z

Young Writers Society


12+

An experiment in what people will enjoy reading

by JediDeadpool, DivergentDemigod


Welcome readers! Please enter the story at the entrance in the front. As you make your way along, make sure you remember there is a world outside the story, and yet please feel free to make yourself at home during your stay. We would like to remind all audiences that although you are in fact reading the story, it is not yours. Do not bring your pre-conceived notions of 'good writing' to it, and most certainly don't bring your post-conceived notions of the writing to the movie version that will air in the future. Please also remember that the author is in fact, a bigoted jerk who has felt it prudent to not involve any of you in the creation of this journey. Have a nice day!

      Bloody teleprompters. This is exactly why you don't let them anywhere near your writing. All sorts of irrelevant pieces of information, thrust at you without any sense of formality. Speaking of formalities, I almost forgot to tell you my name, silly me. My name is Thaddeus Q. Throckmorton. Please feel free to roll the 'R'. It sounds so much more respectable like that. Now, most of my editors -of course they're not really editors. Oh, no no no. I'm MUCH too poor for that. Rather, when I say editors, I just mean friends of mine. I have enlisted one or two of my cousins as well, and even some random people I bumped into on the street who seemed to have interesting lives, and I therefore felt compelled to ask for their advice. As I was saying though, they have been calling me up, asking me all sorts of nasty things like

"Caleb, your name isn't Thaddeus, why you gotta tell the readers it is?"

and,

"Thaddeus, having a 'Q' in your name is all sorts of stuck up. What are you, an English professor?"

and even,

"Professor, I don't think that those were teleprompters... Are you making this all you as you go along?" 

     To all these people I say 'phooey." Due to the nature of my presentation, it is most fortuitous if people read this in a stuck-uppity voice which I, being Thaddeus Q. Throckmorton, will most certainly possess. Not that I am in fact stuck-uppity, but those 1-800 number people certainly leave me alone more if I'm snobby to them. Snobbishness is the best deterrent against unwanted solicitors. I'd never think about being snobbish to my editors.



      Speaking of 'editors', I received another email from them… oh wait, this one isn't from my usual jerk editors, but from my girlfriend.

      I say... did I forget to mention that my girlfriend is also one of my editors? Ah yes, it seems I have. Hey there!! You! Yeah, you! In the back!!! Don’t you shake your head at me, I didn't MEAN to fall in love with her when I first met her, it just sort of... happened...

*FLASHBACK*



“Mr. Throckmorton, I am mailing you on behalf of a small publishing label. We liked your work and have an exciting proposal that we believe you would be quite interested in. We would be more than pleased if you consider accepting it and joining our team.

Sincerely, the Banana Hipster Publishing House”



      Zounds!!… a publisher! You’ve got to be kidding me!! Egad, I’ve been waiting for this for so long! ...where did they even hear of me??? You need to answer the mail Cale... err ... Thaddeus.!! Calm down, you cannot show them how excited you are for this job, they'll be sure to take advantage of you! Play it cool, and see how it goes. Ehem,

“Yes, I have considered your offer. I may be interested in this partnership, but first tell me a bit more about the proposal.

Sincerely, Thaddeus.”



“If you are interested, I suggest we meet somewhere, and go over all the details in person? I can bring all the paperwork with me, we can discuss it, and then you can take it with you and deliberate over it at your leisure.”

      Huzzah! We have confirmation. However, I must stay cool. “Absolutely, I usually have a large chunks of time free in the morning, how does 8 A.M. work for you? I usually spend that time writing in a coffee shop I know of.”



“That time definitely works for me, if you can give me an address, I shall meet you there tomorrow morning”

      I believe I may explode. I must definitely lay down and rest after I send her the address. I may also need to go hug a cat. No, I think a dog would be better right now. Less claws, and they're as excited as I feel right now.



      I am having serious regrets about agreeing upon meeting face-to-face. Stupid me! What if I screw this up? Or maybe say something that gets me into trouble? What if they see how nervous I am and figure out my writing isn't as good as they thought? What if they don’t like me? What if they make me have... deadlines!? I cannot handle deadlines. Ah, this is silly! It’s not like I'm on a date or something. I don’t have anything to lose here... well... except for a publisher. But I didn't have one of those yesterday! And yesterday was alright, wasn't it..? Alright Thaddeus, time to shut up now. Just try and not be a jerk as usual.



“Mr. Throckmorton?” I hear a voice above me, speaking slightly odd. As if the owner had just ran through a storm of professional singers and wasn't sure if her voice was good enough to be heard anymore, yet wanting to sound as great as she could.



“Um, yeah... I'll have another small black coffee, and a bagel,” I say, expecting to look up and see an employee of the coffee shop, probably about to ask me to buy something already or get out: per the norm.



Standing in front of me was a girl. I got that much right at least.

And gods, was she beautiful. I'm glad the coffee shop has finally hired someone with a bit of physical appeal. Not saying Beatrice was ugly, but any girl who needs to wear a hair net at a coffee shop should at least have to wear it on the TOP of her head.



She's dressed in a navy blue one-piece dress and a tailored white blazer. Hmm... more casual uniforms... nice.



She has long, wavy, dark brown hair, with which I instantly fall in love with. She had a honey complexion and her eyes… those piercing green eyes… Oh yes, I'm definitely spending more time at this coffee shop!



She's holding a... briefcase??? ...okay so not a member of the staff..



"Mr. Throckmorton, I'm Sasha Ireachn, with the publishing house you spoke to yesterday?"



Oh dear lord. This better take a long time, or I may have to invite her to lunch. Wonder if she likes pizza?

*END FLASHBACK*

      So it turned out her name was Sasha... *sigh* Sasha... Anyways, she was the most attractive woman on the planet. Ahem, I mean, the public-relations manager of the publishing company I spoke with.

      It was just weeks after our first meeting that we started dating and now it has been over a year since we have been together.

      But don’t even for a second let yourself think that this relationship has given me any lee-way over my deadlines. Yes, they did stick me with deadlines. Knew it. Moreover it has gotten me way busier than I would have liked to. It's hard negotiating when you only want to agree with the person who you negotiate with. Note to self, send cousin to negotiate next time. Probably Henderson..


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 897
Reviews: 44

Donate
Sun May 15, 2016 6:27 am
View Likes
EmmVeePi wrote a review...



A story about a writer getting accepted to publication? Seems rather catering to this audience, but a dream we can all relate to.

There was definitely a plot element here about a writer writing in first person as someone else, something we've all done I'm sure, and a conflict of interest to some people, although I dont really have any issue with it.

The name 'Thaddeus Q. Throckmorton' is fantastic. I love it.

The anxiety about meeting an editor is also something I think at least some of us can relate to. The comment about the hair net on top of the head was very funny, but probably unnecessary and insulting to some people. Just my opinion.

Finally describing Sasha as the most attractive woman on the planet is not enough. Show me she is, tell me her hair and her eyes and her nose and her chin and cheeks and chest and tummy and thighs and feet. Dont just say she is attractive.

It is a fun read, and a lot of talent here, but it needs some smoothing out. Keep working at it!






okay okay....thank u anyways.... c:



JediDeadpool says...


Spoiler! :

DAMN RIGHT IT'S CATERING TO THE READER!

DAMN RIGHT IT'S A CONFLICT OF INTEREST

DAMN RIGHT IT'S A FANTASTIC NAME

DAMN RIGHT EDITORS ARE ANXIETY-INSTILLING

DAMN RIGHT I SHOULD'VE... wait no. I can't do that mate :/


Okay but in all honesty thank you for this review. I like it.

To answer your response, Yes to all the first part.

However, it IS catering to the reader. Heavily. As much as I could make it actually. In that regard describing Sasha is soooo hard for me because
a. yes I really should
b. it's for the readers, so everyone but me would disagree about her being the prettiest. While I like blue eyes, others may have a thing for green. or brown. or purple. or NO eyes (much slimmer percentage, granted, but there's those people out there) in that regard describing her isolates me from the readers.

I wanted this to be a story where while you read it you realize I'm sitting next to you laughing at it as well. Kind of if you looked over your shoulder while reading a Hulk comic and saw Stan Lee chuckling down at you



User avatar
110 Reviews


Points: 3092
Reviews: 110

Donate

User avatar
383 Reviews


Points: 19607
Reviews: 383

Donate
Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:58 pm
View Likes
Sujana wrote a review...



An interesting piece of work, certainly. I'm interested to see how this experiment turns out, but for the most part the protagonist seems to be bright and silly enough to warrant such a strange story. Of course, he reminds me of Deadpool, but that's intentional by your name. Now, before I start this somewhat-serious-toned-review-for-a-work-that-is-less-than-serious, the highlights:

-""Professor, I don't think that those were teleprompters... Are you making this all you as you go along?" " Are you making this all up as you go? is what you probably meant. On another note, this was a pretty funny line, and a character establishing moment overall. Good job on that front.

-"[What if they make me have... deadlines?!? I cannot handle deadlines.[/b]" You already know how I feel about ?!? which will be discussed later if it turns out that it truly is somewhat annoying and its not just me growing old. For now, it seems like your bbCode is showing. I suggest changing it to fit whatever format you need it to be. And as for that--while bold is an interesting choice for thought bubbles, I prefer italics, but that's a matter of preference. Italics looks quiet and all in all thoughtful, while bold fits the tone of announcements through megaphones. Then again, that might be what you were going for.

-""Mr. Throckmorton, I'm Sasha Ireachn, with the publishing house you spoke to yesterday?" Where did the other quotation mark disappear to? I suggest closing it with another quotation mark.

Now, onto the short but hopefully substantial review:

This was somewhat funny, fortunately enough. Look, I can't help but like protagonists like these--I can't even describe them, because there really are no words to do them any justice. Bombastic? Mad? Flamboyant? Pretentious? All of the above? The latter is a probable answer.

With that said, though, I felt like the text wasn't stuck-uppity enough to warrant such a stuck-uppity protagonist. I should know. I'm a professional stuck-uppity human being, ask anyone who knows me. And all stuck-uppities, no matter what, often use words with more than three syllables as often as possible, even though they might not know what they mean. What I'm basically saying is, make him say something along the lines of "That dress of yours is very chlorophyll." Pretentious, but not once suggesting that he might be bright.

I'm also a bit lost as to what the purpose of this first chapter might be. Is it an introduction to the character and his girlfriend? Where is the conflict? What is this experiment leading us into? All of this seems extremely vague, and that may or may not be distracting for the readers.

However, overall, I didn't mind this. It was somewhat funny, and it would be interesting to watch this experiment continue.

Hope this helped.

Signing out,

--EM.




JediDeadpool says...


Thank you for the review! I had hoped you liked it. I have fixed all the grammar fails.

I have also added a snippet about the stuck-uppity snobbishness... Hopefully that will pacify you, seeing as he is NOT stuck-up, or snobby, but only wants to come off as it.



Sujana says...


...Could you rephrase that? I assumed by snobbish you meant 'a person who wants to come off as smart', so by that I'm taking that you want the protagonist to come off as snobbish, as in 'a person who wants to come off as a person who wants to come off as smart'? Because, for the record, I meant that snobbish as in 'a person who comes off as smart', not an actual smart person.



JediDeadpool says...


Actually you're right. I want the protagonist to come off as snobbish, as in 'a person who wants to come off as a person who wants to come off as smart'





I Donno what u guys r talking abt... But ELLSTAR thanx for the review :)



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 439
Reviews: 34

Donate
Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:42 pm
View Likes
JediDeadpool says...



Please note that Fangirldivergent46 was incredibly helpful, and came up with about half of this, if not more. Also please note we may or may not intend on making more of it, depending on people's acceptance of it :)




Rascalover says...


I totally think you should make more! I don't have a review, but i definitely enjoyed reading it!





Yeah we'll xD




I wouldn't think "impossible" was even in your vocabulary.
— Sharpay Evans, High School Musical