12+

Survival: The Escape, Chapter 15.4

by KateHardy

She didn’t look back. Aria had one goal at the moment and that was survive, by any means necessary. If they gave up now, they were all sitting ducks. She was Ariana Kane, daughter of Alice Kane. And her mother never gave up, no matter how much the odds were stacked against her.

They neared the turn into the corridor and Aria called them to a stop. She flattened herself against the wall, and inched towards the edge, hoping the others were doing the same. She risked a quick peak and saw several figures coming up from the left. The right was the same.The only route out of there was blocked. They would have to fight their way through a mob of armed guards without the advantage of the darkness. They needed a distraction of some sort or it was going to be suicide.

“Ryan, how good is your aim?” she asked.

“Not too bad,” he said, raising his eyebrows.

“Anyone got something heavy?” asked Aria.

Kate produced a calculator from one of her pockets and presented it to Aria.

“Perfect,” said Aria, “I need you to throw this as far as you can to the left.”

“Distraction?” asked Harry, catching on.

“Only way we survive this,” said Aria.

“You can’t be serious,” said Kate, “we’re running right at them. You realize they’re armed.” Kate had gotten paler by the minute and it looked like she wasn't very convinced with this current plan.

“Don’t worry, it will work,” said Aria.

“It’s a good plan,” agreed Ryan, moving to take the calculator. "Perhaps the only plan."

“And that is supposed to make me feel better,” said Kate, looking even more terrified.

“We’ll be fine,” said Daisy, moving to put an arm around the older girl,” trust me, this is not the first life threatening situation we've escaped. We’ll pull it off. Isn’t that right everyone?”

Aria gave them her most confident ‘I totally have a plan’ smile. She gestured to Ryan. He quickly ducked out into the hallway, flinging the calculator with all his might before ducking back in. A loud clang could be heard as it struck something down the hallway. There was a sudden shriek and the sound of heavy footsteps mixed with scraping claws.

Aria turned to them and held up three fingers. ‘On my count’ she mouthed.

Three fingers raised. Two fingers. One finger. She burst out of the hallways just as the Carpathian guards thundered past it. She ducked and rolled between them, taking off without looking back. She heard a loud thud and a sharp cry of pain but she kept running, gritting her teeth and fighting the urge to look back. She was already ducked into the hallway leading towards The Hub before she dared to look back. Kate and Daisy were right behind her, both of them breathing hard.

Before she could ask, Harry, sporting a gash on his arm and Ryan, holding a large metal pipe that looked suspiciously like the barrel of a gun turned the corner.

“Go, go, go,” said Harry, “Don’t worry about the blood, it’s a tiny cut.”

Aria didn’t hesitate. She ran towards The Hub. Shrieks and more wailing filled the air, punctuated with the occasional metallic clang. The lights in the corridor were also starting to flicker on. The guards had clearly reported them in.

Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:09 am
ForeverYoung299 wrote a review...

Hey! Forever here with a review!!

This was a very action packed part and Aria is doing all these things as a true leader. I like her spirit of fighting with the aliens and not sacrificing. Okay the first paragraph was interesting in the sense that we do get a hint of Mrs. Kane's past. We don't really know what incident Aria is referring to but hm... Something interesting. I am a bit curious to know what really happened in the previous escape trial and also who the leaders were back then. Was Mrs. Kane a part of it?

I wonder what Kate was doing with the calculator and of what use it was to her. What calculation does she exactly do? Anyway, hm... Seems like she hasn't got enough nerve. Well, it's not very right to judge someone without knowing the whole thing but I think so. I assume she knows a lot more about aliens than the others present there. Thus she know more about their powers too. That could be a reason of her terror.

Another thing, why did Aria adk Ryan about his aim. I mean she could just ask if anyone has a good aim. At least in this situation no one would hesitate to say if they had good aims. No time to self-sabotage. But hm... Maybe Aria thought he would be able to throw it better because of his figure. Quick thought.

Danger id definitely knocking on the door. If that is indeed a barrel of a gun, Harry has got some serious cuts and still he is saying tiny cuts. However, it's also true that they don't have time to worry about the cut because if they do, they will be caught and totally fired or killed. Well now the whole aliens species living in that place knows about them and the escape. That's indeed a red flag. If I am not wrong, they will not be able to escape, at least not through the doors. The aliens will highly guard them. And also I do wonder about the humans. I reckon they know about the whole thing too. The team didn't really manage to convince the aliens that the escape was totally planned by them. So, the whole human race is kind of in fatal danger. Only if someone could do something with the lights... Let's see what happens next.

Keep Writing!!

~Forever

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:43 pm
RandomTalks wrote a review...

Hey Harry!

RandomTalks here with a short review!

This was an exciting and action-packed continuation of the story. I suppose things had turned pretty worse in the previous part, but I did not really understand the exact definition of 'worse' until this part. From what I understood with the ending, the aliens had notified everyone of the escape attempt and there is no doubt that the alien armies or whatever it is that they call themselves will now be assembling to get them. And considering that they are now running towards the Hub, I don't really see how they are going to escape this time. But for the sake of the characters we have grown to love over the 15 chapters, I hope they figure out something.

Aria seems to have really stepped into her role as the leader. She is quick on her feet and instead of panicking and freaking out, she thinks logically to come up with a way out of the situation. I could feel her panic, but I could also see how masterly she reigned it in and did what needed to be done in that moment - get them out of there. I was really impressed with her decision making, especially considering that she has no experience and is just a teenager herself. They made a very wise choice in appointing her as the leader.

The idea of using a distraction to run was actually very brilliant. We have seen earlier that the aliens are a little weak in their senses/ They have weapons that can vaporize you and they have the brains to plot and plan, but when it comes to their senses or their physical capabilities, they fall behind the humans. Otherwise, Harry Daisy and Aria would never have been able to escape from them the first time they ran into the aliens. So hopefully, their luck will work this time too, and the distraction caused by the calculator was enough to earn them a safe distance from the aliens. Speaking of calculators, why and how exactly did Kate have a calculator in her pocket? How many things can she fit in there?

Considering that the aliens have now sounded their alarm system, I think it will wake up the entire camp to what is going on. It also makes me wonder how the aliens realized they were trying to escape and if this question is ever going to be addressed. Their parents probably know by now that something went very wrong - what are they thinking? And also, how exactly did Ryan get his hands on the barrel of a gun? Didn't the aliens carry some sort of plasma guns? If it was that, I do think that Harry would not just sport a gash on his arm. It seems like a lot had happened in between that moment when Aria decided not to turn her head back. Its like a rollercoaster of events and suspense, and honestly, I am enjoying every second of it.

Keep writing and have a great day!

Until next time!

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!!

Kate has a few gadgets she likes to carry around :D Hmm...I tried to keep that small fight between Ryan and Harry a bit off camera to make things a bit more exciting, but that is the barrel of of a plasma gun. :D The last alien they had to get through managed to block their way but they managed to grab its gun fast enough to wrestle the gun away. The barrel came off and that was what actually managed to cut Harry there. :D

Thanks again :D

Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:52 am

Hi Harry,

Mailice back again with a short review! :D

We achieve a good continuation of the plot here. Aria continues to be a strong fighter. Positives here are how you've kept this kind of dramatic action scene in a very good tone and that the structure has been maintained, although we're a bit more in a fast pace here where a lot of things happen in a short space of time.

You've proved here that we're at a critical juncture and not to expect what can be expected. In contrast to the previous chapter, here is indeed the practice of which I have written.

A highlight in this chapter so far is how Aria presents herself as a good leader, a thing I didn't expect from her so directly. It reinforces my belief that she may one day become like her mother. I also liked the beginning, how you portrayed that well, not playing on "I am the main character" but on "I am X's daughter". That has more impact on the characters than the typical main character problem.

So far it's a very strong chapter, moving in a good and exciting direction. We've even reached the first injury now and now I'm standing there wondering where else we're going to go.

One other point I noticed while reading:

Why is she having a calculator with her? I needed here during my math exams! :D

KateHardy says...

Thank youu for the review!! :D

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird