z

Young Writers Society



Sick Notes

by Joker


Guitar plucked
string and that
which along the way
away was much better than here.

I find myself
stucked in
to the victor the
spoils my friendships and sours my
tongue.

I wave when I greet
I smile when I
wave
Just wave and greet
Let's pretend
that we're all normal
                                     ly
this way

Not the jealous way
The trump card
you old card
as we raise
our voices grow dim
we hold each other
out
in the rain
we hold each other
down


We need to be
apart
          to
              be

Ourselves.
                                                       Beautiful
We could be,
but that will never happen.

We need each
other's
Sick Notes too much.
Notes plucked
Notes sung.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 494
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:16 pm
TheAlibi wrote a review...



Hey there!

Let me start out by saying that I love, love, love this piece.

I know some of the critics aren't a big fan of your choice to separate the lines in the way you did, but I'm very glad that you did. It slows the readers eye and reading speed, and clearly emphasizes the words you felt were most important. You did that very effectively. I applaud you!

A few lines I really liked:

"Not the jealous way
The trump card
you old card"

The repetition throughout your poem is very nice, but was especially effective here.

A quick critique:

"stucked in
to the victor the"

Did you mean 'sucked into'? Also, I would put 'in to' on one line, it reads better that way.

Alright! Overall a fantastic piece, I look forward to reading more of your work.

Ciao!

Albi




User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 8230
Reviews: 102

Donate
Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:19 am
Sionarama wrote a review...



Great poem! It it is very deep and interesting. A cool thing about this poem is that I had to read it several times to understand it, which is good because it is not one of those poems you get and are only surface deep. Great use of white space! I like how you tied in guitars somehow with the meaning of life and don't get sidetracked. You just say what you want and repeat (with the guitar which brings everything back together). Sweet.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 555
Reviews: 7

Donate
Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 pm
JordanPierre2000 wrote a review...



Hey Joker!
I'll be completely honest with you in saying I don't understand what the message is in this poem. The format in which it is sit out is quite strange as this bit:
We need to be
apart
          to
              be

Ourselves.
                                                       Beautiful
We could be,
but that will never happen.

Poetry is about expressing yourself with words you don't need to set out the lines acording to the line above. But with that note, the lines that I did understand we're great! You just need to work on it but it is pretty good :).

Yours,

Jordan




Joker says...


Thanks, man! Throughout my Undergraduate, I concentrated on performance poetry, which is what I write. The philosophy that you can force a reader to read something in the way you intended it to be read is also something I like to work by. It's also an indication of the subject. by breaking apart my words, I'm trying to show the clarity of each one. The use of white space is very important to me, so you'll see it in pretty much everything I write. :P. But I know exactly what you mean. It is a strange form to get used to.




Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
— Voltaire