z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Winter Sniper- Prologue (Title pending...)

by Kelpies


“When I was 12, I was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Not all that surprising really- where everyone else has imaginary friends, I have real ones. I can't see them, and most of the time I can't hear them, but I can feel them. I know who and what they are, of course, and I know that I am not the only one to know them. My best friend, the north wind, would blow over my ear like a flute and I would hear his voice. He always helped me aim my gun towards the enemy, and without him I wouldn’t be alive today. When I started taking meds, he went away, and I was so alone, so I stopped. I haven’t taken my meds since.

In the middle of a war-torn world, I do my best to serve my country. I was digging through that snowbank, making a me-sized hole from which to spot the terrorists. I had stripped down to a blue sports bra and shorts so that that I would cool down to ice temperature faster and the terrorists couldn’t find me with their thermal imaging cameras. Why am I telling you this? You work for them!”

The enemy interrogator jotted down some notes on her clipboard. “I would just like to hear your version of events.” I struggled against the strait jacket, cursing under my breath.

“Oh I see, want to see the military strategy? Well you can see my strategy, but I don’t work for anyone so I don’t have the foggiest notion what they’re planning to do. After burying myself in the snow, Jack Frost showed up.” I couldn’t help but lose my angry attitude as soon as I said his name. “We don’t talk much, but he’s there when times get tough. I can’t hear him, which is really disheartening, he’s helped me so much.” She made some more notes.

“If you can’t see or hear him, how do you know it’s him?”

“This cold feeling comes over me… I feel his hands, cold but gentle, gripping my arms. Sometimes they’re firm, telling me what I cannot hear. They’re like hands covered in icicle armor, shielding a man who never really was a fighter.” I felt myself begin to smile, fondly remembering what I knew.

“And… You do realize that Jack Frost isn’t real?”

I placed my words with care. “I know that not many other people know him the way I do.”

She jotted down a few more notes. “Please continue.”

“Then the terrorists approached, and I shot them with my daddy’s old hunting rifle. If you have any reports whatsoever you’d know this.”

She nodded, and left the room, the north wind, Buran blew in through the window, but I wasn’t listening to it today, instead I strained to hear what she was talking about.

“The patient has little to no idea of the crimes she’s committed.”

“Is she aware that she killed 18 people?”

“Yes, however she seems to believe that she lives in a WWIII situation.”

“The judges will have decided her fate by tomorrow. In the meantime, take the day off, you’ve earned it.”

***

By the time my sentence had gone through, I was starting to wonder if I had in fact killed terrorists. Not that it mattered now, I had sent 18 people to the grave; and one hour from now; one more death would occur- only this time it wouldn’t be at my hands. As of today; I was waiting for lethal injection. Buran whispered in my ear, praising me for killing the terrorists. He clapped me on the back with jubilation- as if he couldn’t see me either- as if he couldn’t find the sadness within me. He wouldn’t understand; he was immortal, and I’m fairly certain he doesn’t know what death is because everyone he associates with is also immortal, except for me. He said that I was praised in the vast halls of Valhalla, but all I wanted was to face my fate- alone for once.

“Please leave me be. It’s nothing personal, I just have a lot to think about.” Buran fell into a disappointed silence.

Is there a life after death? I wondered. I had heard so many versions of what happened after death. One was that we simply ceased to exist, and I didn’t particularly like that option. Then there was the idea of heaven and hell, and I never studied the bible so I was definitely going to hell if that was true. Maybe Hades was real, and I would be judged and it would be decided which part of the vast landscape I would find myself living out eternity in. My friends hadn’t given me any sort of clue as to where I would go when this happened, and without them I didn’t see the point in living. So, it is fair to conclude that simply ceasing to exist would be preferable to “living” without them.

I knew that in another room they were preparing chemicals to stop my pain, and then stop my heart. I shivered, and I wasn’t sure if I was ready to face this. I wasn’t ready to learn if there was a life after death. But, ready or not my time was swiftly approaching. The room was bare except for a simple clock; slowly counting down the seconds until my death. No matter how slowly the minute hand traveled between notches- I wasn’t going to be ready for this.

I remembered my childhood memories- first meeting Buran, playing in the snow with Jack, following Santa’s elves all the way back to the north pole, and tracking down the Easter Bunny to tell him that I was allergic to the milk chocolate he put in his eggs. And now here I was, and I had killed somebody. I knew that childhood me wouldn’t have ever thought of doing such a thing- let alone actually doing it. But here I was, and I mourned for their innocent families- who would never know what exactly was going through my head as I dealt the deathblow to each of their brothers, sisters, daughters, and sons.

When they came for me, I did not protest. I came with them quietly, shuffling my feet against the floor as I walked. When we arrived there, I was taken out of the straight jacket and strapped into a chair so I wouldn’t struggle as they brought forth the needle. I had known people who were scared of needles, and only now did I really understand them. I knew that I was trembling, shaking with fear.

The nurse sat down next to me, preparing to drive the needle into my flesh. Then someone gripped my other hand- I realized almost immediately that it was Jack. I gripped his hand as he intertwined his fingers in mine. As the needle entered my skin I heard his voice for the first time.

“Everything’s going to be OK Winter.” He whispered in a tear-choked voice.

“Everything’s going to be fine.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1085 Reviews


Points: 90000
Reviews: 1085

Donate
Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:39 am
View Likes
Mea wrote a review...



Hey there! Though I'd drop by to review this.

This was really great. I love the unreliable narrator, even if it is temporary, and I think it's really clever that she can only sense these people/beings/whatever with one or two senses.

Although the opening sentence had a quotation mark at the beginning, it really didn't feel like dialogue, just general internal narration by a first person narrator. It's a good opening, don't get me wrong, but it really jarred me when she shifted to 'Why am I telling you this?' Before, it hadn't felt like dialogue at all.

I think, if possible, you should have her explain a little bit more of why she thought they were terrorists and how the "voices" she hears/feels made her think that. It just seems like an explanation the woman would demand, and right now it feels odd, skipping straight from "so I have imaginary friends/schizophrenia" to "I saw them coming and I killed them."

She nodded, and left the room, the north wind, Buran blew in through the window, but I wasn’t listening to it today, instead I strained to hear what she was talking about.

You have two comma splices here - this should be three sentences total the way it's worded, not one.

I honestly don't have much else to say! This was just so good. If you've written more, please let me know when you post it!




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:56 am
BluesClues wrote a review...



So, question before anything else. I know it's not listed under fanfic, but is this kind of a "Guardians" fanfic thing? That's what it put me in mind of when Jack Frost first came up, more so later when the Easter Bunny, elves, and Santa were mentioned. Which, to be honest, made the whole chapter a little sad, because (since I've seen the movie) it felt like...well, it was this whole big question, you know? Because if this is fanfic and you've seen the movie, you either have to think that Winter is crazy and none of that ever happened OR you have to think that it did happen but these other people just think she's crazy. Sad either way.

But then there's the north wind, and I can't remember if the north wind was around for Guardians, so maybe it's not fanfic at all. Although if that's the case you should probably be aware that people might take it that way.

I'd also like to know if you've researched schizophrenia at all. Now, to be fair--maybe Winter doesn't actually have it. Sure, she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, but presumably her friends are real and everyone else just thinks she's schizophrenic because they can't see/hear/feel said friends.

But if your intention is that Winter actually is schizophrenic, you definitely need to research as much as you can about it. Possibly you've already done that. Since this is just the prologue and I don't know that much about schizophrenia myself, I can't tell. But just in case, I wanted to mention it.

No idea how realistic this bit is, but it was clever.

In the middle of a war-torn world, I do my best to serve my country. I was digging through that snowbank, making a me-sized hole from which to spot the terrorists. I had stripped down to a blue sports bra and shorts so that that I would cool down to ice temperature faster and the terrorists couldn’t find me with their thermal imaging cameras.


I was wondering, if the "enemy interrogator," presumably of the same nationality as the "terrorists," is questioning Winter, would the interrogator even know who Jack Frost is to say things like, "you know he's not real, right?" but then it occurred to me that she might not even actually be an enemy, because Winter might be wrong about everything.

Which is really fascinating, because it makes Winter an unreliable narrator. She tells us right off that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, that medications made her friends go away, and that she then stopped taking her medication. But at the same time we don't know if she's actually schizophrenic or if her friends are real and her diagnosis was therefore wrong. It's this weird, awesome unreliable-but-maybe-not thing that makes your story so interesting. The reader has so many questions at the end of this chapter just because of that one thing, because we're not sure whether or not we can trust anything Winter says. I hope you'll keep that up--although on that note, I also hope it will eventually be cleared up for us. But for now, I think it's enough to keep readers interested.




Kelpies says...


Most of that should be cleared up in chapter 1- also from Winter's point of view even though she's kind of dead. No this isn't a "Guardians" fanfic- which will also be explained later on. I haven't even seen the movie so... But you might think that because her imput is limited with her friends, she can usually only use one or two senses to try to understand them. So she guesses things based on her reading of folklore- and is almost always wrong. Unfortunately the unreliable narrator bit is going to slowly disappear as she figures out how everything works. Also spoiler-but-not-really, she's not schizophrenic. I did do some research on schizophrenia but probably not enough. Thanks for the review, I really needed it!




coffee and writing is a superior duo
— LadyBug