z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

I don't know a good title.

by Jurelixranoanad


Go ahead and tell me

That you know all I can be. 

That you've studied every droplet,

Of my ever-changing sea. 

But you weren't taught, 

Those seas are only were they end. 

The things that tell the story

Are the rivers twists and turns. 

The ocean isn't everything

It part of it of course,

But you cannot judge its currents. 

If you do not know their source. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Wed May 31, 2017 4:44 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hi there, nit-picks first:

Those seas are only were they end.

Really not sure what this line is meant to be "Those seas are only the end"? "Those seas are only where they end."?

It's part of it of course


Overall:

This is a nice if somewhat simple message conveyed in a way that I am able to comprehend it (assuming it's that you shouldn't judge people whose stories you don't know).

I like the water metaphor, but it is something that's been used quite often. You've done it well, but maybe add in other elements so it feels more fresh.

I really like your rhyme and metre. Your metre is very regular and soothing, and your rhyme doesn't sound forced at all. It gives a very relaxed feeling, and that's good for me because I just happen to be having a long day. Maybe if you're angry (as I would expect someone to be if they were warning others not to judge people) it would be good to vary the sentence length to jar the reader. Like this:

Words words words words
words words words words words
words words
words words words words

If you fill that in with potent imagery, it'll have more impact on the short line because the reader won't be expecting it. That'll make it sound more confrontational, like you're telling the reader to think about whether or not they judge people.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)






Thanks for the positive review%uD83D%uDE00



User avatar
305 Reviews


Points: 431
Reviews: 305

Donate
Wed May 31, 2017 1:06 pm
speakerskat wrote a review...



Hey there Kat here to review!

I loved the general concept behind your poem and the shortness of it. The ever present metaphor between water and a person, though cliche, was very well executed. It's not often one finds such a quaint extended metaphor. However I did notice a few issues with grammar and meter here as well as rhyme so I'll try to point those out for you.

"Those seas are only were they end." this should be where

"It part of it of course," this line didn't make sense to me, maybe you meant "it's a part of it"? either way it's still kind of wonky.

Your rhyme scheme is A/A/B/A/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/H
The intermingling of rhyme in here in no particular scheme REALLY distracted me so I would suggest you piece a rhythm to go with. It'll help it flow. It's a really simple fix for example if I wanted lines 6 and 8 to rhyme I would change the word "turns" to "bends". It means the same thing, is a slightly more precise word, and rhymes with end.

I think you have wonderful potential as a writer because you ideas and thoughtfulness are in the right place and you seem to know what steps to take to improve your writing, you're here after all. I hope I wasn't too harsh and don't sweat the title, not every great work needs a fancy title, there are plenty of famous poets who simply number their poems and that's all we have. Your work speaks for itself.

I'd like to point out that you started off ridiculously strong. Just go ahead and read your first four lines. It flows, t rhymes, the meter and rhythm is there. You have an accusatory and defiant tone that also gives way to possible introspection and emotional turbulence later in the poem. Your only issue is continuing this strong start through the whole piece and that's something I find incredibly difficult myself. I always seem to have the first couple of stanzas for a masterpiece but never know how to tie them together. It's tempting to try and rush though it but the bets thing is to come back later with a fresh ind or mull it over for awhile.

A general tip for a young and promising poet as yourself is write. Write all the time about everything and anything. You are going to produce total garbage and that's okay! You have to expel the bad to find the good and move forwards. Another important part is read. Read anything and everything, expand your vocabulary and your understanding of the sheer complexity of the written word and you'll go places with your works you've never thought possible.

This poem for you isn't just a random work without a real title, it's a window into the wonderful creativeness you posses and that's what I love about it. It's unique and captivating, you just have to continue to refine your basic skills.

Keep it up, you're really great!
Kat
Probably the longest review I have done in awhile...





Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci