z

Young Writers Society



Paul The Unicorn and the Magical Carrot Pie

by Jalmoc


One day, Paul was on his way to see the baker man, to get his famous carrot pie. He went up to the baker man’s house and used his magical horn to ring the bell. A big jolly man came and answered the door, but he looked incredibly sad.

“What is wrong Baker Man?” asked Paul with worry in his purple eyes. The Baker man sighed and put his head against the door frame.

“One of my gingerbread men ran off with your Carrot Pie, and has gone into the Bunny territory. As you know, the Bunnies frown upon humans, so I can’t retrieve it.”

Paul laughed at this and said,” Well I can go get it! The little bunnies are my best friends!” The Baker Man smiled and nodded his head. Paul skipped down the sidewalk and started heading for the rainbow.

Paul ran across the rainbow, excited to see his friends. But, when he got there, Bunniville was empty! We looked all over the town, looking for his fluffy little friends. He went to a house in the far back, and noticed that the door was open.

Paul went inside, and couldn’t see a thing. All of the sudden a light flicked on and all the little bunnies jumped out and yelled, “Surprise!”

Paul smiled as they screamed happy birthday and the gingerbread man handed him the famous Carrot Pie.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 350
Reviews: 50

Donate
Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:22 pm
zephion wrote a review...



Hey jalmoc,

Zephion here, preparing to review this for you. First of all, I'd like to say that this title made me SO happy. That is just an awesome title. Your story itself is slightly ridiculous, but it's supposed to be. You pack so much content into this little piece, which is a really great job. I fi were to write this it would be twice as long and half as good, so kudos for that. Yes, this doesn't make much sense, but that's what's so great about it. Anyway, thanks for sharing this and keep writing!

Zephion




User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 5211
Reviews: 184

Donate
Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm
veeren wrote a review...



Hey there, Jalmoc :D

Usually when I review a piece, I pick out certain parts as I read to correct. However, due to the size of your work, I decided to read it all first, then review.
While I can't say this was boring, it wasn't as funny as I expected it to be. You had a great setup for a story but it turned out to be more of a children's bedtime story.
That being said, there are still some errors that I though I should point out.

Spoiler! :
A big jolly man... looked incredibly sad


This is contradicting. Jolly means happy/humorous, and sad means, well, sad.

Spoiler! :
What is wrong Baker Man?


There should be a comma after 'wrong'.

Spoiler! :
The Baker man sighed...


This should start it's own paragraph.

Spoiler! :
The Baker Man smiled


This should also start its own paragraph.

Spoiler! :
his friends. But, when he got


This is awkwardly written, it should be: his friends, but when he got

Spoiler! :
We looked all over


I'm sure you meant 'he' not 'we'.

Spoiler! :
inside, and couldn’t


The comma isn't necessary.

The rest was fine.
Again, the only problem I had was the ending. Perhaps you aimed this towards a much younger audience, so I wouldn't be able to see the beauty in it. Whatever it is, it's still a great piece.
Keep on writing :D




User avatar
272 Reviews


Points: 10554
Reviews: 272

Donate
Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:51 pm
beckiw wrote a review...



Hey Jalmoc!

Bahahahaha! Unlike Alpha, this made me smile at work. It's just so bizarre and random that I sort of loved it.

The only major slip up I could see was what Deadman pointed out when you went from third to first person and it was a bit confusing. I think you did this on another thing I read so just be careful with it.

I could sort of see this as a child's story. There is that sort of tone and vibe going on but to make it work as a children's story, you'd need to put in some sort moral to the story or at least more of a journey. Right now it's just a load of random happenings and even though they made me smile, they don't make for a rounded story.

I know that was short but I hope it helped! :)

Bex x




User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 10056
Reviews: 81

Donate
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm
Deadman wrote a review...



Well first off I'd like to say it's good to see you writing again! Secondly, I find humor in this but that's probably because I've read your story "Bunnies are Evil" and the bunnies in the two stories contradict. Next off you seem to have made a small error in your fifth paragraph second line.

"We looked all over the town, looking for his fluffy little friends" Up till now I thought Paul was alone, also I though we where in Third person. Here we jumped to First person and It doesn't flow right anyway. I think it was a simple mistake of putting We instead of He.

Other than that it's pretty well written, but it could still use some more filling. This story left me wishing there had been more to read. Before you say it yes I understand it's a short story, but short stories still need that filling.

Keep on writing,

Deadman




User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 17265
Reviews: 107

Donate
Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm
Alpha wrote a review...



Eeeerm.
I dont know how to break this to you, but this isn't even remotely funny. There was no humor (or if there is, it's probably squashed by all this skipping-thru-the-daises atmosphere). I didn't smile at all. In fact, the ending mad me groan out loud and roll my eyes.
It's just... I don't know. It's unoriginal. It's stale. Un-witty. Maybe I missed the whole point, but come one, I'm sure you can do better than this. Give us something fresh, something original. We want to laugh, our days are just monotonous and we need something to break that.

i'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry if I sounded harsh. I'll be happy to read something you wrote anytime.
Cheers,
Alpha




Jalmoc says...


Sorry, it wasn't exactly my best writing. But thanks for the criticism!




A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl