z

Young Writers Society



The Experiment - Chap. 2

by KJ


If you haven't read chapter one, you'll definitely need to go back and so do; you won't have any idea what's going on otherwise. Enjoy the read, and please be as harsh as possible.

Chapter Two

There was a knock at our front door the following day, around three. Without looking out the window, I knew who it was. Jensen Thorn had been coming to see me every day since school had closed. It wasn’t his persistence I found annoying, really—just him.

“I can’t do anything today,” I said as I opened the door. He jumped when my voice sliced through the air, whipping around to face me.

Jensen was a jumpy kid, had been since we were toddlers in preschool. He hadn’t changed since those preschool days, either. Every time I saw him, he was wearing jeans and a long-sleeved, button-up shirt. His short hair was blond and spiked, and he had a small, freckled nose.

“Hi, Wren,” he greeted, pushing his sliver-rimmed glasses up that small nose. He always did that, and I hardly noticed the habit anymore. “You weren’t answering the phone, so I thought I’d just…” he trailed off, looking awkward on the front step. He waited, hoping for an invitation inside. Like he did every other day.

Too much had happened, and all my patience had drained out of me sometime during the long night. Sleep had evaded me completely. I kept picturing my brother falling out of a plane, being eaten by a tiger, trapped in a room and starved to death.

“Listen, I’m busy today, all right?” I snapped. I wasn’t, but I’d never encouraged Jensen, and today was no exception.

His face fell, and he nodded. “Oh, okay. Sure. No problem. I get it.”

“Good.” I went to close the door, but he suddenly straightened and stuck his foot in the small space.

“H-hey, I forgot,” he mumbled.

I sighed. “What did you forget?”

He swallowed visibly. “Goody Meyers is moving. Remember her?” At my impatient nod he went on, “Well, she’s having a party, a sort of going-away thing, I guess. She wanted me t-to give you this.” He took a piece of paper out of his back pocket and held it out to me.

I snatched it away quickly, wanting to get back inside. Mom was waking up soon, and I’d been planning on bringing her breakfast in bed. She’d always cheered up a little when I’d done it in the past. “Thanks.”

I tried to close the door again, but Jensen didn’t move his foot. He was looking down again, pushing his glasses up some more.

“What else, Jensen?” I jerked the door open to glare at him fully now.

He kept swallowing, fiddling with the cuffs of his shirt. “Well, uh, that is, I…”

I sighed a second time, suddenly hating myself. He hadn’t done anything to me, really, and I had no right to treat him like this. “It’s okay, Jensen, just spit it out.”

The boy actually looked me in the eye. “I was wondering if you would… if you would be my date to Goody’s party?”

It wasn’t the first time Jensen had asked me out. After all, he’d had a crush on me since that first day we met in the preschool. I’d been wearing pink overalls, him his long-sleeved shirt and jeans. They’d just been a smaller size, was all.

I couldn’t look at him any other way. He was sort of an annoying shadow I’d always put up with. It wasn’t hard to discourage him—Jensen was persistent, sure, but he wasn’t obnoxious.

I took a breath. “Look, I—”

“Oh, hey, Jensen.” Mattie walked up behind me, directing a friendly grin at the boy still standing on our doorstep. “What’s going on?”

Jensen coughed out a greeting. “We were just talking about a party,” I told my brother, glaring at him. Leave so I can take care of this, I mentally told him. But either Mattie wasn’t catching my brain waves or he was ignoring them.

“A party, huh? And Jensen, you’re, what, asking Wren to go with you?”

Jensen blushed to the roots of his hair. I made a sound in my throat, elbowing Mattie hard. He moved out of my elbowing range. “Well, Jensen?”

“I-I was, in fact, asking… not that I would, er, force anyone, that is to say—”

“You should go, Wrenny,” Mattie said to me, grinning. If looks could kill, he would definitely be dead. “When is it?” He was talking to Jensen again.

He stammered out an answer. Friday at seven.

With a sinking heart, I could already see where Mattie was trying to go with this. I jumped in hurriedly before he could do anymore damage. “It’s a nice idea, Jensen, but I’m actually—”

“—completely available. Feel free to swing by and pick her up around seven,” Mattie interjected smoothly. I hissed as I exhaled.

Jensen’s eyes had widened. He looked from me to Mattie quickly, a sort of sly look coming into those wide eyes. Then, so unexpectedly that I wouldn’t have known him capable of it, Jensen said clear as a bell, “Sounds like a plan.” And before I could utter another word of protest, he turned around and was running down the front steps. He was gone when I blinked again.

I jerked around and shoved Mattie, hissing some more. “You slimeball! What are you doing?”

He grinned down at me, unrepentant. “You need to go out and have a good time, Wrenny. You’ve been cooped up around here for too long.”

I slammed the door shut behind us, lowering my voice so I wouldn’t wake Mom up. “That’s my decision, isn’t it? I mean, God, Mattie, Jensen Thorn?”

“What’s wrong with Jensen Thorn?” he asked innocently.

I pushed past him, swearing under my breath. “You always have to stick your oar in, don’t you? Couldn’t you have done that when Willis Hanson stopped by? Or Phil Hendrick?”

Mattie followed me into the kitchen. “I don’t know what you ever saw in those two assholes. At least I know Jensen won’t touch you. You’re safe enough with him.”

“Is that what this is all about?” I spun around to poke him in the chest. “You just trying to get me with a guy who’s about as exciting as Calculus? Someone you know wouldn’t have the guts to actually give me a good time?”

“I don’t like your definition of a good time,” Mattie growled. “I can’t always be around to watch over you, Wren, and I sure as hell am not going to follow you around to these parties you go to.”

“I never asked you to!” I turned away from him to yank a drawer open. I pulled out a pan and set it on the stove, turning it to medium heat. “I don’t need you to protect me all the time!”

“’Course not. And you especially didn’t need me that night at Blue’s, did you?”

I stiffened. It hurt, it really did, that he’d brought that night up. He knew I didn’t like to talk about it. I thought about those boys in that alley. Hey, little girl. You look cold. Want us to warm you up? Hands everywhere. Air on my bare skin. Laughter, smell of alcohol on his breath.

Suddenly Mattie groaned. “Aw, I’m sorry.”

I felt his arms go around me. He held me against his chest, trying to make me loosen up, to make me forget. “Don’t hate me,” he whispered against the back of my neck.

The feel of his hard arms reminded me of the rest of that night. My brother, my friend and protector, bursting out the door and seeing me trapped in that other boy’s arms. Get your hands off her. Sounds of blows. Grunts of pain. Pounding footsteps, retreating. Then those arms, those arms I knew so well, arms that would never hurt me, gathering me up, holding me close. Wrenny? His hand smoothing my hair back. When I didn’t respond, he began to rock, sliding down the wall until he was sitting on the hard, wet ground. When you look up and see the stars, just know that I’m not very far. It’s a short journey from this land of above… just know that it’s you I love.

“I could never hate you, Mattie,” I murmured, pressing tighter against him. It had always been just the two of us, as kids and now grown, against the world.

“We all have a choice, Wren. And the choices we make will affect the rest of our lives,” Mattie said in my hair. “I just don’t want you to forget what it’s like to be a kid. You’re still so young. But if you really don’t want to go to this party, I’m not going to make you go.”

I said nothing; only pressed closer.

We stood there for a moment, just holding each other. Finally, Mattie cleared his throat and untangled himself from me. There were two high spots of color on his face, and he stepped away. “So, you… you, uh, want some help with this?”

I frowned, wondering at his sudden awkwardness. I mentally shrugged, chalking it up to some boy thing I didn’t understand. “Okay,” I agreed. “The eggs are on the bottom shelf.” I motioned at the fridge.

With that, everything was back to normal. We still had to talk about Friday night and Jensen Thorn, but I wasn’t going to bring it up for a while. For once, I wanted to have a normal day, without any pain or reminders of what had been.

* * *

The experiments always began on the second Monday of each month, and the duration varied. One day, two weeks, two months. You just never knew.

I breathed easier when the month’s experiment—a mother’s small child was taken from her and she was given twenty-four hours to find him in the entire city of Los Angeles, with small clues along the way, or she would never see him again—began and ended without Mattie being involved. That didn’t mean he was safe, of course, but his chances of being chosen were less with each day that passed and more names were dropped into the boxes.

Friday neared with horrible swiftness, as well. To my consternation, Mom was too deep into her current rut to say anything against my going, and my brother was oddly insistent that I didn’t call Jensen to cancel. So I reluctantly phoned Goody to let her know we were coming, and Mattie let up, satisfied.

That feeling was growing in me again. I sensed it, black and smothering, rising, rising. I hadn’t had it since that night at Blue’s, but here it was, building once more. It had been around since I was a small child. Restlessness. Maybe it was the depression, maybe it was the terror of that night I was attacked, but I’d thought it was gone for good when it didn’t come up again. It didn’t bode well.

“What are you so worried about?” Mattie smiled at me indulgently when I voiced my concerns to him. “What’ll you do? Explode? It’s a going-away party, Wren. Her parents will be there. Relax. They won’t pull out the six-packs as long as the adults are around.”

“How do you know her parents are going to be there?” I asked suspiciously.

He shook his head, grabbing his car keys from the kitchen counter. “I looked at the invitation and called Goody. Did you really think I was going to let you go anywhere without checking up on it?”

“You’re not my father,” I called after him, resenting the way he thought he had so much control over me. But he does, I realized with a start. Mattie was already gone, off to a date with Beth. Hopefully she stepped in a puddle and choked on her gum. Then maybe he would dump her.

The wheel was turning. Time was passing. Friday, the day that would change my life forever—I just didn’t know it—pounced on me. I woke up that morning and just lay in bed for a minute, hugging my pillow close. I hummed my mom’s lullaby, thinking of her. Today she’d said she was going to go job-hunting again, and maybe stop by and visit some friends. Mattie was off doing the same. I was on my own.

Then I remembered the day and groaned. Friday. I hate you. I could imagine Jensen pulling up in his mother’s dented Ford, tugging at the collar of his button-up shirt. He would try to make conversation, commenting on the economy and the outrageous gas prices… if he even had the guts to talk at all.

I dragged my butt out of bed and showered. I was in a nostalgic mood today, thinking of the good times. I should have been going to school right now, should have been parking in the lot and laughing at Willis’s antics as he tried to do a three-sixty with his pickup. I should have been walking to first hour with a group of my friends, gossiping about who was pregnant and who crashed what party. Ah, the good old days.

Jeez, I was only seventeen. This was getting depressing.

Snorting to myself—depressing—I stood in front of my closet, wrapped in a towel. What did one wear to a pity date? I didn’t want to dazzle the poor boy, no, of course not. But I didn’t exactly want to go scrub; that just wasn’t me. So… average? What I wore every other day? Nah, too boring. Besides, I hardly ever went to parties anymore. I wanted to take the chance to dress up a little.

So… half and half? A little casual, a little classy. Perfect.

Smiling to myself, I selected some jeans that fit my curves just right and a white blouse with a red ribbon holding the entire front together. It was kind of sexy, and it made my skin look tanner.

I surveyed my reflection in the mirror, and nodded in approval. I was actually getting excited, despite the date coming to pick me up soon. Maybe Mattie was right. Maybe tonight would be fun.

Shaking my wet hair and beginning to towel-dry it, I kept looking at the mirror. I looked at my long legs, my turned-up nose and my dark hair. What I saw didn’t dissatisfy me, but I frowned. Where was my family? I didn’t see any of them in my features, or even in my figure. No Mom, no Dad, no Mattie. My parents were both blond and freckled; Mom was stocky. Dad and Mattie were taller than me, yes, but they still had the light coloring. I was the pale-skinned, skinny dark one. Why was I so different? What made me stick out like a sore thumb?

“Wren?”

I jumped slightly, and moved out to the hall. I didn’t say anything, but I could hear Mom sniffling. She called my name again, and again I didn’t answer. I don’t know why. But I just couldn’t bring myself to go back into her dark room, feel the anguish in the air, have to see Mom’s anguish even as she dried her tears and tried to hide it. She would smile up at me, trying to be strong. For me. For Mattie.

“Wren?”

Cringing, I took a step back in my room. Mom must have decided that I wasn’t in the house, because she fell silent again. I stood there for a few more minutes, staring at her door and not thinking about anything.

Then, so softly I barely heard it, Mom sobbed out a name: “Daniel.” She sniffed and was quiet again.

I bit my lip. Dad, I thought. How could you leave her like this? But what my heart was screaming, what I tried to deny the hardest, was another question: How could you leave me like this? Was I really that selfish? Almost against my will, I remembered the last time I’d seen him, the last time I’d ever talked to him and looked at his face.

“What are you doing?”

Dad stood in the doorway and grinned at me. I glanced up, smiling back. “What does it look like I’m doing? We need to raise money so we can keep the school open. The girls and I have put together a fundraiser.”

“A carwash?” Dad lifted an eyebrow. “You really think that’s what people need in times like this?”

I stuck my tongue out at him, momentarily distracted from the flyers I was making. “People still want their cars nice and clean, right? And what’s better than a bunch of girls in bikinis hosing it down for an amazing price of two dollars?”

“Two dollars?” Dad laughed. “That’s robbery! No one’s going to pay it, sweetie.”

I looked back down at the flyers, drawing a sun on one corner of a paper. “See, Dad, that’s where you’ve gone wrong. You have to have a little faith.”

Dad got quiet. He hovered in the doorway of the kitchen. When I looked up, frowning, I saw that he was smiling still, but the curve of his lips had turned sad.

“You’re right, honey,” he said softly. “You’re absolutely right.”

I didn’t like how serious he’d gotten. I rolled my eyes, sighing dramatically. “Haven’t you figured it out yet? I’m always right.”

Dad didn’t reply. And when I glanced up at the doorway again, he was gone.

I went back into my room and shut the door. For the remainder of the time I spent getting ready, I pretended like I couldn’t hear Mom in her room, crying. Always crying.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 1121
Reviews: 28

Donate
Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:08 am
mandeyy wrote a review...




Geez , yet another amazing story ?
Ridiculous ;D

If looks could kill, he would definitely be dead. “When is it?” He was talking to Jensen again.

I thought this was awkward . Maybe change it like ... " He turned to Jensen. 'When is it?'"

And is Wren her full name or is it short for something ? I've never heard it before (:

And I foresee something with Mattie and Wren , when she finds out she isn't part of the family for real ?
;D
But that's just silly old me thinking .




User avatar
263 Reviews


Points: 4362
Reviews: 263

Donate
Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:38 pm
Angels-Symphony says...



Here as promised ;) Let's hope I do a good job despite my critiquing mood-swings I've been having lately.


“I can’t do anything today,” I said as I opened the door. He jumped when my voice sliced through the air, whipping around to face me.

The dialogue here is strange. Usually when someone annoying who you'd really prefer to be without comes to your door you'd say something like "I'm busy" or "Go away" or maybe, "I don't have time for this/today. But definitely not "I can't do anything today." The word "anything" makes it a bit whiny.

"Voice sliced through my air" is a bit dramatic. And I know Jensen is a jumpy kid but "whipping around to face me" doesn't seem to fit. If you're jumpy or nervous and suddenly someone appears behind you, you'd flinch or something like that. You don't usually turn face-to-face with your pursuer.


Jensen was a jumpy kid, had been since we were toddlers in preschool. He hadn’t changed since those preschool days, either.

This two sentences are repetitive. Delete the second sentence.


“Hi, Wren,” he greeted, pushing his sliver-rimmed glasses up that small nose.

Something seems wrong with the wording here. Add "me" after "greeted" because Jensen needs someone to greet.
"Sliver" should be "silver". Just a typo I think.

He always did that, and I hardly noticed the habit anymore.

You say that Wren hardly notices the habit anymore, but she notices it as she describes it, doesn't she?

Maybe something like "He always did that, but unlike when I first met him, it didn't bother me.


“You weren’t answering the phone, so I thought I’d just…” he trailed off, looking awkward on the front step.

This is too tell-y. What does someon look like when they're awkward on the front step?

Is he biting his lip? His sweaty fists clenched at his sides? His eyes wandering every direction? Trembling? What?

He waited, hoping for an invitation inside. Like he did every other day.

Should be a single sentence:
"He waited, hoping for an invitation inside like he did every other day.

Too much had happened, and all my patience had drained out of me sometime during the long night. Sleep had evaded me completely. I kept picturing my brother falling out of a plane, being eaten by a tiger, trapped in a room and starved to death.

I know you say "sleep evaded [Wren] completely" and stuff, but this is lacking emotion and imagery. No feeling or emotion is being emitted from your character. I don't feel anything.

Are her sides hurting? Is her heart throbbing? Veins pulsing? Teeth grinding? Eyes bloodshot? Lips chapped? Eyes wild? Body sore?

KJ, you are very good and painting your stories, so paint here ;)

“Listen, I’m busy today, all right?” I snapped.

Maybe it's just me, but this sounds sassy. When you're worried for someone dear to you, you don't really get angry when you're talking to other people. You're usually angry at yourself and sad or solemn or serious to a point where it seems blunt and rude. Rude, but not angry, really.


I wasn’t, but I’d never encouraged Jensen, and today was no exception.

You don't need to tell the readers that she's actually not busy. It's really implied.

I sighed a second time, suddenly hating myself. He hadn’t done anything to me, really, and I had no right to treat him like this.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you're MC is the type of person that tells rather than shows. It's apart of her personality?

I hissed as I exhaled.

"Hiss" doesn't feel like the right word. She should be more shocked? Upset at her brother? Is Jensen her stress ball?
----------------

Those were all the things I caught ^^

The only other thing is that plot or conflict is developing as fast as it should. There are some extras here and there.

Remember only to include what contributes to the plot ;) And I think you'll be good to go.

-Shina




User avatar
263 Reviews


Points: 4362
Reviews: 263

Donate
Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:53 am
Angels-Symphony wrote a review...



Hey KJ ^^ Here to do my second review on the experiment ;)
I'm multi-tasking, so I hope this still goes well =_=

“I can’t do anything today,” I said as I opened the door. He jumped when my voice sliced through the air, whipping around to face me.

First things first, I think this dialogue is a little... Well it's not what people would say when they're try to avoid someone. If someone asked you to go hog-hunting and you really hate hog-hunting, you wouldn't say "I can't do anything today." You'd probably say something like "I'm busy," or "Maybe another time."

It's also a bit dramatic when you say "my voice sliced through the air, whipping around to face me."
Jensen may be a jumpy kid, but Wren doesn't seem like a character who sneaks up on people. Change the wording on that and I also think instead of having Jensen "whip around" he could flinch or something. Usually when there's something scary that suddenly appears, you don't immediately jump to face it, you flinch, or something of that sort.

Jensen was a jumpy kid, had been since we were toddlers in preschool. He hadn’t changed since those preschool days, either.

These two sentences are repeats. Scrap the second sentence.


“Hi, Wren,” he greeted, pushing his sliver-rimmed glasses up that small nose.

Add "me" after "greeted" because Jensen needs someone to greet.

He always did that, and I hardly noticed the habit anymore. “You weren’t answering the phone, so I thought I’d just…” he trailed off, looking awkward on the front step.

"looking awkward" is really tell-y. Maybe mention some of his movements like biting his lip, trembling, or an uncertain smile.

He waited, hoping for an invitation inside. Like he did every other day.

I think these should be put together:
"He waited, hoping for an invitation inside, like he did every other day."

Too much had happened, and all my patience had drained out of me sometime during the long night. Sleep had evaded me completely. I kept picturing my brother falling out of a plane, being eaten by a tiger, trapped in a room and starved to death.

Needs more emotion! I know you say that she can't sleep and her patience had drained out of her, but her brother is going to be one of them. Tossing and turning in bed? Sweat forming on her brow? Heavy breathing? Heart pounding?

“Listen, I’m busy today, all right?” I snapped.

"Snapped" sounds a little sassy when Wren is actually just worried. When people are worried about others they don't usually get sassy, but more quiet or solemn.
I wasn’t, but I’d never encouraged Jensen, and today was no exception.
His face fell, and he nodded. “Oh, okay. Sure. No problem. I get it.”
“Good.” I went to close the door, but he suddenly straightened and stuck his foot in the small space.
“H-hey, I forgot,” he mumbled.
I sighed. “What did you forget?”
He swallowed visibly. “Goody Meyers is moving. Remember her?” At my impatient nod he went on, “Well, she’s having a party, a sort of going-away thing, I guess. She wanted me t-to give you this.” He took a piece of paper out of his back pocket and held it out to me.
I snatched it away quickly, wanting to get back inside. Mom was waking up soon, and I’d been planning on bringing her breakfast in bed. She’d always cheered up a little when I’d done it in the past. “Thanks.”
I tried to close the door again, but Jensen didn’t move his foot. He was looking down again, pushing his glasses up some more.
“What else, Jensen?” I jerked the door open to glare at him fully now.
He kept swallowing, fiddling with the cuffs of his shirt. “Well, uh, that is, I…”
I sighed a second time, suddenly hating myself. He hadn’t done anything to me, really, and I had no right to treat him like this. “It’s okay, Jensen, just spit it out.”
The boy actually looked me in the eye. “I was wondering if you would… if you would be my date to Goody’s party?”
It wasn’t the first time Jensen had asked me out. After all, he’d had a crush on me since that first day we met in the preschool. I’d been wearing pink overalls, him his long-sleeved shirt and jeans. They’d just been a smaller size, was all.
I couldn’t look at him any other way. He was sort of an annoying shadow I’d always put up with. It wasn’t hard to discourage him—Jensen was persistent, sure, but he wasn’t obnoxious.
I took a breath. “Look, I—”
“Oh, hey, Jensen.” Mattie walked up behind me, directing a friendly grin at the boy still standing on our doorstep. “What’s going on?”
Jensen coughed out a greeting. “We were just talking about a party,” I told my brother, glaring at him. Leave so I can take care of this, I mentally told him. But either Mattie wasn’t catching my brain waves or he was ignoring them.
“A party, huh? And Jensen, you’re, what, asking Wren to go with you?”
Jensen blushed to the roots of his hair. I made a sound in my throat, elbowing Mattie hard. He moved out of my elbowing range. “Well, Jensen?”
“I-I was, in fact, asking… not that I would, er, force anyone, that is to say—”
“You should go, Wrenny,” Mattie said to me, grinning. If looks could kill, he would definitely be dead. “When is it?” He was talking to Jensen again.
He stammered out an answer. Friday at seven.
With a sinking heart, I could already see where Mattie was trying to go with this. I jumped in hurriedly before he could do anymore damage. “It’s a nice idea, Jensen, but I’m actually—”
“—completely available. Feel free to swing by and pick her up around seven,” Mattie interjected smoothly. I hissed as I exhaled.
Jensen’s eyes had widened. He looked from me to Mattie quickly, a sort of sly look coming into those wide eyes. Then, so unexpectedly that I wouldn’t have known him capable of it, Jensen said clear as a bell, “Sounds like a plan.” And before I could utter another word of protest, he turned around and was running down the front steps. He was gone when I blinked again.
I jerked around and shoved Mattie, hissing some more. “You slimeball! What are you doing?”
He grinned down at me, unrepentant. “You need to go out and have a good time, Wrenny. You’ve been cooped up around here for too long.”
I slammed the door shut behind us, lowering my voice so I wouldn’t wake Mom up. “That’s my decision, isn’t it? I mean, God, Mattie, Jensen Thorn?”
“What’s wrong with Jensen Thorn?” he asked innocently.
I pushed past him, swearing under my breath. “You always have to stick your oar in, don’t you? Couldn’t you have done that when Willis Hanson stopped by? Or Phil Hendrick?”
Mattie followed me into the kitchen. “I don’t know what you ever saw in those two assholes. At least I know Jensen won’t touch you. You’re safe enough with him.”
“Is that what this is all about?” I spun around to poke him in the chest. “You just trying to get me with a guy who’s about as exciting as Calculus? Someone you know wouldn’t have the guts to actually give me a good time?”
“I don’t like your definition of a good time,” Mattie growled. “I can’t always be around to watch over you, Wren, and I sure as hell am not going to follow you around to these parties you go to.”
“I never asked you to!” I turned away from him to yank a drawer open. I pulled out a pan and set it on the stove, turning it to medium heat. “I don’t need you to protect me all the time!”
“’Course not. And you especially didn’t need me that night at Blue’s, did you?”
I stiffened. It hurt, it really did, that he’d brought that night up. He knew I didn’t like to talk about it. I thought about those boys in that alley. Hey, little girl. You look cold. Want us to warm you up? Hands everywhere. Air on my bare skin. Laughter, smell of alcohol on his breath.
Suddenly Mattie groaned. “Aw, I’m sorry.”
I felt his arms go around me. He held me against his chest, trying to make me loosen up, to make me forget. “Don’t hate me,” he whispered against the back of my neck.
The feel of his hard arms reminded me of the rest of that night. My brother, my friend and protector, bursting out the door and seeing me trapped in that other boy’s arms. Get your hands off her. Sounds of blows. Grunts of pain. Pounding footsteps, retreating. Then those arms, those arms I knew so well, arms that would never hurt me, gathering me up, holding me close. Wrenny? His hand smoothing my hair back. When I didn’t respond, he began to rock, sliding down the wall until he was sitting on the hard, wet ground. When you look up and see the stars, just know that I’m not very far. It’s a short journey from this land of above… just know that it’s you I love.
“I could never hate you, Mattie,” I murmured, pressing tighter against him. It had always been just the two of us, as kids and now grown, against the world.
“We all have a choice, Wren. And the choices we make will affect the rest of our lives,” Mattie said in my hair. “I just don’t want you to forget what it’s like to be a kid. You’re still so young. But if you really don’t want to go to this party, I’m not going to make you go.”
I said nothing; only pressed closer.
We stood there for a moment, just holding each other. Finally, Mattie cleared his throat and untangled himself from me. There were two high spots of color on his face, and he stepped away. “So, you… you, uh, want some help with this?”
I frowned, wondering at his sudden awkwardness. I mentally shrugged, chalking it up to some boy thing I didn’t understand. “Okay,” I agreed. “The eggs are on the bottom shelf.” I motioned at the fridge.
With that, everything was back to normal. We still had to talk about Friday night and Jensen Thorn, but I wasn’t going to bring it up for a while. For once, I wanted to have a normal day, without any pain or reminders of what had been.

* * *

The experiments always began on the second Monday of each month, and the duration varied. One day, two weeks, two months. You just never knew.
I breathed easier when the month’s experiment—a mother’s small child was taken from her and she was given twenty-four hours to find him in the entire city of Los Angeles, with small clues along the way, or she would never see him again—began and ended without Mattie being involved. That didn’t mean he was safe, of course, but his chances of being chosen were less with each day that passed and more names were dropped into the boxes.
Friday neared with horrible swiftness, as well. To my consternation, Mom was too deep into her current rut to say anything against my going, and my brother was oddly insistent that I didn’t call Jensen to cancel. So I reluctantly phoned Goody to let her know we were coming, and Mattie let up, satisfied.
That feeling was growing in me again. I sensed it, black and smothering, rising, rising. I hadn’t had it since that night at Blue’s, but here it was, building once more. It had been around since I was a small child. Restlessness. Maybe it was the depression, maybe it was the terror of that night I was attacked, but I’d thought it was gone for good when it didn’t come up again. It didn’t bode well.
“What are you so worried about?” Mattie smiled at me indulgently when I voiced my concerns to him. “What’ll you do? Explode? It’s a going-away party, Wren. Her parents will be there. Relax. They won’t pull out the six-packs as long as the adults are around.”
“How do you know her parents are going to be there?” I asked suspiciously.
He shook his head, grabbing his car keys from the kitchen counter. “I looked at the invitation and called Goody. Did you really think I was going to let you go anywhere without checking up on it?”
“You’re not my father,” I called after him, resenting the way he thought he had so much control over me. But he does, I realized with a start. Mattie was already gone, off to a date with Beth. Hopefully she stepped in a puddle and choked on her gum. Then maybe he would dump her.
The wheel was turning. Time was passing. Friday, the day that would change my life forever—I just didn’t know it—pounced on me. I woke up that morning and just lay in bed for a minute, hugging my pillow close. I hummed my mom’s lullaby, thinking of her. Today she’d said she was going to go job-hunting again, and maybe stop by and visit some friends. Mattie was off doing the same. I was on my own.
Then I remembered the day and groaned. Friday. I hate you. I could imagine Jensen pulling up in his mother’s dented Ford, tugging at the collar of his button-up shirt. He would try to make conversation, commenting on the economy and the outrageous gas prices… if he even had the guts to talk at all.
I dragged my butt out of bed and showered. I was in a nostalgic mood today, thinking of the good times. I should have been going to school right now, should have been parking in the lot and laughing at Willis’s antics as he tried to do a three-sixty with his pickup. I should have been walking to first hour with a group of my friends, gossiping about who was pregnant and who crashed what party. Ah, the good old days.
Jeez, I was only seventeen. This was getting depressing.
Snorting to myself—depressing—I stood in front of my closet, wrapped in a towel. What did one wear to a pity date? I didn’t want to dazzle the poor boy, no, of course not. But I didn’t exactly want to go scrub; that just wasn’t me. So… average? What I wore every other day? Nah, too boring. Besides, I hardly ever went to parties anymore. I wanted to take the chance to dress up a little.
So… half and half? A little casual, a little classy. Perfect.
Smiling to myself, I selected some jeans that fit my curves just right and a white blouse with a red ribbon holding the entire front together. It was kind of sexy, and it made my skin look tanner.
I surveyed my reflection in the mirror, and nodded in approval. I was actually getting excited, despite the date coming to pick me up soon. Maybe Mattie was right. Maybe tonight would be fun.
Shaking my wet hair and beginning to towel-dry it, I kept looking at the mirror. I looked at my long legs, my turned-up nose and my dark hair. What I saw didn’t dissatisfy me, but I frowned. Where was my family? I didn’t see any of them in my features, or even in my figure. No Mom, no Dad, no Mattie. My parents were both blond and freckled; Mom was stocky. Dad and Mattie were taller than me, yes, but they still had the light coloring. I was the pale-skinned, skinny dark one. Why was I so different? What made me stick out like a sore thumb?
“Wren?”
I jumped slightly, and moved out to the hall. I didn’t say anything, but I could hear Mom sniffling. She called my name again, and again I didn’t answer. I don’t know why. But I just couldn’t bring myself to go back into her dark room, feel the anguish in the air, have to see Mom’s anguish even as she dried her tears and tried to hide it. She would smile up at me, trying to be strong. For me. For Mattie.
“Wren?”
Cringing, I took a step back in my room. Mom must have decided that I wasn’t in the house, because she fell silent again. I stood there for a few more minutes, staring at her door and not thinking about anything.
Then, so softly I barely heard it, Mom sobbed out a name: “Daniel.” She sniffed and was quiet again.
I bit my lip. Dad, I thought. How could you leave her like this? But what my heart was screaming, what I tried to deny the hardest, was another question: How could you leave me like this? Was I really that selfish? Almost against my will, I remembered the last time I’d seen him, the last time I’d ever talked to him and looked at his face.
“What are you doing?”
Dad stood in the doorway and grinned at me. I glanced up, smiling back. “What does it look like I’m doing? We need to raise money so we can keep the school open. The girls and I have put together a fundraiser.”
“A carwash?” Dad lifted an eyebrow. “You really think that’s what people need in times like this?”
I stuck my tongue out at him, momentarily distracted from the flyers I was making. “People still want their cars nice and clean, right? And what’s better than a bunch of girls in bikinis hosing it down for an amazing price of two dollars?”
“Two dollars?” Dad laughed. “That’s robbery! No one’s going to pay it, sweetie.”
I looked back down at the flyers, drawing a sun on one corner of a paper. “See, Dad, that’s where you’ve gone wrong. You have to have a little faith.”
Dad got quiet. He hovered in the doorway of the kitchen. When I looked up, frowning, I saw that he was smiling still, but the curve of his lips had turned sad.
“You’re right, honey,” he said softly. “You’re absolutely right.”
I didn’t like how serious he’d gotten. I rolled my eyes, sighing dramatically. “Haven’t you figured it out yet? I’m always right.”
Dad didn’t reply. And when I glanced up at the doorway again, he was gone.

I went back into my room and shut the door. For the remainder of the time I spent getting ready, I pretended like I couldn’t hear Mom in her room, crying. Always crying.[/quote]




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1059
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:06 pm
wolf4 wrote a review...



Hey KJ!

I'm loving this story so far (probably because I have such an obsession with post-apocalypse societies.) But never mind that. You have done so much better in this chapter that the first on with describing the characters and scenery. I love Wren's character! She kind of reminds me of Katniss from the Hunger Games. I'm also a little confused on one thing: what happened to Earth that left it in such a poor state? War? Depression? Depleation of natural resources? Oh well, just try to explain it a little more in coming chapters.

Be sure to PM me when you post the next chapter! I can't wait to read it!

~Wolf




User avatar
695 Reviews


Points: 2242
Reviews: 695

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:03 pm
Angel of Death wrote a review...



Hey KJ!!

It's good to see you're posting more of this!

There was a knock at our front door the following day, around three. Without looking out the window, I knew who it was. Jensen Thorn had been coming to see me every day since school had closed. It wasn’t his persistence I found annoying, really—just him.


Haha, I love this!
“Hi, Wren,” he greeted, pushing his sliver-rimmed glasses up that small nose.


I'm sure you mean 'silver-rimmed' instead of 'sliver-rimmed' and you can do without the underlined bit.
He always did that, and I hardly noticed the habit anymore.


You really don't need this sentence.
“What did you forget?”


I think should just say "What?"

I went back into my room and shut the door. For the remainder of the time I spent getting ready, I pretended like I couldn’t hear Mom in her room, crying. Always crying.


Great way to end this.

Overall, I am really liking this story. Wren is turning out to be a great character. She's not perfect and I can really relate to her. The scene between her and her brother, made me cry a little and the dialogue is so believable. Please, please, please don't give up on this, I know that you have something here.

Keep writing,

~Angel

*gold star*




User avatar
582 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 582

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:49 am
KJ says...



Thanks Asxz. I really appreciate the encouragment :)




User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 9593
Reviews: 216

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:30 am
asxz says...



I love it. I really can't get a conversation going in my writing, and you do it so well...
I'm looking forwards to the rest of the experiments!





The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune