Looking Out My Front Door

by JayBlu

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

I saw you today, and how you looked so calm

I can't remember ever seeing you look that way before

You're face was always angry or fighting back tears

Or at least that's just how I remember it

It's been several years hasn't it? 

Last time I saw you, I tried to kill you

You were trying to do the same to me 

Funny. We used to be real good friends

War is a strange thing isn't it? 

Turns little boy's into grown men 

All it takes is one flash of gunfire

Suddenly we become veterans

Either that or we die, crazy right? 

I remember what made us enemies

They tell you to pick the better option you have

But what if you're options are all horrible?

It was fate that we became bitter enemies

I think so, because we had no good solution

The solutions were just as bad as the problem

Honestly, they may have been even worse

Still, in the end you have to choose anyways

I can remember that look in your eyes

I'm sure I had a similar one that last night

We knew in the morning, we would be enemies

It's almost tragic that we hugged for a minute

Sometimes I wonder if I dreamed the whole thing

I remember we both said we were sorry before you left

We were sorry and we were so damn scared

Still, fate cared not. Two childhood friends turned enemies

We were sorry because we loved both eachother like brothers

But that next morning, we could no longer care for one another

That last handshake and that final smile, war has no heart

We both fought many battles after that didn't we? 

Seen so many die, so many tears, so much rage

I've never seen you look so calm before you know? 

It's shame you'll never read this letter of mine

I saw you in that casket today. 

I felt it was unfair of me to cry. 

Like it was some sort of betrayal to you. 

I don' understand why I felt that way. 

I've never seen you look so calm before

I think you were just glad it was over

I think you were glad you could finally rest 

Rest in peace brother, maybe next time......

PenguinAttack wrote a review...

Hey JayBlu,

I know this poem is obviously very personal to you so I want to preface this review with the fact that I'm not commenting on the experience expressed in the poem. Nor am I commenting on you, the individual in the poem or the emotions that you express. This review is all about the craft of writing poetry. I'm sorry if anything I say touches a chord in an unpleasant way.

With that out of the way; I think that this is more of a monologue than it is a poem. I understand what is happening here, this kind of dramatic recital, but I don't think that it is really reflecting a poetic instance in the way you might want. I like that you're so clear in your intent and that clarity works really well to keep your reader interested and moving through the lines. In addition to this you're not at all light on emotion, we've got that in spades ad it is very easy to feel sympathy and empathy for your narrator because the way you've written this is very personable if not relatable.

I'd like to see some more imagery, some more clarity in the narrative. Your language slides a little in sections from a contemporary tone to things like "Still, fate cared not." I'd pick one and stick with it, because otherwise it detracts from the message you're giving out. The lack of focus some of your lines have means that in some sections of your poem I lost the thread of what you were saying - you were rambling/naval-gazing, which is in the end confusing and distracting from the poem.

My suggestions would be to read this out loud, feel how/where it becomes a little rambly and cut back in those sections. Don't feel bad if you have to slice out lines to make your whole poem more clear cut. If you love a line you can always use it in another poem later (I am forever recycling lines). The second suggestion would be to consider, very carefully, what the purpose of your poem is and what kind of message you want your readers to get from this. Right now your poem is a really good catharsis piece and I can see how good it probably was to write it. But when you're giving work to people it stops being just about you, and becomes about what your audience can connect to.

If you do decide to change anything, please let me know, I'd love to check it out.

Thanks for posting!
-Penguin.

mb1221 wrote a review...

Wow, the context of this poem is brilliant. I got really sentimental after reading this.
Greatly written, clear phrases. I would just like to say a couple of things for you to consider next time: When writing poetry, try to avoid using full sentences (in fact, do not use any at all) but instead, decorate your work with poetic devices such as imagery, symbolism, rhyming schemes, etc. That way, the poem will be easier and more fun to read. Other than that, as I have said previously, this is a good piece. Keep up the great work! :)

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham