z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Running out of time to live

by Jaygg


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Chapter 1

Growing up my parents always told me I would one day change the world. Always asking what I wanted to do and what I wanted to be. Who knew today would be that day? If you're reading this you're probably one of the very few whose life I hope to change with my story. So hi my name's Jaelynn Marie Gonzalez-Deperrie and a fun fact as I'm writing this I am 16 years old on december 5th I will be turning 17. Next thing I know in the blink of an eye I'll be turning 18 and officially considered an adult. Not very sure what to do with my life but I guess I´ll find out soon enough. I've been through plenty of ¨Phases¨ like when my parents would ask me at age 5 I´d say I'd wanna be a paleontologist who studies fossils, around age 10-12 I always had the typical dream of becoming a famous YouTuber moving to L.A. you probably know the rest getting lots of money getting a big house with my friends. If you ask me now at this age what I wanted to be In all honesty knowing myself I would probably make something up all because nobody knew the truth. For example, I would most definitely say something along the lines of a Poet, Songwriter, or author. But as time went on and the more I got asked that question I hadn't thought that far into my future all because I told myself I wouldn't even make it to see myself that far in the future. Now you may be saying Jaelynn, Why would you say that you're only 16 you have your whole life ahead of you but as many of you probably don't know I've been suffering from depression since the age of 13. Not a super long time of suffering I know but for me it's felt like forever. Yet again there are so many possibilities that flow through my head, both the good the bad even the in-between. So again in this book, you'll find letters compiled together for many special people in my life. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
82 Reviews


Points: 923
Reviews: 82

Donate
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:24 pm
Ley wrote a review...



Hello! Leya here to review! :)

So, from what I understand this is an autobiography. I like how you introduced myself, and the first few sentences are truly captivating and grabbed my attention straight away!

There are a couple grammar mistakes I caught, such as a few commas missing or periods missing (run on sentences).

I've been through plenty of ¨Phases¨ like when my parents would ask me at age 5 I´d say I'd wanna be a paleontologist who studies fossils, around age 10-12 I always had the typical dream of becoming a famous YouTuber moving to L.A.

This is a run-on sentence. Add some commas and a period in between these statements.

Correction:
I've been through plenty of ¨Phases¨, like when my parents would ask me at age 5 [what I would want to be when I grew up.]I´d say I'd wanna be a paleontologist who studies fossils. Around age 10-12, I always had the typical dream of becoming a famous YouTuber moving to L.A.

When read out loud, this sounds a lot smoother. There are a couple other sentences in this that are similar, so I'd double check that.

I did enjoy the ending. I think this is a wonderful idea, and I can't wait to read the next chapters! Happy Writing!




User avatar
151 Reviews


Points: 39462
Reviews: 151

Donate
Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:17 pm
PKMichelle wrote a review...



Hello friend!
Welcome to YWS! I saw your work in the Green Room and figured I’d check it out.


Per my interpretation, this is going to be a very vulnerable piece. It is going to focus a lot on depression and the messages that come from it for family and other important people in your life, seemingly taking a more inspirational route, almost as if you're trying to uplift others while telling your story.


If I could offer any sort of advice, I think it would be most focused on your grammar and sentence structure. There are several spots with run-on sentences, odd capitalizations, and a lack of useful punctuation.

For example you stated,

I've been through plenty of ¨Phases¨ like when my parents would ask me at age 5 I'd say I'd wanna be a paleontologist who studies fossils, around age 10-12 I always had the typical dream of becoming a famous YouTuber moving to L.A. you probably know the rest getting lots of money getting a big house with my friends.


There are a lot of great things going on in this sentence, but it could also be broken up and changed a little bit to make it a little easier to comprehend.

Here is how I would change the sentence. Changes will be italicized.

I've been through plenty of "phases," like when my parents would ask me at age 5, I'd say I'd wanna be a paleontologist who studies fossils. Around age 10-12 I always had the typical dream of becoming a famous YouTuber and moving to L.A. You probably know the rest, getting lots of money and getting a big house with my friends.


But, obviously, most of these are just suggestions, and it's always up to the writer, so please take this criticism lightly and know that I mean nothing negative by it—only trying to provide a somewhat useful critique.


If I had to pick my favorite part, it would have to be the opening line, or the hook, and the very last sentence of this chapter.

Growing up, my parents always told me I would one day change the world.

. . .

So again, in this book, you'll find letters compiled together for many special people in my life.


I feel like both of these open up perfectly for a very vulnerable story, as this seems like it's going to be. It also prepares us for what we are to expect throughout this novel and gives us an insight into the inspiration behind why you decided to write it.


Overall, this had a lot of great details and was an amazing setup for what could be a wonderful book! You did a great job with this, and I would like to thank you for taking the time to not only write this but post it as well. I hope you continue to put out the rest of the novel and have an enjoyable time while you do it!


Goodbye for now! I hope you have a magnificent day (or night) wherever you are!





“Writing fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at a greater truth.”
— Khalid Hosseini, Author