z

Young Writers Society



A Wizard's Princess

by JolieSari55


Queen Lucinda’s eyebrows arched high as she shrieked. “This is all your fault!”

“My fault?” King Rupert replied indignantly.

Both King and Queen sat in the courtyard of their castle. Directly in the middle of the courtyard to be exact, a rather pleasant place to be since early spring was about and flowers bloomed fervently all around them. They were having their morning tea. A tradition that recently started after Lucinda complained in her shrilly voice to Rupert that they never had tea together like the other Kings and Queens. So there they were, not less then a day later, sitting in the courtyard having tea- making the prominent known fact that the Queen ran everything all the more obvious. And although they sat about two inches from each other on finely crafted chairs, their voices raised to fill the whole courtyard. Queen Lucinda’s face was even beginning to turn a very unqueenly shade of purple.

“Yes, your fault. She’s your child!”

The King chuckled at this. “Really Lucinda, I think she’s your child too.”

The Queen glared at her husband and put a large dose of sugar in her tea, unnecessarily since the cup was practically overflowing. “Well, if you hadn’t named her what you did maybe she wouldn’t be so-”

“So what?” Rupert cut in angrily. “Sam was my mother’s name and she was a fine lady. A fine name Sam is…”

“…a fine boyish name,” Lucinda finished. “I told you when she was born. Do you remember? I said, ‘Rupert, name her carefully, a name determines a person’s character.’ And what do you do? Name her Sam! A boyish name, that explains it.”

“Explains what dear? I’m afraid you seem to be more informed then me on the matter at hand. God knows you always are.”

“Do you know what I caught your daughter doing today? Sword fighting!” She spat the words out distastefully. “And dressed like a stable hand too!”

“Really? I heard rumors…Is she as good as they claim?” King Rupert asked excitingly.

“Rupert!” the Queen gasped. “Don’t encourage her! It’s bad enough such unprincesslike rumors are true!”

The King coughed politely. “Umm, I mean, how disastrous!”

“Yes,” Lucinda agreed, “if word of this gets out she’ll hardly be able to get a decent princess job. No witch will want to cast a spell on her; no giant will want to capture her…Imagine, Rupert, the consequences! She won’t need any prince to rescue her. She won’t ever be married! Our bloodline as we know it will disappear!”

“Come now dear, it wouldn’t be that bad.”

“Yes it would. However will she be married off then Rupert?” The Queen swooned dramatically, a touch she often added for affect. However, she promptly collapsed right out of her chair, landing right on the ground with a loud ‘thump’.

Rupert frowned at this new revelation as he routinely got out of his chair and fanned his temporally fainted wife. Since the servants were neither concerned nor troubled by his supposed unconscious wife, it was his designated job to tend to her. As he did so he thought about the daughter in question.

Sam was the youngest of his five daughters. All the rest of his girls were already happily married off after a scheduled capture, leaving Sam the last one. She was just turning seventeen today, past the usual time of being married at sixteen. He wasn’t in any rush or generally worried. Sam was a slender, petite, and normally charming, intelligent girl. However, he had to admit she had a knack for odd things. But whoever heard of a princess sword fighting? Or arguing court politics for dwarfs? It was simple unheard of. It was simple not done.

His wife fluttered her eyes and sat up out of his arms, deciding that the allotted time for a dramatic affect had passed. “I’m sorry Rupert. I guess the thought of such things was a spell to much for my comfort.”

“Of course dear, you must remember not to get so worked up.” He thought for a while then added, “If it makes you happy, I’ll sit Sam down and give her a good talking to.”

“Thank you Rupert. That’s really all I’m asking for.” Lucinda stood up with a swish of her golden dress. Quite quick for a woman recently fainted, but the Queen was a woman of many talents. “I think I shall retire now. It is way too early in the morning to be fully awake anyways.”

As she left, the King muttered to himself under his breath. “And it was your flipping idea to get up so early for morning tea!”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
922 Reviews


Points: 42011
Reviews: 922

Donate
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:47 pm
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...



Very nice. It does sounds a bit stereotypical, but it is so endearing that I'm willing to overlook it and quite happily too. And I think you meant it to be that way, since it comes off lightly satirical of the genre. Very funny.

The relationship between the king and queen was quite funny. I say that at risk of sounding like a broken record, but it is true. It's kind of freaky: I once wrote a twisted fairy tale and my royal couple's names were actually quite similar to the ones you have here. Strange.

Anyway, very nice work here. I look forward to seeing where you will go with it! Please PM when you post the next part!

*thumbs up* Rock on.

~GryphonFledgling




User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 158

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:37 pm
Lauren wrote a review...



Hi there. I liked this a lot - it had a pleasant humour running all the way through it. I like the relationship between the king and queen - one of fond quarrels - and I'll tell you what, it reminds me a little of the relationship between Mr and Mrs Bennett in Pride and Prejudice. If you are carrying this on, I would love to hear things from Princess Sam's point of view, as well as more editions of light-hearted quarrels between the king and queen.
There was one thing that needs mentioning, though. You appear to have a tendency to not put a comma after a name. In fact, you have a lack of commas nearly everywhere. E.g. You wrote:

“Yes it would. However will she be married off then Rupert?”


When it ought to be:

"Yes, it would. However, will she married off then, Rupert?" See what I mean?


If you write any more installments, which I dearly hope you will, please PM me. I think it's fabulous!




User avatar
203 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 203

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:25 pm
October Girl wrote a review...



Hmm, nice. I liked it. Really :lol: I love how the King and Queen seem so.... real. Like my parents they argue it's funny. I love your last line but Kisses was right use 'bloody' or something else flipping is kinda of cheesy. Nonetheless I iked it!

toodles
-Max




User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 43

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:50 pm
Kiss In The Rain wrote a review...



Hmm, I do indeed like this. The plot line does seem a little typical, but if you add some good twists in the plot line, it could be very different. I hope you continue. :)

There were a few things that needed to be fixed...:

Yes,” Lucinda agreed, “if word of this gets out she’ll hardly be able to get a decent princess job.


Um... "decent princess job"? Wayyy cheesy and totally out of style. It should be more formal than "princess job". Find something else.... (lol)

Rupert frowned at this new revelation as he routinely got out of his chair and fanned his temporally fainted wife.


temporarily-fainted

It was simple unheard of. It was simple not done.


both "simple"s should be "simply"

guess the thought of such things was a spell to much for my comfort.”


"was a spell too much for my comfort"

“Thank you Rupert.


Thank you (comma) Rupert

And it was your flipping idea to get up so early for morning tea!”


Again, "flipping" is cheesy. Use something more in time. "Bloody" perhaps, or something else.

Other than that, BRAVO!

*~*Kiss*~*




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 3

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:23 pm
writergirl94 wrote a review...



This was HILARIOUS! I like how the King and Queen bicker just like any other old married couple. I also love how the King reacts when he hears Sam's been swordfighting!

The last part was funny too...

“I think I shall retire now. It is way too early in the morning to be fully awake anyways.”

As she left, the King muttered to himself under his breath. “And it was your flipping idea to get up so early for morning tea!”


You should definitely take this story further! :)




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 16

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:51 pm
xxfourthelement wrote a review...



Just for the record: all those "simple"s at the end of the chapter/section should be "simply."

I find your opening sentence odd, as a reader. I had to read it twice to understand that Queen Lucinda wasn't being calm and authoritative, but quite immature and angry. That may be her persona, and that's good, but try to rewrite that opening description to make it more obvious that she is very angry.

I like King Rupert's reaction to Sam's sword-fighting.

Really? I heard rumors. Is she as good as they claim?


Definitely sounds like a man who is lonely in a household full of women.

Your tone seems pretty consistent to me, and you didn't do any of that randomly-changing-vocabularies thing. This is certainly an interesting idea!




User avatar
197 Reviews


Points: 1355
Reviews: 197

Donate
Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:17 am
olivia1987uk wrote a review...



“Explains what dear? I’m afraid you seem to be more informed then me on the matter at hand. God knows you always are.”


This should be be "more informed than me"

This amused me. I love the idea of expressing the marital strains of royalty as I suppose stereotypically they have a perfect life! I love the idea behind this as well. Although somewhat typical, I think if you carry this on in the fantastic style you have already adopted, it's sure to be a great piece. Highly enjoyable!





The emperor is rich, but he can't buy another day.
— Chinese Proverb