If I spent a hundred years with you

by Isbah

If I spent a hundred years talking of you,

it would still not be enough.

Something would keep reaching out to me,

touching a place deep inside my heart.

----------

If I heard your laughter everyday,

it would still not be enough.

I'd long for more,

until I longed for too much.

-----------

If I saw your smiles,

it would still not be enough.

It's not enough to see them,

I have to be the reason.

-----------

If I held your hand,

it would still not be enough.

I'd still cry at nights,

because I'm not the one you love.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:25 am
AJW wrote a review...

This is a very short, sweet, endearing, and sad poem. That's a lot of words to describe something but I couldn't be more right. The thought of loving someone you could never be with is painful. No matter how much you love them they could never reciprocate those feelings. To see them laughing at a joke that someone else made. You are happy for them, but then you are stuck holding your heart within your own hands.

There is also the thought of them being with you but their heart is elsewhere. They could kiss you, hold you, comfort you. But their heart may be elsewhere. Or perhaps their mind as well.

Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:16 am
Youbeaucupid wrote a review...

Hello there Isbah! Cupid here with a review! <3

First of all whoa, this is such a lovely poem and it's a bit sad. But that's okay so let's get into it!

So, your poem beautifully captures the bittersweet yearning experienced in matters of the heart. And of course, since I'm a sucker for repetition, your repetition of the phrase "it would still not be enough." creates such an evoking sense of longing and desire that resonates throughout your verses.

The lines move gracefully, revealing such a deep emotional connection to the poem. The idea that no matter how much time, laughter, or smiles they'll experiences there remains an insatiable desire for more. In your final lines you bring a touch of melancholy, highlighting the raw vulnerability of not being able to hold the person's heart in the same way they hold yours. Overall, I can tell you put a lot of thoughts and emotion into this poem, and pulled it off amazingly!

Continue to write, you have great potential! That's all for now!

Fly high writer, Cupid.

Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:48 pm
RavenAkuma wrote a review...

Hello there, friend!

I noticed your work in the Green Room and thought I'd review it. I noticed you mentioned that this was your first attempt at poetry, and I have to say, for a first-time piece, this is incredible!

The poem's theme of being in love feels like it slowly turns from a touching romantic theme, to a more somber theme of "losing out" on the one you love. It's one of those classic stories where the impact still delivers.

The consistent repetition of "If...it would still not be enough" gives the poem a nice structure and theme, and really drives in the feeling of yearning. The third stanza is probably my favorite of all, as it's where that aforementioned mood-shift seems to occur, and the innocence of just admiring someone turns into the need to be admired by them in turn. "I have to be the reason." That line alone speaks volumes. Then, of course, the final stanza brings the pain and sorrow of when that love is not reciprocated, and delivers a strong finish that makes the whole poem really stick out and leaves an imprint on the reader's mind.

Of course, this is just what I gleaned from this piece, and I'm not a professional.

Overall, I can tell you put a lot of emotion into this poem, and it did not fail. I hope you continue to explore poetry, because you have talent! :)

Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:38 pm
starbean wrote a review...

Hi! I hope you're doing well. Star/Hannah here for a review. I hope it's helpful!

First Impression:
This is a poem about love and loss. It was an accurate representation of feelings you have for other people, and it was sweet, well-written, and at the same time heart-wrenchingly sad. Few poets are able to combine all three on their first time, so great job!

Glows:
I loved the repetition and formatting in this. It makes what you are trying to convey easier to understand, and the way you separated the stanzas made sense.
In poetry, whether or not to capitalize or add punctuation really depends on the poem itself, and I feel like it was a good choice to capitalize and add punctuation for this particular poem.

Grows:
I feel like the first stanza doesn't really fit with the rest of the poem. In the other ones, the words flow well together and almost but not quite rhyme, and they also have a steady rhythm. The first stanza doesn't seem to have that, which isn't exactly wrong, but consistency is good in poetry. Another thing is that the first line doesn't quite make sense to me-is it: "talking of you"? or "talking to you"? and the last line could maybe be shortened. But this is a small nitpick, and you are the writer, not me, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm only thirteen :)

Overall:
This was a beautiful poem and a great read. I loved it so much and if this is your first time, it certainly is not a bad attempt. It's a great one and I wish I could write like this.

I hope my review was helpful! Have a great morning/afternoon/evening/night, and late welcome to Young Writers Society!

Hannah/Star

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien