z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Kryptos

by KatGirl


Kryptos

Kryptos, a sculpture located on the grounds of the CIA headquarters in Langley, Virgina, has been puzzled over for many years. In the year of 1990, James Sanborn installed the sculpture, which contains 1800 characters consisting of enycrypted messages, of which three have been solved. A fourth section of 97 characters that remains uncracked. The first section reads: "Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion." The word 'iqlusion' seems like a misspelling of the word 'illusion.' The word nuance is a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound.

"the nuances of facial expression and body language"

synonyms: fine distinction, subtle difference;

Instead of focusing on the definition for differences in shades/color, the code could actually mean sound. Clearly, Sanborn is describing some sort of item or object. If you look at code two of Kryptos, it states: IT WAS TOTALLY INVISIBLE HOWS THAT POSSIBLE ? THEY USED THE EARTHS MAGNETIC FIELD X THE INFORMATION WAS GATHERED AND TRANSMITTED UNDERGRUUND TO AN UNKNOWN LOCATION X DOES LANGLEY KNOW ABOUT THIS ? THEY SHOULD ITS BURIED OUT THERE SOMEWHERE X WHO KNOWS THE EXACT LOCATION ? ONLY WW THIS WAS HIS LAST MESSAGE X THIRTY EIGHT DEGREES FIFTY SEVEN MINUTES SIX POINT FIVE SECONDS NORTH SEVENTY SEVEN DEGREES EIGHT MINUTES FORTY FOUR SECONDS WEST X LAYER TWO

Graphic coordinates indicate a point on the CIA campus about 200 feet south of the sculpture. James Sanborn has revealed that "WW" stands for William Webster, who was CIA director when Kryptos was dedicated. This code speaks of using the Earth's magnetic field, and 'it' being totally invisible. Honestly, the only rational thing he is referring to is a portal. What else could be completely invisible? Or, perhaps, is James Sanborn misleading us? Many people think not. When 'Kryptos' is searched on Google Maps, close to the sculpture a place is labeled "Piece of the Berlin Wall." Sanborn recently revealed a word from K4 (the last section of Kryptos) to speed up the process, which was the world berlin. According to Google Maps, the piece of the Berlin wall is located in Mclean, Virgina, in a dense forest. Sanborn may be pointing to where the object is located-exactly where the piece of the Berlin wall lays.

Since Sanborn already revealed that positions 64 through 69 spell out "Berlin," we now know that 64 to 74 means "Berlin clock," as the New York Times points out. Or, perhaps, Sanborn is also directing to Berlin, Germany. Many commoners and theorists point out that "a strange clock of Berlin and Kryptos, the CIA sculpture have something in common in their base: A compass rose engraved at the same time as the main sculpture was installed, sculptor Jim Sanborn also placed several other pieces around CIA grounds, such as several large granite slabs with sandwiched copper sheets outside the entrance to the New Headquarters Building.

Several morse code messages are engraved in the copper, and one of the slabs has an engraved compass rose and a lodestone. Other elements of Sanborn’s installation include a landscaped area, a duck pond, a reflecting pool, and several other seemingly unmarked slabs. The World Clock "Urania" located on the famous Alexanderplatz is one of the most visited places of cosmopolitan Berlin. Located in the city center and meeting point for tourists, friends, lovers or protesters, is as popular as Alex itself.

The structure of cement and aluminum measuring total 10 meters high. The lower column measuring 2.7 meter and has a width of 1.5 meters. It stands on a compass rose shaped stone mosaic (shown in the picture, notice his base of the spine). This seems like the search for treasure to search where is the x, or in this case looking where is the compass rose."

Bibliography

"Kryptos K4 Berlin Clock, & A Compass Rose." WordPress. 23 Nov. 2014. Web.

Zetter, Kim. "Documents Reveal How The NSA Cracked the Kryptos Sculpture Years Before the CIA." Wired. 13 Mar. 2007. Web.

Google Maps

"Kryptos- Central Intelligence Agency." CIA. Web. <https://www.cia.gov/about-cia/headquarters-tour/kryptos>.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
126 Reviews


Points: 344
Reviews: 126

Donate
Sat May 27, 2017 8:33 am
Aleta wrote a review...



Hi there, Aleta here to review this unique piece

Wow, that's an amazing article. There are so many things to sit back and admire about this piece.

1. Written with thorough research:

There are so many facts given here, some of them are actually hard to believe. Particularly Sanborn's descriptions but when you attach 'facts' with strong evidences I am left wondering.

This is amazing article because this looked more like a conspiracy but with evidences, I can't say that.

2. A unique theme:

I haven't read such an offbeat article in quite a while It's a very fresh piece for me. Good to see someone going completely out of standard write-up mode and doing something different.

I am also happy that this piece was not just engaging, it was also informative. Thank you for posting it here. I read something unexpected today. Great article. Well researched!

This is just super cool! It is professionally written, interesting, and about something that means something to a lot of people. If I didn't know any better, I would have though this was written by some journal; however, there is one thing I would point out. The use of the capital letters unmines the writing, making it seem slightly lower quality. This is a simple fix. Also, although it is interesting, I feel that it could use a bit more spice. Younger readers would most likely find this rather dull; These are not big problems, so I hope you can fix them!




User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 3698
Reviews: 9

Donate
Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:01 pm
Stormcrow wrote a review...



...Wow. This is just super cool! It is professionally written, interesting, and about something that means something to a lot of people. If I didn't know any better, I would have though this was written by some journal; however, there is one thing I would point out. The use of the capital letters unmines the writing, making it seem slightly lower quality. This is a simple fix. Also, although it is interesting, I feel that it could use a bit more spice. Younger readers would most likely find this rather dull; These are not big porblems, so I hope you can fix them!

Stormcrow Out!




User avatar
134 Reviews


Points: 74
Reviews: 134

Donate
Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:34 pm
DrFeelGood wrote a review...



Hi there, DrFeelGood here to review this unique piece

Wow, that's an amazing article. There are so many things to sit back and admire about this piece.

1. Written with thorough research:

There are so many facts given here, some of them are actually hard to believe. Particularly Sanborn's descriptions but when you attach 'facts' with strong evidences I am left wondering.

This is amazing article because this looked more like a conspiracy but with evidences, I can't say that.

2. A unique theme:

I haven't read such an offbeat article in quite a while It's a very fresh piece for me. Good to see someone going completely out of standard write-up mode and doing something different.

I am also happy that this piece was not just engaging, it was also informative. Thank you for posting it here. I read something unexpected today. Great article. Well researched!




User avatar


Points: 792
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:18 pm
sweetjane says...



This is really fascinating. Im also glad that you included credible sources in your bibliography as the whole thing sounds conspiracy theory like.




Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 94

Donate
Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:08 am
JumpyDot says...



That was fascinating! Thanks for posting this!




KatGirl says...


No problem :)




cron
I think Amelia Earhart wants you to get some ice cream.
— SilverNight