on his face, the look in his eyes, is his face flushed, is he raking his hands through his hair in agitation... build the character's reactions!! :D ]

“Damn it Colby, you didn’t mean hurt her? What the hell did you think you were doing? She thought you were dead! She mourned your death!” [Wow, a very interesting plot line, I may have to go and read the other chapters =P ]Sam continued to yell.

“Is her daughter mine?” Colby asked, that’s all he could muster out [I would cut this as it doesn't really fit, unless it's a thought of Sam's? If so, try and link the thought to him and put it in italics too]. Sam looked at him in disgusted.

“If Lily was yours, I would have killed you by now.” Sam said back to him.

“Is there any way I can talk to her? Sam please, I just really need to speak to her, and explain myself.[replace with comma]” Colby asked.

“If she wants to see you, you can. I am not going to forbid you to see her.” Sam got up in his face [s]now[/s]. “But if you hurt her again, I swear to god it will be the last thing you do. Got it?” Sam threatened. Colby just nodded and walked back into the building.

Inside, a co-worker stopped Colby and asked him what was going on between him and Sam.

“It was nothing Corey, but leave it [I would cut this as you don't really need it].” Colby replied and pushed passed him into his cubical.

“Okay then.[replace with comma]” Corey said[comma] sitting down on the opposite side and began working on his paperwork.

When Sam arrived back into the building he went inside his office and decided to call Maria.

“Hey girly, its Sam. What are you doing?”

“Nothing much Sam[comma] just hanging out with Anna at your dad[apostrophe]s. He and Max took Lily out to get ice cream.[replace with comma]” Maria replied [s]back[/s].

“Oh[comma] I see. Listen, you might hate me for this, but could you promise you won’t?” Sam asked. [I'm not getting any thoughts or feelings from Sam.. he's just a talking person at the moment, add some thoughts/feelings to his characters and it will make him so much more real and engaging, which is what we want and what I know you can achieve!! (: ]

“I could never hate you Sam. What’s up?” [Tone of voice...?]

“Okay, well when I was coming into work Colby was too. And he asked me how you were, and I just lost it. I said how much you loved him. I’m really sorry, but I wanted to make him feel guilty for what he had done. I'm so sorry Maria.” Sam said letting out a breath.

Tears started to well in [s]her[/s] Maria's eyes as Anna took her hand and mouthed, “What’s wrong?” Maria just shook her head and squeezed Anna’s hand. [Nice smooth transition from Sam's character to hers, well done (: ]

“What did he say Sam?”You need to have something like Maria said or Maria gasped before you put the Sam bit in, otherwise it's slightly confusing] Sam sighed.

“He wants to see you. I told him he would have to ask you.[replace with comma]” Sam said. Maria sniffled and Sam could tell she was crying.
[NP >>]“Maria, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you cry.”

“No Sam, it’s okay. Listen, I do want to see Colby, tell him okay?” Maria said back, not believing what she had just said. She looked up at Anna, who looked just as shocked.

“Okay Maria. Do you want me to tell him to call you[deleted question mark] or what?”

“No, tell him I’ll meet him at the park. What time will he be off?” she asked.

“I can let him go in 30 minutes, if you want.”

“Perfect, Sam thank you so much! Bye.”

“Bye[comma]” Sam replied as he hung up. “Colby!” He yelled out.

[Right, what's Sam feeling through all of this.. open his character up, tell us more about him, let us get to know him so much we think he's a part of the family!!=P ]

“Yeah?” he asked. [Where's Colby come from all of a sudden, and describe him, surely he'll look slightly anxious that Sam is calling him over so soon after their shouting match?]

“She wants to see you at the park down the road from my house, now, so go! And remember what I said if you hurt her!”

Yes Sam, thanks.” [Again, what is Colby's expression, surely he'll be surprised, and won't he want to know more?. And [you can cut this conjunction out (: ] Colby was gone.

[I would put a *** or something here to break the two apart, otherwise it won't flow as well as Anna and Maria are in a totally different place to Sam]

“You[apostrophere going to go meet him?” Anna exclaimed.

“Yeah Anna, I have to. I finally have my chance to get some answers, and I am taking it.” Anna nodded her head in understanding. [Again let us know more about Maria's feelings/thoughts. You need to get inside her head to see what she would be thinking/feeling after having agreed to see a man she loved and that she thought was dead. Surely there would be a lot more going on in her head than the blank nothing I'm getting now?]

“Okay, well good luck! And you look great!” Anna always had a fashion thing.

“Thanks and thanks. Tell Max and Alan where I am if they come back okay?”

“No problem! Bye.”

“Bye Anna.”

When Maria arrived at the park there was nobody there. She sat on the rubber swing and rocked herself gently and playing with sand that was at her feet. She did not notice him until he sat in the swing next to her.

[s]She hasn’t changed a bit[/s] [put direct thoughts into italics, he thought to himself. “Hi Maria[comma]” he said.

She shut her eyes and took in a deep breath as she looked back up at him. “Hi Colby.”[Way to end it!! Really keeps us hanging in suspense - awesome stuff!! :D]


Last Minute Views
Thought/Feelings
Those darn thoughts and feelings!! As a third person narrator it's your job to let us know what all of your characters are thinking, however annoying it is - those first persona narrators have it easy =P . I'm someone too that chooses to write in third person as I hate to be restricted to just one person's thoughts, I love to get into the heads of all my characters, which is what you need to be doing too. You just need to familiarise yourself with all your characters so you know what their reactions will be and it will also help to make your characters come alive, so they'll be popping out of the page and telling us the story themselves!! Now, if you want any further help with this please don't hesitate to PM me as I have loads of ideas that could help you out, and I would love to help you out further :D.

Descriptions
The descriptions in your chapter need a little work on - I had no image in my head of each of the four settings where everything took place (Sam's home and place of work, where Maria and Anna were, and the park). You need to close your eyes and picture out each scene, including your characters and how they fit into the scheme of things. Play the chapter out like a movie in your head and using all of your senses (hear, see, touch, taste, smell) describe the scenery to us so we can form an image in our heads.

Plot
The plot of the story sounds very interesting and has numerous of possibilities, so well done on creating such an amazing plot line!! :D

Overall Comments
This was a very good chapter, and with a little extra work on your characters and descriptions it will be even better!! :D I think that's all that I can say really except I really hope this review helps you out, good luck on writing the rest of this piece and if you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to PM me as I'll be more than happy to help (:

Keep writing!!
--Lucyy xx





Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
— Captain Jack Sparrow