There are Plants in the People

by JustALittleBarry

Note: Sorry for the spacing, I know how to fix it, I'm just extremely lazy...

We grow in the cracks of pavement

stems growing tall and gangly,

delicate petals skimming the sky.

I can not see my leaves, for

my mirror shows stringy brown

hair and pale, pale skin.

But I’d like to imagine

that my leaves are a soft and

inviting green,

crowned with a ring of

dainty yellow petals,

or perhaps a mass of bright purple.

When I look at you I

think of glass,

so fragile you could

s h a t t e r

at the sound of my voice.

But perhaps that’s how I think

of everyone I know.

I had feared that if I touched them

they would crack and crumble

underneath my fingertips.

And that was when I was

scared of my own body, before I had

learned people are plants.

I tried to run away from

my skin, and buy a train ticket for

a skeleton, yet that was then.

Now I watch leaves swaying

as people walk, and petals bouncing

As heads bob up and down,

And now I see beauty in everyone,

perhaps even myself now.

neptune wrote a review...

Hello! I'll be reviewing your poem for today. Let's get right into it.

I loved the analogy between plants and people! Although I think it has been done many times before, you did make it unique. However, there were some parts that could be a little more unique and different than other poems of the same context. I think wording and phrasing in general are much more important when dealing with a common topic.

We grow in the cracks of pavement
stems growing tall and gangly,

In the second line, I'd recommend using a different verb for 'growing'. It's not only repetitive but it doesn't feel as flowy, if that makes sense.

Your second stanza is what confuses me -- I can kind of see where you are going with the idea, but the whole mirror concept is not quite fitting with the rest of the poem. Perhaps you could try better to tie it in with the context of that stanza? Otherwise, it pops out randomly as I read and it almost confuses me. I do love what you are trying to get at with it, though.

I tried to run away from
my skin, and buy a train ticket for
a skeleton, yet that was then.

Again, I love what you're trying to get at with the 'train ticket' idea, but does it exactly go along and fit with the rest of the poem? Does it tie into the theme? Why did you use a train ticket? What importance does that represent in the poem? I would try switching it up for a new word that ties more into the significance of the message and poem itself.

For the most part, the formatting of your poem was mediocre. I think you could have done something to make the line breaks less invasive. For example, this line break really stopped the flow and made things choppy:
inviting green,

crowned with a ring of

Honestly, I think these lines (stanzas, even) could be joined together. Sometimes it's nice to have poetry be even in structured stanzas, but other times it comes as an advantage to mix up the formatting. Maybe you could play around with it a little?

Though this poem serves as a powerful message, I wasn't feeling much emotion. Don't get me wrong -- emotion can be hard to capture sometimes. But, it is crucial to poetry. Take all the chance you get to include emotion in your poems. When you describe color, mention the emotion. Like, why does the speaker consider them self as having green leaves? Does it represent an emotion? Adjectives to describe things are great, but so are emotions and feelings!

This poem was very beautiful! It has lots of potential, and I hope to see more of your works in the future! If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and review! I truly appreciate it! Hope you have a nice day :)

MaxWagner wrote a review...

After reading this about four times, I think I can say I like this. I've always called people books, but I like the way you compare them to plants.

You immerse the reader immediately in in the world of plants with the opening lines. I can see in my mind several people that fit the description of "tall and gangly". I've met several bean poles. Not going to lie, your very opening line made me think of country artist George Strait's "I Saw God Today".

I'm not sure if you want leaves to represent hair or not, given the next lines and the mirror showing "stringy brown hair" and not leaves. It would make sense if that's where you were going with it though, because then you later "like to imagine my leaves are soft and inviting green".

The middle three paragraph don't really fit the poem, in my opinion. I love them! A lot. I just don't think they fit quite right. Standing alone, they're awesome, but you go from using plants as a representation of people... to using glass. Again, I do like the lines, but the theme doesn't match. The following lines fit a lot better, and say almost the same thing. I think if you were to exchange the glass with a dead leaf analogy, it might work better.

I think my favorite line is "buy a train ticket for a skeleton". The idea of trying to escape the feeling of being stuck in one's skin is a strong one that I think probably resonates with many people, not just me. Again, not going to lie... this may make me seem childish, but those lines made me think of the animated movie Robots, when Rodney Copperbottom goes to the train station to get away from his small town, and look for his destiny in the big city. A funny comparison, I'm sure, but it fits in a way... maybe?

Your closing lines made me smile. Especially "petals bouncing as heads bob up and down". I'm not sure I'm going to be able to see people bopping along to their music the same way anymore. Come to think of it, my older sister DOES look like a daisy, petals moving in the wind, when she dances around to her music.

Thank you for the read!!

Thank you so much for reading and reviewing! I really really appreciate it! Your review made me smile, hope you have a nice day :)

Nouns can verb very well actually, they verb better than some verbs do.
— winterwolf0100