The Professor

by Jahandar

Thomas, a respected professor at the university, was imparting his wisdom onto his young student, James. At 63 years of age, Thomas had dedicated his life to the study of philosophy, with a particular interest in the works of Arthur Schopenhauer.

As he lectured, Thomas emphasized the importance of asking questions. "It is through the art of questioning that we are able to gain understanding, James," he said. "Only through asking the right questions can we hope to find the right answers. That is why I always assign questioning as homework in my classes. Those who ask the most insightful questions are often the ones who excel in my course."

James listened intently, his curiosity piqued. "I see the value in questioning, Professor Thomas," he said. "But is it not also important to have a deep understanding in order to ask the right questions?"

Thomas nodded sagely. "You are correct, James. Asking the right questions is crucial, but it is equally important to strive for understanding. We must not only ask, but also seek to comprehend the answers. It is through this combination of questioning and understanding that we are able to truly progress."

James thought about this for a moment before asking, "How can we achieve this deeper understanding, Professor?"

"To attain understanding, one must constantly strive to learn and grow," Thomas replied. "We must question our own thoughts and beliefs, read widely, and seek out the thoughts of others. Only through this process of intellectual contemplation and analysis can we hope to expand our understanding."

James nodded, determined to put these lessons into practice. "I will make sure to ask more questions and strive for understanding, Professor Thomas," he said.

Thomas smiled, pleased with his student's dedication. "I have no doubt that if you continue on this path, James, you will achieve great things. Remember, it is through the marriage of questioning and understanding that we are able to reach new heights of knowledge."

"Indeed, James, it is through the pursuit of knowledge that we are able to elevate ourselves above the mundane and trivialities of everyday life," Thomas continued. "To be a true philosopher, one must not only ask questions, but also delve into the depths of understanding and contemplation. Only then can we hope to attain true wisdom and enlightenment."

James nodded, his eyes sparkling with excitement at the prospect of gaining such understanding. "I will do my best to live up to your expectations, Professor Thomas," he said.

Thomas smiled, patting James on the shoulder. "I have no doubt that you will, my dear boy. Remember, the path to knowledge is a never-ending journey, but it is one that is most certainly worth taking. So go forth, James, and ask your questions. Seek understanding and enlightenment, and never stop striving for more."

And with these words of encouragement, James set off on his journey towards knowledge and understanding, determined to become a true philosopher in his own right.

James was in awe of Professor Thomas's vast knowledge and intelligence. He had never met anyone who was so well-versed in the philosophical works of Schopenhauer and other great thinkers. Every time Thomas spoke, James hung on his every word, determined to absorb as much knowledge as possible.

As the weeks went by, James found himself becoming more and more fascinated by philosophy. He began to spend long hours in the library, pouring over books and articles in an effort to expand his understanding. And as he delved deeper into the subject, he began to see the world in a whole new light.

One day, during a particularly intense discussion with Professor Thomas, James had an epiphany. "I see now, Professor," he said, his eyes shining with excitement. "It is not only through questioning and understanding that we can achieve enlightenment, but also through the application of reason and logic."

Thomas nodded, a proud smile spreading across his face. "Exactly, James. You have grasped the true essence of philosophy. It is through the use of reason and logic that we are able to separate truth from falsehood, and gain a deeper understanding of the world around us."

James was thrilled at his own insights, and felt more determined than ever to continue on his journey towards knowledge and understanding. And with the guidance of his wise mentor, Professor Thomas, he knew that he was well on his way to becoming a true philosopher in his own right.

As James continued to study under Professor Thomas, he found himself becoming more and more immersed in the world of philosophy. Thomas had a way of bringing the works of great thinkers to life, and James found himself entranced by the ideas and insights of philosophers such as Plato, Aristotle, and Kant.

But it was not just the ideas of these philosophers that captivated James, but also the way in which Thomas spoke about them. His words were carefully chosen and delivered with the utmost gravitas, imbuing the concepts with an almost tangible weight.

"It is the duty of the philosopher to not only question and understand, but also to synthesize the insights of the past with the knowledge of the present," Thomas said one day, his voice deep and resonant. "Only through this synthesis can we hope to move forward and make progress in our understanding of the world."

James nodded, his mind racing with the implications of these words. He knew that he had a long way to go before he could claim to be a true philosopher, but he was determined to follow in the footsteps of his mentor and continue on his journey towards enlightenment. And with the guidance of Professor Thomas, he knew that he was well on his way to achieving his goal.

As James continued to study under Professor Thomas, he found himself becoming more and more confident in his own philosophical abilities. He had always been a curious and questioning person, but under the tutelage of the seasoned professor, he had learned to hone his skills and delve deeper into the mysteries of the universe.

One day, during a discussion about the nature of reality, James ventured to offer his own thoughts on the matter. "It seems to me, Professor," he said, his voice steady and sure, "that the concept of reality is highly subjective. What we perceive as real may be different from person to person, depending on their individual experiences and perspectives."

Thomas nodded, a faint smile playing on his lips. "An astute observation, James. You are quite correct in your assessment. Reality is a fluid concept, shaped by our individual experiences and understandings. It is the philosopher's task to recognize this subjectivity and strive for a more universal understanding."

James couldn't help but feel a sense of pride at Thomas's praise. He knew that he still had much to learn, but he was confident that with the guidance of his mentor, he would continue to make progress on his journey towards enlightenment.

As their discussions continued, Professor Thomas often drew upon the insights of other philosophers to illustrate his points. "As Socrates famously said, 'The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing'," he said one day, his voice taking on a lecturing tone. "This statement highlights the importance of questioning and seeking knowledge, for it is only through the admission of our own ignorance that we can truly begin to learn and understand."

James nodded, taking in the words of the ancient Greek philosopher. He knew that he still had much to learn, but he was determined to keep an open mind and continue on his journey towards enlightenment.

"And as Descartes stated, 'Cogito, ergo sum'," Thomas continued, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "This statement, 'I think, therefore I am', underscores the importance of introspection and self-reflection in the philosophical process. It is through the examination of our own thoughts and beliefs that we can begin to understand ourselves and our place in the world."

James listened intently, his mind racing with the implications of these words. He knew that he had a long way to go before he could claim to be a true philosopher, but he was grateful for the guidance of Professor Thomas and was determined to continue on his journey towards understanding and enlightenment.

One day, after a particularly engaging philosophy class, James and Professor Thomas found themselves sitting in a cozy café, sipping on steaming cups of coffee and continuing their discussion on the nature of truth.

"What is truth, Professor?" James asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. "How can we know what is true and what is not?"

Thomas took a slow sip of his coffee, his eyes fixed on the distance as he considered the question. "Ah, the eternal conundrum," he said, his voice heavy with contemplation. "The search for truth is a noble pursuit, one that has occupied the minds of philosophers for centuries. But the nature of truth is a complex and elusive concept, one that defies easy definition."

James listened attentively, his eyes fixed on his mentor as he spoke. He knew that Thomas was a well-respected philosopher, with decades of experience and wisdom to draw upon.

"Truth is a multifaceted concept, encompassing both objective and subjective elements," Thomas continued, his words measured and precise. "It is the eternal quest of the philosopher to seek out the objective truth, to uncover the universal laws that govern the world around us. But at the same time, we must also recognize the subjective nature of truth, the ways in which our individual experiences and perspectives shape our understanding of the world."

James nodded, his mind racing with the implications of these words. He knew that he still had much to learn, but he was determined to continue on his journey towards enlightenment, guided by the wisdom of Professor Thomas.

"But how do we know what is true, Professor?" James asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. "How can we distinguish between truth and falsehood?"

Thomas smiled, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "That, my dear James, is a question that has plagued philosophers for centuries. But as I have said before, truth is a multifaceted concept, encompassing both objective and subjective elements. In order to uncover the objective truth, we must rely on reason and evidence, using the tools of logic and critical thinking to evaluate the veracity of our beliefs."

"But we must also recognize that subjective truth is equally important," Thomas continued, his voice taking on a more contemplative tone. "Our individual experiences and perspectives shape our understanding of the world, and it is through the examination of these subjective truths that we can gain insight into the complexities of the human experience."

James listened intently, his eyes fixed on his mentor as he spoke. He knew that he had a long way to go before he could claim to be a true philosopher, but he was grateful for the guidance of Professor Thomas and was determined to continue on his journey towards understanding and enlightenment.

"Professor, do you have any recommendations for books on the subject of truth?" James asked, eager to continue his learning.

Thomas smiled, his eyes lighting up with excitement. "Indeed I do, my dear James. There are many excellent books on the subject of truth, but I will recommend five that I believe are particularly enlightening. First, there is Plato's "Theaetetus", which explores the nature of knowledge and truth in great depth. Then, there is Aristotle's "Metaphysics", which delves into the fundamental nature of reality and being. Third, there is René Descartes' "Meditations on First Philosophy", which examines the foundations of knowledge and truth. Fourth, there is Immanuel Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason", which explores the limits of human understanding and the nature of truth. And finally, there is Ludwig Wittgenstein's "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus", which presents a unique and thought-provoking approach to the nature of truth and language."

James listened intently, taking note of the titles that Professor Thomas had recommended. "Thank you, Professor," he said, his eyes shining with excitement. "I can't wait to start reading these books and continuing my journey towards understanding and enlightenment."

Thomas chuckled, patting James on the shoulder. "I have no doubt that you will find great enlightenment in these books, my dear James. And to help you on your journey, I will give you a copy of Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason"." With that, he reached into his bag and produced a well-worn copy of the book, handing it to James with a smile.

James took the book with gratitude, his heart full of excitement at the prospect of delving into the depths of philosophical thought. He knew that he still had much to learn, but he was determined to continue on his journey towards understanding and enlightenment, guided by the wisdom of Professor Thomas and the insights of the great philosophers.

As Thomas drove James home, the two continued to discuss philosophy, their conversation flowing easily and naturally. Thomas was pleased to see James's enthusiasm and curiosity, and he enjoyed sharing his knowledge and insights with the young student.

As they drove, James asked Thomas about his thoughts on the concept of free will. Thomas stroked his chin thoughtfully, his eyes fixed on the road ahead. "Ah, free will is a complex and contentious topic, my dear James. Many philosophers have grappled with the question of whether we truly have free will, or whether our choices and actions are predetermined by outside forces. Personally, I believe that we have a certain degree of free will, but that it is also influenced by external factors such as upbringing, environment, and genetics. It is a delicate balance, and one that we must constantly strive to understand and navigate."

James listened intently, taking in Thomas's words and considering them carefully. "I see," he said, his brow furrowed in thought. "It's a difficult concept to wrap my head around, but I think I understand what you mean."

Thomas smiled, pleased to see James's eagerness to learn and understand. "I hope that my words have been of some help to you, James. Remember, the journey towards understanding and enlightenment is a lifetime pursuit, and there will always be more to learn and discover."

As they reached James's home, Thomas pulled up to the curb and came to a stop. "Well, here we are," he said, turning to James with a warm smile. "I hope you have a pleasant evening, and I look forward to our next discussion on the subject of truth."

James thanked Thomas and stepped out of the car, his head buzzing with new ideas and insights. He knew that his journey towards understanding and enlightenment was far from over, but he was grateful for the guidance and wisdom of his professor, and he looked forward to continuing on his journey in the company of Thomas and the great philosophers.

As Thomas settled into bed that evening, he reached for the book on agnosticism that he had been reading before sleep. He had always been fascinated by the concept, and he found himself returning to it time and time again.

Thomas flipped through the pages, his eyes scanning the text as he absorbed the ideas and arguments presented by the author. He found himself drawn in by the idea that, as humans, we cannot truly know or understand the ultimate nature of reality, and that we can only approach it with skepticism and humility.

As he lay in bed, Thomas's mind raced with thoughts and questions about the nature of reality, and he found himself lost in deep contemplation. Eventually, he closed the book and set it aside, letting out a deep sigh as he settled back against his pillow.

Despite the late hour, Thomas's mind was still buzzing with ideas and he knew that he would have trouble falling asleep. But he was content to lie there, his thoughts drifting as he considered the mysteries of the universe and the limitations of human understanding. Eventually, he surrendered to the pull of sleep, his mind still swirling with thoughts and questions as he drifted off into the realm of dreams.

Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:53 am

First Impression: This was a lovely piece here. Its a simple idea studded with many many powerful thoughts emanating across it all in a powerful little constellation of so many philosophical ideas and you paint quite the picture here.

Well this is a lovely place to start here. Looks like we have ourselves a pretty good lecturer there, at least the advice being offered right here seems to be pretty solid. Its a lovely little conversation to get things started here. Let's see where this goes.

Hmm well it seems we're diving into some rather interesting concepts there. Both the student and the Professor seem to care quite a bit about this sort of thing and they're just trying to reach a consensus on the best way to learn something. Its a beautiful place to start off here.

Hmm we're building on this idea of knowledge really well I think. Its a rather simple idea to discuss but somehow you manage to lend it a lot of gravity in this simple respect these two characters appear to show each other.

Ahh this relationship becomes better and better as we go on. It seems a rather rare case of a student that's really dedicated mixing well with a Professor who cares enough to dedicate some time to help guide said student.

Oooh this is interesting. We're taking a dive towards the vast world of philosophy. Its a very interesting combination to mix something of that nature with a discussion on how best to pursue knowledge because it seems they'll be a lot more questions to ask now.

Hmm well this is a lovely little journey here, watching how James gets more and more inspired by his Professor with each passing day and how its driving him to new perspectives and new answers to the same questions he thought he had the final answer to once upon a time.

Ahh this is a lovely little evolution to watch here. You can really see how James is growing and quite how proud all of this growth is making our professor here. The determination James has to grown while under the Professor's tutelage is also brought across to us pretty well here I think.

Oooh this is a lovely little evolution. I love how over the weeks or months here of learning Thomas becomes so familiar with James and the questions he always ends up coming to that here they are just talking about this subject peacefully sipping coffee almost like friends even though James is still learning as a student. Its a powerful little moment there.

Oooh it looks like we've run into an interesting situation where perhaps the simple answer that Professor Thomas seems to have and believe in isn't quite enough to satisfy James' curiosity entirely and he is therefore about to embark on his own journey to discover something perhaps new.

Ooooh this is really starting to take on a different light here as we see James be more and more curious to simply know more and we can observe as Thomas appears to almost pass that torch along there for James to be able to think ahead of what's already been agreed upon in this philosophy that the books contain.

Hmm I love that it appears that James and his many questions and thoughts have also managed to create a situation where Thomas is also motivated to think more and try and understand better answers for the questions James' keeps happening. Its a beautiful moment to see this conversation stimulating even the Professor to learn more.

Overall: Overall, a rather lovely read. Beyond the simple surface philosophy staring at us the beautiful relationship between James and Thomas and the way they help each other become curious and want to learn more is a wonderful little tale here.

Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:29 pm
Liminality wrote a review...

Hi there Jahandar!

The premise of this story sparked my interest, because I’m an undergraduate student of Philosophy myself.

First Impressions

The first thing that stood out to me is how optimistic everyone seems. The atmosphere in general feels optimistic and idealistic just based on the dialogue. Another thing I notice is that it’s a story where nothing ‘bad’ seems to happen at all. The teacher and student converse and converse, and then everyone goes home. I was also surprised that James didn’t have to do something to prove he had progressed in becoming a ‘true’ philosopher by the end of the story.

"The search for truth is a noble pursuit, one that has occupied the minds of philosophers for centuries. But the nature of truth is a complex and elusive concept, one that defies easy definition."

I think out of all the things Professor Thomas said, this one feels the most like something I’ve heard from one of my own lecturers in philosophy ^ The phrase “defies easy definition” definitely crops up a lot in Western philosophy!

Glows – What I liked

Something this story has going for it is the clarity of writing. I like that it’s made clear what James’s goal is – he wants to become a “true” philosopher. I also like how the introduction very quickly and neatly describes who the characters are, what they are doing and where they are. The positive and supportive friendship between James and his professor is also quite heartwarming.
The style of the narration and dialogue was also consistent from start to end. It all felt like one smooth piece of writing, without any odd jumps or changes that would confuse a reader.

Grows – Ideas to consider

Something you might want to think about when writing your next piece or revising this one is conflict. Usually, when reading a story, readers expect to see something ‘happen’. To be specific to your story, when I read the first paragraphs, I kept asking myself: what problem is James going to face? How will he resolve it? His relationship with Professor Thomas seems good for now, but don’t philosophers usually end up arguing?

James keeps having this same reaction of plain acceptance whenever Professor Thomas tells him something. In my experience during (Western) philosophy class, students usually have a wider variety of reactions and responses. Sometimes they get frustrated and feel like they’re not smart enough for philosophy, or they feel attacked by the professor. I found myself wondering – is James going to encounter a struggle like that soon? And I felt a little disappointed that he didn’t, even though everyone was happy at the end. This boils down to creating conflict or problems for the characters to solve, so that there is tension or a feeling of something ‘happening’ in the plot to hook the reader’s interest.
Also, this is just a minor nitpick – I thought it was kind of odd that Professor Thomas is so quick to support James’s assertion that reason and logic are important, if his main subject of study was Schopenhauer. This is because Schopenhauer is from a school of philosophy that typically rejects rationality. See this quote from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, which is a great resource if you’re ever looking to write more philosopher-characters in your stories in the future:
Arthur Schopenhauer was among the first 19th century philosophers to contend that at its core, the universe is not a rational place.
(LINK)

It was nice to see some philosophy-related discussion in the form of a short story on this site! I like how you’ve woven in the references to some ‘landmark’ literature in Western philosophy. Having ‘become a philosopher’ as a character goal is also an interesting one.

Hope this helps – let me know if you’d like more feedback!
-Lim

I am deeply disturbed by your ability to meow.
— Carina