Noting the Difference: Geek vs Nerd

by Johannah

Dedicated-with that humany-wumany stuff called love (all true Whovians will know what that means)-to those who still haven't figured out the difference. ;)

A Geek... (Related words include: geeky, geekiness, and geekdom) …Someone who has not figured out what they want to do with their life, so they-according to the Miriam Webster Dictionary-hire themselves out as clowns or carnival workers, who get paid to act scared when they bite the head off of a live chicken or snake. If you're not scared just by reading my previous sentence, then I'm here to let you know: YOU NEED HELP! …And that you probably fit in this category. Geeks are also known to be pretentious and long-winded in their grammar; and for this reason, are often not liked or understood by others. This can vary, of course, on those rare occasions when they get complimented on the ironic t-shirts that they are wearing, and they’re liked for half of a second. They also have the tendency to fall for and marry normal people.

Now, for the other end of the spectrum. Nerds! People who live socially inept lives. All of their fashion sense is completely devoted to the dressing of their minds, which are polished, waxed, and ready for finals. These are the ones who we all secretly envy, but we still haven’t developed our brains enough to conduct an intelligent conversation with them. Nerds are some of the few who have enough sense to spend their free time-the only part of their life that they aren't devoting to learning diverse and impractical skills-reading books. As they are such introverts, there’s really not that much to say about them. Nerds marry nerds... At least, that’s what the dictionary recommended (and who would take advice like that from a dictionary, except a nerd!?).

I understand that these definitions may seem a bit harsh, and when you reach the end, you have found yourself very disappointed, realizing that you don’t exclusively fit into either of these categories. (Please keep in mind that this is a reference guide mainly for entertainment purposes) However, don’t despair yet. There’s still hope that you’re normal. Or rather, special, which is an all-together entirely different category. To remedy this issue, I have come up with the supplemental titles Neek and Gerd (if you’re picky, and don’t like my options, then come up with your own). These are the people who are not entirely bonkers, neither do they only live in the world comprised of computers. For some of you, both of those just went into the same category. They can laugh can laugh at nothing in particular, and prefer to read mainly for entertainment rather than for the purpose of studying. No matter what anyone else may tell you that you are, or try to get you to be, don’t conform by trying to be goth, geek, nerd, hipster, or anything else, simply because that’s what those around you are doing or are pressuring you to do. Be who God designed you to be: yourself.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:56 am
MooCowPoop wrote a review...

Haha, this was funny, and for some reason, it's rare that I find funny things on YWS (I do not think that I have been looking in the right places a.k.a, never clicked the 'humor' link). You have a quirky writing style, and it reminds me of how I used to write... or probably still do write... Either way, it was funny.

A little technical stuff:

Why is the word 'paid' bolded? I understand that it's outrageous that geeks get paid to do this but I don't think that particular word should be bolded because at first it made me think that it was the most important word in the entire article (and it isn't).

The parentheses are excessive. Look at me being a hypocrite here. I have this problem too! They're just so great for adding in side thoughts and everything! I love them! But sometimes they get too excessive. I know it's fun adding side notes, but we must stop using so many parentheses in our writing especially so Microsoft Word won't flip out on us every time we do so. So, I think we can get through this parenthesis problem... together! See? See what I did there? That would have been a perfect parenthesis moment but instead I used ellipses! See, we can get through this! And for you, I suggest that you change this sentence:

"At least, that’s what the dictionary recommended (and who would take advice like that from a dictionary, except a nerd!?)"

To this:

"At least, that’s what the dictionary [has] recommended[.] But who [else] besides a nerd would take advice like that from a dictionary[?!]"

See? It still has that comical feel but with less parenthesis.

Enough with the grammar stuff. It's getting a little "long-winded", don't ya think? :D

Oh! To me, this essay is a little to casual. Like, I used to write just like this. It was always as if I were speaking to someone, which is entertaining, but not always helpful (especially if this is an essay for school, which I highly doubt). Although this, to me, seems like an informal essay, and I'm no expert in essays, but I do believe there is a specific structure to all essays that is meant to be ... I can't think of the word, but they have a little more structure than your essay. To me, and this is not to offend, your essay sounds like a blog entry. Perhaps you should turn it into one or just give this one a little more structure. Don't worry! It's not a huge deal but if this is an essay that's going to be reading/grading this, then you might want to get to work on that.

Lastly, the irony of this article. I thought it was funny that this article was posted on here since, by your definition, most of the people on this website are a bunch of Nerds! By the way, I also like how you try not to attack these kinds of people... in a way. I like how you don't directly attack them for who they are. :D NERD FOR LIFE!

Well, that's all I've got. Nice job!

Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

I skimmed this article and found it lacking a key metric when it comes to articles and essays: structure.

Structure is what gives works readability. By readability, I mean both how easy they are to read and how relatable they are to the general audience. A work that fails on readability will be passed up time and again, because people have no reason to sit through something that's difficult to understand.

Firstly, this work does not have context. Context is a key towards getting people interested in your nonfiction writing, because it answers the key question of: how does this relate to me? Without a breakdown of context, you lack a hook for the work and any reasons for people to keep reading.

What kind of context you give depends on if this is an article or essay. Each type relies on a different way of giving information.

Articles are inverted pyramids. They start with the most general information, and end with the most specific. To take a hypothetical example, the fact a politician is visiting is the most general, the details of his policy and past relations with the country the most specific.

Essays, however, begin with the most specific fact you can give, your introduction ending with a debatable opinion, and conclude with basically a rehash of what you said before that incorporates the evidence you've stuck in your body paragraphs to be more conclusive than your introduction. All body paragraphs work on building up your own opinion.

What you have here is neither format, and the only thing you come close to is an essay. You have a psudoconclusion, but the last paragraph has multiple ideas within it (making new terms, your own solution, and the last line of "be who God designed you to be") which makes it an invalid paragraph.

There is also a serious case of punctuation abuse. You use hyphens (-) when you should be using em-dashes (— or --). Em dashes are used to separate information, hyphens are used to connect words. This does not help your readability, because you are breaking well established norms in punctuation. Humour does not excuse you from these norms. There should be a clear reason behind any breaking of grammar rules (for example, many poets use a lowercase i in their work instead of the traditional uppercase, to show that "i" am not above "you" or anyone else in the poem) and I do not see such a clear reason here. It looks like a mistake.

What you have right now is a collection of your own opinions not formatted in any way that makes them presentable to a wider audience besides yourself. Audience widening is why essay and article structure even exist: it lets readers know what they are about to get into. If you do not tell readers why this piece is important at the get go, then they will skip over it.

Rework your structure, and this essay will be infinitely stronger.

~Rosey

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Your definition of "nerd" is a bit extreme. Nerds can be socially interactive, but only if they choose to be. Nerd is NOT synonymous with "social outcast". And what do you do about bleedovers like the Gencon people? That is a highly socially-interactive event comprised of both nerds and geeks, yet the differences between the two breeds are still maintained in that situation. Also, how do you explain nerds that have to attend school or work at a job that requires a dress code? In that case, they would "blend in" to "normal people ;) " *coughs BJU coughs*. So perhaps you should explore what you mean just a little more.

Hope this helps, Lady Johannah @}-

Johannah says...

Did I use the term outcast!? That's not exactly hoe I meant for it to come across, but I was kinda going for a gross exaggeration here... (in case you couldn't tell from my definition of geek). So I take it that you're identifying with the nerds then? :) Though I can see where you're coming from. I really didn't spend much time writing these, but rest assured when I happen upon some free time, I'll try and fix it up a little better. Yeah... well, BJ is whole nother story, lol. :P

Thanks for the review! (and why do you keep calling me that!?)

I believe this is what I was remembering as not getting written humor. Um...not in those exact words, no, but you pretty much did portray nerds that way.
You'll "try AND fix"? :D I think someone should have a talk with Miss Alicia. ;)
And I continue to call you that because I am a Knight. Knights of the Green Room
So may your writing road be clean and pure, Lady Johannah. @}-

KingKamor wrote a review...

Hi there, just here to review your article!

I think that this was a bit too short for what the description of it told me. It said "This is a compilation of brief descriptions of commonplace terms that we, often unthinkingly, use interchangeably." From this, I thought that it would be a much longer list of terms, like "gamer," and other extensions of nerd/geek like "computer geek" or "anime nerd." I was disappointed at the length and believe you should either make it much longer or change the description to better describe content.

Other than that, I thought it was entertaining, which I believe was the point, so good job!

If there was one more thing that irked me, however, it was the mention of God at the end. Of course, this is just me, but I'm agnostic and found that sentence off-putting. Take from that what you will; you don't need me telling you how to express yourself in your writing.

Keep it up!

Johannah says...

Ah.. well I stuck that description on there cause I couldn't publish it without one. Really though, that's supposed to be describing my eventual manual sized book one all of my chapter are published on YWS. Though I guess that is a bit confusing. I didn't understand where my description actually showed up one I published the piece. I appreciate your suggestions! :)

I can understand that. But then again, that sentence defines who I am, and I would be conforming, would I not, if I took my beliefs out of what I wrote. I don't express my beliefs in order to offend anybody, but neither will I be ashamed of them. However I will agree with you on the point (and correct me if I'm taking your statement wrong) that considering one's audience is vital.

Thanks again for the review!

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates