Spin Real Fast -- Chapter Two

by Julri

You can find Chapter One right here: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8409&highlight=

This chapter is just a random conversation of some of my girl characters. Two boy-crazy, one giggly, and one very bored. Real fun, eh? Any suggestions would be totally awesome.

"He fancies you, I think," Sellie commented.

"You think? I know!" Hezzie giggled.

"Most definitely," Birdie agreed.

Mary looked up at Sellie, Hezzie, and Birdie. "He doesn't." Mary didn’t like the way that the conversation was heading. They had been having a nice talk about how they could teach frogs to tap dance, and all the sudden this popped up?

"Are you joking? He completely does," Birdie argued. "You should've seen how he was looking at you today. I mean, not that he's much to look at, but he's nice, at least. You're lucky. I could never get a guy half as good."

"Half as good as Indun? Ugh, I’d hate to see that!" Sellie said, sending Hezzie into a fit of giggles.

"He’s not that bad," Hezzie laughed, "just..."

"Oh! I'm sick of this!" Birdie said, grabbing a pillow and throwing it, missing the hysterical Hezzie by just a few inches. "You idiots laugh at any old thing!"

"No, just Hezzie," Sellie said. "I don't know what she's on."

This sent Hezzie into yet another giggling fit.

Birdie crossed her arms and wrinkled her nose. “Anyways, we should leave Mary alone. She’s probably right, anyways. Besides, we don’t need guys.”

"Here, here!” Mary said, raising her glass of milk into the air, some of it sloshing out onto Hezzie’s bed.

“I wouldn’t mind having a boyfriend,” Sellie commented.

“Is it true? Has the first of us finally gotten out of our boys-are-icky phase?” Hezzie asked, shocked. “Gosh, I hope I’m last.”

“You’ll just have to see the rest of us suffer first,” Birdie said. Hezzie, of course, found this quite hilarious.

“Still,” Sellie continued, “most of the boys around here are poor, ugly, and stupid. And the ones that are none of those are jerks.” She rattled on, half talking to herself. Actually, Sellie rather liked talking about boys.

Mary looked down at her feet, which were currently tapping to some imaginary beat. “Hey, who do you think invented the first shoe?”

Sellie groaned. “Not another one of these...”

“See, it was probably one of the earlier inventions and it probably came before the sock, but...”

“Mary!” Birdie and Sellie yelled together.

Mary looked up. “Hmm?”

“You’re going on one of your tangents, again,” Hezzie said.

“Oh. Sorry.” Mary then began looking at the ceiling and counting the numbers of holes in it.

“Anyways, we need to decide what to do about if a boy asks one of us out,” Sellie said.

“I vote that we say no until the other three of us get dates, too,” Birdie said.

“Take all of us or none of us!” Hezzie declared, sticking a fist into the air.

“You know, if he asked me out, I’d go with Nirin,” Sellie said, flopping onto her pillow.

“Nah. Lily likes him. You don’t want to get her angry,” Birdie said.

“There might be a good looking guy in the city,” Sellie said. “A sword maker’s apprentice,” she added, hopefully. “Or maybe an actor.”

“Nobody in town makes swords and all of the actors are annoying,” Birdie said. “Besides, the boys in the city can be so rude.”

Sellie nodded her head. “Hmm. What about...?”

“Twenty-three.”

Sellie, Birdie, and Hezzie looked up at Mary. “What?”

“Twenty-three,” Mary repeated.

“Twenty-three what?” Birdie asked.

“There are twenty-three holes in the ceiling,” Mary said. “But only four of them go all the way through to the other side onto the roof.”

“Right...” Sellie glanced around.

There was an awkward silence for the next moment. The four girls spent the next several seconds tapping their fingers on the beds they sat on. Or, in Mary’s case, seeing how many taps she could do in a minute.

Finally, Hezzie broke the silence. “What about Rorin?”

Sellie and Birdie both groaned. “He’s so arrogant,” Birdie said.

“He thinks he’s so good looking,” Sellie added.

“He puts more thought into his hair than any of us do,” Birdie said.

“Today, I saw him looking at his reflection in a big spoon,” Sellie said.

“Yeah, but... he’s kind of cute,” Hezzie said.

Sellie groaned. “Oh, Hezzie!”

“He’s full of himself,” Birdie told Hezzie.

"I’m sure he’s not that bad,” Mary suggested. “Maybe he’s just insecure and doesn’t want people to think he’s anything less than what he really is.”

The other three girls stared at her.

"Yeah, but he doesn't have to act so stuck up," Sellie finally said.

"Sure," Mary said, falling back onto the small bed. "I just don't think that you should be so hard on him."

Sellie snorted, sending Hezzie into another fit of giggles. "Well, what do you think his problem is, then?"

"I think he's destined for something big and he knows it," Mary said. "That's all, really."

Sellie scoffed. "Destined for something big? Like what?"

"I don't really know," Mary shrugged. "It's just a hunch."

“Hmm,” Hezzie said. Then she smiled as she added, "I'm surprised you've put so much thought into Rorin. Personally, I would've thought you'd be looking at that little friend of his a bit more than him." She giggled, obviously not realizing that she was the only one doing so.

Mary shook her head. "I'm telling you, Indi doesn't like me. I mean, we're friends, sure, but nothing more. I don't see why everyone thinks we're..."

"...Madly in love," Birdie finished. Hezzie went into one of her giggling fits and Sellie laughed, letting out a loud snort.

Mary smiled. “Really, now. Don’t you think that’s a bit much?”

Birdie shook her head. “He likes you. Trust me.”

“And what makes you so sure that I like him?” Mary asked.

The other three girls stared at her, as if looking her over could prove something. A moment passed.

“Yeah, she’s in love with him,” Birdie said.

“Yup.”

“Mmm hmm.”

Mary sighed. Since when did she and her friends talk about boys? “All of you are growing very boring.”

“What?” Sellie asked. “Would you rather being talking about magical pigeons?”

“I only brought them up once,” Mary said. “Besides, I wasn’t saying that pigeons are magical. I was just saying that if they were then maybe...”

“Mary!” Birdie yelled. “We’ve heard your magical pigeon theory a thousand times. We don’t need you to review it with us.”

Mary looked at Birdie. “Are you sure? It’s a quite interesting subject.”

Sellie looked hard at Mary. “Sometimes I can’t tell if you’re joking or if you’re serious.” She paused. “Anyways, I think that you and Indun would be perfect for each other. You’d both nuts.”

"And you love him. Ooh la la!" Hezzie sung.

Mary grinned. "Hezzie, shush up."

"See! You're smiling!" Hezzie said. "Just thinking about him..."

"Oh, shush!" Mary hit Hezzie with a pillow, sending the other girl laughing.

Sellie rolled her eyes and hit Hezzie again with the same pillow. "Hezzie, do be quiet!"

Mary sighed, though she was still smiling. "I'm going to bed." She stood up and stretched.

“You can’t leave till you admit that you love him,” Sellie said.

“Fine then,” Mary said. “I love him. Happy?”

“You bet,” Sellie said.

As Mary walked out, Hezzie stuck out her tongue at the other girl’s back and began giggling some more.

“Really, they would be perfect for one another,” Birdie said. “I’ve never met two stranger people in my life.”

“Indun’s so energetic and optimistic, and Mary’s so dreamy and odd,” Sellie said. “Very strange people. I mean, if the two of them can find someone, that gives hope to the rest of us. And who knows? Maybe we’ll snatch up some guys, too.”

“You do realize how pathetic that sounds, don’t you?” Birdie asked

Sellie snorted. “Please. You’ve been boy crazy since you were five.”

“What? You’re the one that used to stalk boys who you liked,” Birdie said.

“Well, you’re the one that would stare at them all day and sulk,” Sellie said.

Birdie stood up. “Well you have a nose like a pig!”

“Well you are a pig!” Sellie yelled back.

Hezzie, looking confused and not sure if she should laugh or not, lay down on her bed. "If you two are going to fight, I'm going to bed!"

“Fine! Go to bed!” Birdie yelled, throwing yet another pillow at Hezzie.

“Pig,” Sellie muttered as Birdie slammed the door behind herself.

Hezzie pulled her blanket over her head. Almost every night, Birdie and Sellie got into a fight. One minute they were friends, and the next they were tossing insults at each other. “You two don’t have to fight,” she said. “It’s very annoying.”

“Oh, shush up!” Sellie threw the pillow under her head at Hezzie.

Hezzie scowled from under her blanket. “Tomorrow,” she whispered to herself, “I’m going to get rid of all of these stupid pillows.

Well, what do you think? I'm not quite sure about this chapter, so suggestions are very welcome. Also, if anyone has an idea for a different title, that would be great.

Peace! 8)

Prosithion wrote a review...

I thought that it was good, but you don't like men much do you?

I would assume that this is a fantasy story because of all the weird names the mention about the swords, but you should mention something that gives a hint of its fantasisity. :)

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind