Enough to Live

by JC

:!: Please Critique :!:

(sorry in advance about the length)

Enough to Live

She put the blade to her tear-soaked arm, one last time, she promised herself fully knowing that she would do this again the next day, she knew she couldn't stop. Liza pulled the blade sharply, ripping open the skin. Pain was immediate, yet not soon enough. More tears fell, salt from them stung in the fresh cut.

Some wounds never healed, emotional of coarse. Liza knew this more than any other person. She started cutting in eighth grade when her friends turned on her, mostly cutting her legs, because nobody could see there. The cuts started small, little red marks that she could barley see, as much as you could do with safety pins that were weak enough for the sun to bend. Then in ninth grade it got worse, school piled up, family problems arose, and she moved to actual razors on her stomach, where there was more to cut. Finally her parents split leaving her mother in a constantly drunk state, and the cuts moved to her arms, Liza didn't care who saw anymore, plus she was running out of space.

Cutting became a nightly activity which always ended with her crying herself to sleep on bloodstained sheets. The cuts got deeper, and the pain no longer sufficed, she wanted more.

This was the first night she'd considered it. It was so far from anything she had ever considered, and it felt so right. The idea rose goosebumps on her arms. She was so ready to be rid of the pain forever, she made up her mind and nothing could change that. Today would be her last, she was going to live it as she wanted to.

That morning seemed normal enough, Liza woke up with the sun far enough above to know that she was late for school, she smiled. She picked her favorite worn jeans and holey top off of the floor, they weren't clean, but who cared. She covered it with a long, over sized black sweater.

Her mom was passed out on the couch, to far gone for Liza to care enough to wake. She didn't bother to write a note, she probably wouldn't notice that Liza wasn't coming back until she ran out of vodka.

Liza took a handful of Advil and dumped it into a plastic bag which she shoved into her pocket, for later.

She left the house without any of her things, just the Advil. She would walk to school today, enjoy the yellowed pollution she would never have to breathe again, and once more she smiled. Nothing could ruin today.

First period was already over, there was a test in that class anyways, nobody would care that she missed it. Not tomorrow anyways...

Liza went to second period, photography, the one class she didn't despise. There was somebody sitting in her seat when she got there, she walked to her seat and stood next to it, without saying anything.

The boy turned around and saw her, “Sorry, is this your seat?” He asked.

He was gorgeous, his black hair was down to his ears and flipped out slightly there, halfway covering his ice blue eyes.

“Uh...yeah,” Liza managed. The beautiful boy stood up and held out her seat for her, an odd gesture. Liza sat awkwardly as he pushed her chair in for her and then sat in the empty seat next to her.

“I'm Edward, just transferred here,”he said.

“Liza,” She said.

“Hmm...is that short for something?” Edward asked.

“Eliza,” Liza found herself saying, a name she hadn't said in almost a year, a name she hated.

“I like that name,” Edward said.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah, its unique.”

Liza snorted, “You mean in a stupid way,” she said.

“I mean in a cool way.”

“Sure, whatever.”

Edward looked at her with confusion, “You don't believe me do you?”

“Nope,” Liza said curtly.

“Why not?”

Liza looked into Edwards eyes, it was hard to keep her train of thought staring at him full on. This all wouldn't matter tomorrow though, so why should it matter now...

“As a rule I generally don't trust people,” She said, “Especially those I've just met.”

“Ah, that makes sense.”

Liza turned her attention to the front of the class, where the teacher was just beginning to start the lesson for today, unfortunately however...

“Okay, today were going to be outside taking pictures, everybody parter up with the person next to you.”

Liza wished this were any other day, when she worked alone, taking pictures of things that mattered, actually trying while other people took pictures of rocks and flowers, but today she would have to work with somebody, somebody who would probably talk to her.

Edward got the camera, and better yet he picked one of the good ones.

“Shall we go?” he said when he approached her at the door.

Liza stared at him as if he were crazy.

“I'm going to take that as a yes,” he said, following her through the door.

“So, what do you want to take pictures of?” Edward asked after ten minutes of sitting on a bench.

Liza shrugged, she didn't care anymore, its not like she would actually get to see the pictures. Edward turned away and started looking at everything through the lens of the camera, without warning he turned and snapped a quick picture of Liza.

“What the-” she said, fury building in her.

“Relax Ellie, its a good picture.”

“First thing, never, ever call me Ellie, and second, don't ever take a picture of me,” She was practically yelling.

“Sorry,” Edward said. Liza snatched the camera from him and resisted the urge to throw it at the cracked asphalt, to her cameras held magic, the ability to stop time.

“Sorry,” Edward said again.

Liza sighed, “It's okay, just don't do it again,” not that you'll ever get the chance, was unsaid.

“Maybe we should take some pictures,” Edward suggested.

“What of?” Liza asked.

“Uh, aha,” Edward took the camera carefully from Liza's hands and pointed it at the ground, then he snapped a picture.

“Well, that was pointless,” Liza said.

“Do you even know what I took a picture of?” he asked.

“The ground?”

“Not exactly,” Edward stood up, Liza found herself following.

“I took a picture of the crack in the ground,” he said.

“Why?” Liza asked.

“Because,” he turned and put the camera back in her hands, “Its imperfect in such a perfect way,” he led her to the newer pavement, barely even walked on.

“Do you see how flat and even it is? How boring? The cracks have individuality, someday that to will be replaced, their imperfection is perfect in a way that conformity never will be.”

Already Edward was walking in a different direction, he reached the track and stopped, and pulled Liza to where he was standing. He stepped up behind her and took her arms, leading the camera to her eye.

“Do you see how every line is perfectly strait, in place?” Liza nodded, Edward pointed the camera to her feet, next to them a portion of the line had a crack, a short missing section of white line in the fake ground.

“Go ahead, take a picture.” Liza pushed her finger down on the button, the camera clicked and whirred as the film rotated.

They went on for the rest of the hour, taking pictures of imperfection, perfection, and some just random things, but nothing meaningless as Liza had feared, she ended up actually having fun.

“So where do you hang out at lunch?” Edward asked as they walked back to the classroom.

“Oh, uh, usually on the bleachers,” she answered, “why?”

“Well, would your friends mind if I hung out there today, you know, its my first day and all.”

Liza almost laughed at the thought of friends, “I don't think they would mind,” she said.

“Cool, so would you mind?”

This guy was smart.

Liza shook her head, “No I wouldn't mind,” she said.

“Cool.” Edward put the camera away and said he had to stop by the office, he would meet her at the bleachers.

Liza was sitting in her normal spot, alone at the very top of the bleachers, fifteen minutes of lunch was already over, she had finished the sandwich she bought and was considering ditching the rest of the day, but then Edward came. He reached the top of the bleachers quickly, taking two steps at a time, he was out of breath by the time he reached the her.

“Hello,” he said.

“Hi,” Liza replied.

“So, was I that late, that I missed everyone?”

“Nope, were all here,” Liza said, wondering if Edward would actually look around and wonder if she really was a loser.

“Well, aren't you going to introduce me?” he asked with a

perfect smile.

“Hi, I'm Liza,” she said with a bit of her own crappy smile.

“Nice to meet you Ellie,” Edward said.

“What did I say about calling me Ellie,” Liza warned.

“You told me not to, why?”

“I hate that name,” Liza said.

“Whats wrong, I like it,” Edward sat down uncomfortably close, his leg brushed against Liza's tattered jeans, she really wished she had worn better ones.

“Its mostly because thats what my dad called me before he left,” Liza found herself admitting.

“Oh, when was that? If you don't mind my asking that is.”

“It was a long time ago actually, I barely remember it at all I just remember the fighting.”

“That must've sucked,” Edward said, placing one hand on Liza's leg.

“At first it did, my mom took it the hardest,” she said.

“Is she okay now?” he asked.

Liza shook her head, “No, she's always drunk, half the time I think she doesn't even know I exist, unless she needs vodka.”

“I'm sorry Liza,” Edward said, she looked up at him with an odd expression.

“What?” he asked.

“Nothing,” Liza said.

“No, its something,” Edward turned to face her.

“Its not,” she said.

“Tell me.”

“No.”

“Why not?” Edward asked, tilting his head.

“Because, its nothing,” Liza said.

“Do you promise?” he asked.

“No,” Liza said.

“So it is something!” he accused, “tell me please.”

Liza sighed, “That was the first time you called me Liza,” she said

“Yeah,” Edward said.

“It was weird,” she admitted.

“Do you prefer Ellie?”

“I didn't say that,” she said.

“Whatever Ell,”

“Oh, so now I have a nickname?” Ellie said teasingly.

“Maybe,” Edward said. The bell rung, students began walking to their next classes.

“So, I'll see you tomorrow,” Edward said.

Liza had almost forgotten, tomorrow. Tomorrow. A day that wouldn't exist for her. Why was that just when she had one thing to look forward to, it was to late. Just her luck.

“Yeah, tomorrow,” she said softly.

“Something wrong?” Edward asked.

“No, just thinking.” Liza replied.

“See ya later Ellie,” Edward turned and jogged back down the bleachers.

“Yeah...”

Third period was crap, followed by an even crappier fourth period, count on French teachers to make your last day even crappier than it already was.

She sat on the bench next to the cracked asphalt, school was over and Liza was at a complete loss for what to do, she had the bag of Advil in her hands, she played with the small orange pills, memorizing the way they felt.

The school was empty by now, except for the couples that converged on the benches and a few kids with trumpets standing outside of the band room. Liza couldn't stay here much longer, wasting her last day away, today was not going as planned.

She was walking down the street on the side of the school, unsure of her heading. The Advil was back in her pocket leaving a slightly calming pressure on her upper leg. She had no idea what she wanted to do with her last day. What was there to do, she had no friends, no family she could talk to, no activities she could occupy her mind with, she had nothing really.

“Ellie!” A voice called out from behind her, she turned to see Edward walking to her, a big smile on his perfect face, instantly all of her worries were gone.

“Hey,” she said when he got closer.

“Where are you going?” Edward asked.

“I don't know, I was just going to walk around town I guess,” she answered.

“Well, do you want to go anywhere?”

Ellie thought for a second, “The beach,” she answered jokingly.

“Really?” Edward asked, one eyebrow raised.

“I don't know,” Ellie shrugged.

“Well, lets assume you meant that seriously, what beach?”

“Any beach.”

“Lets go then,” Edward said.

“What? I was kidding,” Ellie said, slowing her walk down.

“Well, I wasn't,” Edward took her arm and pulled her forward. He led her to a faded red truck, unlocked it and held the door open for her. Ellie paused.

“You don't have to,” Edward said.

“I know,” and she stepped into the car. It was surprisingly clean, except for the Cd's that overpopulated the dashboard. Edward stepped into car and turned it on, it roared to life loudly before quieting to a more manageable rumble. Edward picked a Cd out of the bunch and slid it into the player, Ellie recognized the band, it was one of her favorites.

“Nice,” she said, looking around at the other Cd's for something else that she recognized, most of it was burned and unlabeled, but there were a few purchased ones that looked vaguely familiar.

“You like?” Edward asked, Ellie nodded. The car pulled out of its spot, and Edward started driving in the direction of the freeway.

“What else do you listen to?” Edward asked her as they went up the on ramp.

“Pretty much anything rock or metal,” she answered, “so where are we going?”

“To the beach.”

“How far is it?” Ellie asked.

“Not far, its around where I used to live, about an hours drive from here.”

“An hour,” Ellie said.

“Afraid we'll run out of things to talk about?” Edward asked, switching lanes.

“I just don't like awkward silences.”

“Okay, so, what's your favorite band?”

Ellie looked, he was facing the road, watching her out of the corner of his eye.

“Saosin,” she answered.

“Okay, ask me something,” Edward said.

“Anything?”

“Anything.”

“Okay, uh...why did you move?” Ellie asked.

“I needed to get away from everything,” Edward answered.

“What happened?”

“Nope, this is my turn,” Edward said, “Whats your favorite food?”

The questions continued, every time Ellie breeched the subject of Edward moving he ignored it, often changing the subject or answering with some obscure statement that Ellie couldn't decipher.

“Roll down your window,” Edward said when they reached a street lined with nautical stores. Ellie did, the tang of sea air reached her nostrils. It was almost four thirty now, most of the parking spaces were open, due to the fact that it was Monday. The only people around were dedicated surfers and people from the school in town here to make a bonfire and act like idiots.

Edward parked in front of a small blue store, Priceless Treasures. Ellie stepped out of the car after him and followed him into the store. It was packed with seashells and bathing suits, key chains and other tourist attracting shiny things.

“Edward, is that you?” a middle age woman stepped out from behind the counter.

“Dana,” Edward said. The woman pulled Edward into a tight hug.

“Finally you visit, I was beginning to wonder if you'd forgotten about us here,” the woman held Edward at arms length away by his shoulders, studying him.

“Forget? Never,” Edward stepped back, the woman, Dana, saw Ellie for the first time.

“And whose this, Edward? Is she the reason you haven't visited?”

“No, this is Ellie, from school,” Edward answered, Ellie waved.

“So your going to school now, good for you,” Dana said.

“Yeah, today was my first day,” Edward said proudly.

“Its good to see you doing so well, I must say things haven't been the same without you here.”

“How is everything?”

“Good, why don't you come over for dinner tonight, everybody

misses you,” Dana said.

“I would love to, but I'm escorting Ellie around the town today, she's never been here before.”

“That doesn't surprise me, its a small town for a beach. But I

don't think she would mind having dinner at the house, would you dear?” Dana looked at Ellie, once again she wished she were dressed nicer.

“I don't mind,” she said.

“See I told you,” Dana punched Edwards arm playfully, “I'll see you two for dinner then, you know what time.”

“Yeah,” Edward said, he was looking around the small over-packed store, avoiding eye contact with anyone.

“Edward,” Dana said.

“What?”

“Look at me Edward,” he looked up and met Dana's knowing gaze, “It'll be okay, I promise.”

Edward nodded, his hand moved up to his cheek, it looked to Ellie like he was wiping away a tear.

“I'll see you at 6:30 then,” he said.

“Have fun,” Dana replied, reclaiming her post at the counter. Edward led Ellie out the door and back to the salt-tinged air.

“She seems nice,” Ellie said, trying to lighten the mood.

“Yeah,” Edward said.

“Whats wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Are you lying?” Ellie asked.

“Maybe,” Edward answered, “Come on, theres still a lot to show

you.”

“What are we waiting for then?”

“Two bands please,” Edward said.

The man at the booth took Edwards money and replaced it with two bright purple bands.

“Thanks,” Edward said, handing one to Ellie.

“Have a good day,” the man at the booth said.

Edward put his band on with the ease of somebody who did that often, Ellie was having trouble with hers.

“Here,” Edward took her wrist in one hand, “The trick is to do it quickly otherwise it'll be crooked,” with a quick motion the band snapped into place, not to tight, not to loose.

“Thanks,” Ellie said.

“No problem, so what should we do first?”

Ellie looked around the pier, and at all the colored lights circling the rides.

“Your the one showing me around,” she said.

“Well then, do you like roller coasters?” Edward asked with a smile.

Ellie never had a chance to reply, because the next second he was dragging her through the empty line to the ride. They showed the person working there their bracelets and he strapped them in.

“Edward,” Ellie said.

“Yeah?” he asked.

“Did I ever mention I have an intense fear of heights?”

“Nope,” Edward laughed as the ride jolted forward and moved toward the first incline slowly.

“Well, I'm mentioning it now,” she said breathlessly.

The ride clicked as it moved up, then they reached the top. The view extended over the lights and rides, the scent of cotton candy and carnival food mixed with the salty air. The lights could be seen in the darkening sky. The ride paused.

“Don't worry, it always takes this long, take advantage of the view,” Edward reassured.

“It's beautiful,” Ellie said.

“I know,” Edward was staring at her, she looked back.

“What?”

“It's nothing,” Edward said.

“Sure,” Ellie laughed, and the car fell forward. The fell for what felt like forever before the car whipped to the side and around turn after turn. The loop came closer, the cars speed increased and they went through. It was the ultimate freedom, the speed, the turns. A few more turns and they came to a stop where they started.

Ellie was laughing as she stepped out of the car, Edward was behind her.

“So what now?” he asked.

“Like I said, I'm following you,” Ellie said.

Edward checked his watch, “Well, its six now, so we have time for one more thing before we have to go.”

“Okay,” Ellie said.

“So how about what everybody has to do at every amusement park.”

“Which is...”

“Ferris wheel,” Edward said.

Once again there was no line, they got in one of the seats

quickly and the ride stated immediately. There were no stops on the way up, the wheel stopped when they got to the very top. Once again they were looking over the ocean, pure white waves broke below them, seagulls floated in the water, a few flew around the beaches pecking at the white sand.

“I could live up here,” Edward said.

“Yeah,” Ellie agreed, Edward was staring at her again.

“What?” she said.

“Huh?”

“Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked.

“Your beautiful Ellie,” Edward said. Heat rose to her cheeks, she looked down at her hands, clasped together.

“I mean it,” Edward said.

The ride started again, and the seats slowly made their way down. Awkward silence filled the air. They stepped off of the ride, Liza could feel the Advil in her pocket, weighing her down like a curse. Liza thought of them as the easy way out, Ellie knew that there were other choices. In the course of one day she had changed, but Liza still dominated her brain.

Edward held the car door open for her again, then he climbed into his seat. Once again the car roared to life, when it settled down Edward inched out of the space and made a u-turn.

“So where are we going?” Liza asked.

“The House,” Edward answered.

There was silence for the rest of the drive, neither Edward or Liza attempted to start the conversation up. Edward stopped in front of a tall brick house, there was a sign out front, The Saving House.

Edward saw Liza looking at it, “It's an orphanage,” he said.

He got out of the car first and ran to open the door for her again, “You know you don't have to do that,” Ellie said.

“I want to,” Edward replied.

“Thank you.”

“Anytime,” Edward smiled at her, she smiled back. Edward paused when they reached the front door, Ellie reached out and took his hand. He smiled and opened the door.

The room was messy, an old dusty chandelier hung on the ceiling, there was an old faded rug covering the molded wood floor. A young boy ran past with a sheet tied around his neck and his shorts on his head. He was screaming at the top of his lungs. Seconds later more children ran behind him, screaming even louder.

“Everybody, sit down, its time for dinner,” Dana's voice rang clear from the room adjacent.

“Edward!” A little girl ran in from a different room and jumped into his arms.

“Hi Emily,” Edward said.

“Why didn't you come for the party?” Emily asked.

“I was busy with work so I could get a car to visit,” Edward explained.

“But if you didn't have a car then why did you leave?” Emily wrapped her tiny arms around Edwards neck.

“So I could go to school,” he said.

“But you went to school here with us,” Emily said.

“Come on Em, I think dinners ready.”

“Oh, yeah. It's spaghetti, your favorite!” Emily said. Edward smiled at Ellie and carried Emily into the next room.

The dining room was one of the largest rooms in the brick

house. It had three long tables connected to form one absurdly long table. There were chairs of every shape, size and color, and children of every age ranging from three to eighteen sat in them.

The room went crazy when Edward entered the room, kids ran toward him, jumping on him, asking him questions.

Dana smiled at him and me, “Okay everyone, take a seat so we can serve the food.” Everybody ran back to their chairs, Edward led Ellie to the other end of the table where some older kids were sitting with Dana.

“Hey Eddie,” one fifteen year old looking boy said. Ellie noticed a few of the girls watching her with jealous eyes. They sat down in two seats directly next to Dana.

“I'm so glad that you two came,” she said.

Edward smiled, obviously uncomfortable about being back. While all of the younger kids seemed excited about Edwards return none of the older ones even met his gaze. The table was uncomfortably quiet, Dana noticed.

“So, Edward, how has school been going?” The environment at the table got even more uncomfortable.

“Uh...good, today was my first day though-”

“So it should be a while until your screwup side shows,” one of the older boys said.

“Henry,” Dana said.

“What, its the truth and you know it,” Henry defended.

“Nobody here is a screwup, you all do the best you can with what you have.”

“Only some of us actually want help,” he said under his breath.

“Call me a screw up all you want, but you cant blame me for wanting something more with my life,” Edward stood up and left, the whole room dropped dead quiet with all eyes on Edwards empty chair.

Ellie followed Edward out the door and found him sitting on the front of his truck.

“Edward,” she said.

“Sorry, El, but we should go home now,” he said.

“No, I haven't seen the beach yet,” Ellie said.

“You want to see the beach?” Edward asked.

“Yeah, I want to see the beach.” Ellie smiled her best smile, Edward smiled back.

“Well, then what are we doing standing around?”

She climbed into the car, and they drove off in another direction a few turns later the truck was driving over soft looking sand. Edward parked the car and got out, Ellie didn't wait for him to open the door for her instead she jumped out of the car and sat down in the still warm sand. She took of her crappy shoes and stuffed her old socks in them, then she rolled up her pants.

“I love the sand at the beach,” she exclaimed. Edward was staring at her with laughter in his eyes.

“What?” she asked.

“I've never seen anyone react like that,” he said.

“Like what?”

“So excited.”

“It's different for you, you lived here,” Ellie said.

“I guess,” Edward said.

“Take of your shoes,” Ellie ordered.

“What? Why?”

“Just do it, humor me,” she laughed and wiggled her does deep

into the sand until it was cold on her toes. Edward sat down and pulled off his black vans and socks.

“Happy now?” he asked when he was done.

“Almost,” Ellie said.

“Well, what else?” Edward asked.

“Chase me,” Ellie freed her feet from the cool grasp of the sand and started running toward the water. She could hear Edward running behind her.

It was darker now, the sky had the beginning pinks and oranges of the sunset, as far as Ellie could see they were the only ones there.

Ellie began to run out of breath, she slowed a little, hoping her head start was enough. When nobody caught her she slowed more, soon after that arms wrapped around her stomach and her feet left the ground.

“Caught you,” Edwards breath was warm against her neck.

“No!” Ellie thrashed in his tight grip, knowing that she was trapped.

Edward began to walk toward the water, “Edward! What are you doing?” Ellie laughed.

He didn't answer, just took her closer to the water.

“Let me go!” she wiggled more, finally pulling free of his arms.

“Hey, not fair!” Edward called out from behind her again.

“Oh it's very fair,” she called back. Her feet touched the coldness of the water, she instantly shivered. She treaded deeper into the icy water, her feet splashed water up her body.

“Hey! Not the water,” Edward stopped at the edge of the water, barely getting his toes wet.

“You just gonna stand there and wait or are you trying to grow some backbone?”

“You did not just call me a coward!” Edward took one step into the water and paused.

“Maybe I did,” Ellie said, laughing at his reaction toward the water.

“Your going to regret that,” he said.

“Make me!” Edward ran full into the water, Ellie ran back until she was stomach deep, a wave broke on her neck, she gasped as freezing water soaked her to the bone. The momentary shock was enough for Edward to catch her once more, her picked her up again, cold night air froze her as her drenched sweater clung to her. Her more recent cuts stung from the salt.

Cuts.

Liza could feel the Advil, safely stored in her front pocket, protected by the plastic bag. Another wave broke her concentration, this one went fully over her and Edward, she expected him to fall back from the force but he stood strong against the fury. Once again Ellie's worries disappeared.

“Put me down,” she said.

“No,” he shook his head and took a step back so the waves wouldn't break on them.

“Please,” Ellie wiggled a little, which only made the water colder.

“Kiss me,” Edward said. Ellie paused, and met his eyes.

“What?”

“Kiss me Ellie,” she froze, so did he. Neither of them moved for what seemed like forever, staring into each others eyes. Ellie remembered everything from the time she'd spent with Edward today, how she was a different person with him. Of coarse she couldn't kiss him, her soul would be gone by tomorrow.

Liza was trying to take over, trying to convince Ellie into thinking like she had this morning, but she couldn't. Ellie was to far gone from Liza to believe her lies anymore. Maybe things didn't have to end. Liza got what she wanted, Liza was dead, and because of this Ellie could live.

She kissed Edward, his lips were warm and salty from the water. He put her down but kept kissing her, his hands moved up to cradle her face with his soft hands. He pulled out of the kiss first, still holding her face he pressed his forehead to hers, his ice blue eyes studied her green ones.

“Ellie,” he said softly. He pulled her arms to wrap around his neck, and wrapped his own arms around her waist. Ellie was shivering, but she didn't care.

The sun was gone now, the moon reflected off of the rippling water, stars glittered the sky casting a new kind of light in the dark of night.

Liza's last day was over, and Ellie's first night had begun.

Edward kissed her, she kissed him back and wrapped her arms tighter around him, she wanted to never let go.

They stayed in the water until Ellie was shivering uncontrollably, her dark auburn hair clung to her face putting drops of icy water down her neck.

“Are you cold?” Edward asked. All she could manage was a nod. He unwrapped her arms from around him, where she realized they had been stuck, to cold to move. She was shivering even more now, but on the inside she was warm. The water was even colder where Edwards arms had been. The air out of the water was even colder than it was when she had been in the water, the light breeze cut through her old clothes easily.

They walked to Edwards car, he opened the back door and pulled out a blanket and a sweater which he tossed into the back of the truck. He lowered the small door like thing and stepped up into the bed of the truck, he pulled Ellie up with him. Their jeans created puddles of cold sea water which Edward soaked up with a spare towel.

“Take off your sweater, it'll dry faster,” he said. Ellie obeyed and peeled her soaked sweater from her stinging arms.

Edward gasped, “Ellie...”

She didn't need to look to know where his gaze was, on the many torn scars and fresh cuts, some were bleeding again, she could feel the blood, thicker than water, trailing down her arms.

“Wha-” Edward couldn't bring himself to finish. He just took Ellie by the shoulders and pulled her into a hug. Ellie began to cry, remembering everything that had caused the destruction of her skin.

“I'm sorry,” she said.

“Don't ever apologize,” Edward said, releasing her from the hug and picking up a towel. He wiped her arms off carefully, cleaning off the blood and water. Then he gave her the towel to dry off with, when she was done he dried himself off as best he could with it.

Their clothes were still soaked and cold, but it was more manageable. Edward wrapped the blanket around them and they huddled into one of the corners.

“What happened Ellie?” Edward asked.

“Everything,” she proceeded to telling him, about her friends, her parents, her mom. Her nightly ritual. The only she left out was the Advil, still sitting in her pocket, it would go unused until her moms morning hangover which would be healed with three of them and more vodka.

“Ellie...” was all he could say. He wrapped her in a hug and held her. They stayed like this for some time, watching the waves break, break and break again. Eventually Ellie's eyes closed and she fell asleep.

“Ellie,” the world shook, “Ellie,” It was Edward, waking her up.

“We have to go,” he whispered. The sky was beginning to lighten, sunrise, it had to be almost five in the morning by now. Ellie nodded, her throat was sore and her stomach ached with hunger. She was stiff as she walked to the passenger seat, her clothes were mostly dry, as was her hair.

Edward drove them home, listening to Saosin. He dropped her off in front of her house.

“I'll see you later today,” he said, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

“Later,” could not come soon enough.

She stepped out of the truck and walked across the dead grass of her front yard, Edward drove away, Ellie watched him turn the corner with her hands in her pockets.

Her fingertips found something, she grasped it and pulled out a small plastic bag. There was the Advil, unharmed by the ocean. She walked to the dumpsters on the sidewalk, her eyes were glued to the small orange pills.

Her tired eyes blurred the world, and the dark sky did the rest. Ellie didn't see the car approaching, when the lights reached her eyes it was to late, she froze and watched as the world slowed. The car horn honked as it hit her, throwing her back into the yard.

The female driver screamed and the car screeched away. The world blurred more and the lights dimmed.

The ocean was pulsing on her back, waves pounded against her neck and Edward was holding her up, his ice blue eyes held the adoration she'd always wanted.

“I love you Ellie.”

Ellie, Ellie, Ellie...

The world went dark, feelings faded. Two ice blue eyes stared down at her.

“Ellie.” The eyes faded away.

A girl walked out of the dark, her auburn hair was wet and her tattered clothes were soaked.

“Did you forget about me?” The girl asked.

“Liza?” Ellie whispered, blood dripped out of her mouth.

“Yes, you thought you got rid of me didn't you. The world doesn't want you here Ellie.”

“Edward does.”

“He'll break your heart, just like everyone else,” Liza said.

“He wont,” Ellie said.

“It doesn't matter now El, its to late.”

“It cant be to late, help me,” Ellie pleaded, she coughed, more blood coated her face, dripping from everywhere, dark rivulets ran down to the grass.

“I cant help you.”

Liza left, the dark was back, and soon even that was gone.

Ellie laid sprawled out in the dead grass, and in her hand was a handful of tiny orange pills.

ok, this is my first time with third person. And this is a short story, not a part of a novel or anything. So, i hope you liked it.

Wed May 02, 2007 3:32 am
JC says...

Thanks again for reading it! If you ever want me to read something of yours just tell me. :)

-JC

Wed May 02, 2007 3:26 am
mateeah3 says...

Wow.

I was so used to Ellie when it talked about Liza it took me a second or two to realize who she was.

I really liked this story. Really, really liked it.

You truely have talent.(In my opinion .)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:10 am
Certainly Love says...

I'm so proud of you. You rock at third person. Keep up the good work.

JC says...

no, she was carrying the Advil around so she could kill herself later. And you seeing as she was going to kill herself she didn't really care if she bled out

Meep wrote a review...

(I don't think I have the time or attention span to finish this all in one go, but ...)

First off, razor blades don't rip, they slice.
You also mention that she'd been cutting deeper and deeper and going to bed still bleeding. (Or, at least that was how I understood the "bloody sheets" dealie.) If she's cutting herself very deeply at all, especially on her arms or legs, there's a very good chance she could bleed out if she's not watching carefully and doing something to stem the blood flow.

Was she carrying around the Advil as her means of suicide? I'm not sure you could kill yourself on an Advil overdose alone. (If you injested a lot of it and then cut yourself, you'd bleed out fast because it's a blood thinner. Is that why she had it?)

(I am running out of time and attention span. I will try to get back to this later. I just wanted to put in that technical note.)

PirateQueen wrote a review...

I loved it! Other than some typos it was great. I liked how you made liza and ellie like different people. Aslo it would have been nice to know a little bit more about Edward and his past. The ending was sad but good. You did great keep it up

#Queen of the Pirates#

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:56 am

I love your descriptions. A few typos. What is Edward's past? I would like to know more about Edward. I like the change from Liza to Ellie. Very good. Hope to hear more!

Alainna says...

The irony used in this story works really well and as the story progresses you find yourself willing her not to take the pills. It's a great piece.

I'll be looking out for more of your stuff because this is really good.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:31 pm
blonde&confused wrote a review...

I really enjoyed reading this, it had a really nice plot and i especially liked the irony of the ending.

Only real flaws i could find were a couple of (i assume) typing errors like this:'The only she left out was the Advil' which is missing the word thing.

keep writing, i can't wait to read more of your stuff.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:51 am
JC says...

well i posted another story in third peron, its in 2 sections this time its called running from yourself

Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:56 am
Foreseer wrote a review...

Woah!

Awsome job with this. I really liked the way you introduced Ellie, nice. I guess it wasn't long enough, 'cause I want to read more. What do you mean she died? :cry: Poor Edward. Anyway, for it being your first third p.o.v. it was good. Can't wait to read more from you.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:42 pm
sevendeadlysins says...

Dammit. I became really attached to her.

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:06 am
JC says...

Well, no Ellie dies...that was kinda the irony of the story.

Wiggy says...

I really liked this story. I'm not normally the emo/romance type, but Ellie definitely created pity for me! I still feel sorry for her!

Good job!

sevendeadlysins says...

Wow, I really, really like that! :D I just loved it all. One question, does she survive?

Janey x

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
— S.E. Hinton