12+

The Murder

by Jude085

“Hello”, Mr. William said with a bewildering look. The reply should have been straight like “hi” or “hello” but the severing of my body doesn’t let me speak a single word. I was standing frozen. It’s not cold there, even it’s a month of blooming spring. All the fruits and flowers are ripe yellow. This was not a good idea … I kept murmuring in front of him. He became skeptical, just asked, “Is everything ok young man?” A sudden thought hit me, what if he found?

I reconciled myself and said with clearing my throat “Ya, I’m … I’m good”, crossed him and run out of the store. Mr. William was my history teacher. I never feel his presence in my entire life, but, today first time in my life I took him seriously. I started walking back to my apartment. The plastic bag was full of ice and so heavy like it’s full of rocks. I was running back to my apartment and the ice was keep melting, the water making a trail through my deeds, choices and wrong decisions.

I was so afraid, that I never tried to look for other things on road .. I was just walking. Finally, I reached my apartment. I ran through the stairs and opened my room, before closing the doors I checked the lobby. Then I turned on TV and set the volume to max. The time came when I have to face it, I stepped into the bathroom. It’s smelling, the foul smell, it’s not bearable. But I don’t have another choice. Either someone catches me or I replace myself to the dead body. So, it’s time to stick on the plan, pour ice in the tub. The ice was hard and very big to fit in the tub. Somehow I broke the ice and put in the tub. I never did such a thing and never thought, that a time will come when I have to do this. I am very fucked up. Someone knocked on the door, “oh, god!” I decided to ignore and after some time, it stops. I don’t who was knocking but leave it. First, I have to complete this job. I came out of the bathroom and closed the doors, sprayed room fresheners. It also got empty. I laid on the sofa. My eyes, I can feel the pain I haven’t slept for two nights. I put myself on the sofa and tried to sleep but thoughts of the body didn’t help me at all.

I keep questing myself. What happened that led me to this pit? O just don’t why I did invite her. There was a choice for me to take and what I did to myself. I am just selfish brat, asshole who never thought of anyone else.

The night, I remembered, when I met her. It was a bar, I was with my friends us gone there to celebrate my victory. Ya, we won a baseball match. It was easy those losers don’t know how to throw a ball. She was nothing more than a score for me. Being the best baseball player in college and popular person, every girl likes me. It was easy for me to pick up girls. Just I need to play my lines and I got laid.

I bought her a drink and we started talking about college, sports and mostly my flawed achievements. As always, I made her drunk and asked her to come to my apartment. First, she resisted but I pursued her. She was a nice girl. I don’t talk much about her but, I can say, she doesn’t deserve to die like that. We took a taxi to my apartment and walked through the same stairs. While leaving the bar, I waved to my friend as I scored one more, but never thought this will happen. Now, I entered in my room. I asked for a drink, she resisted but again being a playboy I just put some pressure and she took it. The thing is if you are good looking and have a good physique half of your problem just end. The world seems to be so easy before two days.

We talked more, about the same crap how much I have? What I have won? She is so down to earth and patient that listened every crap I told her. I guess she likes me. She wants to talk to me. She tried but I never gave her a chance to speak. She is just so good and what I did?

The time came when I started playing my dirty card. What does a man need? I don’t know whether it was my fault or society’s’. Just don’t know. I was taught to be tough and enduring. I always taught to score. What man do, they score, they hunt otherwise how they would be superior.

I started forcing myself. I thought things will go well but happened just opposite.

The drinks were smooth, the talking was smooth but love, Love is hard. I tried to force her, even in such drunken state every single time she resisted. At last, I got pissed and pushed my whole weight on her. This was something that made it clear I crossed the limits. She stood up and started abusing and hitting I and I knew I did a terrible thing, but as an alpha male I have to win, I have to score. I don’t know what’s on my mind, I have do this. As we both were drunk, we were Unbalanced and speaking slurred speeches. Our motor skills were on pause. She started hitting me, she slapped me. This makes me so futile and angry that I hit her so aggressively that she fell on the glass table, the blood spilled all over the carpet. There were two things left only – scattered red glasses and me. I was stunted, a firm twitch ran all over my nerve. What did I do? My masculinity did this or I could have stopped. I killed a person. Suddenly, I stopped think and leaned forward to check her, she was not responding. I don’t know what to do. I was just going to call the doctor but I couldn’t able to do that. My whole life will be ruined, all that matches, grades and degrees will be go in vain with her. A point came when I, myself, declared her dead. I was so afraid to call the doctor. I just wanted to run away. I reconciled my feelings and decided to clean the mess, further planned to dump the body in the river. I kept the body in bathroom tub and when it starts rotting I decided to keep it in ice. While I was mesmerizing these acts, I heard the knocking again, my eyes opened. Oh, I fall asleep. On the other side, there were some people asking for me. I tried to ignore as before, a voice called my name and warned: “police here!” I was guessing how did they come to know? Then, my sight fell on the backside of my jacket, there were bloodstains.

The banging didn’t stop, thud, thud, thud…. And the door opens.         

tgham99 wrote a review...

Hi there! Tee jumping in here for a review.

This short story was super interesting for me to read because I always love stories that give us a look into the mind of a killer or any antagonistic character in general. I like that you write our narrator as troubled and potentially unreliable -- we're left to wonder whether or not he actually feels true remorse for his actions, or if he's simply afraid of the consequences of his own actions.

I figured I'd point out that grammar mistakes made it a little difficult to read through the story smoothly; as @Traves mentioned, the tense switches between past and present, which made it hard to figure out whether or not I was supposed to read the story as if it had already happened, or if it was happening in the present, if that makes sense. Adjusting tenses and verbs to remain consistent would greatly improve the quality of the story's structure itself!

The plotline itself is dark but brutally honest, making it that much more interesting to read. That ties into my whole point about a potentially unreliable narrator -- I can't help but wonder what more we're missing about his mentality. I would actually love to have seen what happened after the police showed up. Did he go quietly? Did he put up a fight or deny anything? Could he have denied anything?

All in all, this was a painful but well-written story. You have a good storytelling foundation and you have a good grasp of how character development goes. I would love to see a continuation of this story and more of your writing in general!!

Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:56 pm
Starve wrote a review...

Hi! Traves here for a quick review.
So it feels like this was written hurriedly and needs some editing for it to be called a first draft. I'm picking a few examples from the early paragraphs to point out what I mean. I highly suggest running it through grammarly to fix the spelling and grammar.

Grammatical -
- Most of the grammatical errors are tense incongruencies. For example, in

the second part of second sentence (after "but") is in present tense, while the parts before it were past. the next sentence is past tense, while the one after that is present, and so on.

- Some words appear to be missing in sentences. For example,
in the first para, the last part with the thought "what if he found" , there should be some kind of pronoun or phrase completion like "found out" or "found it" etc.

- Some words feel awkwardly used. For example "I reconciled myself" -- Reconciled yourself with what? did you mean "I recomposed myself" ?

Flow/sentence structure based-
- So this isn't an error, but you could make some sentences shorter and crisper like the first sentence of the second para
I reconciled myself and said with clearing my throat “Ya, I’m … I’m good”, crossed him and run out of the store.

here it'd be better if it was broken into 2 sentences since the primary focus of the two parts of the sentence aren't really that related that they should be part of one single sentence. like " I recomposed myself and cleared my throat, " Yeah, I'm... I'm good". I crossed him and ran out of the store. "

- Always avoid using swear words while narrating (like "fucked up"). Characters are allowed to use them but you aren't.

Other sentences can be made clearer too with similar reasoning.

Story level -
- I think your biggest strengths here were characterization and the easy way in which one scene flows into the next. The characterization did have its issues, I think you went overboard with the toxic alpha male stereotype to the point it was cartoonish.
- I also liked your descriptions, like the line "the ice was keep melting, the water making a trail through my deeds, choices and wrong decisions." Although it wasn't perfect because of grammar issues and the fact that wrong decisions are also choices so one of those words should be replaced with a better one.

- talking about the elements of the a story, I liked the hook set up initially about the dead body, but it was spoiled immediately when the main character himself reveals the whole series of events in an internal monologue. There was no conflict, no set-up or twist or climax, and it's not necessary for a story to have all of those but then there must be other elements to carry the story.
- some fleshing out of the scenes and adding important narrative elements to hold the reader will go a long way in improving this tale. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0HEqI3pJIM

Keep writing and sharing! I really hope to see an improved draft of this tale!

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am
Swainpuff77 says...

This was very nice. I always love a good murder story. It was very smooth as in when I read it I didn’t have to stop because I was confused or something so good job!

Jude085 says...

Thank you very much for reviewing my work.

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am
Swainpuff77 says...

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:35 am
Swainpuff77 says...

if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah