12+

That One Time We Strategically Used a Bathroom in Battle Part 1

by KateHardy

"Quantax on your left."

Sean Argentum ducked to his right as a large glowing spear raced past him and struck something with a "THUNK."

"Thanks, Darkness," he called back, turning towards the new assailant. He looked behind said assailant and soundlessly teleported behind them, conking them on the head with the butt of his dagger and knocking them out cold.

"Well this is looking like a right mess," said Harry, code name The Darkness, walking up to him. The agents blue tinted glasses were missing a len, meaning he looked like some kind of cyborg what with his one visible eye glowing blue and the veins of blue energy pulsating across the very pale skin of his face.

"You don't say," spoke up Vankous, another agent. His code name was Doctor Cerebro.

"Well I guess the plan is ruined," said Sean, looking around them. They were currently in the entrance hall of a giant castle. A castle which they might not have actually been given permission to be inside. It was your generic fancy caste, plenty of large chandeliers lit up the giant room, a red velvet carpet covered the entire floor and a grand staircase leading up to a balcony was the centerpiece of the room. Several dozen guards were however, emerging from said staircase and also from several rooms behind said staircase.

"Heyy...we got the idol at least, that's what we came here for," said Harry, blasting the first wave of guards with lightning, sending them all flying back into each other to topple down like dominoes. No force of evil henchmen ever seemed to learn that standing in a perfect line and charging was an extremely bad idea.

"And you have a plan to get out?" asked Vankous. He was currently floating at the level of the balcony, encased in a protective bubble of purple magic. All sorts of projectiles were bouncing off of it, but he hardly seemed to paying attention to any of them.

"Now, but...we're going to improvise so much, its gonna look like we have a plan, " said Harry, punching several more guards.

"I guess that's kind of become our thing recently," said Sean, charging the nearest set of guards along with Harry, slashing here and there with his dagger, but generally trying not to accidentally kill anyone while knocking as many out as he could.

"Let's face it, this team has never had a plan go right across our millenia of doing this," said Vankous, stifling a yawn as he seemed to be fixing his purple hair in the reflective surface of his protective bubble. "Also overpowered water canons do terrible things to hairdos."

"We had one pla..." began Harry, before his communicator began to beep. "Heyy, looks like the rest of the gang made it at least. Our distraction seems to have worked."

"Well answer it and find out maybe," said Vankous.

"Excuse me, I'm the one giving orders," said Harry, shaking his head as he answered the call, and he put it on speaker.

"Darkness, do you read?" came the voice of James.

"Yes, Khaos, did you deliver the package?"

"Oh yeah, Soundwave has it," said James.

"Did everyone else manage to make it back?" asked Harry.

Sean had to turn away from the conversation for a moment as a particularly determined set of guards charged forward, holding large maces. It looked like they were supposed to be the special section of the guard or something, judging by the emblems on the helmets they wore, distinguishing them from all the other guards clad in their crimson armor.

Dodging the first swing, he teleported up into the air and allowing the density of his body to increases, fell down on top of them like a humanoid bowling ball, scattering the lot of them like...well...bowling pins.

By the time he could focus enough to listen to what was going on, Harry was halfway up the staircase, punching guards with each word he spoke. It looked a couple of the poor fellows were getting some annoyance taken out on them.

"Are you serious?" asked Harry. Several dudes went flying into a nearby wall and crashed down to the floor. Thankfully, the carpet seemed to have broken their fall. "Ask Hurricane or Princess and tell me now." There was now a brand new hole in the staircase as Harry stamped on the floor, sending several guards tumbling down through the staircase.

Sean could hear yelling in the background of the audio and then James came through again. "Okay, everyone is present and accounted for besides you, Cerebro and Quantax."

"Thank you, now get the ship started and out of the atmosphere ASAP so Quantax can teleport all of us on board," said Harry.

"Aye, Captain, give us ten minutes. I'll send you a text when we're ready." With that the line went dead.

"So how exactly are we going to survive that hoard for the next ten minutes?" asked Sean, punching through the final line of guards. It looked like they had a small moment of respite for the moment but he was sure a ton more of them would be pouring in very soon.

"Hmm, that...is an excellent question," said Harry, "I'm currently working on it."

"You guys could just join me up here," said Vankous, floating down to their level.

"You know very well exactly what's wrong with that plan so don't make me waste time pointing those out Cerebro," said Harry.

"Fine, then come up with a plan before we're swamped by more guards," said Vankous.

Harry's eyes lit up suddenly and a very mischievous grin spread across his face. That couldn't possibly mean anything good for the poor guards.

"How good are you guys at bathroom warfare?" he asked.

Mageheart wrote a review...

Hi Harry! I'm not sure if I'll be able to review both parts of this bathroom adventure today, but I wanted to read/review at least one part of it today~

I'll start this review off by commenting on specific lines, then move onto the entire part by the end of it. Let me know if I need to clarify anything I'm about to say!

He looked behind said assailant and soundlessly teleported behind them, conking them on the head with the butt of his dagger and knocking them out cold.

I love this line! "Conking them" is such a comical word choice that really fits the vibe of the story. I'm also happy to see Sean in action. :)

The agents blue tinted glasses were missing a len, meaning he looked like some kind of cyborg what with his one visible eye glowing blue and the veins of blue energy pulsating across the very pale skin of his face.

I just wanted to second @MailicedeNamedy's comment about the blue here, as well as mention two quick little grammar/spelling mistakes I noticed: "agents" should be "agent's" and "len" should be "lens". Lens/lenses is one of those weird words that has a singular form that looks plural.

It was your generic fancy caste, plenty of large chandeliers lit up the giant room, a red velvet carpet covered the entire floor and a grand staircase leading up to a balcony was the centerpiece of the room.

I love this description! Knowing what your characters are like, the description of it being a fancy castle (which you misspelled as caste, as a quick heads up!) feels like something one of the Alpha Pack would say.

"its" should be "it's".

And pretending to have a plan is definitely a good plan! It really does fit the characters—especially after hearing the Alpha Pack talk about how their plans always go haywire over in The Ringing of the Bells. :P

That sentence is on the longer side, so it might be good to break it up. But I also love the contradiction of Sean using a knife and not wanting to kill anyone. Knives are the type of weapon I typically associate with killing people, so it's a really cool glimpse into his character/personality!

I love these two way too much.

It's really entertaining seeing them just effortlessly take out multiple lines of guards. It really does make me question how secure this castle actually is. :P

(But the Alpha Pack are also pretty OP, so it makes sense that something like this would be easy! I just think it's funny that they're worried about surviving when the guards should probably be more scared of that. c:)

That ending is perfect! That grin was so in-character for Harry based on what I've seen in roleplays with him, and that final line made me grin, too. I can't wait to see the actual bathroom warfare in the next part of this!

Now onto some more general comments~

I think I mentioned this in my reviews on A Day Off, but you really do have a knack for writing fun character interactions! I love seeing the gang banter with each other as they fight enemies. Having a seemingly endless slew of low-tier opponents was also a nice switch from previous battles I've seen with them. I also still can't get over that final line. :P

I think the one flaw with this story is the lack of context. The title gives away the bathroom fighting plot, but the beginning of the story doesn't give too much detail on why the group are at this castle and who these guards work for. It would be great if you could somehow work that into the first few paragraphs, later than midway through this part. I also think it might be handy to have an author's note with a guide that explains who the characters are and what group they're a part of.

I've been doing something kind of like that with my novel, and I think it's really helped newer readers/ones who haven't read about the characters in a bit understand what exactly is going on. Here's an example of how I've been writing mine:

The Story So Far: Ghost-seeing teenager Van Sullivan returns to South Haven, his childhood town, after ten years of being away. After a rocky reunion with his old best friend Rose and a bus accident, he finds himself in another world with Rose's boyfriend Theo. The two of them fall into an old, abandoned set of ruins and discover Temp, a strange, mannequin-like figure. After leaving the ruins with Temp in tow, the two encounter a woman named Liv. Liv informs the two of them that Temp is a vessel created by this world's god - and that Van is the world's new chosen one.

An author's note on this story might look something like this:

Harry Hardy, code-named The Darkness, is a superhero (among many other things) who regularly goes on missions with his similarly supernaturally-talented friends in the Alpha Pack. You can read more about their story in The Alpha Pack. This is the story of one of their missions.

You could also include a guide down underneath it that says what code names everyone has.

Besides that, I really enjoyed reading this part of the story! I can't wait to check out the next. :)

KateHardy says...

Thank you for the review!!

Hmm...I should do that on the next crazy idea I end up turning into a short story...thx for the advice :D

Hi HarryHardy,

First of all, the title made me very curious. There's something about unusual titles :D

Let's start right away:

The agents blue tinted glasses were missing a len, meaning he looked like some kind of cyborg what with his one visible eye glowing blue and the veins of blue energy pulsating across the very pale skin of his face

Apart from the description here, which I like, I also notice that you use "blue" three times. I think you could be more specific about which blue it is, or use synonyms ("eye glowing like the deep ocean / sky, etc...) to give the sentence some spice. It reads a bit plain that way.

They were currently in the entrance hall of a giant castle.

Your story up to this point has a dynamic vein and it reads with a tension that suggests that many things happen within a short time. This sentence here, however, feels like a stop that Sean and co. are standing on. At least a little bit, I would rewrite the sentence to fit better with the previous sentence, like for example "The room they were in was the entrance hall of a giant castle."

Several dudes went flying into a nearby wall and crashed down to the floor.

That made me grin when I read that there were dudes flying around. :D

That's a good cliffhanger :D

So, the story has great action and dynamics. I like how the plot doesn't come to a standstill, and you also build up your dialogue so that something is constantly happening around the group while they are talking. It helps build up the tension.

I like the dialogue too. They seem to be well chosen and even if you don't know the characters directly, you can read a bit about their personalities and how they interact with each other from what they say.

They interact in a very well-knit and strategic yet chaotic team and I like the fact that as a reader you fall right into the short story as if you've been dropped into the middle of a mission. One clearly notices that the characters understand each other well and also trust each other to some extent. You've portrayed that well and built it up. In summary, I can say at this point that the whole situation reminds me a little of an online video game playing with friends. :D

I liked the section where you started to describe the castle, but I also thought there was some room for improvement. You use the same expressions or related words (large - giant - grand) for the description. Even if it is not of absolute importance to describe that castle in all corners, it seems a bit simplistic and "boring". Although it is hinted at as a "generic fancy castle", I would have expected a few more points there.

The only thing I don't know directly is whether I should judge the story more as a comedy or more in the direction of action. I have the impression that you try to be sarcastic or humorous in the dialogues, but I don't want to label the story as a comedy. (And yet I imagine how the team, similar to police officers have to write a report, and they choose to use this title to name the report). :D

Your writing style has a very active feel to it, which I like and think is also very appropriate for the subject matter here. It all seems like it happens within a few minutes and one can imagine it perfectly because the story focuses on the most important points. One practically experiences the action.

I'll probably have to read part 2 and find out for myself how the story will end. :D

Have fun with the writing!

Mailice.

KateHardy says...

Thanks for the review!!

And...xD...I kinda hoped it could be taken as a comedy but I didn't know it would be quite funny enough so I didn't tag it as humor.

SalemReine wrote a review...

Hello! Greetings, salutations, good day!

First off, YOUR TITLE. It certainly drew me in! And your story lived up to it, it was engaging and hilarious!

I loved the dialogue between your characters, each person spoke differently, and they interacted well. They seem to all like each other. I’m very interested in this team, is it a superhero squad? Who are they fighting? Is it more like a heist?

How does Harry/The Darkness know how to do bathroom warfare?! Did he take special classes for it?! Was he a prankster as a child?!

Vankous sounds kind of vain! I’m not sure how to bring the text down here, but the line is “Also overpowered water cannons do terrible things to hairdos”

I’m excited to read part two! And I’m looking forward to learning more about this team!

Good day, see ya, bye bye!

KateHardy says...

Thank you for the review!!!

xD...this is a bit of a superhero squad from a larger story I'm trying and failing to write...and I'm just writing silly shorts here and there involving them.

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates