The Night Beside The Pond

by Kayleigh

The late September evening was calm, and there was an unmistakable chill in the air. Autumn had most definitely set in. The year had gone so fast, soon enough it would be Christmas. The air wasn’t the only element that was cold, I swear the blood in my veins had converted to liquid ice. A shiver had ran down my spine as I remembered the somewhat desperate voice of Killian getting through to me. Almost demanding I meet him. How could I say no? I’d been there for him so much lately, it would have been wrong to turn him down. And I wanted to see him. Longed to see him.

I met him halfway between the route from his to my house. He looked completely bewildered. “What’s wrong?” I inquired, even he must have sensed the concern that was wrapped up in my voice.

“I need to sit down,” his voice was stumbling. “Shall we go to the pond?”

“Sure.” I agreed.

The walk to the local pond was a short and quiet one. The only thing that could be heard was our footsteps treading on the ground, that and the yelps of younger teenagers that passed us by. I needed to know what was wrong with Killian, I couldn’t help but care. I wanted to help so desperately.

We both sank onto the harsh wooden bench. Again the question crept to my lips “What’s wrong? Tell me, please. I want to help.”

Killian looked as though he was searching through his mind for the words. “Nadine.”

I provoked him to be more detailed with his answer. “What about her?”

“She said she almost tried to kill herself last night.”

“Bullshit.” The word has escaped from my mouth before I even realized what I was thinking. But it was. This theory was utter bullshit. I could tell. I knew who Nadine was. I knew her tricks. I got a brief look of surprise from Killian, before carrying on. “Sorry. What were her reasons?”

“She took something I said the completely wrong way.” Killian looked guilty. I rested a hesitant hand upon his shoulder. What more could I do to comfort him? I felt a pang , all I wanted to do was hold him, tell him not to worry.

“It’s not your fault. She’s the one who twisted what you said…what exactly did you say?”

Killian drew in a ragged breath, it appeared as though he was going to break down, but he still spoke the words he wanted to say. “I said…” He paused, as if trying to remember exactly what he had said. “Well, lately, you and me have been spending more time together than me and Nadine. She’s my girlfriend. I’m supposed to see her. But she never wants to be out with me. There’s always an excuse.”

“Is that what you said?”

“No. I said that it seemed that you cared more about me than she did. And she took it as though I had said that you did actually care more about me than she did.”

But I do… I made sure not to say these words aloud.

“Well, instead of saying she’s going to kill herself she should have tried to be a better girlfriend.” I could tell my tone was bitter, but at that moment, I didn’t particularly care. Killian knew how much I liked him, and he also probably knew my last sentence was right.

“I don’t know if I can be with her anymore. Knowing what I could have caused…I just don’t want to hurt her like that.”

I wanted to shake him, scream at him, get it through to him that this was not his fault that Nadine was an attention seeker. He deserved better. Anyone but her. Then I could feel it. The tear pricked the back of my eye. Stop it. Now. This won’t make it any better.

“Are you crying?” it was Killian’s turn to be concerned now.

“No.” I wiped at my eye with my sleeve. “There’s something in my eye.” What a poor excuse. I realized how stupid I must have seemed. Great. Obviously the dull glow from the street lamp was brighter than I had originally thought. “I’m fine. Carry on.” I sat leaning forward, my hands rested on my knees, listening intently.

“I told her I’d give her time to decide what she wants. She’s got to think about if she wants me to be around or not anymore.” Killian gave me a sideways glance. And then I saw it. His eyes were watering as well. This was too much for me. My lip began to tremble and the tears wouldn’t stop. They coursed down my face and dropped. I must have looked so childish. “You don’t deserve this! I don’t want to see you get hurt!” My voice was stronger than how I physically felt.

It was then that it happened. Killian moved that bit closer and enveloped me in a deep embrace. I felt safe. I felt secure. And I sure as hell wanted him to feel that too.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:45 pm
Kayleigh says...

I think I can see where I've gone wrong, thanks for the comments. Yes, I was writing from experience, and I just ended up telling an account of what happened, oops. Kind of rushed too...I'll put more effort into it when I'm feeling less ill, lol.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:57 pm
Madhatter66 wrote a review...

This piece of writing lacks in true emotion of the main character, you are speaking too much as if it was your own experience, and your language and style used doesn't work very well at some points in the story I will quote for you
"The air wasn’t the only element that was cold, I swear the blood in my veins had converted to liquid ice" that just sounds really exaggerated and you could have made it sound alot more interesting and "I swear" didn't help either that just killed the line totally.

I think you should stick to your poems for the time been, so you can really get in touch with your writing side, and really work on your stories after grasping your peotry, but the greatest advice I can give is not to use words such as "Hell" from the line "And I sure as hell wanted him to feel that too" your character sounds as if she is desperate and not actually feeling for this Killian guy; most of the lines just seem off putting.

It was a nice concept, but the content and writing itself needs work, that is if you actually acontinue with this work and I hope you do

Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:03 am
emotion_less wrote a review...

Was this taken from real experience, or not? I didn't really like it either way. It lacked any description and, I guess, content, to make it interesting. Though the characters were crying and 'emotional,' the dialogue and action seemed very flat, making it seem fake. Also, you relied too much on dialogue to make this effective, but then the dialogue was too jumbled and uninteresting to be read with enthusiasm. I think you should work on this a little more.

Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:47 am
Shriek wrote a review...

Awh. I can relate to the narrator's feelings so well in this (except for the fact that my ending wasn't as fortunate). I liked it a lot. You definately get inside the narrator's head and magnified her pain effectively. The plot seemed like a typical teen angst story, but the emotion you put into it added a new element that made it different from others. So nice work with that.

One slight nitpick I have is that, this being a story told by a teenager, the narrator and Killian don't speak like teenagers nowadays. For example, how many guys do you know that would say, "Shall we go to the pond?" Or maybe they do in the UK (and if that's the case, just disreguard this comment!).

Otherwise, this looks great. I loved the last line--definately a powerful way to end it. :)

If you want to make enemies, try to change something.
— Woodrow Wilson