Yank Chp 2

by Jony

I quickly entered my classroom, hoping I slipped in unnoticed; I didn't.

“You there, whats your name?” the teacher called out to me. Everyone turned around and smirked at my mud stained clothes.

“My name's Jessie....” I muttered, trying to imitate an English accent. I didn't, my voice sounded like Yoda had a child with Marry Poppins, it was that bad.

The class chuckled and I could hear some guys call me an inappropriate part of the male anatomy. The teacher looked at me with a smirk. “You must be the boy from Washington.”

“It's actually called America,” I could feel the blood rush to my face, more chuckles from the peanut gallery.

I tried to keep my cool, not everything was over yet, I still had my dignity. “Stay cool, keep it together,” I whispered to myself.

Then the peanut gallery came back for more. “Hey, what instrument do you play? The jug?”

And being my always sharp as a ball of wet clay self, I retorted with “Yeah....”

I almost wished I had just exploded right then and there, at least they would shut up after that. My fingers immediately started fingering musical scales, I always did that under pressure. After my last comment the hecklers were having a ball.

“I bet thats not the only thing he likes to blow.”

“What is he doing with his fingers?”

“Hey, why don't you play the jug for us, maybe you can make some moonshine for us while your at it.”

The teacher had enough of the comments, even though he didn't intervene until the laughter disrupted the class, two floors above us. I quickly took a seat in the back and buried my hands in my face. Well there goes my dignity, sailing away on a jug of moonshine marked looser across it. It wasn't the best way to start the school year. I could have been hung on the flagpole by my underwear, at least then the drop down would of killed me.

I looked up, half expecting the entire class to be writing a three page essay on why Jessie is a total dumbass. Reason one; a smart person wouldn't correct the teacher and tell him that America is really called Washington.

My self rantings got interrupted by the sound of something that didn't make me want to go shove a clarinet down my throat. “For what it's worth, I thought your fake Chinese accent sounded hilarious,” wow I was way off with that accent.

I turned my head to the side and smiled, even though I probably looked like the Joker getting a prostate exam. Okay maybe I am a little too hard on myself but if you were the one who just went through that you would be hard on yourself too

A tall gangly boy with braces smiled at me. I knew I shouldn't have laughed being the one who just got a thorough verbal beat down, but he looked like a horse, no joke. He had a long nose, buck teeth and a sort of pinched up face. Before you call me a gigantic jerk, I did not just outright laugh at him. I made a sort of wheezy, strained noise. Even though he probably thought I was the weird one after that.

“What's your name?” I asked.

“Jeremy,” he said.

An awkward silence settled over us and I turned back to not listening to the teacher rant on about geometry, my least favorite subject. After an hour of diligently studying the ceiling and hoping the rest of the day would go better, I was finally free from the first stage of academic purgatory.

I quickly left the classroom with my head down and my hands in my pockets. Though the fates had no mercy on me. Just as I thought I was free and melded into the crowd of students scuttling to their next class like ants, Jeremy decided to talk to me. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't disappointed that it was him that decided to talk to me, though I'd be lying if I said I'd be sad if a hot girl decided to come flirt with me. It was the content that he tried to talk about with me, he talked none stop about a game called “League Of Legends” and when that failed he tried to talk about “girls” he had gone out with. Though I seriously doubt he went out with a French model, and if he did then I needed to get my eyes checked, badly.

veeren wrote a review...

Since you asked so nicely, I couldn't help check out your second chapter.
[Well that, and because you said there were no grammar mistakes ;)]

Oops, first sentence:

hoping I would get away unnoticed, I didn't.

That should be: hoping I slipped in unnoticed; I didn't.

“My name's Jessie...” I muttered, trying to adopt an English accent.

Oh, the three dots again. If you want to make him seem like he's stuttering, the words 'um' or 'uh' in there sometime. And change 'adopt' to 'imitate'.

some guys call me a certain part of the male anatomy.

This one's more of a personal preference, but try the word 'inappropriate' instead of 'certain'.

The teacher had enough of the comments even though he didn't intervene

There should be a comma after 'comments'.
(And there are those dreaded dots again.)

It wasn't the best way I could of started the school year.

This is written awkwardly when you compare it to everything around it. I'd reword it: Not the best way to start off the school year.

essay on why Jessie is a total dumb ass.

'Dumbass' (while it's still slang) is one word, unless you literally mean a dumb donkey.

teacher and tell him that America is really called Washington.

Wasn't it the other way around?

beat down. But he looked like a

The period should be a comma.

free of this first stage of academic

Change 'of this' to 'from the', otherwise it implies you'd been focus on the subject of 'this' just before, which believe it or not, you weren't.

with a French model and if he did then

Comma before 'and', please.

And there you have it. All of your mistakes that you said didn't exist.
I'm just joking. This part was definitely funnier than the last, and was definitely better written.
Kudos on a job well done.

jon7670 says...

Thanks! I just went through your comment and made revisions as I read through. I respect you so much in terms of grammar. I am learning SO much about grammar by reading your comments and going through correcting my work. You are making me a better writer and I hope you continue to read my work.

veeren says...

Heh, no problem :D

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:02 am
Omni wrote a review...

Here to review once again.

I'm still doing it the way I did it on your first chapter. I am seriously getting tired and I don't know how I am spelling these words right, but somehow I am, so please bear with me.

Storyline: I like the simple comedy in this and how it brings originality and some core features into the story. I love this and I hope you write more soon.

I know this is short and I apologize for that. I hoped it helped, even if a little.

I give this piece a 9 out of 10.

Thanks,
Omniyus

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:27 am
CowLogic wrote a review...

A Review For You: Barnyard Review for "Yank Chp2" by Jon7670

Well, all I can really say is, man, British kids are really stinkin' mean! I hope this isn't an accurate depiction of how kids are welcomed into a Prep School, because this definitely would not have flied in America. If it were the USA, people would be nicer, even in mean classes, and wouldn't immediately get on a kid because he was nervous. They would be much more chill.

Also, if it were America, Jesse would have gone off the deep end and stage a beat down on them kids. They shan't be givin' no disrespect to their American bro.

But, anyway, more to the point, this chapter was much the same as the last, and if you read my review for chapter 1, I describe what I do and do not like about the writing style and prose, but I will continue onward to be as helpful as possible.

I like the way this chapter is written more than the last, which is good, because the improvement is not blatant, it melds in well with the first chapter. Build up gradually, that's the key. I like the imagery and figurative language and how the author is able to describe things without going on and on and on and on and- well, you get the point. It is more varied and complex, if still a little short.

The humor is also more evident here, which is good, but I would, if I were the author, like a reviewer said in the first chapter, I would try to add some serious events into the piece, rather than just writing for humor's sake alone. That's the direction this seems to be headed in anyways.

I also find it nice that the author included a really geeky guy in contrast to the "cooler" members of the class, and this is the guy who reaches out to Jesse, because he seems like the lowest person on the social ladder in comparison with himself.

If I were in a one on one with the man or woman who wrote this, I would suggest that he/she try to bring out the down to earth qualities of Jesse's personality, no doubt achieved through his upbringing in America. He needs to find some way to seem more sympathetic to the audience, and so his projected more-blue-collar status would fit well into a group of rich snobs who are unwelcoming to him.

As always, to all those reading this, have a good one, and drive safely.

7/10

jon7670 says...

Wow thanks, I love your reviews and how instead of just focusing on grammatical mistakes, you focus on the writing itself and what you like or how the author could improve. In terms of comedy, I am throwing a stereotypical American into a stereotypical British society, and my comedy will hereby reflect that. I honestly have no idea what British people think of us Americans, they really could be this mean... or not haha. I am using these stereotypes to help build not a realistic world but a comedic world. I will definitely try to bring out some more down-to-earth qualities in Jessie. I want the audience to be able to connect with him and feel what he feels. I used this chapter to experiment with the way the narrator could use his opinion to add comedy, but I think later on I will definitely use more of a "series of events" type comedy were it is the situation that is comedic not just the narration or dialogue. Thank you so much on commenting on this piece and I hope you continue to help me grow and improve as a reader. Keep reading and I hope my rating will keep going up the more I improve :)

CowLogic says...

Thanks for the compliments, Jon.

I wish you luck on the story, I love comedy, situational being one of my favorites.

Hopefully, I'll be back when Chapter 3 gets here.

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden