The New World

by Joeducktape

Hi everybody! This is basically about my first day in a real school. See, I was homeschooled Pre-K through 7th. 8th grade was my first taste of "real school".

And real homework. *grumblegrumble*

This was written over a period of several days during the end of the year. I actually had no intention of anyone reading this- YWSers or otherwise- but I recently read over it and decided I liked it enough to post.

So, read and critique!

I remember when we took our family trip to Cedar Point. The trip when Ethan got sick in the car and I almost had a nervous breakdown. When we got to the park, we decided to ride the largest roller coaster there-- the Millennium Force.

My mom and I stood in line for an hour amongst all the sweaty parkgoers, waiting impatiently for the line to move another foot or two forward. The closer we drew to the gate, excitement grew inside me. Once we were close enough to see the difference between the faces of the people boarding and those of the people getting off, I was stricken with fear. I began to fidget nervously in the queue, laughing in an effort to hide the fact that I desperately wanted to run from the behemoth machine that would surely result in my premature death. It was a strange mix of euphoria and nausea.

This was that feeling.

Driving past a few serene, suburban houses, the long building came into view. There was a convoy of cars driving past the sign flashing "welcome" and over the speed bumps into the parking lot.

"There it is," came a voice from the front of the car. Mom turned around in the passenger seat. I grinned widely in return. The frantic energy made my feet bounce on the floorboard. I felt myself holding my breath. My stomach was a pinball machine.

We stopped in front of the pebble-encrusted patio in front of the glass doors of the school. Jitters curled up the corners of my mouth.

"This is it," said Dad from the driver's seat. Mom twisted and leaned back to eye me.

"Alright," she said. "You ready?"

"Yup," I replied, the word coming out as a hiccup.

I picked up my backpack from the floorboards and opened the car door.

"I love you," I told both parents. They returned the sentiments. I blew a kiss to Ethan in his carseat. Waving quickly, I shut the car door and walked towards the entrance.

I wonder now if everyone could sense the shaking I was experiencing inwardly.

Inside the doors was a roar of noise. Masses of plaid idled of shuffled in the cramped lobby. Pushed up next to a trophy-case was a white table stacked with papers, and a lady seemingly trapped behind them.

"Hi," I said, preparing to explain that I was new.

"What's your name, sweetie?"

I told her.

The woman's fingers ran like spiders over the stack as she pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to me. I must have looked quite baffled, because the woman called, "Maddy, come here!"

A girl with big, white sunglasses perched on her head walked over and beamed.

"Uh-huh?"

"Can you help Haley here find her locker?"

"Sure. Follow me. Oh, what's your locker number?"

"Four fifty-one," I said, raising my voice to compensate for the din. I shoved past bodies haphazardly, tracking the bouncing white sunglasses.

We turned a corner onto a hallway filled with significantly smaller bodies, until we were standing in front of a row of maroon lockers.

"This is your locker," Maddy replied, smiling.

As inconsiderate as it was, I didn't think to say "thank you". However, as she turned to walk away, I glanced down at my schedule and called out, "Wait! Where's room 100?"

She grinned, pointing to a doorway two feet to my right.

"Oh, thanks," I said, blushing, but she was gone already.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:53 pm
Sid wrote a review...

Even though the topic of the story has been used time and time again for school portfolios, writing projects, and such, yours has to be my favorite.

First of all. I completely understand the feeling you described in the second paragraph. You really make that easy to relate to along with the whole first day of school experience. =) Ha, not fun.

I also like the way you explain everything down to how the lady at the desk finger's move. Ahh so cool.

The only thing that got me was Maddy. I don't believe she really helped the story at all. She was there then gone. So I would add more to her so we can know who she is and what role she really had in your first day of school. You say you wrote this at the end of the year, so why did you remember her showing you your locker? What were you thinking and feeling?

Oh, after thought --> Did you and Maddy become best friends and such? Or did you guys ever speak to each other again? This really isn't important to the story but it might be interesting to add. ???
[/s]

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:17 pm
Twit says...

Hey, nice! It read very smoothly, and it had a nice personal feel to it. And the subject is something I can empathize with - I'll be going to school next year for the first time in like, seven years!

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:20 pm
Sam wrote a review...

Hey, Joe!

*fangirl squeal* Tama-kun kawaii!

Here's the thing I loved majorly about this: you wrote about yourself- read, an actual experience- and it wasn't dry or boring.

Not that your life is dry or boring, but when it comes to personal experiences, people tend to bust out the 'history textbook' style, with the uber-long sentences that basically amount to nothing.

So, the one thing I've got to gripe about- work on your flow for the first two paragraphs. How could you combine things so that it has a more natural feel to it? Remember the different-clauses rule, but other than that, feel free to go wild. It's your introduction, so wow us.

You wanna be a writer? You don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen.
— Paul Simon