z

Young Writers Society



Anansi Boys- Neil Gaiman

by Jiggity


I just read Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman and it was awesome. Truly awesome. It is primarily a fantasy novel with some heavy comedic elements. I swear it will crack you up several times or more. That's never happened to me while reading a book; some have made me laugh once or twice (Bartimaeus trilogy comes to mind) but never like this. Neil Gaiman is different from other authors and so are his books.

Some authors write novels, trilogies with twists and turns and dramatic, shocking conclusions. Not so with Neil Gaiman: he tells stories. Simply and humorously, he recounts and creates tales; worlds of wonder filled with his own unique imagination. They are essential reads.

Described by Stephen King as "a benefit to fiction, he is a wonder-house full of stories."

People, if you haven't already done so, go out and buy or borrow a bloody copy of anything he has written.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
798 Reviews


Points: 6517
Reviews: 798

Donate
Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:37 am
Jiggity says...



I have yet to read American Gods but I sure am looking forward to it. Im also looking forward to reading the Sandman comic series. Ive been trying to get my hands on that for a while now.




User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 2834
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:56 am
smaur wrote a review...



As an obsessive Neil Gaiman fan who has read every book he's read (not to mention a heck of a lot of his comics), Anansi Boys was definitely one of his best books, but not as great as American Gods. The fact that they were so very different in tone is a very good thing, but after the sheer epic awesomeness of American Gods, the sequel kind of pales in comparison.

...having said all that, I loved Anansi Boys. It was so very perfectly, satisfyingly Neil Gaiman -- the character quirks, the dialogue, the weird mix of offbeat and scary and funny. He's come a long way from Stardust.




User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:51 am
niteowl wrote a review...



I just read American Gods, which featured an excerpt from Anansi Boys at the end. Looking forward to reading it once my to-read pile dwindles a bit. American Gods is awesome. If you haven't read it, go read it. NOW. :P





Treat all disasters as if they were trivialities but never treat a triviality as if it were a disaster.
— Quentin Crisp