Magda, pt. 2

by Jiggity

Together, they crashed through the underbrush, loud as clumsy boars. Eventually, the tinkling music of running water reached their ears and they came to the banks of a stream. Cal dropped to his knees, peering into the pure, crystalline water. For the moment, only his own and Leon’s harsh figures could be seen, blocking out large clusters of stars above. As Cal’s concentration grew, he passed a hand over their reflections. There was a ripple before the images vanished, replaced briefly with complete darkness. Gradually, that darkness lightened, easing into a brilliant picture of the very sunny, Scalding Sands.

At first they could see nothing, squinting in order to protect their eyes. As their vision adjusted however, a brief trail of darkness could be seen snaking its way through the massive sand dunes. Cal passed his hand over the image and once more it rippled, clearing to show them a more distinct picture. They could now see the twenty or so men, dressed in light robes and protective head cloths, plodding forward.

After only a moment of surveillance, something shifted and stirred in the sands. Camels, far more attentive than their masters, shook and balked, recognising the danger. Their masters whipped and screamed at them as the whole train shuddered to a halt. At that moment, the insect struck. A giant, stick like creature shot up out of the sands, towering three times the height of man. Two glowing red eyes lit up the top of its head and on every one of its many arms and legs, two more shone. The men and camels were blown into chaos as its massive head reared up and struck, faster then they could move. To the horrified men watching, it seemed depressingly easy as the small bags of meat and bone they knew as friends burst like over ripe fruits, blood spraying on to the golden sands.

At the furthest end of the line, some brave soul fired arrows at the creature but they bounced harmlessly off its chitinous hide. Its head turned, giant maw opening wide in a piercing squeal, before diving back into the sands. For a moment, the man blinked in stunned disbelief as he struggled to comprehend his victory. Even as he began to smile, the creature’s head pierced the sand beneath his feet, consuming him in one smooth motion as it rose up once more. The front end of the line had regrouped in the brief interval, only five or so of the men left, the rest dead or fleeing. Arjun, that battle scarred veteran. led the charge, casting fireballs at the insects head. It flinched from the contact, scuttling backward, before darting forward with incredible speed to snap up the man on the outermost edge.

It was clear that what little damage Arjun’s magics had, would not be enough and he could do little more then watch as each of his men were picked off. He was not one to give up though, always thinking and scheming. It was not long before he was struck with an idea. He raised his arms and began to shout in a deep, guttural tongue. The effect was almost instantaneous, causing the sand in the immediate vicinity to turn a blistering white hot. Of course, merely heating the ground would do little, but this was not his intention. The sand began to solidify, merging into one long sheet of molten material that gradually transformed into glass. The insect creature scrabbled for purchase on the slippery surface, its footing lost. The last remaining men scrambled on top of it, far more sure of their balance and eventually, hacked off its beastly head. A sickly green blood leaked from the dead creature’s carcass.

Arjun and his men cheered, their jubilant shouts echoed by Cal and Leon, watching from the distant Ageless Mountains. The triumph, however, was short-lived as all around them, behind and before, the dunes began to shake and tremor as thousands of the dread insects arose.

*

Magda whistled as she walked.

The jagged rocks and gravel beneath her bare feet did not concern her and her footing, even in the dark, was sure and quick. The yawning opening in the mountainside beckoned her and she quickened her pace, dinted bucket hanging by her side. As she entered the mountain, the volume of her whistling rose, bouncing off the walls to resound with greater strength throughout the halls of stone. Her feet began to tap and dance, as she moved to the wild, fey music.

The further she went, the lighter it became. She came upon torches, spaced at regular intervals and she swept through the greasy smoke that swirled around her, mere wisps in the air. In the distance, the drums began to beat. Her call had been heard. Magda smiled, her face transformed into that of a much younger, carefree woman. The passageway was coming to an end, the beat of the drums louder and more insistent as she got closer. Wild cries, ululations of delight, rang out; the sound swelling into a full throated roar as she came into view.

She stood on a promontory. Above a giant, natural cavern, massive stalactites glittered, reflecting the light of the torches held by the fierce hill men and dwarves. Their Goddess had come and all would be well. As she stood there, the final echoes of her song dwindled and the drums were silenced. A hush came over them. Magda spoke in their lilting, accented language, explaining the situation and making her request of them. Their fierce, bearded faces grinned up at her and they all but crushed each other in an effort to reach her.

They would kill the intruders for her! They would smash their bones and drink their blood! But no, she calmed them; she had no wish for her sons to be harmed. Her plans were of a different nature and they crowed with fanatic zeal as she told them what she wanted.

*

Leon was silent.

The waters had gone black a while ago but neither man had moved. The images were seared indelibly on their minds. Storm clouds had gathered over Cal’s face; his eyes burned. Leon could feel his skin crawl. It was never good to be around Cal when such moods descended on him.

‘May the Gods have mercy on them,’ Leon whispered.

‘Gods?’ Cal hissed, turning the full force of his glare on his friend. ‘Gods have nothing to do with this! Only incompetent men and worse, the fools that trusted them.’

Leon stared, aghast. ‘You don’t mean that, Cal.’

There was silence for a moment. Cal turned his head away, clearing the waters back to their initial crystalline properties. ‘Leave me,’ he said and it was not a request. Leon rose stiffly to his feet and stamped back to the camp. Cal sat still, letting the quiet of the trees and the innocent burble of water wash over him. He wrestled with the pain for a minute, squashing it down, allowing his anger to blaze in full. If not for his iron control, the beautiful scenery around him would have withered and burned. Too many times, too many friends had been lost to the monsters, those creatures the gods cast upon the earth on a whim. He would use the Key they had sundered in the beginning of time to open the Door to ultimate power and then it would be he that dictated who and what could live.

He would cleanse this world.

No more demons, witches, trolls or any other inhuman creature to trouble humanity. Their time was at an end, he would see to it. He sat there, lost in thought, as the night faded and the stars whirled away, lost in the glory of the rising sun. Cal’s eyes were gritty but he had near endless reserves to call upon; he whirled into motion, striding into the camp and kicking sleeping bundles.

‘Get up you lazy dogs! We ascend the mountain!’ he called.

I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney