18+ Language Violence Mature Content

Monster

by JKH

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

He just stood there, watching her from afar. 

Every move she made, every breath she took, he observed. 

When she finally walked away from her friends at the bar, he felt how his heart started beating faster and faster. 

He started to slowly move towards her, but his movements were rigid and slow at first but they quickly picked up their pace. 

He felt his ever so fast beating heart skip a beat when he saw her entering the bathroom. 

The voices in his head grew louder and louder the closer he got. 

When he finally reached his destination he practically kicked down the door and once inside he slammed it shut with all his might. 

She ran out of one of the stalls and let out a spine chilling scream when she saw him. 

He looked at her, tilted his head and grinned. 

She felt his hand being place upon her throat and how he started pulling her towards one of the bathroom sinks. 

Repeatedly he smashed it into the sink and when he was done, there wasn’t a single surface inside the bathroom that wasn’t covered in blood. 

Her lifeless body fell to the ground and he looked down at the mess he’d made. 

He slowly reached for one of her limbs, and promptly ripped it off. 

Placing the limb in his mouth he took a large bite of the soft, tender flesh. 

He felt how his strength returned to him and how the voices finally shut up, and he took another bite…

Okay, I don't know whether to start being invested in what seems like a potentially cute and romantic moment or start mentally preparing myself to witness what seems to be setup as a rather creepy moment. Its just pretty ambiguous here at the moment and I find myself not quite knowing what to do or what to think, which is a good way to start off a story I think cause it keeps the reader on their toes. Let's see which particular direction this goes in.

Well that took a hard right turn into definitive creepy territory. Oh dear, well that was certainly very sudden and very graphic there. You don't waste any words whatsoever fluffing this up but get right into the middle of all the action and I think that works out very well here in the long run cause it really creates a powerful jarring image in the reader's mind.

So that went all out there to end on. I suppose the title of this story should have made that pretty evident right off the bat, but I never quite expected things to develop this badly. At any rate, in the end we have ourselves quite a powerful little story here, one that really makes you think a couple of times and leaves you with a nice little twist there. Overall, a fairly decent job here. :D

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:55 pm
SteppeVesteffi wrote a review...

Hello,

I liked this. This is the type of story that can go either way, but I thought you (mostly) pulled it off.

I enjoyed the way it was written—the strangeness of it fit the story and subject matter. The separate lines kind of served as a nice way to underscore the titular monster's detachment from everyone else—whether or not that was your intention. The choppiness of the sentences also helped create the right atmosphere—that sort of frightening, dire feel a monster story really needs.

I even kind of liked the fact that this story didn't have a lot of description, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, when it comes to a monster story, there's really two ways you can go: describe the monster in vivid, heart-stopping detail, or leave the monster a shadowy, murky figure, allowing your readers to fill in the blanks. In this case, you went for the latter. Some readers will appreciate that; others, not so much. It's all a matter of taste. I like monster stories both ways, but in this case, I think the latter choice fit this story well because of its length and unique style.

I do think, however, that some descriptions of the surroundings or, as mckeownm suggested, the actual death itself, would've been quite nice. Although I can see why you left that out, because how you wrote this—those choppy lines separated by paragraph breaks—doesn't really allow for a lush paragraph of imagery.

To make up for the lack of imagery, more insight into the monster's mind would've been great—or even insight into the victim's mind, if you were intentionally trying to leave the monster a question mark in all aspects. But all in all, I did enjoy this—it served its purpose well, and told a nice little monster story (yes, I just described a monster story as "nice" and "little") that didn't feel too stale or clichéd.

Now onto some nitpicks:

The "just" in this line is bumming me out. I think it sounds better—smoother, simpler, more frightening—without it.

but his movements were rigid and slow at first but they quickly picked up their pace.

"But" is repetitive. (The ten-year-old boy buried inside me is suppressing the urge to giggle right now.)

Possibly the weakest line of the story, for a few reasons. First: "his ever so fast beating heart" is overwrought, and so flowery that it doesn't really fit—that feels more like a line from a romance novel set in Victorian times. Second, you use "beating" and "beat" right together, which sounds weird and repetitive. Altogether, this sentence feels disjoined, out of place and odd.

Comma after "destination," em dash after "door," comma after "once inside." Though I think this would be a lot nicer if it were a couple of shorter, choppier, separate sentences rather than a single long, ungainly one. Perhaps try:
"When he finally reached his destination, he practically kicked down the door. Once inside, he slammed it shut with all his might."

This is another line that I think would work better—and be more dramatic—if it was shorter. I'd strike the bit about her leaving the stall entirely, and just keep the "spine-chilling scream" part (you need a hyphen in that, by the way). I'd also ax that last part—"when she saw him." That's not really necessary, and the scream carries more weight if it's on its own.

Repeatedly he smashed it into the sink

"It"? What's "it"?

So, this was quite a nice story, I'd say. It's a little rough, but wasn't it? As I said, I liked the idea behind it, and the unique way its written... it's entertaining, and truly chilling at times. Nice work!

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:49 am
mckeownm wrote a review...

Hi!

This is my first longer review so bear with me :)

First of all I think you have a really good idea to start with and some really great vocabulary in there too. Overall a strong story as you are able to convey a certain emotion in a short amount of time. Now for the critique:

I really think you could develop your idea. I loved the last line when you talk about how his strength returns and the voices shut up... Is he a cannibal? Why are their voices in his head? How has this problem started or was he born with it? I am a strong believer in keeping your reader guessing, so you definitely don't have to answer all these question or give your monster a long backstory but I think you could hint at some of these things to add depth to his character.

The second main thing that you could improve on is adding auditory, kinetic, sound and of course the visual imagery. For me, a key thing with the horror genre is building up the suspense which is most commonly through description. Especially when he's bashing her head against the sink (great idea by the way) you could say something like - The sound of her skull slowly smashing wasn't even his favourite part, it was the dry, slow and scratchy sound of her scalp being pulled from her head - bit by bloody bit. (I apologize for my atrocious grammar and grotesque depiction). If you don't want as violent a scene thats completely fine, you can lean more towards the psychological side. :) Something like - Through the blood he caught a glimpse of her eyes and almost laughed. Behind the pain, the agony, the fear was real, genuine, relief. What a pleasant coincidence.

But your story is really great! I love your idea and I hope you develop it even more :)

Best wishes,
Maya

JKH says...

Thanks for your critique, I appreciate it.

I do agree with you (and everyone else who's reviewed "Monster") on that I should have made the entire thing more detailed and descriptive, and I will, since I'm planning on totally rewriting the entire story with every piece of criticism I've gotten so far in the back of my head whilst doing so.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:53 pm
wilma216 wrote a review...

Personally I think this story is good, but the way the format is, every sentence separated from the other, kind of makes me uncomfortable. (Don't intend to understand what i mean by that.) Also your transition from one move to the other, leaves me with a lot of question. What are these voices? What kind of monster is he? Why this female in particular? Why didn't he just bite her right away? I'm left wanting a lot more details.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:21 am
KiraThePotatoChip wrote a review...

Hello, I'm here to review your work!

So, overall the story is very good. Now, I have no complaints about grammar, formatting, length or anything like that, but the transition is not real smooth from beginning to end. The entire piece raises a lot of questions; what it this attacker, is it truly a monster, or a deranged man, why hunt this one girl? These are fine left unanswered, as a mystery is great when pulled off correctly. Now, I understand this is supposed to be a short story, but I feel like more should be added. The story has a good base, but you should try pushing it to the next level. Add details such as what lead up to the events, why the events happened, unless you are fine with the product you have, and see no need to add to it, which is also fine, whatever fits your vision! Overall the story is quite nice, but if you want to improve it, you might consider adding more story.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:26 am
Dracula wrote a review...

Hey there, JKH! This is really short, but I really enjoyed it! It's a great little piece of flash fiction. Some areas are lacking in description, such as the beginning. I'd like to know more about his motives and why he is such a monster. But later on, the imagery is really strong, such as 'there wasn’t a single surface inside the bathroom that wasn’t covered in blood.' It turned from a casual 'creepy guy in a bar' story to a full-on horror flick very fast, and that's not necessarily a bad thing- just add more description! I loved the story, it just needs to be extended that tiny bit. :)

JKH says...

Thanks for the review.
I'll try to keep it in mind the next time I write something to add a little bit more description.

I am big enough to admit I am often inspired by myself.
— Leslie Knope