POD 10- Abuse

by JC

:!: Philosophy of the Dark- Chapter ten: some adult language. :!:

-Abuse

Some might say that the answer to all your problems is to tell somebody about them, spill your every secret into somebody who will pretend to care for the sake of your money.

Isn't that sad? That people are payed to care?

I don't think I could ever do that, tell somebody everything. What would come if I did though, how would Richard re-act. Would it be the last act of my teenage betrayal to my father. The father that doesn't love me. It's a pity, because I know that somewhere deep inside he's a good guy. A good guy with anger issues, just fitting to take out on his half-dead daughter.

Many people have trouble believing this, that a person could do such things. That occurrences like that only happen on TV and in movies. Purely entertainment, but if you think about it, people do find it entertaining, so it's only logical that some people would find it enjoying as well.

Believe me when I tell you that there is enough evil and hate in this world to make up for all the love, whether it is written about or experienced there's always a counter-hate. Love and hate, the two strongest emotions that one could conjure up, complete opposites, yet when looked at closely they're really just two words for similar feelings. Not close in actuality, but in feeling most definitely.

First there are the similarities; a closeness. It's hard to hate somebody who you've just met, you have to actually get to know them before a feeling that strong can talk over. There's also the connection that comes with it, you think about the people you hate and the people you love more than those that come in-between. Keep you friend close, but your enemy closer. Love and Hate. Often the two are mixed up even, from friend to friend, from parent to child.

If you find the common attributes of these emotions disturbing, or if I'm killing your dreams, then here's the good news. While very close in feeling and action, they are different in one way. In the way you treat the people on either side of the dividing line. Those you love are cared for, often beyond your own self preservation. There's a need to be around them, to make them happy, and kick the asses of those that make them sad. Now, if you just so happen to hate somebody, well, they're treated quite differently. Often with insults, put-downs, let downs, and just plain downs. Sometimes even a kick or two, just for fun.

So yes, I encourage you to keep your friends close and your enemy's closer; but only if you know the difference between them.

On the receiving end of hate, I stand, slumped over nearly to my knees but still standing. Put down after put down, hit after hit, I survive the hate, in hopes that someday it will cross the barrier into love.

Now, why do I tell you this? Why would you, a person with most likely no experience in this area, that of abuse (there I said it), even care? Because you need to know, you need to know the things that you're being censored from. Drugs, sex, depression, abuse, all things that are talked about in such sparsity that you know nothing other than that they're bad.

I have one word for what they say about real life problems.

Bull-fucking-shit.

Yeah, true they all have their major downsides, and should be avoided at most costs, but what do you really know about them? I'd tell you, but that could be awkward.

There is one that I will tell you about however, because it's in direct alignment with the story.

Abuse.

:idea: For those of you thinking that this would be "The Cure," I'm sorry, but that's been pushed back one chapter. Chapter 11- The Cure NOW POSTED! Check it out! :idea:

Emerson wrote a review...

What would come if I did though, how would Richard re-act. Would it be the last act of my teenage betrayal to my father. The father that doesn't love me.
the first two sentences should be questions, and the last one is an incomplete sentence.

If you find the common attributes of these emotions disturbing, or if I'm killing your dreams, then here's the good news. While very close in feeling and action, they are different in one way.
These two sentences should be joined, the period at the end of the first sentence becoming a colon [:]

keep your friends close and your enemy's closer
That's a cliché, I don't even know what it means; do you? I suggest cutting it.

This was good at the beginning, but once you started talking directly to the reader and the "There I said it" part I didn't like it so much. This is her writing in her journal, or something, yes? It just didn't seem natural for me at that point.

Alainna wrote a review...

This was really good.

I have one criticism however, sometimes a long piece like that (without any action etc) needs to be shortened to keep the reader interested. It wasn't that I got bored (No way!!!!) it's just that it felt like a block of writing.

Having said that, the questions and the swearing did pull you back into the story. Good techniques!

Alainna
xxxxxxxxx

miyaviloves says...

Another great peice JC!

Your writing has defiantly improved since the first POD, i thin itd down to just getting into the flow of it and knowing the charatcers better, keep it up!

Meevs
x

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:17 am
JC says...

Just fitting meaning that his anger problems are bad enough that he has no remorse taking them out on Jamie for even little things (as is seen).

Yeah, thanks to everybody who reads these, I appreciate it muchos!

Magyk wrote a review...

I have read them all so far and LOVE them.

I like the way you write about what most people try to avoid bringing up. It is all so accurate too.

Some of the words you use are brilliant. I can't think of an example but I do love it.

Carry on writting. I look forward to reading more.

Mad wrote a review...

I don't think I've said this in any of my other posts but this is a really original way of presenting a story. I don't think that I have ever come across a story that tells its story in such a way.

A good guy with anger issues, just fitting to take out on his half-dead daughter.

I don't get the "just fitting" part.

Love and hate, the two strongest emotions that one could conjure up, complete opposites, yet when looked at closely they're really just two words for similar feelings.

Good comparison, and I enjoy the way that you build out on it. The insights that you give on life are well, insightful, and convey a strong message.

I don't think I could ever do that, tell somebody everything.

I'm not quite sure about this - Isn't this kind of telling everyone everything. I suppose that if you just take the parts that Jamie says it's not. So actually just ignore that.

Looking foward to The Cure.

Oreorulez21401 says...

I really liked what you were saying... It's all very true, though it is quite somber. Good job and keep writing![/i]

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl