The Mystery of Amaryllis

by Itramsunshine

My Life started in a very unusual kind of way. My Mum says it was a miracle. I’m still not sure.

Mum and Papa had just been told that they were unable to have children. They were on their way home, when they heard a sound. A baby crying.

Papa tells me that he is not completely sure about what happened next. He and Mum say they felt drawn to a bush of Amaryllis flowers, and they found me in it. Because of that, my name became Amaryllis.

Faithful people say that I was a gift from god to my parents and a miracle. Reasonable people say that my biological parents probably abandoned me in the bush. Though my flaming red hair is exactly the same shade of red than the flower’s.

But, like I already said before, I’m not sure where I came from.

I’ve loved the forest since I was a child. I could stay there for a hundred years and never get tired. We live in a cottage deep into the woods. Since the Amaryllis flower bush ‘miracle’, my Mum has planted the flower all around the house. As for the original bush, she transplanted it into my room when I was five. That was because I had just been told the story of my arrival into my parents’ life, so I stayed one whole day sitting next to the bush, touching its soft petals and observing the pattern of colors, until sundown. Even then they had to carry me into the house.

I walk through the forest every day, and my love for it grows each time I do so. It just seems so magical to me. They way that everything seems in complete utter silence, but not really. It’s never silent. Nature sings constantly. There is the occasional ruffle of leaves, the singing of the birds, the sound of the water that flows down the river, the sound of my breath and heartbeat.

I love the way that your eyes can’t seem to take it all in because it is too much, too beautiful, so majestic that our mere human eyes can’t process it.

Every time people ask me where I think I came from, I say that nature is my other mother, even if it ends up been a random woman that abandoned me. And I genuinely feel that she is connected to me. When I’m sad I run to her, and she makes me smile. When I’m angry, she calms me down. And when I’m happy she helps me embrace it. She is always there for me, that’s for sure.

Wed May 03, 2017 6:22 am

Hello there,

I like the optimistic, happy voice that is so present throughout this short piece. There is not a hint of negativity, even when the speaker considers whether she was abandoned by her biological family, and that's kind of refreshing and nice.

I feel like I'd like to see more development of her parents' characters through her eyes. Like, I wonder how they feel when they plant the amaryllis in her room because she stayed out all day looking at it. Are they still just thankful to have any child at all, or are they worried because the child they ended up with is doing something normal children wouldn't? I know the story mentions that her mother planted amaryllis all around, and that also makes me wonder is the mother planting for her daughter or kind of like a thank-you note to whoever/whatever the mother thinks helped these events to occur? How does her father feel?

The other place I think clarification could help would be when you mention "the forest". What forest? The forest outside their house? The forest outside the town? How far away is it? How do the townspeople think about it?

Finally, there was just a bit of grammatical confusion in the last paragraph here:

I say that nature is my other mother, even if it ends up been a random woman that abandoned me. And I genuinely feel that she is connected to me.

Right now, the "she" in the second sentence refers to "a random woman that abandoned me" rather than "nature". You can fix this just by saying "nature" again!

I hope these thoughts were helpful to you! If you have any questions/comments about my review, please PM me or reply here.

Thanks for sharing,

Hannah

Tenyo wrote a review...

Hi Itramsunshine!

This is really cute.

Generally I'm not a fan of works that involve a person who is born special (call me a cynic,) so normally I wouldn't enjoy this kind of story. I'll make an exception for this one. What I really like is how Amaryllis views her unique circumstances with a very humble appreciation. It feels like she uses them to enhance her own life and seek happiness within herself, by walking through the forest and appreciating nature, without trying to separate herself or make herself seem better than others.

I think what I'd like to see is a bit more narrative not focused around Amaryllis. Her Mum and Papa seem like quite interesting people, so I'd like to hear a bit more about their personalities and the way they interact with each other and the world around them.

I particularly like the last paragraph, it sums the piece up quite nicely. Amaryllis talks about her own love of the forest, but also the love of her adoptive parents. Rather than being an outcast, she's a person who finds a way to connect with both worlds, and the last paragraph sums this up really well.

Good work. Keep it up =]

DragonNoir wrote a review...

I think this is a very beautiful piece, because it really emphasises the beauty of nature. It also has a twist of mystery, which is also effective. I like how the girl has a strange connection with Nature, but the one thing that's missing is whether her adoptive parents noticed this. Overall, a very good story. (P.S. You write 'God' with a capital 'G', just saying)

"The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings. It is a sad spectacle to see the weaklings bruised, exhausted, fluttering back to earth."
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening