z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Polaris

by Kazumi


Once, in a time where there were still stars in Manila's night sky, a boy and his father celebrated Christmas at the Rizal Park. After a hearty Noche Buena, the father and son left for a walk at the park. They lay on a patch of grass not so far from the statue and there, under the light of the stars, they talked for hours.

"Anak, what do you want to be when you grow up?" the father asked fondly.

The son smiled and pointed to the brightest star in the sky. "Pa, I want to be like that star."

"That star? Why?"

"I want to shine brightly for all to see. I learned in school that that star's name is Polaris. It always stays in its place, and there it shines the brightest among the stars. And Pa, Polaris is the star the guided the Three Kings to Papa Jesus when he was born. Even today, sailors and travellers look up to that star when they are lost. So Pa, I want to be like Polaris. I want to be the brightest light in the darkest night, for all to look up to whenever they need guidance."

Time passed with shocking swiftness. The boy quickly became a man, and not long after had a boy of his own. One Christmas eve, after a filling Noche Buena, the man took his boy to the rooftop of his house. There, they sat on chairs and talked for hours.

"Anak, when you grow up, I want you to be the like Polaris, the brightest star in the sky. It always stays in place, and there it shines the brightest among the stars. You see, anak, Polaris is the star that-"

"Dad," the son interrupted, "what are you talking about? What's a star? What's a Polaris? Aren't these just old things that exist in fables?"

The man was shocked when he had heard this, for when he looked up, he saw no stars, no Polaris that shone brightly in the night sky. 

There was just absolute silence, and perpetual darkness wherever he looked.

(350 words)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 36
Reviews: 3

Donate
Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:24 am
View Likes
Lantz wrote a review...



I love it the symbolism used in this work is amazing I think it describes when a kid is young he looks up and sees hope in the night sky then when he is grown his child and him look up and he is shocked to realize there is no stars which could represent the loss of hope humanity feels in the future.I like the lines.
Time passed with shocking swiftness. The boy quickly became a man, and not long after had a boy of his own. One Christmas eve, after a filling Noche Buena, the man took his boy to the rooftop of his house. There, they sat on chairs and talked for hours.

"Anak, when you grow up, I want you to be the like Polaris, the brightest star in the sky. It always stays in place, and there it shines the brightest among the stars. You see, anak, Polaris is the star that-"

"Dad," the son interrupted, "what are you talking about? What's a star? What's a Polaris? Aren't these just old things that exist in fables?"

The man was shocked when he had heard this, for when he looked up, he saw no stars, no Polaris that shone brightly in the night sky.

There was just absolute silence, and perpetual darkness wherever he looked
Good job.




Kazumi says...


Thanks for the review!

on a side note, happy new year!



User avatar
58 Reviews


Points: 171
Reviews: 58

Donate
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:53 am
View Likes
TheStormAroundMe wrote a review...



Since it's review day, I'm here to review!

Woah, that's all I have to say at first. I like the concept, where the stars have all disappeared. Have they burned out? Has pollution become too thick for us to see them? I want to know.

That said, your sentences at the beginning were all very long and felt kind of monotonous for me. And, if the man was growing up, shouldn't he have noticed that the stars were disappearing before that moment with his son? I don't know, maybe my opinion here is a minority.

Since this work is very short, there's not much else to nitpick. Overall, I liked the story.

Keep writing!
-Grace




Kazumi says...


Thanks for the review!

To answer the question on what happened:

This is a very contextual piece. Try googling "Manila." You need to know the situation of the city in order to understand this fully.



JosephGeorge says...


Okay, that makes a little more sense. I feel like you should put that as a disclaimer at the top of this piece, that way anyone else who reads it will know what they need to know before going on.



Kazumi says...


It's gonna ruin the flashfic vibe. I want to keep the flashfic as pure as possible, so that the readers can have the nicest experience possible.

Also, looking into the context of the artwork and everything else about it is part of the art criticism process.



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 6987
Reviews: 117

Donate
Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:13 am
View Likes
JosephGeorge wrote a review...



Hey outvaders,

First Impressions: Definitely fits in the short story genre :D It was an interesting concept, so I enjoyed the read.

Positives: You've got a cool plot that flows well with the "informative" feel, which also is okay because of the fact that it's so short. Any longer and your reader would feel like they were reading a "...for dummies" book, rather than a story to their kids.

I liked the contrast between the first scene with the father and the son and the second, as it was just like a direct translation, only on the opposite side. It was an interesting plot twist, of course, when the entire world has flipped upside down, and we really quickly grasp that it's a big thing.

Negatives:

They lay on a patch of grass not so far from the statue and there, under the light of the stars, they talked for hours.


Practically everytime I do a review for anyone I have to point this out, so don't feel bad or anything, but you've used the pronoun "they" twice her in the same sentence. In fact, your entire piece is filled with pronouns upon pronouns, without much attention to how many are used, where and how they're used, and if there's any way to break things up by applying a different pronoun, or not one at all.

It makes the writing stale, and not very fun to read because it's clunky and flat. I would try to find new ways to describe what your characters are doing, things like making it present tense for just a moment, that way you don't have to explain who and who and who did what.

I also struggled when the story ended so abruptly, which is alright, but there was nothing left behind for the reader to grasp onto. "Okay? So...why did I just read that?" is what I thought. There doesn't seem to be much of a real purpose here. If there is, please let me know. But if not, you should find one and put it in there so that people have a better reaction.

Overall: I like the simplistic nature of this piece, and the fact that so much happens in such a short time. It needs a little bit of help and a revamp in the "moral at the end of the story" part, but that can be fixed easily.

I give it:
ImageImageImage


Joseph Henry George




Kazumi says...


Sup GJ, thanks for the review!

Try putting research into Manila, Philippines, then you'like understand what this is all about :^)



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 14
Reviews: 19

Donate
Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:39 pm
View Likes
CarryOnMrCaulfield wrote a review...



Hello! Holden Caulfield here with a review. Now, I do not know if I quite understand the overall meaning of the story, but, as a concept, I found it interesting. I liked what I interpreted to be religious symbolism.

My main problem with the piece is the grammar.

in a time where there were still stars in Manila's night sky


It should be "In a time WHEN there were still stars".

Christmas at the Rizal Park


Replace the "at" with the word "in"

Papa Jesus


Never heard this before. Is that a cultural name for Jesus?

The strongest part of the story was the end. It gave me the chills. I take it that the lack of stars in the sky is due to pollution. The lack of idealization in the end, that the child has no dream as big as the father, is sad. The ending is not even bittersweet. It is sad, demonstrating an almost loss of imagination.

Grammatical errors aside, the story was chilling. I quite liked it. Keep on writing.




Kazumi says...


Sup Caulfeld, happy Review Day!

To answer that question, yes, "Papa Jesus" is cultural.

Also, I never thought of the ending as a lack of ambition/imagination. Pretty insightful.

Thanks for the review doe



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1937
Reviews: 91

Donate
Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:57 pm
Kazumi says...



To the people who see this (and to those who don't), have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Apologies for being late to the party.

*I can't really post these little author's notes at the end of the work, or else it'll ruin the flashfic vibe.*




User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 344
Reviews: 126

Donate
Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:57 pm
Aleta says...



Interesting facts, just thought I would share: The Chinese considered the Pole Star as “the great honorable Lord of the Heavens.” In a relevant position in the natal chart it gives spiritual powers to the nearer, who will be highly respected. The Pole Star serves as a guide and indicator. If it is conjunction planets in the angles, the native will have a good sense of discretion and is able to follow his or her instincts. The native clearly recognizes his or her aims, and will pursue and achieve them. [3]

Polaris, α Ursa Minoris, the Pole Star, is not as bright as we may think, It is still east to find by following up a line through the lower and upper stars at the end of the pan part of the Dipper. Ptolemy gives it Saturn-Venus rating, entirely right for the star which serves so well to guide us in our wanderings, and that is just what it tells us about people when we find it strong on their horoscopes. According to its aspects, they are excellent or not so good at receiving and giving guidance, but give it they always will, and to any and all who will listen. [4]

Polaris rules the pancreas in the human body. [5]





Don't be sad bc sad backwards is das and das not good
— LadyMysterio