The Experiment - Chap. 1

by KJ

So I've been working on this new story for a while. I haven't been on YWS or talked to you guys in what seems like forever, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get back onto the site a little. Sorry if it's long.

Anyway, tell me what you really think - there are some loose ends and errors, I know. I've been plowing through this without looking back. So any kind of critisism would be helpful.

Chapter One

Turning, turning, the wheel is always turning. It groans, it creaks, it laughs and mourns as its rotations change the course of lives everywhere.

The first time I heard about the experiments, the only thing I felt was curiosity. Everyone at school talked about them, feared them. My mom wouldn’t even listen to me when I brought it up—apparently her friends had been talking, too. The experiments were horrible. They were hard to watch. They were exhilarating.

The experiments were paid for and born from some government officials who hoped that the inspired fear and adrenaline might bring us out of the depression. That the money from the ratings would boost the economy and would bring us all together as a people. The experiments themselves were invented by a organization of physiatrists and scientists, intelligent people who were testing the extent of how far a human can go, how much a human mind can bend, what the body and sanity can endure.

Of course, I didn’t know any of this until later. Much, much later, when it was too late to do anything about it.... if I even could have.

The participants of the experiments had, oddly enough, entered willingly into it. Every month there was a big sign-up in the center of each capital, and names were written and dropped into the boxes with slots in them. I never saw the boxes, but Mattie told me about them. And each person who put their name in was given a sum of money, a small sum that might pay the bill for that month of buy some food for his or her family. Though the experiments reeked of death, suspense, and horror, they did bring some a little hope. Which I suppose was the government’s intention.

I was never supposed to be involved. I was as wary as the rest of them, and was content to watch from the safety of our cold living room. But a wheel was turning, spinning out of control, about to steal me away to a place I never wanted to go. Maybe if I had known, it could have been stopped. But I didn’t know—only one person did, and he wouldn’t stop the wheel for the world—and with that, my fate was sealed.

Sometimes I imagine my name falling through the darkness of that box in the capital, falling towards the bottom slowly, reluctant to touch the ground and blend in among all the other names that meant nothing to the government. But it did land, it did blend… just not well enough. Sometimes I imagine a hand reaching down, down, my name shining out from all the others, and being picked up. My life in that hand, and that person uncaring.

“Turn that off, Wren,” Mom would say, shuddering when she walked in the house and saw what was on the TV. I harbored a horrid fascination for the experiments, one that I tried to hide from all my friends. I didn’t want to be like the rest of them, talking about who was the hottest guy or who was the weakest and was going to fail the experiment.

Each experiment was different. Most of them involved death—which was the danger in signing up. You just never knew. Each one required a particular set of skills, whether it be archery, living in the wild, or reading quickly. A couple times the circumstances of the experiment allowed only those who were small in stature to survive—the taller ones, the larger men and women, didn’t. Privately, I called the experiments a game of chance. You just never knew.

One month for the experiment ten people—they were unsuspecting, having written their names on that paper for the experiments months ago and having forgotten all about it, boarded on a flight to Miami—found themselves given parachutes and were dropped into a remote jungle in southern Africa, each person having nothing but a duffel bag full of an empty water container, a tarp, and some nails. Only two died that time; one was attacked by a tiger, and the other was bitten by some kind of snake. The other eight went home safe, perhaps changed by the horrors of those two weeks in the jungle. But they had money to compensate for that missing piece of themselves.

Another month the experiment only involved two people, brothers actually. They were locked into a room and told that only one could leave that room alive. They would be given no food, no water, nothing. Eventually, they both died in each others arms from lack of food and water, the two of them refusing to harm the other. The public was never told whether or not they’d failed the experiment.

Mattie wouldn’t watch them with me. He was like Mom; he hated hearing about them, seeing them, knowing about them. I once told him about calling it the game of chance, and he snorted. “Game of blood, more like,” he growled. “Stop watching it, Wren. I don’t want you seeing any more.”

My brother had been protective of me my entire life. I was used to his smothering, but my own respect and love for him stopped me from ignoring his wishes.

Our country had been in the depression for four years already, only one of them consumed by the experiments. Slowly, one by one, all my friends either dropped out of school or moved away. The school had made some major cut-backs already, and the students dwindling didn’t help matters much. There were no more school lunches—everyone had to bring their own—and the internet access had long been severed. The library hadn’t seen new books in forever, something I missed greatly, and many teachers I’d liked had been released.

My small family was touched by it, too, of course. But we were slightly better-off than many of our friends. Mom had been putting away money for a long time, unbeknownst to Mattie and me. She’d kept it under the floorboards, rather than in the bank. There was enough to last us a while, and even after the school closed and businesses floundered, we were able to pay the electric bills and buy groceries. The prices had skyrocketed, though, so Mom was that much more careful.

“Don’t waste what electricity we have on that horror,” she said to me about the experiments. “Watch something that will make your forget a while, honey. Something… happy.”

What she didn’t know was that I couldn’t be happy. Not while she walked around the house like a ghost, so pale and silently longing after Dad, who’d left us a couple years back. Not while Mattie left early each morning looking for a job, any job, and always came back with slumped shoulders and a brave smile for me, defeated but trying not to act like it. Not while all my friends were gone, unable to keep in touch, unable to make me laugh as they’d used to.

Mattie’s girlfriend—her dad still had his job and her family was able to stay barely afloat, like us—didn’t try to hide her anger with the government, didn’t try to fake her own happiness. At least I attempted at pretending, for Mom and Mattie. No, Beth voiced every complaint, made known every irritation she had.

“We were once the most powerful country in the world,” she’d rant at dinner. Every time she came over I picked at my food, wishing she would melt into the floor. “What happened to that? How did it happen? You want to know who I blame?” She never gave us a chance to say anything. “I blame the Chinese. We did grow too dependent on them, yes, but they were clever about it. They ripped the rug right out from underneath us when we weren’t looking.”

At this point Mattie would notice I wasn’t eating and he would nudge me with his shoulder gently, winking at me. I would smile back, unable to resist when my brother looked at me like that, like I was the only one that kept him sane.

“Why do you date her, anyway?” I asked him once while I was brushing my teeth. He leaned against the doorframe, watching me. “I mean,” I grabbed my hair, bent down, and spit out the toothpaste, “you two don’t have anything in common. She’s not right for you, Mattie. You love dirt bikes and the American classics. She’s into Mary Kay and the latest Gossip Girl. I don’t get it.”

Mattie laughed, still watching me as I began to floss. Sometimes it was disconcerting, the way he looked at me. But always I would tell myself I was being stupid and ignore the feeling. My brother was the only one I could say what I was actually thinking around; he was the only one I felt like myself when I was with.

“I guess it’s just familiar,” he answered, eyes still twinkling. That’s what I loved about him—no matter how bad things got, no matter what happened, he found a way to look like he’d just won the lottery. He just looks that way when he’s around you, an inner voice told me once in a while. Every time, I shoved it away.

“What do you mean?” I asked him, scowling.

Mattie raked a hand through his hair, sighing. “I’ve been with her for a long time, you know? I know what to expect from her. She knows what to expect from me. It may sound stupid, but that’s the way it is. It’s… comfortable.”

“Wouldn’t you rather have those silly butterflies than be comfortable?” Mattie frowned at me. I flapped my hand, smiling. “You know whenever you’re around someone you really, really like, and they brush your hand, or touch your hair? You get the butterflies in your stomach. It’s the best feeling in the world.”

Mattie grinned. “Mom used to talk about that.”

I nodded, tossing the floss into the garbage. “Yeah, she did.”

We both grew silent after that, thinking about our mother. Dad had left us without saying anything, without an excuse or an apology. She’d never been the same after that. Sure, she had us, but Mattie and I knew it wasn’t enough for her. While Mattie and I had each other to lean on, to talk to, to support, she had no one. There was a fine line between children and parents, and she refused to cross it. She wouldn’t confide in us the way I wished she would. Mom kept it in, protecting us in the only way she knew how.

Time passed. I celebrated my seventeenth birthday quietly—more quietly than I was used to. In past years Mom had thrown me amazing parties, inviting everyone we knew. There was balloons, a huge ice cream cake, music booming throughout the neighborhood.

This time, though, there was only Mattie and Mom. They stood on either side of me and cheered when I blew out the seventeen candles. It was kind of corny, but it was tradition, and I put up with it because I knew it might give Mom a little joy.

“Happy birthday, Wrenny,” Mattie whispered in my ear, squeezing me tight. Mom smoothed my hair back, the simple gesture saying more than words ever could.

We cut the tiny cake, homemade from one of those easy-bake boxes. Mattie wolfed it down, making mmm noises for Mom’s benefit, and I ate a few bites. My appetite had gone when I’d looked up and seen the empty space where Dad should have been. Two birthdays, I thought. Now he’s missed two birthdays.

It was as if Mom was thinking the same thing. She didn’t eat, either. She just pushed the cake around the plate with her fork, looking sad.

Mattie noticed, too, and I saw an odd expression cross his face, a mix of regret and desperate determination. But the expression passed quickly, so quickly I wondered if I’d imagined it, and Mattie grinned at me, himself again.

That night, Mom sang to me before bed, the way she’d done every year since I was born. It was a song that she said her mother used to sing to her. Mom sat on my bed, hugging me closer than she ever had before, and I felt her chest vibrate as her voice traveled through her and burst forth into my tiny room.

When you look up and see the stars, just know that I’m not very far. It’s a short journey from this land of above… just know that it’s you I love.” She repeated it a few times, until my eyes began to flutter.

“Night, Wren,” she whispered, lying me back down against my pillows. She backed away, shutting the door gently. I watched that sliver of light from the hallway shrink, and then disappear entirely.

“Night,” I whispered back, too late.

It was the next day that my life began to crumble. I didn’t know it, but when Mattie found both me and Mom in the kitchen doing the dishes together and announced that he had to tell us something, it was the beginning of the end.

“What is it, Matthew?” Mom inquired, soapy dishwater dripping off the plate she held. It dripped onto the floor, and she didn’t notice in her sudden anxiety. I watched the tiny raindrops fall and splatter against the wooden floor. Drip. Drip.

Mattie hesitated, which was strange in itself; he never hesitated. Then he plunged, “I entered my name for the experiments.”

The plate fell to the floor with a shatter. Shards of white glass went everywhere, sliding towards the doorway where my brother stood.

I moved quickly, gripping Mom around the shoulders to keep her from moving and cutting her feet. Mattie stood frozen, unsure of what to do. Torn between wanting to glare at him and scream, or just stay calm and ask him why, I only hugged Mom tighter. She was silent, staring at her son as if she didn’t know him.

Mattie was talking again, desperate to make it okay again. “You know we needed the money, Mom. Your savings are running out. And what are the chances of my name being drawn, anyway? They say only one out of every hundred thousand, if that.”

“Who’s they?” I snapped, finally finding my tongue again. Mattie turned to me, hurt shadowing those bright blue eyes.

“I had to get the money, Wrenny. You know that.”

I did. We’d heard Mom sobbing in the night, whispering to her friends on the phone, wondering what she should do. I didn’t save enough, she would cry, anguish clear and painful in her voice. Of course my brother would go to such desperate measures to help her—it was who he was. He wouldn’t, couldn’t, stand by and watch one of us worry when he could do something about it.

“There are other ways, Mattie,” I said to him. Mom pulled away from me. She’d recovered, and now walked out of the kitchen, stepping carefully, giving Mattie a wide berth as if he carried some infectious disease.

He let her go, his own pain and anguish obvious on his face. He was trying to hide it, but I could feel it, drifting from his heart to mine. When we were little, we had a gesture, something that used to say what we couldn’t in words. Slowly, my smile trembling, I touched my heart, then reached out and pretended to touch his. He laughed a little, rubbing his face.

“I didn’t know what else to do,” he whispered into his hands. “It’s not that I even signed up for the experiments. I just never thought we would be here.”

I was already moving toward him, and I gently put my arms around his middle, like I used to when we were kids. “No one did,” I said. He was holding me back, his arms the only things holding me to the surface of the earth. He buried his face in my hair.

“We’re going to make it out of this, Wren. We are.”

I believed him.

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:48 pm
EllyMelly wrote a review...

Good Morning Kelsey.

Here are my thoughts and comments upon this chapter:

1) To me the first sentence is supposed to be the hook for the reader to really get into. To grab them in and keep them there. Your hook was a semi-okay. It was confusing and I didn't understand some parts. But, I did read on. So you did have me hook to keep on reading more.

2) I know a lot of people say, "Don't Tell! Just Show!", and I know it's really hard to do so. This chapter had a little more than 50% of telling. I can understand where you're coming from. I have the same problem. Instead of telling about the horrible but exciting experiment, why not show it to us? You did describe the emotions of their mother and the overall crowd of people and how they feel about this new thing. I would be scared too.

3) The plot was a little...different then the ones I usually read. But! That's a great thing to have. A reader always need a change of what they read, and this is what I needed. I do like to see how Mattie and Wren will survive. And the box of names was unique. I like that.

4) Overall: I will keep on reading. So you do have me here as your devoted reader. :D Also as I read this it reminded me a lot of The Forest of Hands and Teeth & The Hunger Games. A combination of both. So I will be back sometime to read more.

Melly

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:22 pm
xxabbyleexx says...

KJ wrote:So I've been working on this new story for a while. I haven't been on YWS or talked to you guys in what seems like forever, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get back onto the site a little. Sorry if it's long.

Chapter One

The experiments were paid for and born from some government officials who hoped that the inspired fear and adrenaline might bring us out of the depression. That the money from the ratings would boost the economy and would bring us all together as a people. The experiments themselves were invented by a organization of physiatrists and scientists, intelligent people who were testing the extent of how far a human can go, how much a human mind can bend, what the body and sanity can endure. It seems like more of a game than experiments. It's like reality T.V. gone too far. Did anyone protest the show? Surely they would be met with at least a bit of anger.
The participants of the experiments had, oddly enough, entered willingly into it. Every month there was a big sign-up in the center of each capital, and names were written and dropped into the boxes with slots in them. I never saw the boxes, but Mattie told me about them. And each person who put their name in was given a sum of money, a small sum that might pay the bill for that month or buy some food for his or her family. Though the experiments reeked of death, suspense, and horror, they did bring some a little hope. Which I suppose was the government’s intention.
“Turn that off, Wren,” Mom would say, shuddering when she walked in the house and saw what was on the TV. I harbored a horrid fascination for the experiments, one that I tried to hide from all my friends. I didn’t want to be like the rest of them, talking about who was the hottest guy or who was the weakest and was going to fail the experiment. Why didn't she want to be like her friends? Aren't the experiments something that EVERYONE watches? I'm sure if I were in her shoes I would want to discuss what was going on.
“Night,” I whispered back, too late.
I believed him.

I think that Wren and Mattie seem a little too close for a brother and sister. Maybe you should make them bicker at least a little bit, so it doesn't seem so... you know. The mother seems very emotional, but I suppose I would be too.

Overall I enjoyed this very much. I haven't read the other chapters, but I surely will.

I hope you describe more of the effects of the depression and the U.S. losing its super power status.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:22 pm
xxabbyleexx wrote a review...

Chapter One

The experiments were paid for and born from some government officials who hoped that the inspired fear and adrenaline might bring us out of the depression. That the money from the ratings would boost the economy and would bring us all together as a people. The experiments themselves were invented by a organization of physiatrists and scientists, intelligent people who were testing the extent of how far a human can go, how much a human mind can bend, what the body and sanity can endure. <b>It seems like more of a game than experiments. It's like reality T.V. gone too far. Did anyone protest the show? Surely they would be met with at least a bit of anger.</b>
The participants of the experiments had, oddly enough, entered willingly into it. Every month there was a big sign-up in the center of each capital, and names were written and dropped into the boxes with slots in them. I never saw the boxes, but Mattie told me about them. And each person who put their name in was given a sum of money, a small sum that might pay the bill for that month <b>or</b> buy some food for his or her family. Though the experiments reeked of death, suspense, and horror, they did bring some a little hope. Which I suppose was the government’s intention.
“Turn that off, Wren,” Mom would say, shuddering when she walked in the house and saw what was on the TV. I harbored a horrid fascination for the experiments, one that I tried to hide from all my friends. I didn’t want to be like the rest of them, talking about who was the hottest guy or who was the weakest and was going to fail the experiment. <b>Why didn't she want to be like her friends? Aren't the experiments something that EVERYONE watches? I'm sure if I were in her shoes I would want to discuss what was going on.</b>
“Night,” I whispered back, too late.
I believed him.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:04 am
Angels-Symphony wrote a review...

Hey KJ ^^ Shina here, as promised ;)

I'll do a review for you, and go deep down into your story xD I'll also do an overall and go over things like character development and conflict *nods*.

I agree with Angel, this is an definitely a good hook. However, I do think that the beginning's punctuation should be:
"Turning, turning; the wheel is always turning."
I also like the way you illustrate the importance of the wheel with good imagery.

The first time I heard about the experiments, [s]the[/s] I only [s]thing I[/s] felt [s]was[/s] curiosity.

I feel like the "the" is repetitive in the first and second part of the sentence.

The experiments were horrible. They were hard to watch. They were exhilarating.

I know you're trying to be vague here, but you're telling to much, dear ;) Try painting a picture rather than just telling us the experiments were "horrible" and "hard to watch". Bring up some sort of emotion in the MC, and use some of the five senses. I'm not really sure what the experiments are exactly, so I can't give you an example =_=.

This seems like a big chunk of information, and once again, it's all telling. I think this would work better if the MC brought recalled something the government said, or by relating to an action that the MC is doing. Nothing's really appeared in my mind so far other than the wheel.
KJ, you need to breathe a little more life into this beginning. You need to start painting the image of the story rather than establishing the story with the "1-2-3" of what's happening.

xD I've used a line like this before, too. This line will work a lot better after you paint that image in the beginning and allow the reader's to start feeling what the narrator is feeling. Bring up emotions like suffering, pain, regret, betrayal, and so on.

Good imagery here ^^

Sometimes I imagine my name falling through the darkness of that box in the capital, falling towards the bottom slowly, reluctant to touch the ground and blend in among all the other names that meant nothing to the government.

The tense is off here. "meant" should be "would mean" because, at the time, it didn't really "mean nothing" just yet. The other names had the chance of being picked, also.

The experiments are a T.V. show? D: Didn't see that coming. Could it possibly be one of those reality shows? Like the Even Steven's Movie?

Exactly what country is this? What kind of government lets people be, tested on *shudders*?

Again with the telling :(

“Don’t waste what electricity we have on that horror,” she said to me about the experiments.

The word "horror" doesn't really seem to fit here. Moms would probably say something like "brainwashing nonsense"

“Watch something that will make your forget a while, honey. Something… happy.”

The mom doesn't seem to be that angry about people dying and suffering on T.V. I'd imagine that people would be more affected by people killed on T.V.

What she didn’t know was that I couldn’t be happy.

I think you need italics on "couldn't".

Not while she walked around the house like a ghost, so pale and silently longing after Dad, who’d left us a couple years back. Not while Mattie left early each morning looking for a job, any job, and always came back with slumped shoulders and a brave smile for me, defeated but trying not to act like it. Not while all my friends were gone, unable to keep in touch, unable to make me laugh as they’d used to.

The imagery is decent here, but I Wren really needs some emotion.

Mattie's a boy?

xD Some of my friends have gotten caught up in the typical HS girl life and watch Gossip Girl and don't even realize that they're turning into their stereotypes.

This part is confusing because it sounds like Mattie is saying it. Also, it's a bit surprising to hear that Wren's "flapping her hand" because just a few paragraphs ago, her emotions didn't exactly surface.

“What is it, Matthew?” Mom inquired, soapy dishwater dripping off the plate she held. It dripped onto the floor, and she didn’t notice in her sudden anxiety.

I'd scrap "inquired" and just go with "asked"

Who’s they?” I snapped, finally finding my tongue again.

Italics on "they".

----------------

Negatives: Your MC, Wren, doesn't seem human because of her lack of emotion. In this chapter you're telling too much, trying to stuff as you can about the experiments and in result, nothing really appears in the reader's head. Your true writer moments shine here and there with your imagery, but I think you should put more of your heart, soul, and emotion into your writing. If Wren had more emotions, more feelings, she'd seem more realistic and easier to follow.
A way you can give the reader the necessary information on the experiments is by flashbacks, or remembering dialogue or past events.

Positives: You have a really good plot and conflict going on here. It's interesting and you have good hooks and cliffhangers. The writing seems consistent.

Hope that helps, KJ ^^

-Shina

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:03 pm
Mage_Banks says...

OMG! I loved your story you inspired me to write some more of my story. I cant wait for the rest!!

Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:51 am
KJ says...

Everyone, thanks so much for the comments and critiques. I really appreciate the time you've taken to read and review - it isn't watsed, I assure you!

And to those of you that compared it to the Hunger Games - yes, by the way, I've read it - it does seem similar, doesn't it? But where there are some similarities, there are huge differences, as well. If I continue to post you'll see what I mean :)

Anyway, thanks again. I hope to hear again from you all soon.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:16 am
asxz wrote a review...

In_the_Moonlight wrote:I loved this, and I'm happy to see you back on YWS again, KJ. The mystery, suspense, and reality to your story drew me in. It was really good. However, the slight sign-up thing for experiments reminded me of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. So far, so good, though. Nicely done.

**Mo**

Haha, same. that was exactly what Iw as thinking, how you paid... the depression... really good book. I can see this going far though, keep writing. I can't believe that her [is wren a her/him] brother signed up for it though, and not her. I thought Wren would, but oh well. would really look forward to reading the rest of this.
Anyways... off to read the second now!

Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:58 pm
In_the_Moonlight wrote a review...

I loved this, and I'm happy to see you back on YWS again, KJ. The mystery, suspense, and reality to your story drew me in. It was really good. However, the slight sign-up thing for experiments reminded me of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. So far, so good, though. Nicely done.

**Mo**

Storm_Bringer wrote a review...

Hello KJ,

Wow. This was really interesting. I liked it a lot!! Hmmm, Angel pretty much got all the nitpiicks so I'll just do my comments. This sort of reminded me of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Have you read it?
Okay onto the review!

~Bumpy Roads

There were a bit of places that could use some work... Mattie and Wren's relationship. It was a bit confusing. They seemed close, very close, yet a little bit more than close. I don't know if you intended it that way or not. Sorry if I'm confusing you about this... The Chinese bit. Blame it on the Chinese, eh? :P Why was it the Chinese's fault though? What did they do? What is wrong with America? Why is it's people so poor? The setting; maybe you could explain it a bit more... It seemed like the future, but a very shattered and recession future... So, it is placed in America and the future? Perhaps you could clear that up a bit...

~Main Character

Wren... I feel like you told more of Mattie's and her mom's personality and character more than Wren. We as the reader hardly know much about Wren at all. She is different, and so are her feelings about the experiments but put more of her personality more. The story is in her eyes yet we know more about the two side characters. Describe how she looks, her personality, emotion. Like when she thinks about her dad. Does she feel a pang of longing in her chest? Anger? Sadness? Is she mad at him? Mad at her Mom for not letting her in? How does she feel about the experiments when she thinks of them? Does she think they are cruel, intriguing, stupid? I know this is only the first chapter though. Just make sure to add in all that goodness in the chapters to come! :D

~The Experiments

It confused me, at first I thought they were doing things to humans, experimenting on them, etc. But then you talk about dropping them in Africa, and all that. I don't really see what all the "experimenting" is. They are just putting them in different situations and seeing what they do. It just doesn't seem very experimenty to me... Perhaps make the experiments more interesting... It just seems like a cruel joke to me. Those are real life situations that people can get stuck with. And it's on television for people to mock and make fun of them? What is the experiments actually for? The rules, another thing I didn't really get. So, even if they didn't get picked they would still get money? How many people would actually get picked? Again I know this is only the first chapter so just clear these things later on...

~Overall

I thought it was really good. It was interesting, suspenseful, and original. Although it reminded me of the Hunger Games... Read the book and I'm sure you'll know why. It was very interesting, I like how the whole chapter came together. It's a bit (a teeny bit cliched. ONLY because, only, because of Wren and her situation. She is different from her friends, doesn't care about guys or anything like that, her dad left her and her mom is in a bad state. It has just been done before, you know? Please put something in it to make her different. Sorry if this was a harsh review or anything. I really liked your story though. Something just made me keep on reading it. ^_^ Please continue it. I'm anxious to know what will happen!

~~~
Hope this helps! Sorry, if it was harsh. Please PM me when you post more! Great job on this!
~Storm :D

Angel of Death wrote a review...

Hey KJ,

It feels good to be reading something new of yours. How've you been? I hope all is well and that my critique will be helpful.

I love this beginning sentence. Great hook.
Everyone at school talked about them, feared them.

I think this needs to be reworded.

Try: But everyone at school, feared them.

My mom wouldn’t even listen to me when I brought it up—apparently her friends had been talking, too.

Ok, the mother may not be a major character in this story but if you're going to say something like this you have to elaborate on it. Why wouldn't her mother listen to her? Did she think it was nonsense...or what? Just explain in one or two sentences, then move on to the next thought.
The experiments themselves were invented by a organization of physiatrists and scientists, intelligent people who were testing the extent of how far a human can go, how much a human mind can bend, what the body and sanity can endure.

physiatrists = psychiatrists

I don't know what you mean by 'how much a human mind can bend'.

Try: The experiments themselves were invented by an organization of psychiatrists and scientists, intelligent people who were testing the extent of a human's sanity, how much the body and the mind could endure.

Or something along those lines.

The participants of the experiments had, oddly enough, entered willingly into it.

You don't need the underlined bit.
I never saw the boxes, but Mattie told me about them.

This sentence does not pertain to what the paragraph is about, I'd get rid of it.
And each person who put their name in was given a sum of money, a small sum that might pay the bill for that month of buy some food for his or her family. Though the experiments reeked of death, suspense, and horror, they did bring some a little hope.

I'd condense these sentences. They're a little wordy.

I'd nix the underlined part.

There was a fine line between children and parents, and she refused to cross it. She wouldn’t confide in us the way I wished she would. Mom kept it in, protecting us in the only way she knew how.

Great characterization.

Okay, here's the verdict. I liked it. I liked it a lot. Wren seems like a very good character but I only see vignettes of her character. I don't see her a lot and that's mainly because it seems everything is going by too fast, especially in the middle. The beginning was okay and then it started to drone on a little but this was really well written and I'd love to read more.

I liked the ending cliff-hanger but I just think there should be a little more dialogue, a little more Wren, in terms of characterization and what not.

Keep writing and please PM me if and when you post more,

~Angel

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence