z

Young Writers Society



To Write In Greek

by JFW1415


This is part of a collection of 100 short stories, some more like rambles. It is for a challenge on LJ that I never officially entered, since I don’t have a LJ account, but am completing anyway. They supply a list of 100 phrases/words that are to be your prompt. Using the same character, you write something on them.

Currently being edited.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
582 Reviews


Points: 1068
Reviews: 582

Donate
Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:18 pm
KJ wrote a review...



I thought this confusing and I wondered what exactly the point of it was. Are you trying to tell us that she isn't good at school work? That her and her teacher dislike each other? I was often lost and I found myself distracted because I couldn't understand what was happening.

Need to make more clear.




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:19 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...



I agree with Kitty, I had no idea this was the same person from the bus. Couldn't you just add that in, draw us back to the fact that this is the guy?

Apart from that, I also feel that, though you tell the story well, we're not seeing a lot of Katherine's (is that her name) emotions. Tell us more about them. What's she thinking of? Bring us into her mind. Also, I think that you should mention what she was daydreaming about before the teacher brings her back to earth.

But yeah, I am really enjoying these, and I'm looking forward to more!




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:52 pm
Rydia wrote a review...



Hey, I'll not go through and give you specific suggestions because the general writing of this is good, what's missing is the description and characterisation.

You certainly need to make it clearer that this is the same boy as on the bus because he seems completely different. From reading this, he seemed a pleasant, patient person who thinks he is helping your persona but if he's the same boy as the one on the bus, I'm beginning to wonder if he maybe takes a snide pleasure in her ignorance? Why would he not want her to sit next to him and yet be willing, even eager to help her in class. Either have him hesitant, as annoyed and impatient as the others, being very brief and purposefully simple in his answer or have him jeering at her. You could even just have her think he's patronising her.

I think you've got some good detail here and the character of the teacher is great but have the other students whispering. Is she sat next to anyone? Maybe she sees some taking the opportunity to pass notes now that the teacher's attention is directed at her. Maybe one or two of the class are relieved that they didn't get asked. Some could act as though this is normal and just look out of the window, completely uninterested in seeing her get told off again.

And then as the others said, don't forget her emotions. I think you know what needs doing, it's just a matter of reading through carefully and seeing where you can add more atmosphere to this piece. Maybe extend it to include more of a beginning. She could be rolling a pencil between her fingers before the teacher says her name and then maybe she drops it and you could describe the sound of it hitting the floor and show the hesitation as to whether she should get up and pick it up or try to snag it with her foot and look like a complete idiot.

Hope this helps a little, let me know if you make edits and want me to take another look,

Heather xx




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm
JabberHut wrote a review...



You can post two! You can post five thousand, and I wouldn't mind! :D

I see Azila and Phorcys beat me, but I'll still critique and if I repeat anything, I very much apologize. :)

The eyes of my classmates [s]on[/s] are glued to me, waiting for me to fail. I look down. "I don't know."


I shrug slightly, [no comma?] but say nothing.


The part after the but isn't an independent clause, which leads to my thinking that it doesn't need a comma separating them, but I'm not positive.

"Mr. Donovin: [comma instead] which is it?"


I'm just picky about my colons. :roll:

God, I hate that sound.


I'm thinking not to italicize God but to leave it be. It may be confused with the Harrumph's going around. :wink:

Her voice has become sharp again, and it lashes out at me.


I don't much like that second part of the sentence, but that may just be me.

We’ve had this exact same conversation all year, and the others are sick of it.


Maybe We've had this exact same conversation countless times all year long, and the class was sick of hearing it. Maybe throw in some dry humor, saying they could repeat the conversation for memory. :lol:

"The verb - the action in the sentence - is 'applauds'.


Just because it's not exactly part of the sentence, but referred to another, like a sign. You put the sign in italics or quotes, like I did here. ^^

She might as well be writing in Greek.


I'm in love with this sentence!

About your pronoun issue you're curious about.. I think what you have here is perfectly fine, considering it's only a skeleton of what it really could be. Adding description [putting meat on its bones] will help a lot in disguising your point.

Also, I've noticed you never named the teacher? Or maybe I just missed it, but that could help a tad.

The sentences in the story right now are nearly perfect, if not perfect, as they are, and the only reason you think you're having trouble with it is because it's bland. Description, or getting into the character's mind [as Azila said before me] will help greatly in this area. Let's see if I can pull out an example from your story here. *whistles and searches*

Ah, here we go!

"I don't know." There are groans from behind me. We’ve had this exact same conversation all year, and the others are sick of it.


I like this part, truly, but each sentence starts with a pronoun, right? :wink:

"I don't know," I mutter. The class groans from around me as this conversation has started yet again. Countless times, [Mrs. Smith] and I would discuss how I could never 'understand' what she was teaching, and I really couldn't. How she ever got this job, I would never know, and I don't really care either. I just need to pass this class and never worry about trasi-whatnots and Conjunction Junction again.

It's not very good, and I did jabber a bit, but you get the idea that you can really speak a bit more on any thought your MC is having. It's also great character development... :wink:

I hope this helps, and keep writing! I'd be happy to review more, just post the link in my thread! :D

Jabber, the One and Only!




User avatar
438 Reviews


Points: 2999
Reviews: 438

Donate
Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:47 pm
JFW1415 says...



Thanks for the reviews, guys!

It seems I make the same mistakes every time, despite my attempts to fix them. O.o I will add more emotions, though, and make the class more noticable. Until I read these reviews, I didn't even realize that it sounded like the only people in the room were Katherine, the teacher, and him.

Azila: Sorry, I forgot to PM you! I originally posted this on the backup site, so I wasn't thinking. :oops: Anyways, the 'he turns back to the board' is the guy who explains it to her. And I won't change all the pronouns, but I like some of your suggestions. I'll see what I can do.

Phorcys: The actors are just in the sentence she reads and has to figure out if it's transitive or not.

So, thanks again! I still want more (I'm greedy :P) but this will help me edit it. I think it'll be much better once I add emotions, and give the background kids more personality (besides just groaning;) any ideas?

I really need to give 'him' a name; this is the same guy from the one on the bus. I probably need to make that clearer, too. Oh, well, at least he has a last name now. I love his, but I hate Katherine's last name. Oh, well. (Oh, and I never named the teacher. :P I stink at names.)

Any other critical eyes out there?

~JFW1415




User avatar
721 Reviews


Points: 7241
Reviews: 721

Donate
Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:34 pm
Azila wrote a review...



Hello, JFW! Remember that you're supposed to PM me when you post more of these?! *grumbles*

Anyway... I will try to point out most of the places you start with a pronoun, that way if you want to change then you will have some idea how. But I don't think you should change all of them.

I look past her, reading the board.
You could make this into: "Looking past her, I read the board." or something like that.

She waits a moment, tapping her foot against the tile floor.
Could be "Her foot taps against the tile floor as she waits." Also, shouldn't is be "tiled floor"?

I shrug slightly, but say nothing.
Hmm... you could say something like "Rather than saying anything, I just shrug slightly." or "My shoulders shrug slightly, but I say nothing."

She turns from me and locks her eyes on him.
Could say "Her gaze turns from me and locks on him."

He glances at me, but I don’t look up.
Maybe "His glance bores into me, but I don't look up."

He turns to me.
This isn't necessary; you could either just delete it, or say something like "turning to me, he says..."

He speaks softly.
"His words are soft."

He turns back to the board, and I look up at the words.
Shouldn't that be "she"? Anyway, I don't think this sentence is needed.
---------

I didn't like this quite as much as some of the others... I think that might be because of one of Phorcys's points:

Feelings/emotions. because this is in 1st person, you should really draw your readers into your character's mind. Right now, she just seems minorly annoyed and rather bored--what about humiliation? Embarrassment? Does she have friends that would either be laughing with her, or trying to help her? Does she have "enemies" who would be laughing at her, and overacting the fact that they already know the answers?


Also (as usual) I think you could use some more description, but I won't go into that because I already have in my critiques of almost all of your other ones. :D

I hope this helps! PM me when you post another one... or if I was unclear about anything.
~Azila~




User avatar
614 Reviews


Points: 1106
Reviews: 614

Donate
Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:09 pm
Swires wrote a review...



[s]Her voice is harsh as she speaks, and it jolts me back to attention. I look up.[/s] Her harsh voice jolts me back to attention.


Or something similar
"Yes?"

Harrumph. "I asked you whether this sentence had a transitive or intransitive verb in it." [s]I look past her, reading the board[/s] I read the board. Messy scrawls cover it, and I squint to make out the words.


The audience applauds the actors.


What on earth? What actors?


I could continue but It is easy to give you advice at this point.

:arrow: Read this aloud. Yes, on your own, aloud. There are endless things which don't and won't sound right when you read this to yourself. Correct it as you go along.

:arrow: Less is more. Sometimes you are writing far more than necessary. "I read the board" is fine.

:arrow: Feelings, emotions. Can your character feel the other kid's eyes burning into his spine, can he hear his head throbbing with embarrassment?

:arrow: The "look" disease. Its all to easy to fall into this trap. "I look" Its a very, very easy verb to use. Try and rid it from your work no matter what tense you are on.





I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
— Walt Disney